6 posters
AuthorMessage
k8nco
k8nco

Female
Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2013-04-16

To sleeve or not to sleeve... Empty
PostSubject: Re: To sleeve or not to sleeve...   To sleeve or not to sleeve... EmptyMon 24 Jun 2013, 4:44 am

Hi :)

Nattles I too have a BMI of 40 but am just under 6ft and weigh 158kgs! I also have insulin resistance and PCOS and I am booked in for surgery on the 31st of July. 

I think its the best decision that I have made and cant wait for it and to start the rest of my life.

I am a single mum with two very small children and cant with to be more active with them and start loving life more.

I also want to have another child sometime in the future so this was also a big part of making the decision.

There are so many people on this site that will help you through your journey and answer any questions that you have.

All the best 

K8nco xoxoxo
Back to top Go down
amandasomething

Female
Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2012-12-19

PostSubject: Re: To sleeve or not to sleeve...   To sleeve or not to sleeve... EmptySat 22 Jun 2013, 11:24 pm

What did you end up deciding?
Back to top Go down
Heidi
Part of the furniture
Heidi

Female
Number of posts : 215
Registration date : 2010-10-29

PostSubject: Re: To sleeve or not to sleeve...   To sleeve or not to sleeve... EmptyFri 24 May 2013, 11:02 am

Hi Nattles, good on you for asking questions and considering your options.

I turned 30 weeks before my surgery and like you was a ticking time bomb for diabetes. My BMI was 44.1...

Only you can decide if this surgery is for you, but if your alternative is a lifetime of yo-yo dieting and constant effort to keep the weight off.... do the sleeve. I also weighed up the risks (the stats are good considering this surgery is done on people who are usually in the worst physical shape of their lives), but the benefits far outweighed them. I had better things to focus my energy on in life than constantly fighting my hunger.

Today i'm so happy with my health. Most people remark on my changing appearance, but the real benefit for me is how good I feel. I love exercise these days and love feeling so much lighter and healthier.

All the best kiss
Back to top Go down
nattles

Female
Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2013-05-22

PostSubject: Re: To sleeve or not to sleeve...   To sleeve or not to sleeve... EmptyFri 24 May 2013, 9:40 am

Thanks Ladies!
I think I am leaning towards it the more I read about it. I guess obesity outweighs any risk the surgery will have (assuming the dr and I do eveyrthing right!)

Ill keep you all updated when I book it! I am looking forward to wearing clothes that no longer fit! :D
Back to top Go down
sassyjane
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 557
Registration date : 2012-11-04

PostSubject: Re: To sleeve or not to sleeve...   To sleeve or not to sleeve... EmptyThu 23 May 2013, 1:50 pm

Hi Nattles, like you I am only 5 ft 1 in and at the beginning of last year was 90 kg and it was slowly creeping up.i had cholesterol that was going up sore knee and hip joints plus for years I had suffered bad PF in my left foot and could barely walk,and the more I was on my foot the more I suffered.i had surgery on the foot last July and it was taking ages to heal,having the sleeve done was the best thing done,getting the weight off has healed my foot immensely and I can walk everywhere now,before I could only go a to b driving and that was it.i had the sleeve done in mid December and I feel great now and had a fast recovery and no problems at all and hardly any pain.if I had done this earlier I would not have suffered so long with the dreadful foot pain,now my foot is virtually pain free. Like you I was working my way to diabetes and other health issues so I hope I have nipped them in the bud and will know at my big blood test in about 3 months time .
Back to top Go down
Inot
Inot

Female
Number of posts : 93
Registration date : 2013-01-22

PostSubject: Re: To sleeve or not to sleeve...   To sleeve or not to sleeve... EmptyThu 23 May 2013, 1:11 pm

Ive always struggled.... I decided to get sleeved in March this year at 103 kgs .... Its the best thing ive done my days are no longer consumed with my weightnor what to eat!!! I get up every day relieved that ive done the righ thing and tje scales keep going down :-)
Ive lost 17kg in 10 weeks
Back to top Go down
nattles

Female
Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2013-05-22

PostSubject: To sleeve or not to sleeve...   To sleeve or not to sleeve... EmptyWed 22 May 2013, 4:59 pm

Hello All,

So I have had my initial appointment with the Dr and I am suitable for sleeve surgery. I have an appt with the surgeon of June 17th and it will be decision time then. I am in too minds about having the surgery and I have read many posts on the forum but I think i need some personal support!

I am 28 years old... 5'1 and weigh 91kgs. According to my colleagues at work I apparently look a lot lighter than I actually weigh which is nice :) However I still have a BMI of 40! Booo!

I have insulin resistance and PCOS and find it very difficult to lose weight. I feel that while I am not the most active person in the world, I am not inactive either...I go to the gym, enjoy outdoor activities without getting tired or sore.

My main concern with my weight is ultimately I am a ticking diabetes time bomb and the fact that I just don't lose weight...it slow goes up and up.

Just want to know if there is anyone out there who is / was in a similar situation. Many of my friends are supportive and understand that I have struggled with weight since high school...while others feel that I am not 'big' enough for the surgery and it is a little drastic removing 3/4 of my stomach!

So just want to here what you guys think!

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: To sleeve or not to sleeve...   To sleeve or not to sleeve... Empty

Back to top Go down

To sleeve or not to sleeve...
Page 1 of 1