Australian Gastric Sleeve Support Forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Out of pocket expenses for complications/additional surgery, anaesthesia/tests?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
LittleMissCee
Administrator
LittleMissCee

Female
Number of posts : 2103
Registration date : 2010-01-03

Out of pocket expenses for complications/additional surgery, anaesthesia/tests? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Out of pocket expenses for complications/additional surgery, anaesthesia/tests?   Out of pocket expenses for complications/additional surgery, anaesthesia/tests? EmptyTue 10 Jan 2012, 10:26 am

I had a second surgery whilst I was in hospital & spent 3 extra nights in HDU... My private health covered the whole lot.
Back to top Go down
brooke22
brooke22

Female
Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2011-07-11

Out of pocket expenses for complications/additional surgery, anaesthesia/tests? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Out of pocket expenses for complications/additional surgery, anaesthesia/tests?   Out of pocket expenses for complications/additional surgery, anaesthesia/tests? EmptyTue 10 Jan 2012, 4:11 am

Yes, unfortunately there are extra costs, and although private health insurance covers what it can there will still be out of pocket expenses. I had some internal bleeding that led to a second surgery and a 1 day stay in intensive care. I received the letter stating that I will be receiving a bill but not the bill yet.

When I find out exactly what I have to pay for I will let you know if you like.
Back to top Go down
margd
Top Poster
Top Poster
margd

Female
Number of posts : 2628
Registration date : 2011-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Out of pocket expenses for complications/additional surgery, anaesthesia/tests?   Out of pocket expenses for complications/additional surgery, anaesthesia/tests? EmptyMon 09 Jan 2012, 10:55 pm

I am being done at a public hospital but as a private patient because i am self funding,so i have been told any other problems get done on medicare in the public hospital.
Back to top Go down
Smurfette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Smurfette

Female
Number of posts : 1272
Registration date : 2010-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Out of pocket expenses for complications/additional surgery, anaesthesia/tests?   Out of pocket expenses for complications/additional surgery, anaesthesia/tests? EmptyMon 09 Jan 2012, 10:08 pm

Yes so right; extra surgery costs extra; though bear in mind if these are for example; hernia; adhesions; gallbladder etc; they are covered by Medicare; it is only the gap fee of the surgeon and sleep doctor etc that one pays extra. I had to pay extra when receiving my initial Tax Invoice after my op for extra surgery; which also of course took longer than normal. I would hate to see the gap payments one would have to pay if they have/had complications from a 'leak' for instance.
Back to top Go down
lilymck

Female
Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2011-02-19

PostSubject: Out of pocket expenses for complications/additional surgery, anaesthesia/tests?   Out of pocket expenses for complications/additional surgery, anaesthesia/tests? EmptyMon 09 Jan 2012, 1:39 pm

Hi, all was just wondering if anyone out there has had any additional costs relating to complications that arise from the initial sleeve surgery?

Just got my estimate of fees letter and it states on there.

In the event of a complication or unforeseen circumstance additional services may be required such as surgery, anaesthesia, pathology, radiology and pharmacy. This will result in further fees and out of pocket expenses.

It this normal? I am just afraid if I had a complication how much extra money is that gonna cost me as I am strapped as it is. Do most surgeons state this to their patients?

Thanks.....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Out of pocket expenses for complications/additional surgery, anaesthesia/tests?   Out of pocket expenses for complications/additional surgery, anaesthesia/tests? Empty

Back to top Go down

Out of pocket expenses for complications/additional surgery, anaesthesia/tests?
Page 1 of 1