7 posters
AuthorMessage
MrsClaus
MrsClaus

Female
Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2013-12-04

Trying to brave Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trying to brave   Trying to brave EmptyFri 17 Jan 2014, 9:09 am

Lexiswan!!! Holy wow, good on you. Very exciting. You are more than welcome to join Feb group
Back to top Go down
kazbo

Female
Number of posts : 95
Registration date : 2012-03-25

Trying to brave Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trying to brave   Trying to brave EmptyFri 17 Jan 2014, 6:39 am

congrats beajai on your recent sleeve and Lexiswan - congratulations to you too! on making it to the apt and making the decision to get sleeved. I reckon you are lucky to be getting it done so quick, not enough time to stress and worry...just get it over and done with and get on with your life.

YAY!!
Back to top Go down
beajai
beajai

Female
Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2014-01-07

Trying to brave Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trying to brave   Trying to brave EmptyThu 16 Jan 2014, 6:38 am

Hi Lexiswan
I just had my sleeve done last Wednesday.  Even without your medical history I was absolutely terrified!  It's just so irreversible.  "Okay, I've changed my mind, can I please have that 2/3 of my stomach back that you took away?"
Even lying in the pre-op room waiting for the anaesthetic to kick in I was wondering if it was too late to back out.
But, so far no regrets at all.  Apparently the nausea thing is very individual.  The only nausea I have had so far was in recovery, and that was probably more from the anaesthetic than anything else.  I've been a small amount of pain/discomfort, but nothing to write home about.  
I think it's very hard to predict, because it seems that everybody is individual in how they feel and what they go through.
I think counselling sounds like a great idea.  
Good on you for going ahead and making the appointment.
I wish you the very best of luck with your decision and your procedure. xo
Back to top Go down
Lexiswan
Lexiswan

Female
Number of posts : 155
Registration date : 2013-01-10

Trying to brave Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trying to brave   Trying to brave EmptyThu 16 Jan 2014, 3:02 am

Thank you everyone for being so supportive, especially when I am rambling my fears out here.

I have decided to see a psychologist while I go through this journey. It's funny because I recommend counselling for so many of my clients. It'll be nice to have professional support.

Sianaba - I had my husband go with me to the surgeon today. I am so glad I didn't go alone. I was going to bail while I was in the waiting room. I think Dr K does have patients that I could contact. I might give his office a call this afternoon. I didn't ask while I was in there! (Literally a deer in headlights). Thank god I had done research about the sleeve beforehand because I wouldn't have absorbed anything the Dr said!!

Mrs Claus - I didn't cancel!!! I went today and guess what!?! booked for Jan 28th. My surgeon had a spot free so I snapped it up. Am now crapping my pants!!!!
I can't believe your bub was 5.2kg!! You are one tough cookie!!! This surgery will be a breeze for you.
Back to top Go down
Sianaba

Female
Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2013-11-06

Trying to brave Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trying to brave   Trying to brave EmptyWed 08 Jan 2014, 2:31 pm

Hi Lexiswan

I do have fear about getting the operation but every time I do I think of some close friends I know that have had it done and they couldn't be more happy that they did it. Some times it helps to know someone who has had it done. On a forum it is somewhat different than to actually know someone.
I wonder if the surgeon would be able to put you in contact with other sleever's he or she has done? Alternatively try to catch up with sleevers on here that live in your area.

Do you have a friend or family member that can go with you to your appointments. A little extra support might help.

I know what you mean about the size 20's. I absolutely hate mine!!

From personal experience it definitely can help to see a psychologist just to unload any and all concerns. A lot of the time you don't realise what you are holding on to.

I hope the surgeon can put you at ease and give you some helpful resources about your concerns.
All the best :)
Back to top Go down
MrsClaus
MrsClaus

Female
Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2013-12-04

Trying to brave Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trying to brave   Trying to brave EmptyMon 06 Jan 2014, 10:06 am

Hi again Lexiswan,

some great advice already, but the big news, I am so proud of you making the appointment. That's great, do.not.cancel. It's just a consult. I was really excited when I met my surgeon, enjoyed the process but I'd already made my mind up I needed WLS and have no phobia, high pain threshold (birthing 3 x naturals, last bub being 5.2kg, wowsers).

Can I ask a sneaky question.... are you still considering Feb 14 as an option or PHI still waiting?

And your BMI, that's on the low end, like mine, we will be ok
Back to top Go down
kazbo

Female

Trying to brave Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trying to brave   Trying to brave EmptyMon 06 Jan 2014, 9:02 am

well done on biting the bullet, getting the referral and making the appointment! YEAH!

FWIW when I was banded, the worst pain was the bruise on my hand were they put the canula in and that was pretty minor. The belly area was just uncomfortable and tender as opposed to painful.
Back to top Go down
bluebags
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female
Number of posts : 2204
Registration date : 2013-01-21

Trying to brave Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trying to brave   Trying to brave EmptyMon 06 Jan 2014, 8:58 am

Although this is a very major op it is surprising how little the pain is.  Yes some people do say they suffered pain and bruising but not all I had very little actual pain just discomfort and I had a hernia fixed at the same time the cutting is internal through keyhole the difference to other open operations is astounding I have had a Cesar and expected something like that.  It was nothing remotely like it I was very pleased.  How your Dr does the surgery has a bearing on pain and discomfort mine does not use drains or give the swallow test after I had a really tiny amount of bruising just around one side of the belly button cut the largest cut it was only about 2cms I had another almost as big and 3 like pimples amazing.

Many people fear hospitals and Drs my fear is of Dentists after a bad experience as a child but I just get sedatives for all work you can use more meds then others if necessary.
Having fear of the operation is justified it can and does go wrong no two ways about that but as you failed with the balloon you need to try something else.  Have you considered using optifast for a month or so to see if that works for you I have friends who lost 12kgs with it over a similar amount of time.  Yes seeing a pyschologist is a good move as you can see if they can help with your fear and with the overeating.

I have just read your new comment Dr Kuzinkovacs is my Dr partner they are very talented and you will be in good hands.
Back to top Go down
Lexiswan
Lexiswan

Female

Trying to brave Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trying to brave   Trying to brave EmptyMon 06 Jan 2014, 8:42 am

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the messages. I have actually just been to the GP and I have the referral in my hot little hand. And I am booked in for next Thursday to see Dr Kuzinkovas for the initial consult. My hands were shaking the whole time I was on the phone with the receptionist (who seems very sweet by the way). But, I did it!

Trying to brave 542174

I know that the fears are irrational. And the forum has helped a lot with relieving the anxiety. I've been reading through people's diaries, and I don't think that they have sugar coated their journey's. So, that does help with putting complications in perspective.
Back to top Go down
Me

Female
Number of posts : 154
Registration date : 2013-08-14

Trying to brave Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trying to brave   Trying to brave EmptyMon 06 Jan 2014, 3:27 am

Hi Lexiswan, 

Do your research on a number of surgeons to ensure you choose one who is excellent at what they do. 

Also ensure that you discuss in details the problems you had with the reaction to the previous anaesthetic so you don't suffer a similar reaction in future. 

And yes I agree with kazbo that you do need to speak further with someone in the medical profession in relation to your fears of surgery and then look to proceed with the support you have obtained as it can be rather nerve racking. 

Good luck. 

me
Back to top Go down
kazbo

Female

Trying to brave Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trying to brave   Trying to brave EmptyFri 27 Dec 2013, 5:06 am

Hi Lexi

Sounds like you have been through the wars for a long time!

I thoroughly recommend you see a counsellor, psychologist or even hypnotherapist to help you with your white coat syndrome and fear (or is phobia a better word??)

Even us that don't have a fear of doctors or surgery still have to deal with our fears and concerns that comes with having this surgery. I guess the difference is that someone like me can recognise that those thoughts, fears and concerns are a part of the process and will pass, and that the chance of complications are very, very low.

Even what you post in here suggests an irrational thought process that no forum can help fix for you, although there is a definite benefit of talking it out, sounding out others who have gone before you, etc. But if you have deep psychological issues or your subconscious is messing with you, then you really need to talk to a professional.

And no, morbidly obese doesn't mean a death sentence.

The fact that you are reaching out and realising that your thoughts are stopping you from moving forward suggests that you are on your way to allowing yourself to be better, healthier and well!
Back to top Go down
Lexiswan
Lexiswan

Female

Trying to brave Empty
PostSubject: Trying to brave   Trying to brave EmptyFri 27 Dec 2013, 1:41 am

Hey everyone,

I'm lexi from sydney. I've been following some of your stories pre and post sleeve and thought it was time I officially introduced myself and joined this community.
So, here I am. :-)
I've got about 40 kg to lose. 50 would be the bomb to get back to where I was before but thats almost half of me now! it just seems impossible.
I've written in a few threads so some people will know that I was really sick when I was younger, in and out of hospital. I have white coat syndrome from all of that I think. So scared of doctors. it was that fear that led me to make the decision to have the gastric balloon, instead of permanent WLS. After 5 months of constant nausea, vomiting and reflux the doctor finally admitted defeat and took it out. I only lost 4kg during that time.
So that experience has just added to my phobia...
Right now I have phi covered, the savings, the leave I'd ned to take from work, and a very supportive husband to get me through this...
The only thing stopping me is me...
The idea of being cut into again, of being sick again, of facing complications.
I don't understand how I let myself get so out of control and addicted to food that the best solution for my future is to remove more than half of my healthy stomach....I am so disappointed with myself.
The other day I went to put on my size 20 pants and they were snug. theres enough material there for a tent! ugh!
I know I need to do something about this. I've being classified as being morbidly obese. Morbid! That means death! I'm only 30. How am I going to live the next 50 or more years, god willing, with a condition that means death!
Am I just psyching myself out with how sick I'll be after surgery and how much it will hurt? does the nausea go away?
I have made a promise that I will contact a surgeon in the new year. Trying to be brave
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Trying to brave Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trying to brave   Trying to brave Empty

Back to top Go down

Trying to brave
Page 1 of 1