AuthorMessage
gingerchicken
Part of the furniture
gingerchicken

Female
Number of posts : 432
Registration date : 2014-01-29

Breastfeeding and Opti? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breastfeeding and Opti?   Breastfeeding and Opti? EmptyWed 09 Apr 2014, 3:05 pm

Anyone out there whose been sleeved recently and breast feeding?

I won't be sleeved for several weeks.... But am curious to know how people went with optifast? I want to start trying to lose a little bit before the two weeks optifast.... But am not sure how it effects supply.
I thought my dietician appointment was this month.... But turns out I have it for next month in May.... What a bummer, I wanted to find out details earlier rather then later.

Ginger
Back to top Go down
jodestar

Female
Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2012-08-16

PostSubject: Re: Breastfeeding and Opti?   Breastfeeding and Opti? EmptyThu 06 Sep 2012, 10:51 am

She seemed to still be having a good drink. I think it's a bit hard to tell because she is on solids. She normally has about a 10 min feed on each side. At times, during opti, she would pull off and get a little upset so I'm guessing supply might have been down a bit. It's always hard to tell how much milk they are actually getting from the breast but she has always been satisfied with her feeds. I intend to feed her until 12 months or if she decides to wean earlier.

Also, I fed her 24 hours after surgery in the hospital. My hubby was then bringing her up twice a day (morn and late arvie) so I could feed her. I think that helped with the supply as well. It was a bit difficult with the drains but I just put a pillow over it and laid her on top of it. It is definitely doable but if you can start off gradually with the opti. Start 3 weeks before if you can with one shake a day (b/fast) and protein/veges/salads for the other 2 meals. Then second week up it to 2 shakes a day (b/fast and lunch) and protein/veges/salad for dinner. I actually rarely had that 3rd shake at night as I kept the meat/vege thing going as I didn't want to completely deplete myself and have her suffer too much. But like I said, she has coped through all stages so far :)

Let me know if you have any more questions :) Happy to help!
Back to top Go down
PurpleStar
PurpleStar

Female
Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2012-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Breastfeeding and Opti?   Breastfeeding and Opti? EmptyWed 05 Sep 2012, 1:54 pm

Thats awesome - thank you!!! Did you find your supply drop much through/after surgery? And do you think the Opti affected your breastfeeding bebe?
Back to top Go down
jodestar

Female
Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2012-08-16

PostSubject: Re: Breastfeeding and Opti?   Breastfeeding and Opti? EmptyWed 05 Sep 2012, 1:42 pm

Hi,

I am almost 4 weeks post op and my baby is 7 months. She wasn't quite 6 months when I started opti and I had same concerns and no one could give me answers. I was having 2 shakes a day (b/fast and lunch) and a meal at night (small serve of meat and heaps of veges). My baby girl coped really well (and still is). I felt a little yucky (tired, depleted etc) but lost the 5 kg before surgery. My baby was on 2 solids a day, b/fast and lunch and I introduced a bottle of formula at bedtime feed just in case she wasn't going to cope with before and after surgery. She was having booby about 5 times a day. Now, after the surgery, she is having 3 solids a day, 4 breastfeeds and a bottle at dreamfeed. I hope this helps your question and good luck :)
Back to top Go down
PurpleStar
PurpleStar

Female
Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2012-08-28

PostSubject: Breastfeeding and Opti?   Breastfeeding and Opti? EmptyMon 03 Sep 2012, 1:26 pm

My surgeon said I still have to do the 2wks of Opti before the surgery (to shrink the liver) but I was under the impression that Opti had an appetite suppressant in it that may pass through to my breastmilk.

I'm talking to the dietician in the next couple of days but I'm just curious what other people's experience is with the pre-op diet while breastfeeding. Are there any other shakes I can have?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Breastfeeding and Opti?   Breastfeeding and Opti? Empty

Back to top Go down

Breastfeeding and Opti?
Page 1 of 1