7 posters
AuthorMessage
Analog6
Analog6

Female
Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2013-01-02

Hi from far north NSW Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi from far north NSW   Hi from far north NSW EmptyWed 09 Jan 2013, 7:57 pm

tumultuous-tara wrote:
Odille,

Just so you don't get a shock next Monday - the cost is much nearer $3000 not under $2500.

Tara
Iy's Ok Tara, I shoudl have gone and checked your post but I relied on memory. Everything is working out as my partner will be getting a small settlement from his father's estate in a few months, which will mean I'll have the money to cover the out of pocket cists.

I'm starting to think this is meant to be, although do feel nervous about the actual surgeru as I have a very bad reaction to some anaesthetics, most notably the pethidine group - they make me vomit violently which I am sure would be undesirable after this particular op. But I will discuss it all with the doc when I get to see him.
Back to top Go down
http://odillesphotos.wordpress.com
tumultuous-tara
Part of the furniture
tumultuous-tara

Female
Number of posts : 793
Registration date : 2011-11-29

PostSubject: Re: Hi from far north NSW   Hi from far north NSW EmptyWed 09 Jan 2013, 9:20 am

Odille,

Just so you don't get a shock next Monday - the cost is much nearer $3000 not under $2500.

Tara
Back to top Go down
Analog6
Analog6

Female

PostSubject: Re: Hi from far north NSW   Hi from far north NSW EmptyWed 09 Jan 2013, 9:06 am

Someone has kindly told me I can get it done as an Intermediate patient with Dr Justin Greenslade using my Health Care card so the cost is under $2,500, and the waiting list is only until August 2013. I am waiting to ring him on the 14th when his office re-opens.
Back to top Go down
Jussinger
Jussinger

Female
Number of posts : 168
Registration date : 2012-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Hi from far north NSW   Hi from far north NSW EmptyWed 09 Jan 2013, 7:12 am

Hiya

I am in Lismore but am going to Melbourne for my op as it half the price of the John Flynn hospital costs. My mum got hers done there so I will have support and confidence in the surgeon.

I started on the 12 month wait with private health insurance and now I get sleeved in 3 weeks. I will be out of pocket $4500 roughly.

The 12 months came around quite quickly. This forum is awesome for information
Back to top Go down
kegs
Part of the furniture
kegs

Female
Number of posts : 280
Registration date : 2012-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Hi from far north NSW   Hi from far north NSW EmptyMon 07 Jan 2013, 11:59 am

Hi there, I'm on the mid north coast of NSW and found out today my out of pocket expenses will only be $2000 at the most. My 12 months of being in Bupa will be up in the middle of March and i'm booked in for April for my surgery in Coffs Harbour. I dropped my Super paperwork in to the docs today and he rang me tonight and explained a few things. Being in a country town they try to keep the costs down, So happy to hear that.

Good luck with everything!!!!
Back to top Go down
Analog6
Analog6

Female

PostSubject: Re: Hi from far north NSW   Hi from far north NSW EmptyWed 02 Jan 2013, 5:55 pm

Thanks for those answers, I will have to look into it a bit mnore. I don't have a lot of super, but I will definitely look into the health fund option.
Back to top Go down
jessied
Part of the furniture
jessied

Female
Number of posts : 324
Registration date : 2011-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Hi from far north NSW   Hi from far north NSW EmptyWed 02 Jan 2013, 9:31 am

Welcome Odile

I joined HCF and waited the 12 months for pre-existing conditions. HCF paid all the hospital bills and I paid the surgeons out of pocket charges and the anaesthetist fees. It seems like a huge wait but it is worth it.

good luck with your journey.
Back to top Go down
Tash
Top Poster
Top Poster
Tash

Female
Number of posts : 1492
Registration date : 2011-03-30

PostSubject: Re: Hi from far north NSW   Hi from far north NSW EmptyWed 02 Jan 2013, 5:08 am

Hi Odile
O Clinic (in Sydney) with Dr Taylor does the surgery as a Private Patient through the Public Hospital (Concord) Concord have decided that you now have to qualify for the surgery by having a BMI over 40 and some other co morbidities such as Diabetic, Pre Diabetic, High Blood Pressure. etc. I am sure you could find out more from the Clinic. Out of pocket is under $10,000. If you get private Health and wait the 12 months then it could be more or less than half of this. Lots of people do this. If you go through Concord then also you can sign a paper saying that unless it is the surgeons fault they will cover any ongoing medical costs if by any slim chance there were some complications.
Hope this helps
Tash
Back to top Go down
glenmaree
Part of the furniture
glenmaree

Female
Number of posts : 745
Registration date : 2011-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Hi from far north NSW   Hi from far north NSW EmptyWed 02 Jan 2013, 3:21 am

Hi Odile

There are a couple of options - it is possible through the public health system but the wait times can be very long 4 plus years. Some doctors will do the surgery as a private patient in a public hospital which is cheaper than private patient private hospital.

You can join a health fund, wait 12 months have the surgery - get the bills paid and then drop out - there will still be some out of pocket costs depending on the Doctor - some are a lot more expensive than others.

The other option is to access superannuation if you have any for the entire cost or just the out of pockets - there is a thread devoted to this under paying for your surgery - scroll down towards the bottom of the forum page.

I tell everyone to not self fund using superannuation or savings for the entire cost as if there are any complications it will cost a lot of money - my sleeve surgery cost to the health fund because of complications was $174,000 and my out of pocket costs grew from $4,000 to $10,000. I accessed super for $4,000 and maxed a credit card for the balance.

Good luck with the researching and the decision making. This is a great forum for info and support.

G
Back to top Go down
Analog6
Analog6

Female

PostSubject: Hi from far north NSW   Hi from far north NSW EmptyWed 02 Jan 2013, 1:22 am

I am an overweight female of 59 and have battled my weight for over 40 years. My highest was 135kgs. I lost a lot on a low carb diet, and discovered I was gluten intolerant and lost my migraines - haven't had one for 9 years now and they were 3 a week.

BUT - isn't there always a but - I can't keep it off. In the 14 months tp October 2012, by dieting like crazy (under 20 carbs a day) and swimming 12-20 kms a week, 6 days a week, I went from 122 to 103kgs. Then I got some work, after 28 months unemployed, and after 2 months of not going to the pool I am back to 115 again. It's just bloody hopeless.

I researched bariatric surgeries and I think this seems the best, but I got a quote for a clinic in Qld near me and it was $25,000! I don't even have health insurance.

Then someone on FB who has had the surgery directed me here and said the op can be had in public hospital! And I saw in the Intros someone was getting done in the public system. I also was told join a health fund for 12 motnhs, have the surgery and then drop the insurance. Can you do this? Which is the best fund?

Please, please can anyone tell me any details on how I might get it done? I am at the end of my tether with constant ankle, knee, hip and back pain.

Cheers from a newbie,

Odille

Just dying to get on track for health

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hi from far north NSW   Hi from far north NSW Empty

Back to top Go down

Hi from far north NSW
Page 1 of 1