4 posters
AuthorMessage
hopeful22912
hopeful22912

Female
Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2013-06-07

Question for Diabetics re: Blood Glucose Levels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question for Diabetics re: Blood Glucose Levels   Question for Diabetics re: Blood Glucose Levels EmptyThu 03 Jul 2014, 2:14 am

Hi Doe Doe
I had my op last July so twelve months out, I was on 5 insulin needles a day plus metformin before my op, I no longer have any insulin and as as a preventative measure  my Doc has maintained me on 1/2 tablet Dimicron a day. My levels are fantastic now though they do go up when I am stressed, so don't worry yours will fluctuate as long as you keep them under 6/7 you should be fine, the surgeon will understand the very occasional high reading (8) so don't worry relax and good luck with your journey
Nita
Back to top Go down
spoggy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female
Number of posts : 2479
Registration date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Question for Diabetics re: Blood Glucose Levels   Question for Diabetics re: Blood Glucose Levels EmptyThu 03 Jul 2014, 1:39 am

My diabetes has gone into remission since having the sleeve. I am four years out now.  I went off my diabetes meds before the op and has not been a problem.  Hope it works for you.  I have a feeling it will.
Back to top Go down
doedoe
Part of the furniture
doedoe

Female
Number of posts : 214
Registration date : 2012-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Question for Diabetics re: Blood Glucose Levels   Question for Diabetics re: Blood Glucose Levels EmptyWed 02 Jul 2014, 12:48 pm

Since surgery my diabetic control has improved heaps. My insulin needs have decreased by two thirds and even more since changing over to an insulin pump. I will always have diabetes because it's tbe auto immune type, but I couldn't be happier with the improvement to my health issues.

A lot of people with type 2 diabetes find that after sleeve surgery they are able to stop all meds for diabetes.
 Question for Diabetics re: Blood Glucose Levels 65317
Back to top Go down
DayleD
Part of the furniture
DayleD

Female
Number of posts : 1076
Registration date : 2014-04-12

PostSubject: Re: Question for Diabetics re: Blood Glucose Levels   Question for Diabetics re: Blood Glucose Levels EmptyWed 02 Jul 2014, 11:14 am

Thanks so much doedoe.  I was really happy with the initial 6.3 (between the good control range of 6-7 apparently) and now that I know about the stress & opti having an impact I'm not as concerned.

It was funny last week I had to see my local GP and I told her I was concerned that my reading before having breakfast in the mornings was over 7 (7.1-7.7) and she laughed and shook her head and said 'Dayle, that's just telling me you're diabetic'.  It was a bit of a wake up call, I guess it hadn't really sunk in before that.  Hopefully I won't have to worry too much about it after the surgery, fingers crossed.  How did the sleeve help your diabetes?

Cheers, DayleD
Back to top Go down
doedoe
Part of the furniture
doedoe

Female
Number of posts : 214
Registration date : 2012-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Question for Diabetics re: Blood Glucose Levels   Question for Diabetics re: Blood Glucose Levels EmptyWed 02 Jul 2014, 10:53 am

Hi ya DayleD,

I am a type 1 insulin dependent diabetic, and have been for 48 years, different to your type 2, nevertheless, I hope I can help you out with your questions.

If your hba1c (3 month average) was 6.3 you should be ecstatic, that's great, and quite normal. I'd be flipping cartwheels if mine was that good!!!! I'm not surprised you were told there was no need for meds. The Doctor and Diabetic Ed would be the best judge on that matter.

Stress will definitely screw with you blood sugar levels, not a whole lot you can do there. I have been lurking around this forum for a while and have been reading your posts (and blog). From memory you're having surgery soon so you must be on opti. This stuff is really high in sugar so it may be having a direct impact on your bsl's. Not a whole lot you can do about that either. You need to follow your surgeons pre-op diet, which is this really sugary blah blah stuff.

When your surgeon asks, tell him the truth, that your hba1c is 6.3 and your kickin some ass with that result lol!!!!

Best wishes for your upcoming surgery. Take a deep breath and think happy thoughts. Take it from me, you will not regret your decision
Back to top Go down
DayleD
Part of the furniture
DayleD

Female
Number of posts : 1076
Registration date : 2014-04-12

PostSubject: Question for Diabetics re: Blood Glucose Levels   Question for Diabetics re: Blood Glucose Levels EmptyWed 02 Jul 2014, 8:01 am

Hi All,

I was diagnosed with diabetes only a few weeks back. I'll try to outline briefly - approx 6 weeks ago my test for the 'past 3 month average' of my blood glucose level came back at 6.3 (which my doctor and diabetic educator were pleased about).  Surgeon recommended medication to control sugars prior to surgery, my doctor & diabetic educator said no, not needed or required, diet and education only.  I cut out coke and orange juice, and also how much I ate, in addition to 5 of these days (in the past 3 months) being on opti, I also lost 1.5kilos in this time. 

Now I have found out that the same test this week has a result of 8.  Surgeon is not going to be happy me thinks given that he said he would operate if my diabetes is under control and the results have gone up. 

I have minimal information on type 2 diabetes being only recently diagnosed, and also being that the doctor and diabetic educator were not concerned at all as surgery was iminent I wasn't told to do anything specific, just stick to what I was eating and reduce the high sugar drinks.

Can stress influence the results of blood glucose levels?

I've done the right thing so can't see why it would go against me with the surgeon, but I just don't see a reason for it to go UP.

Anyoe's input or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks, DayleD
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Question for Diabetics re: Blood Glucose Levels   Question for Diabetics re: Blood Glucose Levels Empty

Back to top Go down

Question for Diabetics re: Blood Glucose Levels
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: Welcome! :: Welcomes, Introductions & General Chit Chat :: General Chat-
Jump to: