Australian Gastric Sleeve Support Forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Alarming- eating solids in fluid phase.Newbies take note!

Go down 
+2
margd
shelly25
6 posters
AuthorMessage
ren77
ren77

Female
Number of posts : 182
Registration date : 2012-07-31

Alarming- eating solids in fluid phase.Newbies take note! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alarming- eating solids in fluid phase.Newbies take note!   Alarming- eating solids in fluid phase.Newbies take note! EmptyFri 02 Nov 2012, 12:39 am

Very well said Shelley, I will be sleeved on 14th and couldn't think of putting myself at danger like that. Even during this Opti phase which I have just finished my first week, I have not faltered once. I have read about people 'falling off the wagon' several times on Opti but I consider it to be an IMPORTANT part of the journey to BENEFIT my surgery and post recovery. That alone keeps me sticking to the program because it is such an important process and necessary. Everything I can do to ensure my sleeve is a success, I WILL do. Like you said, it is a tool.
Back to top Go down
shelly25
Top Poster
Top Poster
shelly25

Female
Number of posts : 1776
Registration date : 2009-11-21

PostSubject: Re: Alarming- eating solids in fluid phase.Newbies take note!   Alarming- eating solids in fluid phase.Newbies take note! EmptyTue 30 Oct 2012, 11:02 pm

Chrissy's post also made me think of this-

Doing the preop shakes is a great way to prepare for the changes that you face post op.

I actually started on (kickstart brand )shakes before I had to (about 2 months earlier than required), to get used to cutting down on eating big meals and replacing meals with protien shakes to get used to the liquid phase after the op.

With the shakes I know some are just horrible, but as long as you buy shakes that are VLCD marked on the box/packet they are what you need to be on (Very Low Calorie Diet) then find a brand you like and it will make it much easier to do( but check/consult with you own doctor if it is one that they havent advised-the nutrients/protien/fat listed on the back of the pack needs be vey similiar or the same and it must be VLCD) .

So even though the pre-op is also hard-especially because we still have a normal size tummy, use that period as a transition period to begin reducing portion sizez and increase protien shakes(fluids), so after the op its not such a shock to not be able to eat how we did before the op.

having the sleeve is such a huge transtition but so worth the benefits!

shelly

Alarming- eating solids in fluid phase.Newbies take note! 64827Alarming- eating solids in fluid phase.Newbies take note! 64827
Back to top Go down
glenmaree
Part of the furniture
glenmaree

Female
Number of posts : 745
Registration date : 2011-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Alarming- eating solids in fluid phase.Newbies take note!   Alarming- eating solids in fluid phase.Newbies take note! EmptyTue 30 Oct 2012, 10:23 pm

my understanding is that custard and yoghurt are part of the free fluids phase which is a step up from clear fluid so are therefore counted as a liquid but perhaps one of our medically trained members can clarify this further.

G
Back to top Go down
**Hollie11**
**Hollie11**

Female
Number of posts : 176
Registration date : 2012-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Alarming- eating solids in fluid phase.Newbies take note!   Alarming- eating solids in fluid phase.Newbies take note! EmptyTue 30 Oct 2012, 11:58 am

Well written Shelly - our tummies have been through a major transformation, let the healing process occur and take small steps to achieve the ultimate goal of this procedure - weighing less!
Back to top Go down
chrissy1987
chrissy1987

Female
Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2012-07-29

PostSubject: Re: Alarming- eating solids in fluid phase.Newbies take note!   Alarming- eating solids in fluid phase.Newbies take note! EmptyTue 30 Oct 2012, 10:40 am

I just want to point out that each doctor has their own post op diet that they expect there clients to follow. I was only on liquids for 1 day post op then i was moved to pure, i was having custard and yogurt at hospital. however other people who where in the hospital but were done by a different doctor were on liquids the whole time at the hospital.
I know and understand that the first stages of this process are a B&*()_ but it really is worth it if you stick to the guidelines the Dr gave you. What one doctor recommends for one person might not be suitable for another. I asked my Dr about this and he said that some all doctors use different techniques which will result in the time that it will take for you to be able to eat again.

Before you put anything in your mouth regardless of what stage your in.. remind yourself that you have just had an operation to loose the weight.

I know its very hard to challenge your thinking ...even if you were on opti for 2 or so weeks before. Everyone on this journey needs to change their thinking. Its really hard right after the op as your so used to eating as a source of comfort. (you didnt get to the point of needing WLS if you are not in someway an emotional overeater) learn from your early stages to realize what is hunger and what is emotional hunger... (it hit be like a brick wall when i couldnt eat kfc when i got pissed off).. because you are used to turning to food you may be pushing yourself to fast..

sorry i know i went a bit of track there lol
Back to top Go down
glenmaree
Part of the furniture
glenmaree

Female
Number of posts : 745
Registration date : 2011-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Alarming- eating solids in fluid phase.Newbies take note!   Alarming- eating solids in fluid phase.Newbies take note! EmptyTue 30 Oct 2012, 8:52 am

a great big ditto from me too
Back to top Go down
margd
Top Poster
Top Poster
margd

Female
Number of posts : 2628
Registration date : 2011-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Alarming- eating solids in fluid phase.Newbies take note!   Alarming- eating solids in fluid phase.Newbies take note! EmptyTue 30 Oct 2012, 7:02 am

Well said and yes i to have been shocked how some people were eating food in the first two weeks,only asking for trouble
Back to top Go down
shelly25
Top Poster
Top Poster
shelly25

Female
Number of posts : 1776
Registration date : 2009-11-21

PostSubject: Alarming- eating solids in fluid phase.Newbies take note!   Alarming- eating solids in fluid phase.Newbies take note! EmptyTue 30 Oct 2012, 4:29 am

After reading a few threads lately about newly sleeved members who have began eating food in the fluid phase-I am just dumbfounded as to why anyone would risk the serious complications by doing this?

Doctors have a strict post op procedure to follow for a reason.They are the experts and people should not be going against thier instructions and begin eating solid food off thier own accord.

All doctors have post op guidelines and they do vary between doctors.For example many doctors instructions after the op are-fluids only for 2 weeks, then 4 weeks puree and 2 weeks soft/mushie. (Or similar to this -follow exactly what they tell you to do).

It is alarming as an adminstrator on here that I see people posting that they are eating and I do not want any other members thinking 'oh they done it and were okay so I will try beacause I want to eat something"

PLEASE PLEASE do not do this-you may be the person who ends up in hospital with serious complications from eating a bite of egg or something you think is harmless.Food can get stuck in the staple line and the stomach could leak -so dont risk it.

Seek support by dietition/councillor/doctor if you feel the urge to eat or are not coping-it is a huge change to go through mentally and physically -so get support!

Youve spent all this money and obvioulsy want to change your eating habits so that requires effort to follow doctors /dietitions orders and make the food changes required for the sleeve to be successful.It is not a magic fix it is a tool.

Alao I fear that people who don't follow the docs orders and end up with complications or dont follow the eating plan and dont loose weight or enough weight, will then turn around and bag the sleeve out for not working when infact they have not done the work themselves.

So please members-follow the doctors orders all throught the pre/post op period.

cheers

shelly

Last edited by shelly25 on Tue 30 Oct 2012, 10:52 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Alarming- eating solids in fluid phase.Newbies take note!   Alarming- eating solids in fluid phase.Newbies take note! Empty

Back to top Go down

Alarming- eating solids in fluid phase.Newbies take note!
Page 1 of 1