AuthorMessage
Suzy77
Part of the furniture
Suzy77

Female
Number of posts : 488
Registration date : 2012-08-28

Thought I was having a heart attack!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thought I was having a heart attack!!   Thought I was having a heart attack!! EmptyMon 07 Oct 2013, 3:42 am

I've heard of two people who ended up in hospital due to pain caused by popcorn post op tho some seem to have no problem. It's weird! I avoid it just in case, specially with my issues!

The pain also sounds a bit like a gallstone attack. I was convinced I'd had a heart attack once and that's what it turned out to be. Huge gallstones caused by years of yo yo dieting. Never been more frightened in my life! If it happens again I suggest seeing your gp tho if it's chest pain they always say go straight to emergency just in case. Better to be safe than sorry. If the gallbladder needs to come out it's usually a quick me night op so not as serious as the sleeve.

Xxx
Back to top Go down
lin1970
Top Poster
Top Poster
lin1970

Female
Number of posts : 3316
Registration date : 2011-11-18

PostSubject: Re: Thought I was having a heart attack!!   Thought I was having a heart attack!! EmptyMon 07 Oct 2013, 3:25 am

You may have experienced Dumping Syndrome.
Back to top Go down
Shellpei
Shellpei

Female
Number of posts : 129
Registration date : 2013-03-03

PostSubject: THANK YOU for this post!   Thought I was having a heart attack!! EmptyMon 07 Oct 2013, 12:52 am

I had the EXACT thing just happen to me this morning!!! I thought I was having a heart attack and almost had my fiance take me to emergency!! 

The only difference is I was doing what I ALWAYS do in the morning, having a few smokes with my morning coffee, which I didn't drink to fast!

It is the most horrible experience I have had since being sleeved 6 months ago! The only reason I didn't go to the ER and knew it was sleeve related was because I started bringing up saliva, which I do if my sleeve isn't happy. No idea why it happened and hope it never happens again, the pain was unbearable. I'm happy I was at home tho not out, I really feel for you being out and about when this happened.

Thank you for posting this!

xx
Back to top Go down
sassyjane
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 557
Registration date : 2012-11-04

PostSubject: Re: Thought I was having a heart attack!!   Thought I was having a heart attack!! EmptySat 14 Sep 2013, 9:05 am

H, I had some Lite Popcorn the other night on it's own and had no problems,was the first I have had since being sleeved in December.It is very rae I have soft drink though,even before the sleeve,and if I have any now it is only a sip of Diet coke from my partners can and that's it. I would say it would have been the combination of the two,bit too gassy and too sweet for the stomach and the combination and outcome was not good.If you keep a diary do take note of it so you can look back to see what upsets you because as we go along we tend to forget. I write down everything I eat every day and highlight anything that has caused me a problem. I have been one of the lucky ones that can pretty much still eat anything but the quantity is greatly reduced,only very strong garlic has made me feel very nauseous once so I just avoid it.Maybe next time you go to the cinema pack something that you know is safe for your stomach and leave the popcorn and coke for the kids lol. It does go to show even after all that time passing you can tend to forget and still find something in that learning curve that brings you back to the reality of the sleeve.
Back to top Go down
Brunie42
Part of the furniture
Brunie42

Female
Number of posts : 339
Registration date : 2013-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Thought I was having a heart attack!!   Thought I was having a heart attack!! EmptySat 14 Sep 2013, 3:08 am

Roxygirl720 you poor thing and sounds awful and thanks for sharing with us all..

So hope you are feeling a lot better today...
Back to top Go down
enough is enough
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 497
Registration date : 2012-09-16

PostSubject: Re: Thought I was having a heart attack!!   Thought I was having a heart attack!! EmptySat 14 Sep 2013, 1:44 am

glad u are ok.
i have heard many ppl say popcorn and fizzy drink causes them issues. I guess combined u had a double whammy.
Back to top Go down
Nini
Part of the furniture
Nini

Female
Number of posts : 952
Registration date : 2013-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Thought I was having a heart attack!!   Thought I was having a heart attack!! EmptyFri 13 Sep 2013, 11:20 pm

Hi Roxigirl720,

What a horrible experience for you and worse that you were out and about. You will have to get the movie out on DVD to see the ending. 

Sometimes the longer we are Sleeved the easier it is to forget the basic rules such as don't drink and eat at the same time, avoid carbonated soft drink and avoid sugary or high fat foods. 

All of these can cause Dumping Syndrome and unfortunately for you this sounds like what you had. The common symptoms are racing heart, severe pain, abdominal cramps, sweating, nausea and light headedness. It won't kill you - it just feels like it will!! 

cheers Nini
Back to top Go down
hopeful22912
hopeful22912

Female
Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2013-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Thought I was having a heart attack!!   Thought I was having a heart attack!! EmptyFri 13 Sep 2013, 10:43 pm

Hi Roxygirl
May well be worth talking to your Dr about, may just have been popcorn / coke but why take  the chance. Good warning for the rest of us though, it is so easy to get carried away with the moment and forget what we are eating / drinking I know popcorn is my weakness especially at the movies the old me could eat a large, plus half my sons whilst watching a movie. 

N
Back to top Go down
roxygirl720

Female
Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2012-01-11

PostSubject: Thought I was having a heart attack!!   Thought I was having a heart attack!! EmptyFri 13 Sep 2013, 8:59 pm

Hi everyone! I'm 8 months post op and life with my sleeve is great. I'm 33 kgs down and life is great. 
I'm posting this experience that happened to me last night whilst sitting in the cinema with my kids. 
I had done the normal tickets...drinks...popcorn thing and in we go to get seats. Whilst getting everyone settled I subconsciously ate some popcorn and (loved it) and also drank some coke straight after. I knew straight away I shouldn't have and can't believe I even did it but then ate some more popcorn! 
There was no immediate problem but about 15-20 minutes later I started getting this weird muscular contractions in my back.  I was a bit breathless (but i think this was from the pain/shock) and then they got stronger and stronger and stronger. It was not unlike labour to be honest and I was very scared. I was panicking quite a bit and left the cinema to try and see if it was back pain from the seats but then it gradually began radiating to my stomach muscles (like I had done a zillion sit ups)   I couldn't get relief and all I wanted to do was lay flat...but I obviously couldn't. 
It lasted about 30-40 minutes then gradually subsided and then went. But now I'm disheartened. Is it from what I ate? Is it the coke (I hardly ever have coke). Could it be the combination of coke & popcorn? Arghhhh. 
It's now 6am and I feel fine......but I'm left wondering!!
Thanks fellow sleevers.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thought I was having a heart attack!!   Thought I was having a heart attack!! Empty

Back to top Go down

Thought I was having a heart attack!!
Page 1 of 1