Wtbt
16 posters
AuthorMessage
outback_thunda

Female
Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2011-06-17

New with lots of questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: New with lots of questions   New with lots of questions EmptyWed 15 Aug 2012, 9:29 pm

Hi WTBT I'm pregnant with my 4th child now and due to be sleeved in August next year. My surgeon told me I have to wait til bub is 6months old. Not 2 years. So I have to wait til August because of my PHI stuff up but anyway that aside. I'd get a second opinion. My kids will be 7,4,2,6monthd and I can tell you that 2 year old twins are going to be harder than 9month old ones. Anyway good luck and explain to your hubby how you feel. I did after his non support and he has turned. He now gets how I feel.
Back to top Go down
mojot

Female
Number of posts : 117
Registration date : 2011-10-10

PostSubject: Re: New with lots of questions   New with lots of questions EmptySun 12 Aug 2012, 1:00 pm

def agree get another opinion. i have 3 kids under 5 and mine agreed to do it no worries. it has been me saying no because of worries about bfeeding. am still bfeeding and think i can keep going if i go ahead with sleeve

wish u were close to me so i could look after your rugrats!

best of luck
Back to top Go down
Val 007
Part of the furniture
Val 007

Female
Number of posts : 728
Registration date : 2011-11-15

PostSubject: Re: New with lots of questions   New with lots of questions EmptySun 12 Aug 2012, 10:15 am

OMG How do Surgeons get away with it.

Look up Surgeons list - and choose another Surgeon, there are lot of sleevers from Melbourne, someone will tell you who to see.

Good Luck

Val
Back to top Go down
beckash
beckash

Female
Number of posts : 143
Registration date : 2012-08-07

PostSubject: Re: New with lots of questions   New with lots of questions EmptySun 12 Aug 2012, 8:24 am

Hi WTBT

I agree with the guys below, get a second opinion. I know at first my surgeon was wary with myself because I didnt have a great support network in place after the surgery (some where to stay and someone to be with me after surgery) but after dscussing with both him and also friends we can up with a plan for going forward.

And I cant be happier my surgery is scheduled in 24 days.

My surgeon has rooms at the following places wantirna, boronia, mitcham, rosebud west, berwick & mornington. And operates in 4 hospitals....

Good luck
Back to top Go down
demilanni
Part of the furniture
demilanni

Female
Number of posts : 458
Registration date : 2012-06-06

PostSubject: Re: New with lots of questions   New with lots of questions EmptySat 11 Aug 2012, 6:37 am

My baby will be 5 months when I have surgery, the only ting my surgeonsaid was that I could not breast feed on opti. See someone else, my dr is in frankston if that s not too far or you
Back to top Go down
Ishtar
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 280
Registration date : 2012-05-02

PostSubject: Re: New with lots of questions   New with lots of questions EmptySat 11 Aug 2012, 12:17 am

My surgeon didn't even ask if I had kids. See another surgeon.
Back to top Go down
Liesel
Liesel

Female
Number of posts : 167
Registration date : 2012-08-03

PostSubject: Re: New with lots of questions   New with lots of questions EmptySat 11 Aug 2012, 12:16 am

Hi WTBT !!

I think your on the right path !! Mind you I cannot talk from experience because I have not yet had any surgery :( I am waiting for my first appointment with my surgeon !

I think your also in the right place at this forum !! I have been able to talk to some great people who were or are in a similar position to myself and I have even spoken to a few people who had the same sugeon !! That was great to hear how wonderful he is !!

I've got 3 kids with the eldest being 8 and the youngest 3 . . . My only concern is not being there for them when they get older as I am currently 138kg and have other issues which are all weight related :( It sucks but I can't wait to have this procedure !!!

I hope you find the answers you need to make a decision and I hope you can find another surgeon to give you a second opinion !!

Good luck with your journey !!

Cheers,
L :)
Back to top Go down
http://itsjustmeliesel.blogspot.com.au/
Torigirl
Torigirl

Female
Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2012-06-26

PostSubject: Re: New with lots of questions   New with lots of questions EmptyFri 10 Aug 2012, 11:55 pm

Janette wrote:
Suggestion: get a second opinion from another surgeon.

Agree a second opinion is needed.
Back to top Go down
Vegas
Vegas

Female
Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2012-04-11

PostSubject: Re: New with lots of questions   New with lots of questions EmptyFri 10 Aug 2012, 11:35 pm

I do not understand the bit about waiting to your babies are over two, I find parenting physically a lot demanding after the kids are two. I agree get a second opinion.
Back to top Go down
Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Janette

Female
Number of posts : 4341
Registration date : 2009-09-13

PostSubject: Re: New with lots of questions   New with lots of questions EmptyFri 10 Aug 2012, 11:12 pm

Suggestion: get a second opinion from another surgeon.
Back to top Go down
Wtbt

Female
Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2012-07-02

PostSubject: No surgery for now :-(   New with lots of questions EmptyFri 10 Aug 2012, 11:52 am

I saw the surgeon today and he won't operate on me until my babies are 2 years old. And I also have to have some more tests because I may not be eligible for surgery at all due to a pre existing medical condition. I left his office feeling a little deflated as I had my mind set that this is what I was going to do and the sooner the better. Now I have to wait 14months and that's if I'm able to have surgery at all.
:
Back to top Go down
Wtbt

Female

PostSubject: Re: New with lots of questions   New with lots of questions EmptyFri 06 Jul 2012, 2:17 am

Thank you for your reply sssss.

It is so nice to find a place where you feel supported and others have been through the same experience. Especially when making such a huge decision

My husband said it is up to me if I go ahead but he doesn't want me to do it because he is scared that something will happen to me. I think that I would feel the same way if it was him thinking about the sleeve.

I realize there is a risk but the risk is low. I think the benefits far out way the risks.
Back to top Go down
sssss
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female
Number of posts : 2844
Registration date : 2010-03-12

PostSubject: Re: New with lots of questions   New with lots of questions EmptyThu 05 Jul 2012, 4:51 pm

Hi wtbt

Welcome to the forum and it sounds like you have a lovely young family. I think it's very responsible of you to think about timing so that you can give yourself the best chance of successfully Making it through all stages of the surgery, including recovery,

You'll also find answers to many of your questions in here...either in the topics in general or as you read through people's diaries and get a first hand look at their experiences.

Re your questions:

-- as others have suggested I felt more energetic on opti than I did before I started it. I hated it mind you, but the reasons I felt so great was that it's high protein, I was taking multiple vitamins, I started losing weight and every day brought me one step closer to surgery.
-- post op I was in hospital for six days and all in all took a month off work. I probably could have gone back sooner, but it is major surgery and you need to give yourself time to recover. I know others have gone back after two weeks and many have had to go home and look after kids. It's really important that you not do too much...and not too much heavy lifting for the first wee while. The great news is that with the age yours are at, you will hopefully be able to find the odd 10 or 15 mins here and there where you all sit down in front of a DVD and have a catnap...
-- re your worries about eating. I definitely can't eat as much as I used to...but I can eat what I want when I want..even if it is smaller portions. I eat out quite a bit and continue to throw dinner parties for my friends. I had the surgery because I was worried I wouldn't be around for those special occasions in my kids liives...I was definitely heading for a heart Attack or a stroke.

I hope you're able to find the answers to your questions in a way that works for you And your family. It may be that there's a time of yearwhen your hubby is not so busy (eg many businesses shutdown over Christmas) and you can schedule surgery to take advantage of that. There are other options as well..eg if you'd lived in perth I would have happily baked a couple of meals for the freezer or volunteered for a spot of babysitting. You may find there are similarly helpful souls in the communities you move through everyday.

Good luck

S
Back to top Go down
Wtbt

Female

PostSubject: Re: New with lots of questions   New with lots of questions EmptyThu 05 Jul 2012, 11:04 am

Thanks for your message Mrs potatohead and congrats on the 30kg loss, that's fantastic.

Really hope that I'll be fine to look after the twins post op.

Now I need to decide on a surgeon and get a referral.
Back to top Go down
mrspotatohead

Female
Number of posts : 138
Registration date : 2012-01-12

PostSubject: Re: New with lots of questions   New with lots of questions EmptyWed 04 Jul 2012, 1:21 am

oohhhh i forgot to say. I was lifting my 6 month old 4 days after op and looked after the kids at home by myself from on as my husband works heaps.

You can do it!!!
Back to top Go down
mrspotatohead

Female
Number of posts : 138

PostSubject: Re: New with lots of questions   New with lots of questions EmptyWed 04 Jul 2012, 1:19 am

Hi Sweets,

Firstly i just want to see well done on 4 kids under 5!!!! i struggle with my 2 ha ha.

Okay i started very similar to you and when i had my op my youngest was 6 months and i was still breast feeding that somehow i have managed to continue through this whole journey.

Yep i was petrefied that something would happen during surgery and then i would not be around for my kids and husband. But as morbid as it sounds i knew the chance was small and i had to take the risk as i wasnt feeling like the best mum the way i was going and i am sure without the op i would be even heavier now :( So i took a chance and it so far has more than paid off.

I had my op in march and i am now 30 kg lighter (9 kg of that was on opti). Yep the opti stage sucks but my doctor allowed lots of fruit and veg and protein at night. This made it manageable. But check with your surgen as they all tell us something different. The main purpose of the opti is to shrink our livers so that they are not in the way and a danger during surgery. I have to be honest i was noti f prepaired for the way i felt sooooooo bad straight after the op. It was not nice. However by the time i went home 2 days later i felt almost myself and then after a week i was feeling 70% good. Yep energy levels were low and i still notice now that if i dont take my multivitamin i feel pretty flat. But i can walk for ages and stand for ages without getting tired. We are going on holidays soon and i am really looking forward to my new energy levels.

So i would love to loose another 35 kg or so. I am about 1/2 way there.

Really i think you need to do a lot of research. From what i did it seems like there is a lot more positives for the sleeve over band and there are a lot of people on here that have done both to give you there perspectives.

In regards to eating at your kids weddings dont stress. I can already eat whatever i want and just smaller portions. It will be fine.

All the best and please keep asking us all if you have more questions if you have them.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
Wtbt

Female

PostSubject: Re: New with lots of questions   New with lots of questions EmptyWed 04 Jul 2012, 1:18 am

Thanks so much Suek1995 & Vegas for your replies.

It's stupid I was thinking about not being able to have a meal at my children's weddings the thought never crossed my mind that if I stay this way I might not even be here by the time they get married. What a scary thought!

Over the last few days I have been thinking about the sleeve and I really want to just move forward and do it. But my youngest two are 9month old twins, so I'm really worried about looking after them post op. there is alot going on at hubby's work at the moment and he feels he couldn't have 2 weeks off. And I don't have anyone else to help me out.

How long are you told not to lift for post op?

New with lots of questions 697586
Back to top Go down
Vegas
Vegas

Female
Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2012-04-11

PostSubject: Re: New with lots of questions   New with lots of questions EmptyWed 04 Jul 2012, 12:21 am

Welcome Wtbt, your questions are what a lot of us want to ask before being sleeved. I have a 18 month old and a 3.5 year old (well done for having four I struggle with two) and I work part time. I was really worried about my children when I had the sleeve done as well.

Pre op stage I was fine yes for the first 3-4 days I had head aches and was a little tired but all was manageable, post op it was hard in regards to not being able to lift my 18 month old as he is 14kg but I just made sure before I had the op that I had a stool beside his cot and I changed him on the floor so he got used the change for post op.

As for energy levels I did find I was pretty exhausted for about a month as that is how long I was on the pureed stage for but once again it was manageable it was about 6 weeks out of my life that I had to think more about myself then my family but in turn I am a better mum and wife already with losing 18kg. I will be able to be at my kids weddings now as the sleeve has given me the opportunity to lose the weight to prevent me from getting any illnesses relating to obesity.

I love my sleeve and have no regrets, im not sure if this info helps you but I hope it does a little bit. Good Luck with your decision either way
Back to top Go down
suek1995
suek1995

Female
Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2012-04-17

PostSubject: Re: New with lots of questions   New with lots of questions EmptyTue 03 Jul 2012, 2:50 pm

I've just finished my Opti phase and I had heaps of energy and no detox if that helps. I have a 7yo and a 4yo and work full time. I also study part time. I took Elevit and CQ10 each day which may have helped. He reason I am doing this is I want to be at my girls weddings, I really don't care what I eat there as long as I get to see it. Good luck with your choice.
Back to top Go down
Wtbt

Female

PostSubject: Re: New with lots of questions   New with lots of questions EmptyTue 03 Jul 2012, 5:44 am

Thanks Hem and jessied for your replies.
New with lots of questions 618285
Back to top Go down
HEM
HEM

Female
Number of posts : 160

PostSubject: Re: New with lots of questions   New with lots of questions EmptyTue 03 Jul 2012, 3:40 am

Hi WTBT,
I was about your weight when I started researching the sleeve. My son is has has just turned 3 and I've been keeping up with him & work from about 2 weeks post sleeve Op. I did have a very good run post Op and no complications of any kind. It was juggle, especially the first couple of weeks and I've only the one child - my 10yr miracle. But he was/is a large part of my motivation for this surgery. I wanted to be to able to play with him, climb on stuff at the park and do all the normal parent stuff without worrying about my size.

I still have more than 20kg to lose but I'm loving being able to walk more, sit cross legged and I have alot more energy (and less arthritis pain). My son now eats more than I do, and he and DH make jokes about Mummy's little tummy, but we eat together and probably even more healthily than before.

I think I've have 2 small bouts of vomitting - from fatty food, never got reflux issues and am now 21 weeks post Op, my health is improving and I totally love my sleeve. Wish I had done it 20 years ago.

Feel free to ask all the questions you like, this forum has been the best source of information I've found.
Good luck, Helen
Back to top Go down
jessied
Part of the furniture
jessied

Female
Number of posts : 324
Registration date : 2011-02-12

PostSubject: Re: New with lots of questions   New with lots of questions EmptyTue 03 Jul 2012, 1:49 am

Hi WTBT
Welcome to a great site.

I was sleeved 7 months ago and have lost 43kg and am below goalbut more importantly I am maintaining that weight easily for the first time ever!

It is a huge decision to make and with young children would require planning. I dont have young children so I can only advise that you would be restricted with lifting for a while, it would be much easier for you to have some assistance. But I am sure others who have been in this situation will post more info for you.

I found my energy levels were low while on opti and also post op but this is different for each person.

Our eating habits influence our children but I think having your children see you eating small healthy meals would be a positive influence.

I have found now that I am not focused on food, I can go shopping and enjoy the day without constAntly eating or planning to eat. The freedom this gives me is amazing! Meals with friends can be awkward but it is manageable and good friends are willing to help you by preparing sleeve friendly food or by covering up that you are not eating much.

I have not had any problems with vomiting but I do have sverere reflux requiring medication twice a day but the sleeve is worth it to me.

Keep reading the posts here. Go to the diary section and read back thru some of the earlier posts, you will find a lot of Info in those.

Keep posting here and good luck with your journey.
Jessied
Back to top Go down
Wtbt

Female

PostSubject: New with lots of questions   New with lots of questions EmptyTue 03 Jul 2012, 1:12 am

Hi everyone,

I am 36 years old and 122kgs and have been overweight for as long as I can remember. I have tried numerous diets and the most I seem to last is about 4-5 months.

I am Considering getting the sleeve done but am so overwhelmed. I have so many questions.

My main question is about energy levels both in the optifast pre op and the post op and beyond stage. I have 4 children from 9months to 5 years old, so I need plenty of energy. I have my husband for support but he works long days so basically it's just me to care for the kids.

I feel selfish. I feel like i should not consider doing this until my children are older but i want to set a good example to my kids and be a mum that can play with them more. I do feel like both the kids and I miss out on things due to my size.

Two weeks post op will I be able to look after my kids?

I'm also worried that I will be eating such tiny amounts I will be setting a bad example for my kids. I have never discussed being fat with my 5 year old or trying to lose weight (the other three are too young)

Another thing- and I know this sounds crazy, but I think I won't be able to enjoy a meal at my children's weddings, so many celebrations involve food.

Also do many people experience vomiting with the sleeve?

I have so many questions and concerns, I so desperately want to change.

Sorry for the rambling.
Any advice or tips would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Wtbt
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New with lots of questions   New with lots of questions Empty

Back to top Go down

New with lots of questions
Page 1 of 1