AuthorMessage
Melinda38
Part of the furniture
Melinda38

Female
Number of posts : 441
Registration date : 2011-09-26

A new extra procedure Empty
PostSubject: Re: A new extra procedure   A new extra procedure EmptySun 30 Sep 2012, 10:10 am

It's all very interesting. However after only just surviving my sleeve I'm glad there was nothing there to further complicate things. There will always be new advances I wonder they'll be doing in 10 yrs?
Back to top Go down
lin1970
Top Poster
Top Poster
lin1970

Female
Number of posts : 3316
Registration date : 2011-11-18

PostSubject: Re: A new extra procedure   A new extra procedure EmptyWed 26 Sep 2012, 2:33 am

http://www.surgeonschoice.com.au/Banded%20Sleeve%20GaBP%20Karcz.pdf

finally found info via google but it was hard to find. there is a band that is placed but has no fluid in it so no need to go into have it refilled etc. And like all procedures there are pros and cons.

cheers
Back to top Go down
lililei87

Female
Number of posts : 187
Registration date : 2012-06-06

PostSubject: Re: A new extra procedure   A new extra procedure EmptyTue 25 Sep 2012, 6:59 pm

I'm curious now because there is conflicting information.

I don't like the idea of a band inside me. But if it's different and it stops the sleeve from stretching, I can understand it's appeal. Does the sleeve really stretch to full capacity? I can believe it will stretch in time but it can't surely go back to full size in 5 years.

And like Lin said, we need to change our behaviours and our relationship with food. Or nothing will help in the long run.
Back to top Go down
lin1970
Top Poster
Top Poster
lin1970

Female

PostSubject: Re: A new extra procedure   A new extra procedure EmptyTue 25 Sep 2012, 2:33 pm

Also thought I'd add that I believe a big thing during this journey is to work out the psychological factors that contributed to weight gain. It can be a very painful process. For myself I need to do this or I'll gain weight back or take on a different addiction :) A new extra procedure 697586
Back to top Go down
lin1970
Top Poster
Top Poster
lin1970

Female

PostSubject: Re: A new extra procedure   A new extra procedure EmptyTue 25 Sep 2012, 9:22 am

hi, will read that website later.

my personal opinion is I don't want a foreign object in my body like some kind of band. I can't see the reason to band the sleeve. I could see the possible damage done aound the sleeve stomach, just like lapband slips, erodes why wouldn't this (yes I still haven't read the website.

I have spoken alot with my surgeon and he said that anyone can gain wait with the sleeve. you might be able to eat 2 servings of food however the food could be laden with calories (ie fried food, creamy sauces etc), you might get to the stage where you are consuming high cal drinks, ie coke - so high in sugar it's not funny. (I have started to buy sugar free lemonade as a treat for Cass just to cut the sugar). Drinking full cream drinks, etc. In a short amount of time you are doubling your cals for the day. I see the reasoning for me to get the sleeve is to help, like a friend said it's like a new start. Dr D also said if you don't use the sleeve to assist you it is like another expensive diet
Back to top Go down
~Trishah~
Top Poster
Top Poster
~Trishah~

Female
Number of posts : 1954
Registration date : 2012-04-15

PostSubject: Re: A new extra procedure   A new extra procedure EmptyTue 25 Sep 2012, 8:10 am

My surgeon also stated you cant stretch the sleeve but it does relax slightly from its new tighness and that you can cheat the sleeve.

I have had a lap band and there is no way I would have a prosthetic device around my stomach again.. once bitten twice shy... there is a reason they castrate animals with an elastic band.

Also having had a lap band and having had it very tight I also know that it is possible to still get down rubbish food and gain weight with it. So I dont really see a huge benefit of a tightening device around the stomach to lose weight.

Having said that, perhaps this device is different and I will be interested to see how it works out. Do you know if it will erode... or slip or cause vometing, or pain and slimming with eating foods that are tough going down as does a lap band.

being a wider band than the lapband it may well work differently
Back to top Go down
sophia
Part of the furniture
sophia

Female
Number of posts : 461
Registration date : 2008-12-10

PostSubject: Re: A new extra procedure   A new extra procedure EmptyTue 25 Sep 2012, 7:27 am

The cynical part of me wonders if the companies that make bands are upset that more people are having the sleeve done and it is cutting into their profit margin... hence a bit of push back and a wondeful idea (by the band company) to suggest popping in a band as well!!!????

One of the big factors in me choosing this surgery was lack of a moveable prosthetic device.

Sophia
Back to top Go down
sassyred
Part of the furniture
sassyred

Female
Number of posts : 657
Registration date : 2011-09-01

PostSubject: Re: A new extra procedure   A new extra procedure EmptySun 23 Sep 2012, 3:52 am

Very interesting indeed! I've never heard about this, but was interested that research quoted was on sleevers 5 - 10 years out because my surgeon said there isn't any relevant data older than 5 years as sleeving procedures have changed so much. The bougie used several years ago was considerably bigger than the ones used now, meaning that patients could eat much bigger portions. He said stretching the sleeve was not possible because of the area of stomach used to create the sleeve.

Having said that opinions between surgeons differ wildly! I'd be keen to read more on this.
Back to top Go down
raniroo
raniroo

Female
Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2012-07-11

PostSubject: Re: A new extra procedure   A new extra procedure EmptyWed 19 Sep 2012, 5:12 am

Very interesting!

Curious as to everyone's thoughts on this.....there is always going to be some new surgery happening...first it was bypass, then it was ballooning, banding, sleeving, banding hypnosis and now banded sleeving. It's a natural progress as studies are performed by the medical field. What works or does not work is well documented, but of course it takes years to put together all the data and following patients to keep aware of everything.

I had the band, which I thought was ideal for me at the time, turns out that the band did alot of damage to my stomach and had some major issues with it. There are hundreds of us out there going through similar issues with band damage. I have had it removed and will be having the sleeve in 2 weeks. Because of all the issues I've had, I don't want a foreign body inside me again, because it could potentially cause more issues down the track. I wouldn't recommend the band to anybody now....this is a personal opinion from experience. I would of course advise someone to do the research and decide what is best for themselves and this is just another option to consider.

Although the doctors state that it prevents stretching and could potentially have longer weightloss success....no weight loss surgery is failsafe....do you think the doctors think this is a double "fix"?
Back to top Go down
khjat
khjat

Female
Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2012-05-05

PostSubject: Re: A new extra procedure   A new extra procedure EmptyMon 17 Sep 2012, 1:13 pm

It's called a banded Sleeve gastrectomy. This is the info from my surgeons website. It may explain it a bit better. There are some other websites (mainly in America) that can tell you a bit about it.

http://www.seaviewsurgeon.com.au/latest-news/
Back to top Go down
Frangipani Girl
Part of the furniture
Frangipani Girl

Female
Number of posts : 548
Registration date : 2010-12-14

PostSubject: Re: A new extra procedure   A new extra procedure EmptyMon 17 Sep 2012, 11:30 am

I have heard that some surgeons place some type of material in addition to the stapling on the edge of where the sleeve is cut??

Not sure if this is the same thing being discussed.
Back to top Go down
khjat
khjat

Female

PostSubject: Re: A new extra procedure   A new extra procedure EmptyFri 14 Sep 2012, 5:30 am

As far as I can tell, the band is lightly placed lengthways around the outside of my sleeve, not the top part. It shouldn't cause any food issues as its not stopping food from going down. It is merely there so the sleeve won't stretch in the future.
Back to top Go down
margd
Top Poster
Top Poster
margd

Female
Number of posts : 2628
Registration date : 2011-09-09

PostSubject: Re: A new extra procedure   A new extra procedure EmptyFri 14 Sep 2012, 5:19 am

Not fancying getting that then,it would be good if our sleeve did'nt stretch,i suppose its not a miracle cure,its there to help us.
Back to top Go down
Tubstar

Female
Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2012-09-10

PostSubject: Re: A new extra procedure   A new extra procedure EmptyFri 14 Sep 2012, 5:14 am

I asked my surgeon about this yesterday and he said its similar to lap banding and you have all the same issues ie food getting stuck. It's a band around the top part of the sleeve.
Back to top Go down
lililei87

Female

PostSubject: Re: A new extra procedure   A new extra procedure EmptyFri 14 Sep 2012, 4:49 am

Is it different to the actual band? Cause I've read some unpleasant things about gastric banding on here from so many people who are converting to sleeve so would there be a point on putting a band over the sleeve? Wouldn't it result in the same thing?
Back to top Go down
Melinda38
Part of the furniture
Melinda38

Female

PostSubject: Re: A new extra procedure   A new extra procedure EmptyFri 14 Sep 2012, 4:19 am

Thanks Khjat Im really keen to show my surgeon

For Everyone Else: Picture your stomach it is sleeve shape with a wide band around it thereby reducing the chance of it stretching out later on.
Back to top Go down
khjat
khjat

Female

PostSubject: Re: A new extra procedure   A new extra procedure EmptyFri 14 Sep 2012, 3:34 am

I forgot to add that it's apparently worth $2000 but I got mine for free.
Back to top Go down
khjat
khjat

Female

PostSubject: Re: A new extra procedure   A new extra procedure EmptyFri 14 Sep 2012, 3:31 am

Hi. I am one of the people that had a band put around my sleeve. Just before I went into surgery the physician came and told me how he had been researching sleeve surgery and that between 5-10 years some people in America had out on a large amount of weight. He said they would put some kind of a band around the outside of my sleeve that would restrict stretching in the future. Im pretty sure it's different to a lapband but not 100% certain. On my X-ray I could see it around my sleeve. Don't have much more info than that I'm afraid. I will try and find out more next week when I see the surgeon.
Back to top Go down
juls77
juls77

Female
Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2010-07-03

PostSubject: Re: A new extra procedure   A new extra procedure EmptyThu 13 Sep 2012, 11:09 am

Hi,

I have heard of a couple of girls having it done. I have also read on this site of someone who has it done for free. I will try and find there post again .

Back to top Go down
lililei87

Female

PostSubject: Re: A new extra procedure   A new extra procedure EmptyThu 13 Sep 2012, 10:07 am

I've heard of rebanding and resleeving but not that before. Is it a different procedure to just getting a band on it's own? Curious.
Back to top Go down
Tash
Top Poster
Top Poster
Tash

Female
Number of posts : 1492
Registration date : 2011-03-30

PostSubject: Re: A new extra procedure   A new extra procedure EmptyThu 13 Sep 2012, 8:52 am

Which surgeons are doing it for free Mel?
Back to top Go down
Chap25

Female
Number of posts : 123
Registration date : 2012-07-04

PostSubject: Re: A new extra procedure   A new extra procedure EmptyThu 13 Sep 2012, 8:42 am

What is it exactly??
Back to top Go down
JenBen
Part of the furniture
JenBen

Female
Number of posts : 245
Registration date : 2012-08-01

PostSubject: Re: A new extra procedure   A new extra procedure EmptyThu 13 Sep 2012, 7:43 am

Hi Mel,

I haven't heard of this specifically but my surgeon did mention that he has done bands for 2 sleeves to date.
Back to top Go down
Melinda38
Part of the furniture
Melinda38

Female

PostSubject: A new extra procedure   A new extra procedure EmptyThu 13 Sep 2012, 2:18 am

Hi All

One of the girls in the September group has said that Drs are now putting a band around the new sleeved tummy. This prevents the stretch at the 5 - 10yr mark. Some surgeons are doing this for free as it normally costs $2000. Have any of you guys heard about it?

Mel
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A new extra procedure   A new extra procedure Empty

Back to top Go down

A new extra procedure
Page 1 of 1