8 posters
AuthorMessage
metime
metime

Female
Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2012-07-25

Drs Appointment Today Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drs Appointment Today   Drs Appointment Today EmptySun 29 Jul 2012, 10:40 pm

Well said Janet,
I totally feel the same way as you and that is why I am choosing to have this procedure done. I want to live linger, I already have health issues and that will take years off my life automatically.
I am just trying to steal a few back.
I want to watch my kids grow up and their kids.

I am only scared as when I have had prodecures done before I seem to have a big black cross on my forehead that screams complications.
I have done a lot of reading and last night watched the procedure on the OClinics website...I did want to be sick... really sick.

I have alot more confidence now.
I even started Opti Slim shakes today. I bought a box as I want to know that I can commit to it. I have diabetes type 1, but can mangae it on the opti slim diet as I have a pump. ( endo is aware of procedure as he was the one who reffered)
Thanks Emma

Thank you to everyone who has helped reassure me... Glenmaree Drs Appointment Today 618285
Back to top Go down
JPC
Part of the furniture
JPC

Female
Number of posts : 330
Registration date : 2012-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Drs Appointment Today   Drs Appointment Today EmptySun 29 Jul 2012, 8:21 am

Hi Emm,

Yes, I totally understand your concerns but would ask why are you having the sleeve surgery?? I decided on the sleeve surgery, aware of the risks, after considering if I wanted to die sooner, or live a longer, healthier life and watch the grandkids grow up.

Either way I see it there are risks, I'm choosing the risk of living over the risk (a much greater probability of an early one) of death. Not a hard decision then, and no stress.

Cheers, Janet
Back to top Go down
glenmaree
Part of the furniture
glenmaree

Female
Number of posts : 745
Registration date : 2011-05-22

PostSubject: less than one percent   Drs Appointment Today EmptySun 29 Jul 2012, 3:31 am

Hi

Less than one percent of sleeve patients have complications - all surgeries carry risks but so does being morbidly obese. Be aware and informed - ask the questions and do the research - prepare as best you can - good luck

G
Back to top Go down
jodie284

Female
Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2012-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Drs Appointment Today   Drs Appointment Today EmptySun 29 Jul 2012, 2:53 am

Hi Emm,

I was extremely lucky (or unlucky how you see it), my first appointment with Dr Taylor was on the 19th July. I was originally going to be booked in for early August but there was a cancellation so I am being operated on 12 days after my first appointment. I walked out that day after seeing Dr Taylor and the dietitian straight onto Optislim and now a day away from being sleeved. It has been a rollercoaster ride and for me the Optislim has been hard but I have lost 10.7 Kg since the 19th July and as other say on here it is the last diet I will ever have to be on again.

I don't have a diary here but feel free to PM me anytime you like to chat and I will pop back in here to answer any questions I can.

Jodie
Back to top Go down
metime
metime

Female

PostSubject: Re: Drs Appointment Today   Drs Appointment Today EmptySun 29 Jul 2012, 2:35 am

Hi Jody,
I am going down to See Dr Taylor Tuesday week.
Thinking of you on Monday OMG thats tomorrow! Can't wait to watch your journey.
Can I ask how long was it from you appointment till surgery?
Emm
Back to top Go down
jodie284

Female
Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2012-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Drs Appointment Today   Drs Appointment Today EmptySun 29 Jul 2012, 1:55 am

Hi metime,
I am being sleeved by Dr Taylor on Monday at the Mater in Sydney.

He is a nice guy, I found him to be no BS and will tell you things how they are, The dietitian there was also really approachable and kind ( in my opinion).

Dr Taylor told me his leak rate was 0.03% or something around that. I didn't ask about mortality, I guess it wasn't something I thought of and there is always a risk with any surgery.

I wish you all the best with your journey.

When is your appointment with Dr Taylor?

Jodie
Back to top Go down
metime
metime

Female

PostSubject: Re: Drs Appointment Today   Drs Appointment Today EmptySun 29 Jul 2012, 12:05 am

Thanks Spoggy,
The death part is scary... I have been reading around and it appears it happens a little more often than I thought.

Anyone else have any further information in regards to the fatality statistics. I know all surgery has a risk factor.
As I first said going straight to the complications section of the forum and noticing a moment silence for shortchick was probably not my best move on this journey. But I have to be realistic as well.

Is this a common occurrence?

Sorry for such a morbid question

I am going to to Oclinic for an appointment to see Dr Taylor, who so far has had no leaks. I have been reading posts from forum members who praise his professionalism as well as patient dedication. I hope I am blessed with this talent he has ie no complications.

Cheers Emm

Emm
Back to top Go down
spoggy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female
Number of posts : 2479
Registration date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: spoggy   Drs Appointment Today EmptySat 28 Jul 2012, 12:30 am

Well done. You have got there. YOu could also ask how patients has he had with leaks and has he had any pass away.

Remember, it is not you going in hand to see if he will do the operation, you are interviewing him to see if you are going to employ him. You have to like him, he needs to be patient, compassionate and caring. Also make sure the dietician has had good experience with patients for weight loss with a sleeve. (usually do, but everynow and one slips through the net) You have to like the dietician too, not clinical but compassionate and understanding, has good communication skills and is available to communicate with in between appts. My dietician is a god send. That is what yours needs to be.
Back to top Go down
metime
metime

Female

PostSubject: Re: Drs Appointment Today   Drs Appointment Today EmptyFri 27 Jul 2012, 10:51 pm

HI everyone,
I have done exactly what you have said and been reading many diarys and going online and researching. Mammabear I am very much of the same view as you on the band. As I said I think I went with caution.

I made an Apt with Dr Taylor in Sydney from the O Clinic, nothing like getting a second opinion.
Its a bit of a drive from where I am but I want to go with confidence.
I asked straight up ho many he has done and how often and when the receptionist said at least 5-7 a week my confidence level went up!
I DO want to be sleeved. I know this for sure. Feeling better about this.
I also read that they have been doing this surgery on cancer patients for a long while, again confidence level rises.

I need this, It is METIME now. I am now rather excited voer being petrified! Drs Appointment Today 65317

Can't wait to tell you how the apt goes,
Emm
Back to top Go down
spoggy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female

PostSubject: spoggy   Drs Appointment Today EmptyFri 27 Jul 2012, 2:18 pm

Well said. You will be ok. Scared or not you will be ok.
Back to top Go down
mammabear25
Part of the furniture
mammabear25

Female
Number of posts : 281
Registration date : 2011-08-06

PostSubject: Re: Drs Appointment Today   Drs Appointment Today EmptyFri 27 Jul 2012, 11:56 am

Its your decision at the end of the day but for me I am nearly 1 year out from my sleeve and I am so ever grateful I choose the sleeve over the band....I researched both the band and sleeve but the band is far more limiting, had to chew you food, food gets stuck, back for adjustments, high risk with reflux and the band slipping and honesty i have had too many friends regret their decision....they loose the weight but it hasn't change their mind set, they cant eat NORMAL food, and they drink more high sugar drinks eg. iced coffee etc....

The sleeve gives you a permanent solution, you CAN eat all foods, over time you adjust to the smaller stomach, you dont need to see your surgeon for adjustments, but do see him or her for checkups etc,

If the doctor you have seen hasn't got the experience I would myself seek another surgeon, just to put your mind at ease, but go with you gut, if its a sleeve you want you should do that, if you have researched all your options its really a matter of who the surgeon is gonna be and when you can get a date to have the sleeve....

Good luck, from a fellow sleever it will be the best decision of your life, the healthier and the beautiful you will be here before you know it.
Back to top Go down
Cherryseven
Part of the furniture
Cherryseven

Female
Number of posts : 257
Registration date : 2012-05-21

PostSubject: Re: Drs Appointment Today   Drs Appointment Today EmptyFri 27 Jul 2012, 7:07 am

At the end of the day you are the one that has to live with your decision, my advice would be to read the diaries, do lots of research and decide what is the best choice for you.

I initially went to my GP regarding the band which I have been considering for the past 4 years, it was my GP who suggested the sleeve based on his patients and their successes. I then did some of my own research and decided to have the sleeve, although I am still fairly new to it it has been the best decision I have ever made. I'm loving my sleeve, how I feel, the weight loss. I saw my surgeon this week and he was very happy with how I am travelling and also my positive outlook (couldn't wipe the smile off my face).
Back to top Go down
spoggy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female

PostSubject: spoggy   Drs Appointment Today EmptyFri 27 Jul 2012, 6:45 am

I know a few people who have a sleeve now after having a band. The band is high maintenance for one, a lot of people knew where every toilet, bin etc so they could quickly chuck, they also experienced being unable to eat certain foods, the weight loss is slower, also the band can stop working, slip and do quite a bit of damage. Saying this there are a lot of people who have had success. If you are willing to go to the doc once a month, risk the band to stop working for some reason and put the weight on, (possibly). Ok it is not permanent and if you change your mind or it needs to be removed you can. When I first learnt about the sleeve I thought no way! It's permanent, what if......... Then I was told the band would not be suitable for me because you are not supposed to eat between meals. I decided I liked the sleeve better than the bypass and went ahead. It is the best thing I have ever done. 3 years ago more bands were done, now it appears that a sleeves more common. Both surgeries have their place and their own risks. As the different procedures were being explained to me my ears pricked up on the sleeve. My instinct kicked in. Yours will too at some point if not already. Good luck with your decision and as said below read the posts on band to sleeve. Something will help you make the decision that is best for you.

Good ludck.
Back to top Go down
glenmaree
Part of the furniture
glenmaree

Female

PostSubject: Doctor   Drs Appointment Today EmptyFri 27 Jul 2012, 2:02 am

Check out the threads from the people who have had bands - most seem to indicate that they have problems. Re the surgeon - it never hurts to get a second opinion - personally I would be concerned that the Dr has so little experience but then experience doesn't mean competence. Ask around on the forum for recommendations in your area

G
Back to top Go down
metime
metime

Female

PostSubject: Re: Drs Appointment Today   Drs Appointment Today EmptyFri 27 Jul 2012, 12:53 am

Hi everyone,
Firstly thank you so much for the welcome and the advice. I definitely went in armed with questions for the surgeon.

It was interesting.... I went in as I wanted to have the sleeve. I asked ALOT of questions and felt like I was choosing the easy way out by leaning more towards a band when I left. The Dr was great he didn't want me to make the decision there and then. I have booked in for a gastroscopy for him to have a look around and make sure it will all be good. My surgeon is very new to sleeving and is being mentored by one of the best in the industry, who has been named on this site many a time.

Now for the gut feeling part. Although the surgeon is new, I already have a health related issue (and apparently a black cross on my forehead that says choose me whenver things are to go wrong lol ) as he has not yet done any sleeves but will have done at least 4 by the end of the year, I am thinking that perhaps going to Sydney and choosing experience over new to procedure surgeon may perhaps may be a better option. I also asked about leaks and when they test and he said they did not test for leaks they monitor you carefully.

I am just so scared of complications! ie Leaks

My Dr also gave me heaps of information and places online to visit whic I have done, and I still feel as though sleeveing is a better option for me.

Does anyone have any advice for me on this? ie banding over sleeving. I know I can sleeve after banding.

Cheers Emm Drs Appointment Today 697586
Back to top Go down
spoggy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female

PostSubject: spoggy   Drs Appointment Today EmptyThu 26 Jul 2012, 12:52 pm

Congrats on the appt. I hope it went well and you are feeling better about things. Remember they have been doing this op for a long, for cancer patients, use your gut feeling about it and see the good things about losing weight and having a great tool. The doctors usually do a bit of investigating before operating. Every op has the risk factor.

YOu will help avoid complications dramatically if you are willing to comply with instructions. It depens on the person whether not you will get reflux, if you do it is often short term.

Quite a lot of people are in hospital 3-4 days, I was in for 6 days.

Having a sleeve is the best thing I have done. I have lost 50kg and have now had a tummy tuck. The journey of having a sleeve has a learnig curve attached to it and is very exciting. YOu will meet the dietician, go with your feeling on the situation.

It is a huge advantage if the dietician has experience in weight loss with the sleeve and is contable by email or phone.

Being scared, anxious is very normal. I was scared and excited at the same time. Exscited about losing my weight for the last time. The sleeve is a great tool.
Back to top Go down
glenmaree
Part of the furniture
glenmaree

Female

PostSubject: questions for the surgeon   Drs Appointment Today EmptyWed 25 Jul 2012, 11:30 pm

Hi Emm

Here is some questions for you to consider. I think I will post them as a thread and ask others to contribute - it would be useful to everyone considering a sleeve - thanks for highlighting the need and good luck with your decision

How many sleeves has he/she done?

What will be provided for pain releif and how long for?

What are the complication rates and how often has he/she had problems?

What are the symptoms of complications?

What can be done to try and prevent complications?

When do they test for leaks?

Does he/she have a team to work with you e.g. dietitian and psychologist?

How long will each stage be e.g. liquid, mushy etc?

What follow up does he/she provide?

Do you need to take supplements and when should you start?

Will you need reflux medication?

How long wilk you be in hospital?

That's all I can think of at this stage but watch the other thread as I am sure others will have questions to add

Glenys
Back to top Go down
sassyred
Part of the furniture
sassyred

Female
Number of posts : 657
Registration date : 2011-09-01

PostSubject: Re: Drs Appointment Today   Drs Appointment Today EmptyWed 25 Jul 2012, 11:24 pm

Hi Emm

Welcome to GSS, you will find tons of information and friendship here, we are a great lot.

Congrats on your big decision, it is an exciting time. It's totally normal to be nervous, in fact I would be concerned if you weren't!

As for questions, you could ask about recovery time, what pre-op diet the surgeon prefers (some are very strict and specific, others don't make you do it at all - go figure), what weight loss expectations they have for you, what other services they provide such as fitness and dietician, what health expectations (eg if you have diabetes or any other weight related illness).

Hope this helps, and good luck for your journey.
Back to top Go down
metime
metime

Female

PostSubject: Drs Appointment Today   Drs Appointment Today EmptyWed 25 Jul 2012, 10:18 pm

Hi everyone,
Well I am off to see the surgeon today. This is a HUGE step for me.

I have to admit going straight the the pre-op section of this forum and reading the complications was probably not the best thing to have done, to put it bluntly I am PETRIFIED!

I have no idea about the opti slim diet, if it is like Tony Ferguson I think I will be ok with it.

I am just rambling at the moment.... I do this when nervous lol
Drs Appointment Today 81722
I will be back on tonight when I come back from the surgeon.

Oh does anyone have any questions that I should ask..for me of course.
Cheers Emm
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Drs Appointment Today   Drs Appointment Today Empty

Back to top Go down

Drs Appointment Today
Page 1 of 1