AuthorMessage
Gretchen
Part of the furniture
Gretchen

Female
Number of posts : 322
Registration date : 2011-10-05

18 and booked my first appointment - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: 18 and booked my first appointment   18 and booked my first appointment - Page 2 EmptyThu 06 Oct 2011, 8:40 am

First topic message reminder :

Hi everyone!

My name’s Gretchen and I turned 18 this year.
Height – 173cm
Weight – 111Kg

I’ve been thinking about getting a lap band but have now changed my mind and have decided to go with a sleeve due to a much better review. I have my first appointment with the surgeon at the end of this month with the possibility of getting sleeved by the end of this year or beginning of next year (fingers crossed).

I’ve seen that most of the sleevers on this forum are generally around 30 or older but I’d like to find some young sleevers 20 and under or even those who haven’t been sleeved yet, so I can talk about their experiences and ask loads of questions.

As I’ve decided to keep the whole sleeving a bit hush-hush I’ve decided not to tell any friends or family, only my parents will know. So I was wondering for those young sleevers out there who haven’t told their friends – how does the weight loss affect friendships and all that?

Can’t wait to start this adventure and will let everyone know how the first appointment goes. ^_^
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
heartonmysleeve.m55

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2011-10-07

PostSubject: Re: 18 and booked my first appointment   18 and booked my first appointment - Page 2 EmptyFri 07 Oct 2011, 4:56 pm

Hey! Thanks for replying so quickly, I was kind of freaked out by writing all that down haha

Everything has moved really fast for me. I had my first appt in the last week of September, I had my nutritionist appt last week and then pyschologist and last appt next week. That's only because someone cancelled at the last minute and the practice manager was really accommodating...she didn't want me to be sick during my exams in November. I already had a whole bunch of blood tests done in anticipation for all of this so that sped things up (if you can get them when you get a referral for your GP I would recommend it...mine weren't WLS specific as such, just general bloods) but tbh I would have expected them to have done more tests. Oh well, it works for me!

Don't be disheartened by your GP! Some doctors are terrible with weight loss issues...especially if they haven't experience them themselves...I've heard the whole 'just go to the gym' thing before...umm, I've had a membership since I was 13, it's clearly not doing me much good anymore haha. The first GP I went and saw (I don't have a regular one because I've moved house so many times) refused to give me a referral because I 'wasn't big enough'. Personally, if I technically fit the criteria I don't think it's up to her to say I can't even have a conversation with someone! But, keep trying and there'll definitely be someone who will give you one! Have you already got an appointment with a surgeon? The first surgeon I saw wouldn't do anything for me (he basically said he wanted me to have diabetes and a walking stick before he would touch me...great preventative medicine right there) but the second one was really open to it.

I think I'm going to go with the whole 'gall bladder' thing too...or perhaps an ulcer or something haha. I don't imagine the food to be too much of a problem...they're used to me attempting wacky diets and if I'm lucky enough for anyone to notice my weight loss I wouldn't mind saying I've been on a diet/eating healthily. It is a pretty cool birthday present. Although my boyfriend took work off for my birthday...I don't think this is particularly what he envisaged. I hope it's not too much for him :/ Does anyone know apart from your parents? Would you consider telling anyone else at a later date?

That's so good that you don't drink...I wish I didn't, too many calories!

I agree with you about the risks...much more of a chance of dying from being overweight than the remote chance of complications from surgery (although the thought of a leak is pretty scary!). Also, I spent my teens unhappy with the way I looked, with my weight going up and down, so why waste our 20s being unhappy as well. The only things that worry me is that my surgeon said 'what if we invent some awesome weight loss surgery in the future and you've already permanently altered yourself?" and the fact that there isn't much long term data.

If you don't mind me asking, how are you planning on paying for this? Just interested because I know a lot of the older members probably have more means to pay for it. I'm paying part cash (my entire savings lol) and I was planning on paying part credit card but my application got rejected last week :( I know I can use Medicaid or something but their interest rate is ridiculous.

Good luck with finding a GP! Let me know how it goes :)
Back to top Go down
Gretchen
Part of the furniture
Gretchen

Female

PostSubject: Re: 18 and booked my first appointment   18 and booked my first appointment - Page 2 EmptyFri 07 Oct 2011, 4:25 pm

Thanks for the reply heartonmysleeve.m55!!
and good work on your first post ^___~ I haven't done many I think this is only my 9th =]
Goodluck on your op next week! hope everything goes well!
How long did you have to wait between first appointment with surgeon to the actual surgery itself?
oh and Happy Birthday in advance =]
I couldn't ask for a better birthday present myself haha wish I could have the surgery now!

Personally I think - why wait until we're a few years older and more mature to get the surgery... why can't we just start fixing the problem today??

I probably won't tell my friends anything about going into surgery because since school finshed I usually only get to see my friends once every couple of weeks ='[ although I agree that you might have a bit of trouble hiding it when your birthday is the next day >< You could always say that you're going away for a few days to celebrate your birthday? I was thinking that, say I happen to bump into someone I know in hospital or something I'll use the whole "I'm getting my gall bladder removed" haha or I'm visiting someone..

I wont really have a problem with the whole drinking thing as I rarely drink with my friends haha I normally drink softdrink at parties instead (how lame am I?? haha) but you could always say that you're working the next day or you aren't feeling well.. not in the mood to drink.. same could be applied to eating I suppose unless you want to tell your friends you've decided to go on a diet or something which could help with the future questions of how are you losing weight so fast? (I am a little worried about what friends will think when they see me losing weight and not eating much around them.. maybe they'll think I've gone anorexic O_O)

And about the whole getting something permanent done at my age.. I don't want to be permanently fat for the rest of my life >< I haven't yet found any other ways of losing weight that keep it off...
I've been thinking there's no way I'm going to die this big, I'd feel too sorry for the pallbearers at my funeral who'd break their backs carrying me back out the church o_o
some people may think or say to you "but what if something bad happens? you could die from this!"
well we'll definately die if we don't lose this weight! The only thing I regret.. well not regret but I wish that I could have had this surgery sooner...

Today I went to get a referral from my GP for my appointment with the surgeon at the end of the month but I was told I'm too young I should join a gym instead - there are better ways of losing weight than something as drastic as this.. well clearly being a rather skinny man he hasn't been through the difficulties of trying all things possible to lose weight than gaining back double when you stop what you're doing! so I need to find myself a GP who says yes..

Also as well sorry for my essay haha ^^
Once again goodluck next week! let me know how it all turns out and how you went dealing with not telling your friends ^__~
Back to top Go down
heartonmysleeve.m55

Female
Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2011-10-07

PostSubject: Re: 18 and booked my first appointment   18 and booked my first appointment - Page 2 EmptyFri 07 Oct 2011, 3:59 pm

Hi Gretchen and Emma!
This is my first post (although I've been stalking for a little while haha) so I hope I do it right.
I'm having my sleeve done next week and I turn 21 the day after...best way to spend my 21st haha. I have my psychologist appointment next week (I've already had my appointment with the nutritionist and started Optifast) as well as my final appointment with my surgeon so fingers crossed it all goes well!
Height - 164cm
Weight - 85kg

I was also thinking about the lap band but my surgeon told me about the sleeve and it sounded like a better option. The only people that know are my parents, sister and boyfriend, I would die before I told anyone else. I think it's definitely a bit harder because we're younger...people this age perhaps have a bit less life experience and are a bit less accepting (although in saying that I'm sure there are plenty of intolerant older people too) however at least we get to end the horrible struggle with weight earlier :D

I was just wondering on what you're planning on telling your friends when you go into hospital? I'm really bad at lying and everyone's going to be calling me because it's my birthday and I'm probably going to be dosed up on morphine haha...I guess I could just tell them that I'm having a suuuuper good birthday ;) Also, I don't think we can drink for a while afterwards, which is a minor issue in the scheme of things but I think my friends will think it's really weird that I've gone from drinking like a fish, as it were, to sipping water all night. Do you think this will be a problem for you guys too? Also, how do you feel about having something so permanent done at such a young age? Are you worried you'll regret it later?

Anyway, sorry for the essay and look forward to hearing from you!
Back to top Go down
Gretchen
Part of the furniture
Gretchen

Female

PostSubject: Re: 18 and booked my first appointment   18 and booked my first appointment - Page 2 EmptyThu 06 Oct 2011, 10:44 am

Hi Emma!
Thanks for the reply =] Hope you get your sleeve soon and it's good to know that there are other people who don't tell their friends either ><
Back to top Go down
Emma1989
Part of the furniture
Emma1989

Female
Number of posts : 1041
Registration date : 2011-06-15

PostSubject: Re: 18 and booked my first appointment   18 and booked my first appointment - Page 2 EmptyThu 06 Oct 2011, 9:44 am

Hi Gretchen,

Welcome to the forum!

I was 20 when I got my lap-band, and I was 21 when I got the band removed. I'm hopefully getting the sleeve in either December or January, so I'll either still be 21 or 22.

When I got my lap-band only my close family knew, none of my friend's knew and I wanted to keep it that way. I don't plan on telling anyone other than the close family about my sleeve too. Everyone's different, I just don't feel comfortable telling my friend's because they are all skinny mini's so I don't really feel they know what I go through... It's nice to be able to talk to people on the forum who know what we are going through etc. I'm sure you've come to the right place!

Best of luck!

Emma :)
Back to top Go down
Gretchen
Part of the furniture
Gretchen

Female

PostSubject: 18 and booked my first appointment   18 and booked my first appointment - Page 2 EmptyThu 06 Oct 2011, 8:40 am

Hi everyone!

My name’s Gretchen and I turned 18 this year.
Height – 173cm
Weight – 111Kg

I’ve been thinking about getting a lap band but have now changed my mind and have decided to go with a sleeve due to a much better review. I have my first appointment with the surgeon at the end of this month with the possibility of getting sleeved by the end of this year or beginning of next year (fingers crossed).

I’ve seen that most of the sleevers on this forum are generally around 30 or older but I’d like to find some young sleevers 20 and under or even those who haven’t been sleeved yet, so I can talk about their experiences and ask loads of questions.

As I’ve decided to keep the whole sleeving a bit hush-hush I’ve decided not to tell any friends or family, only my parents will know. So I was wondering for those young sleevers out there who haven’t told their friends – how does the weight loss affect friendships and all that?

Can’t wait to start this adventure and will let everyone know how the first appointment goes. ^_^
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 18 and booked my first appointment   18 and booked my first appointment - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

18 and booked my first appointment
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2