12 posters
AuthorMessage
zambuck
zambuck

Male
Number of posts : 165
Registration date : 2013-05-22

Wish id never had the surgery Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wish id never had the surgery   Wish id never had the surgery EmptyWed 25 Sep 2013, 12:31 pm

Just had a read of your dramas Viking, JEESSSSUUUSS!!! hope you are over the worst of it and can begin to heal and feel well. The lesson is to listen to your body, and don't take no for an answer if you think something is wrong. The GP needs a good kick in the arse for fobbing off your initial concerns.
Here's to healing mate
Chris
Back to top Go down
Melissaonearth

Female
Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2013-03-03

PostSubject: Re: Wish id never had the surgery   Wish id never had the surgery EmptyWed 25 Sep 2013, 12:17 pm

Oh my gosh Viking, that is dreadful :( So glad to hear that things are improving though. Sending my best wishes and healing thoughts your way.
Back to top Go down
sassyjane
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 557
Registration date : 2012-11-04

PostSubject: Re: Wish id never had the surgery   Wish id never had the surgery EmptyWed 25 Sep 2013, 8:10 am

Hi Viking, oh what painful dramas you have had,hope you can recover well now that the offender is out of there to say the least. It is amazing how quickly our body starts to recover and heal after all we have been through. Any surgery is a risk and another little problem canvcome round and bite you on the arse,i am sure it is to test our resilience and paybacks for trying to lose weight,but we come out tougher cookies for it. Now you are home,just keep your fluids up so you don't dehydrate and I am sure in a couple of days you will start to feel better. take care
Back to top Go down
Viking
Viking

Male
Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2013-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Wish id never had the surgery   Wish id never had the surgery EmptyWed 25 Sep 2013, 5:15 am

well...I thought I'd just take a few minutes to give a bit of an update on my situation....

On saturday 14th I started to go down hill with fevers and chills.
On Sunday 15th I was taken to Flinders Medical with a high fever, abdominal and chest pains.
Preliminary CT scan showed something on my liver.
My surgeon was contacted at like ungodly o'clock and he organised for me to be ambo'ed to Ashfor Hospital.
Next morning more imaging confirmed a tennis ball sized abcess on my liver, directly pressing on the top of my sleeve. They started operating there and then in the radiologists room...never seen so many people come from out of nowhere! After I cold still feel everything after the third local they elected to proceed anyway...I do not recommend anyone ever experience this! Left me in shock, and with a pigtail drain hanging out of my chest. I've been shot, both with a .22 and a hunting arrow, and even taken solid poleaxe and lance hits to the chest...this hurt more! but they did get over 250mls of stinking black tar out of my chest!
I then spent several days apparently getting better with a PIC line in through my arm into my chest for IV fluids and antibiotics because veins everywhere were just collapsing due to the dehydration every day when then went to get blood from me.
Last thursday 19th everything went foul and I was projectile vomiting and Number 3'ing and unable to take more than the tiniest of sips of water again and that was taking minutes to go down painfully.
Then by this monday 23rd after an endoscopy to check on the sleeve and the insides of the plumbing (only showed some minor swelling) the pigtail drain was ready to come out, nursing staff were unable to remove it so the surgeon got it... it had snagged in the scar tissue of my abdominal wall so imagine surgeon pulling the starter cord on a lawnmower 3 or 4 times... thankfully my eyes only swapped sockets with the pain of that and I could see again a while later :-) but damned felt good to have the thing gone, I could breathe deeply again, it just hurt.
Yesterday, 24th my PIC line literally fell out of my arm! Thankfully the surgeon was happy with my improvement enough to organise for my discharge this morning (25th) and I'm now home, still in a bit of pain and discomfort, with a mountain of drugs, absolutely exhausted, and looking at a few more weeks added to the post-op recovery and having to start the post-op diet all over again...but I'm getting better!

So...regretting the op? ... yeah kinda...
sick to death of my bad luck?.... hell yeah!

Just gotta look forward to the stability and weight loss that will eventually come.

Cheers folks,
Viking
Back to top Go down
http://www.firebear.au.com
bluebags
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female
Number of posts : 2204
Registration date : 2013-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Wish id never had the surgery   Wish id never had the surgery EmptySat 21 Sep 2013, 7:50 am

When in constant pain and unable to keep water or diet cordial down you should immediately seek medical help if you can't see your surgeon then contact the hospital you had the op at and get there advise.  Evergreen was just one of several who had severe complications in the last 12 mths some are still trying to recoup. 

If it turns out that nothing is wrong then fine but don't hesitate to check your long term health is a stake.
Back to top Go down
emmybell83

Female
Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2013-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Wish id never had the surgery   Wish id never had the surgery EmptyThu 19 Sep 2013, 3:19 am

Hi Evergreen,
You poor thing - here i was feeling sorry for myself 4 weeks post op - have felt sick the entire time and its not pleasant, i am over it honestly - but then to read about you - I am thinking of you - hope you do have a speedy recovery.

Viking - thats terrible, i would demand to see your surgeon and demand an answer what your going through is disgraceful you poor thing.

I am going to see my surgeon tomorrow and demand answers for my problems, and mine arent as bad as yours. Thinking of you too during this hard time.
Back to top Go down
Balisunset
Part of the furniture
Balisunset

Female
Number of posts : 358
Registration date : 2013-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Wish id never had the surgery   Wish id never had the surgery EmptyMon 16 Sep 2013, 6:04 am

Hi Evergreen,

So sorry to hear about your problems. I hope everything is resolving itself.  Any update would be appreciated so we know how you are going?

Best wishes and hopefully you are on the road to recovery.Wish id never had the surgery 217555
Back to top Go down
lin1970
Top Poster
Top Poster
lin1970

Female
Number of posts : 3316
Registration date : 2011-11-18

PostSubject: Re: Wish id never had the surgery   Wish id never had the surgery EmptySat 14 Sep 2013, 12:39 pm

Viking - that is disgusting. I'd get in to the surgeon asap. no waiting for next appt
Back to top Go down
Viking
Viking

Male
Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2013-08-21

PostSubject: Hoping you're doing better Evergreen...   Wish id never had the surgery EmptySat 14 Sep 2013, 10:33 am

Hiya Evergreen,
I sympathise with you! I'm in a similar mind set myself. 
Im now almost three weeks since my surgery, and just on two weeks since escaping from hospital...I was in hospital longer than the normal 2 days, partly because I was getting hiccups everytime I swallowed which would feel like being punched in sternum and last, several per minute, for upto 4 hours at a time - nursing staff didn't feel it was worth writing in my charts for the surgeon to see and I was discharged with buscopan that solved it dead after my wife cracked a wobbler at the surgeon. 
If anything it's now harder and more painful to get anything down my throat at all, even water. I'm supposed to be drinking at least 1.5litres of water a day, and be eating at least 60-80 grams of protein in "mushy" format per day. That's proving to be a joke! I'm getting down about 500mls of water and maybe one upNgo or Optislim a day. As a result I have no energy, and seem to be awake for a couple of 2 hour times each day, and in a hell of a lot more pain than when I left hospital. Almost constant reflux, swallowing water hurts like a bugger, as does burping, and then there's the random "kicked in the chest" feeling or the random "innards being squeezed" feelings that just go to mix it all up a bit and make it all unpredictable. I also have a very badly smashed up lower back, and simply cannot lie on my back. Unfortunately, flat on my back is the only position that gives any ease to any of the various chest pains I'm getting. This means that I also get to deal with barely being able to sit, let alone walk around and get anything done when I am awake! Now I'm no wuss either, I've nodded off whilst being tattooed, but there's gotta be a limit to how long this screws up! At the 6 days mark when I had all the staples pulled I mentioned all this to the GP who works with my surgeon...his only response was to grunt and ask me to come back in 5-6 weeks. So I'm thinking I'm just gonna get on the phone monday and demand an appointment with the surgeon...

At least on the good side of this I'm now back down to the waist measurement I was a month BEFORE the surgery 

So stick with it Evergreen, you're not alone, and good on you for getting some of the problems taken care of too! Wish id never had the surgery 65317 

Cheers
Viking
Back to top Go down
http://www.firebear.au.com
allaboutme
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 202
Registration date : 2013-01-27

PostSubject: Re: Wish id never had the surgery   Wish id never had the surgery EmptySun 14 Apr 2013, 3:28 am

You have had a tough time Evergreen and my thoughts are with you. I understand you being sick of being sick. It is a slow recovery at the best of times without goi g through what you have been through. Sending you hugs Wish id never had the surgery 217555
Back to top Go down
gruggy
gruggy

Female
Number of posts : 91
Registration date : 2012-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Wish id never had the surgery   Wish id never had the surgery EmptySun 14 Apr 2013, 1:58 am

Just letting you know I'm thinking of you, hoping you have some supportive friends and family and sending positive vibes your way.
Back to top Go down
lin1970
Top Poster
Top Poster
lin1970

Female
Number of posts : 3316
Registration date : 2011-11-18

PostSubject: Re: Wish id never had the surgery   Wish id never had the surgery EmptySun 14 Apr 2013, 1:34 am

Wish id never had the surgery 217555
Back to top Go down
bluebags
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female
Number of posts : 2204
Registration date : 2013-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Wish id never had the surgery   Wish id never had the surgery EmptySun 14 Apr 2013, 1:20 am

Hi hope you will start to feel better very soon. I have not been done yet so can't give advise yet on this procedure but I can say from observations of my mother who has had many operations when things go wrong it does take considerable time to recover.

Not only does it do the body in in also does the head and it not only takes time to build yourself physically but to also to get your self psychologically built up. I think you may feel so down because you have been through an ordeal that you were not really prepared for you had yourself built up for the operation itself and that takes some bulding up for and then the unthinkable has happened. You probably feel very angry sick sore and sorry. To boot with that you can barely eat so building up is even slower but it will happen.

All the other sleevers and bypass people on this site that I have read about like smurfette says that although their path was very rocky they made it in the end. You will too, all of us are thinking of you and I hope later in the day some experienced people will contact you to give better more informed advise.

Good luck evergreen you will live up to your name.

Julie
Back to top Go down
Smurfette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Smurfette

Female
Number of posts : 1272
Registration date : 2010-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Wish id never had the surgery   Wish id never had the surgery EmptySun 14 Apr 2013, 12:59 am

It is easy for me to say all will be better in time and you will look back and be 'lovin your sleeve' like I do; but I had a perfect run. BUT it will improve! I few diaries I have read are so glum and some have leaks and some have other wish 'I had nots'; though at the end of it all ALL I have read; in the long term; all now say they would do it again.

I am sorry you are having a few set backs; it is misforturnate though bear in mind....

Even with a perfect run it is a big adjustment emotionally and physically; it was not a simple operation; it is draining on the body. You will improve and you will loose weight and recover and even though it is early days for you you will love your sleeve in the future. Take care.
Back to top Go down
evergreen

Female
Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2013-02-04

PostSubject: Wish id never had the surgery   Wish id never had the surgery EmptySun 14 Apr 2013, 12:34 am

This is taking all my strength to sit here and write this,,,, since surgery 5 weeks ago i have felt constantly sick, if you can imagine real bad morning sickness,which is comming from my epegastric region, all the reflux meds haven't helped, then they found a leak, which is now resolved after 8 days in hosp, but more blood tests next week and CT..still so frigin sick, im so over it, can manage 3 teaspoon of something for each meal... so weak, taking vitamins, antibiotics nexium..., my energy levels are nil, already taken time off work, so i have to have more, ...i really wish i hadn't don this, but i also hope i can give you all some positive feedback soon too
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wish id never had the surgery   Wish id never had the surgery Empty

Back to top Go down

Wish id never had the surgery
Page 1 of 1