Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
duzme

Female
Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2013-11-22

Optifast tips.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Optifast tips.    Optifast tips.  EmptySat 23 Nov 2013, 1:36 pm

Tis now a week post surgery with no real problems, but I do follow the dietician's instructions very closely
I had no problems with the pre sleeve diet but was sick of it after 2 weeks
I existed on Optislim, vegetables and clear soup that I'd made fresh to maximise the nutrition
I was getting - I don't want to omit any nutrition and have my hair fall out
I cooked a big pot of either beef or chicken and vegetable soup every few days, let it chill in the fridge over night, scrape off the fat and seperate the clear soup with a colander and it was yumm
I lost about 6 kilos in that 2 weeks prior to the op
Had only the expected pain from bruising internally and some wind after the op and up to now
On my puree diet I take the time to blend my meats with different gravies as if it were a normal meal and eat about 1/2  cup for lunch and dinner with lots of tiny little snacks of diet jelly, custard and yoghurt (try Toddler Yoghurt Buttons also) eg of meals: blend the meat from my curry sausages, blended a grilled steak with mushroom gravy that I made from my own mushroom soup, blended steamed fished with shallots, lemon, fish sauce, soy sauce, chilli/ ginger optional with a little milk
So far so good and no real pain after discovering early that sucking more than a quarter of a teaspoon of food at a time will cause some pain - I get through about half a small bowl every few hours and manage about 1200 mls of water also
One week later and I'm feeling like my old self and walking without any pain also
Can't wait to get past the 4 weeks puree and move to the soft diet with a little more variety
Hope this helps other newbies!
Back to top Go down
Geoffrey W
Part of the furniture
Geoffrey W

Male
Number of posts : 271
Registration date : 2013-10-24

Optifast tips.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Optifast tips.    Optifast tips.  EmptyWed 20 Nov 2013, 6:12 am

My tip for opti is...... Go on it for as long as possible! 

I hated it, I didn't mind it, I grew to like it! Sometimes all 3 in the 1 day. 
So far my surgery has been a success in regards to pain. Shit myself when I woke up and didn't feel any pain! I honestly thought the didn't do the operation!!!
I asked my surgeon about no pain and he said it had a lot to do with everything inside my stomach being smaller. With there being more room things aren't stretched and pulled as much. 

I cheated all the time, the best I could last was about 3 days without a slip up. Sometimes the slip up would last all day but I still started back up on opti. My last slip up was 3 days before the op and on all things fish and chips! Boy did I feel down on myself! 
I'm telling you this so you don't you need to be strong all the way through. 
The more weight you can loose the less pain after surgery. 

Good luck everyone
Back to top Go down
stuss28
stuss28

Female
Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2013-05-17

Optifast tips.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Optifast tips.    Optifast tips.  EmptyFri 15 Nov 2013, 7:48 am

I enjoyed my opti Hot both the chocolate and the coffee so would make them with hot water,

I couldn't really do the cold thing unless really cold so I would make it with ice and water and shake the crap out of it.

Good luck to those starting
Back to top Go down
veronica simcoe
Part of the furniture
veronica simcoe

Female
Number of posts : 385
Registration date : 2013-02-26

Optifast tips.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Optifast tips.    Optifast tips.  EmptyWed 13 Nov 2013, 6:27 am

Geoffrey W wrote:
Not up to that stage but I'll be blitzing the soup then straining it.
Im not either but I want to make up some soups this weekend so Im ready when I need them
Back to top Go down
Geoffrey W
Part of the furniture
Geoffrey W

Male

Optifast tips.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Optifast tips.    Optifast tips.  EmptyWed 13 Nov 2013, 6:24 am

Not up to that stage but I'll be blitzing the soup then straining it.
Back to top Go down
veronica simcoe
Part of the furniture
veronica simcoe

Female

Optifast tips.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Optifast tips.    Optifast tips.  EmptyWed 13 Nov 2013, 5:30 am

tumultuous-tara wrote:
Veronica,

"Water"  it down with extra stock or carnation evaporated milk (if it is a "creamy" soup). Even a packet of french onion soup.

Clear really just means super runny with no lumps especially after the first few days.

Cheers
Tara
thanks Tara
Back to top Go down
tumultuous-tara
Part of the furniture
tumultuous-tara

Female
Number of posts : 793
Registration date : 2011-11-29

Optifast tips.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Optifast tips.    Optifast tips.  EmptyWed 13 Nov 2013, 5:17 am

Veronica,

"Water"  it down with extra stock or carnation evaporated milk (if it is a "creamy" soup). Even a packet of french onion soup.

Clear really just means super runny with no lumps especially after the first few days.

Cheers
Tara
Back to top Go down
veronica simcoe
Part of the furniture
veronica simcoe

Female

Optifast tips.  Empty
PostSubject: liquid stage   Optifast tips.  EmptyWed 13 Nov 2013, 3:41 am

I also have a question, on my list from the dietician she says to have soup made with meat and vegies and to puree them but even doing that wont make it a clear soup for the first two weeks, any suggestions?
Back to top Go down
veronica simcoe
Part of the furniture
veronica simcoe

Female

Optifast tips.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Optifast tips.    Optifast tips.  EmptyWed 13 Nov 2013, 3:38 am

Geoffrey W wrote:
Well it's a dreaded part of the journey for most. Some lucky and only get 2 weeks while for others it's 6! 

So I thought it would be a good idea to get a tips thread going. Whether those tips are on where to buy, how to manipulate flavours, whatever your thoughts are on opti here's the place. 

My tips.

Buy the mixed verity of shakes to start. Everyone's tastes are different so be guided by your tastes. 

If you are struggling with the soups (I found them chalky) add a little curry powder or chilli powder, garlic, herbs or whatever you like. It ups the flavour and makes them taste nice. 

I find by adding ice to the shakes or making them early and putting them in the freezer to chill makes them taste nicer. 

Anyway over to you
thanks for that Geoffrey might try that myself
Back to top Go down
Geoffrey W
Part of the furniture
Geoffrey W

Male

Optifast tips.  Empty
PostSubject: Optifast tips.    Optifast tips.  EmptyWed 13 Nov 2013, 3:33 am

Well it's a dreaded part of the journey for most. Some lucky and only get 2 weeks while for others it's 6! 

So I thought it would be a good idea to get a tips thread going. Whether those tips are on where to buy, how to manipulate flavours, whatever your thoughts are on opti here's the place. 

My tips.

Buy the mixed verity of shakes to start. Everyone's tastes are different so be guided by your tastes. 

If you are struggling with the soups (I found them chalky) add a little curry powder or chilli powder, garlic, herbs or whatever you like. It ups the flavour and makes them taste nice. 

I find by adding ice to the shakes or making them early and putting them in the freezer to chill makes them taste nicer. 

Anyway over to you
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Optifast tips.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Optifast tips.    Optifast tips.  Empty

Back to top Go down

Optifast tips.
Page 1 of 1