AuthorMessage
Bumbles
Part of the furniture
Bumbles

Female
Number of posts : 794
Registration date : 2013-10-25

Pregnancy Glucose Test??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pregnancy Glucose Test???   Pregnancy Glucose Test??? EmptyTue 29 Oct 2013, 5:44 am

Cant believe they still make you drink that vile stuff, it was green when I had to do it as well, I dont think it matters if you are sleeved or not, it made me feel so ill, I had to lay down across three seats in pathology to avoid passing out - I had the sweats, nausea, it was disgusting..
Back to top Go down
duzzenmada
duzzenmada

Female
Number of posts : 121
Registration date : 2011-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Pregnancy Glucose Test???   Pregnancy Glucose Test??? EmptySat 26 Jan 2013, 7:35 am

I just did the glucose tolerance test this morning at nearly 16 weeks because I've had some hypoglycemic episodes. I suspected it wouldn't work since I can't drink anything too sugary without feeling sick. Sure enough, fifteen minutes into it I projectile vomited it straight back up. At least I made it to the bathroom! I didn't have time to shut the door though......
Back to top Go down
PiercedMumma08
Top Poster
Top Poster
PiercedMumma08

Female
Number of posts : 1702
Registration date : 2010-04-05

PostSubject: Re: Pregnancy Glucose Test???   Pregnancy Glucose Test??? EmptySat 19 Jan 2013, 7:56 am

I did it at 28 weeks but i did the one hour non fasting test.

I didnt vomit but I did drink the drink and then had the sweating, dizziness, blurred vision.... classic dumping.

Its not the most pleasant experience but I did it and was relieved to find everything was alright.

Hope you will be ok Ella.
Back to top Go down
enough is enough
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 497
Registration date : 2012-09-16

PostSubject: Re: Pregnancy Glucose Test???   Pregnancy Glucose Test??? EmptyFri 18 Jan 2013, 9:43 am

I was a in patient when I had my test. I had been on bed rest 5 weeks
Had the drink and 3 blood tests one.
Even tho I was an in patient I still had to go to pathlogy and sit in the waiting area. I nearly passed out after the 1st so the put me on a bed. Then my nurse of the day came and gave me a maxollon shot and I slept in between shots.

Then of all the cheek (jokes) my babies were born a few hours later before I even got the results.

I have 28 weekers twins.

Back to top Go down
Firie75
Part of the furniture
Firie75

Female
Number of posts : 623
Registration date : 2011-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Pregnancy Glucose Test???   Pregnancy Glucose Test??? EmptySun 16 Dec 2012, 9:31 am

It is something that we can say no to. There are other ways of testing for diabetes other than loading up on a glucose drink you can't hold down.
Back to top Go down
ChantalMaree
ChantalMaree

Female
Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2010-07-13

PostSubject: Re: Pregnancy Glucose Test???   Pregnancy Glucose Test??? EmptySat 15 Dec 2012, 8:43 am

I threw up my GTT test aswell after 15 mins, then took me 3-4 days for my stomach to return to normal. they then got me to do the challenge test and i managed to complete that but i only just made it under the cut off for doing the GTT. The dr did want me to try and do it again but now im at 36 weeks and the fact my stomach is squished to the max now im not going to do it. It was a horrible experiance and i doubt i will do it when i have more children.
Back to top Go down
brooke22
brooke22

Female
Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2011-07-11

PostSubject: Re: Pregnancy Glucose Test???   Pregnancy Glucose Test??? EmptySat 15 Dec 2012, 7:35 am

I'm pregnant, 26 weeks, and they had me do the 2hr GTT at 9 weeks because of my history of GD with my last pregnancy and the fact that I was diagnosed with diabetes 2 weeks prior to surgery. My surgeon was confident to say that I had reversed my diabetes but my midwife wanted to double check. I struggled getting all the drink in the first place and felt dreadful afterwards so when they wanted to repeat the test last week I told them no. They checked my fasting blood sugar level instead and also checked my hbA1c, both of which were perfect (4.3 and 5.6 respectively), my obgyn was confident that this was an accurate test for me if the drink effects me that badly.

Back to top Go down
demilanni
Part of the furniture
demilanni

Female
Number of posts : 458
Registration date : 2012-06-06

PostSubject: Re: Pregnancy Glucose Test???   Pregnancy Glucose Test??? EmptyFri 14 Dec 2012, 1:14 am

That stuff is vile, VILE. If i get preggers again i wont do it. Im not diabetic, i have no history of diabeties in my family so its not really an issue for me.

Blech.
Back to top Go down
Firie75
Part of the furniture
Firie75

Female
Number of posts : 623
Registration date : 2011-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Pregnancy Glucose Test???   Pregnancy Glucose Test??? EmptyThu 13 Dec 2012, 12:57 pm

I did the GTT on Tuesday. Almost instantly ejected on the last mouthful, but managed to hold it down for the required 2 hours. Felt dreadful for the rest of the day though. Happy to report that my sugars were fine (peaked at 6.1 at the first hour then down to 3.6 mmol by the second which is a normal response). My previous GTT's with my last 2 pregnancies (pre sleeve) were over 10 at the first hour but normal after that. Given the way I felt after the current GTT, I won't ever have it again. The Chief hospital scientist (I work at the hospital as well) who took my blood was saying he felt it wasn't really an accurate or appropriate test for all pregnant women to go through. Its not really normal to load the body up on a 75% glucose drink.
Back to top Go down
FNM
FNM

Female
Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2011-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Pregnancy Glucose Test???   Pregnancy Glucose Test??? EmptyThu 13 Dec 2012, 9:22 am

I was given the Glucose Tolerance Test which I failed. I am being treated as GD despite the Endocrinologist telling me that my case is not typical. After 1 hour my levels were 10.9 (needed to be 10 or below) after 2 hours it had dropped to 2.8 which is WAY too low. The endocrinologists take on it is that the sleeve causes the sugar to be dumped quickly into the system which causes a huge production of insulin. Whether this is dangerous to baby is debatable apparently. I now have to test 1 hour after eating to confirm whether this is so.
Back to top Go down
Ella Bella
Ella Bella

Female
Number of posts : 89
Registration date : 2011-05-30

PostSubject: Re: Pregnancy Glucose Test???   Pregnancy Glucose Test??? EmptyWed 12 Dec 2012, 12:36 am

Hi G-babe! firstly congratulations!! How are you feeling at 26 weeks???

I've just hit 30 weeks and i've been prick testing myself since 14 weeks now after every meal and i can't get above a 5.5 reading so there is no way i have GD which is really good!

You have to eat lots of really "bad" food continually to get it i think??

How is everything else going? Are you hungry all the time??
Back to top Go down
G-Babe

Female
Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2012-12-11

PostSubject: Re: Pregnancy Glucose Test???   Pregnancy Glucose Test??? EmptyTue 11 Dec 2012, 2:49 am

I have just found this thread, and I am so glad that I wasn't the only one who vomited it straight back up..
I lasted 15mins got the sweats heart racing then ran to the toilet..
My OB has now decided that I don't have to test again.. I am seeing him on Friday and we will discuss what to do. I saw my surgeon yesterday for my yearly check up and he said that it will be very unlikely that I will get GD so not worry.... I am now 26 weeks..
But my tests have come back that my iron is low and I need and iron transfusion..
Back to top Go down
Zombielaydeh

Female
Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2012-09-06

PostSubject: Re: Pregnancy Glucose Test???   Pregnancy Glucose Test??? EmptyThu 06 Sep 2012, 11:12 am

hello :)

i didnt have to do the glucose test because i told them there was no way i could drink it all that quick and keep it down, so they had me do a blood test which will tell them how my blood sugar levels react. i didn't need to fast or anything for it. perhaps this is something you could ask about??
Back to top Go down
PurpleStar
PurpleStar

Female
Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2012-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Pregnancy Glucose Test???   Pregnancy Glucose Test??? EmptyMon 03 Sep 2012, 7:52 am

The GD test is so flippin stupid - I mean seriously, who in their right mind fasts for 12hrs and then breaks the fast with 330mL of sugar!!! Its just absurd. I refused to do it with my 2nd and 3rd pregnancies, and I could 'feel' when I began getting GD. I had the GD symptoms and THEN did the test to confirm - just stupid doing that gross liquid test when you can cheat the test anyway.
Back to top Go down
Ella Bella
Ella Bella

Female

PostSubject: Re: Pregnancy Glucose Test???   Pregnancy Glucose Test??? EmptyMon 03 Sep 2012, 7:49 am

Hi Guys,

Thanks so much for the reply's ... I was a bit worried and totally stressed about why it was all happening.

Mojot - i don't have diabetes but i do (or did) have PCOS which apparantly increases your risk of gestational diabetes so they wanted me to do an early test??

I spoke to Dr Taylor today and thank goodness ... he explained that under no circumstances should i do the test again and that its simply because the liquid was too sweet. I know they explained "dumping" syndrome to me before but because i've never experienced it i just didn't cross my mind!

So there is no way that we have to subject ourselves to that test ... i jsut have to monitor the blood sugar using a pin prick machine so hopefully all will be ok!?

Thanks again ladies ... all worked out!!

:)

Ell
Back to top Go down
mojot

Female
Number of posts : 117
Registration date : 2011-10-10

PostSubject: Re: Pregnancy Glucose Test???   Pregnancy Glucose Test??? EmptySat 01 Sep 2012, 6:15 am

Do u already have diabetes? Do u have a family history of diabetes?

I dont understand why they are testing u so early. Normally, Gestational diabetes doesn't develop until between 20 and 24 weeks, which is why they usually test between week 24 and week 28.

I dont think it is an indicator for a positive result. They should understand that if you drink the fluid too quickly u will throw up. It might have been from having too much or too quickly.

Otherwise ask your dr if there are alternatives to the test.

Best of luck and remember to go easy on sugar a few days before the test as well so i doesn't give u a false positive.
Back to top Go down
lin1970
Top Poster
Top Poster
lin1970

Female
Number of posts : 3316
Registration date : 2011-11-18

PostSubject: Re: Pregnancy Glucose Test???   Pregnancy Glucose Test??? EmptySat 01 Sep 2012, 5:20 am

those things are gross. Are you sleeved? I had to do one, back then I wasnt sleeved and it was revolting. It was green back then and I think they managed to get some blood and I just made it to the loo to vomit.

you might have to do it again but to say you have diabetes because you threw up that doesn't make sense to me
Back to top Go down
Ella Bella
Ella Bella

Female

PostSubject: Pregnancy Glucose Test???   Pregnancy Glucose Test??? EmptySat 01 Sep 2012, 4:24 am

Hi guys,

Just in need of some advive from the sleeved mums out there.

Ive just come from having an early (15 weeks pregnant) glucose test..... What a shocking experience!

I drank the liquid, 330mls, which i was very impressed that i got it all down, then had to sit for an hour. In literally 10 minutes after i had finished my heart began to race like crazy, i broke into an intense sweat and felt so dizy i almost blacked out. I had to call the lady back in and WHAM that poor lady, i projectile vomited everywhere and eventhough it was a clear liquid i drank, it came out almost flurecent yellow!

The lady just went into a panic and said yes yes this is a definate sign you have diabeties!

After cleaning up i had to leave and they want me to do the test again??

I dont know if i can?

Is this normal??

Thanks everyone

XxEllXx
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pregnancy Glucose Test???   Pregnancy Glucose Test??? Empty

Back to top Go down

Pregnancy Glucose Test???
Page 1 of 1