Bella77
13 posters
AuthorMessage
lisabell

Female
Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2011-09-01

Post Op Shoulder tip pain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Post Op Shoulder tip pain   Post Op Shoulder tip pain EmptyTue 13 Mar 2012, 2:02 am

Here's a link which explains it. Seems to be quite common. As I also had a hernia repair and have preivous laprascopic surgeries ie lap band in and out, I am in the group of those it most happens to.

Here's the link:
'
http://www.core.monash.org/assets/documents/research-papers/2005-52.pdf

8 days post op and I'm still in alot of pain from my shoulder. Can't sleep. Got doc's appt tomorrow so will discuss with him.
Back to top Go down
lin1970
Top Poster
Top Poster
lin1970

Female
Number of posts : 3316
Registration date : 2011-11-18

PostSubject: Re: Post Op Shoulder tip pain   Post Op Shoulder tip pain EmptySun 11 Mar 2012, 5:18 am

thanks lisabell, my left is the hand i write with
Back to top Go down
lisabell

Female

PostSubject: Re: Post Op Shoulder tip pain   Post Op Shoulder tip pain EmptySun 11 Mar 2012, 1:32 am

It's in my left shoulder lin
I told my surgeon last week and he said he's known people who it lasts for weeks with and it just goes on it's own.
Degas doesn't work (I've tried them) have been for walks to see if I can shift it, all to no avail.
I have a follow up appt on Wed so will wait and see how I go by then.
Back to top Go down
lin1970
Top Poster
Top Poster
lin1970

Female
Number of posts : 3316
Registration date : 2011-11-18

PostSubject: Re: Post Op Shoulder tip pain   Post Op Shoulder tip pain EmptySat 10 Mar 2012, 11:39 pm

What shoulder did you get it in?
Back to top Go down
Val 007
Part of the furniture
Val 007

Female
Number of posts : 728
Registration date : 2011-11-15

PostSubject: Re: Post Op Shoulder tip pain   Post Op Shoulder tip pain EmptySat 10 Mar 2012, 11:13 pm

Lisabell

If it has not got any better by tomorrow morning ring your Surgeon please. There maybe something you can get by prescription that is better than over the counter.

Val
Back to top Go down
jessied
Part of the furniture
jessied

Female
Number of posts : 324
Registration date : 2011-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Post Op Shoulder tip pain   Post Op Shoulder tip pain EmptySat 10 Mar 2012, 11:04 pm

Hi

have you tried "Degas" tablets to help get rid of the gas from the op? Also lots of walking may help.

best wishes

jessied
Back to top Go down
lisabell

Female

PostSubject: Re: Post Op Shoulder tip pain   Post Op Shoulder tip pain EmptySat 10 Mar 2012, 9:48 pm

Hi All,

I am 7 days post op and my shoulder tip pain is keeping me awake all night and I can only nod off for a few hours.
I've had it since day 1 after the op and heat packs and panadol (and I even tried tramadol) haven't made a difference.
I've tried limiting my fluid intake in case I'm gulping/drinking too much in one sitting but to no avail.
Any suggestions would be greatfully appreciated

Lisa x
Back to top Go down
FNM
FNM

Female
Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2011-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Post Op Shoulder tip pain   Post Op Shoulder tip pain EmptyMon 26 Sep 2011, 12:44 pm

I had terrible pain that was only relieved by a morphine injection. Fortunately it didn't last beyond that first night. Crying like a big girl got me that injection!
Back to top Go down
CareBear
Part of the furniture
CareBear

Female
Number of posts : 354
Registration date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Post Op Shoulder tip pain   Post Op Shoulder tip pain EmptyMon 26 Sep 2011, 11:27 am

I had it after a week to 10 days out. Was at home and woke in the middle of the night with it. I thought I was having a heart attack - achecking my pulse, panicking - then my partner reminded me about the shoulder tip pain - he'd had it bad after a hernia op. I found getting up and walking around helped, i then had a hot shower a pain killer and jumped back into bed. It never came back PHEW!!
Back to top Go down
smeggles
smeggles

Female
Number of posts : 198
Registration date : 2011-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Post Op Shoulder tip pain   Post Op Shoulder tip pain EmptyMon 26 Sep 2011, 2:21 am

I was lucky to miss out on this pain too....

The lady next to me had a bad time with it... she found it tough to get a good nights sleep....
Made me think about it... I wonder why i didn't suffer any of it....
I was fully expecting to have the shoulder tip pain as i had read that many people have it and it was also in the notes i received...

I am more than happy not have had it but i still wonder why some people don't experience this. I was told it was from the gas they use to inflate the area in order to operate???
Back to top Go down
Beckstar77
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 214
Registration date : 2011-01-01

PostSubject: Re: Post Op Shoulder tip pain   Post Op Shoulder tip pain EmptyMon 26 Sep 2011, 1:24 am

I had TERRIBLE shoulder pain. It was so bad recovery I could hardly breathe! It lasted fir ages with me, weeks. I'd be ok one day, only to get it the next.
Unfortunatly nothing helped but I did take strong painkillers and use heat packs.
I was told it was a sign of being full in the early stages... So glad it's gone now, it was plain awful!!
Back to top Go down
lisagraham
lisagraham

Female
Number of posts : 112
Registration date : 2011-06-20

PostSubject: Re: Post Op Shoulder tip pain   Post Op Shoulder tip pain EmptyMon 26 Sep 2011, 1:12 am

I got it really bad!!! Heat packs and panadol didnt touch the pain. I had to have morphine. It started the day after the op and only lasted 36hrs thank god!!
Back to top Go down
Synna
Part of the furniture
Synna

Female
Number of posts : 436
Location : That twilight space between sleep and consciousness
Registration date : 2010-08-23

PostSubject: Re: Post Op Shoulder tip pain   Post Op Shoulder tip pain EmptySun 25 Sep 2011, 11:20 pm

I had some the night after surgery, but it was more annoying than anything. A lovely nurse gave me a heat pack and it helped.
Back to top Go down
Caz
Sponsor
Caz

Female
Number of posts : 5909
Registration date : 2009-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Post Op Shoulder tip pain   Post Op Shoulder tip pain EmptySun 25 Sep 2011, 11:00 pm

I missed out on it thanks goodness!
Back to top Go down
Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Janette

Female
Number of posts : 4341
Registration date : 2009-09-13

PostSubject: Re: Post Op Shoulder tip pain   Post Op Shoulder tip pain EmptySun 25 Sep 2011, 9:14 pm

I was 2 weeks post op before I had any shoulder tip pain.
I thought I have escaped it.

Remember as I was at my sons when I got it, and I didn't fly up to him until I was 14 days out.
I had it for about a week, used Panadol and heat packs.
Something I could have done without!!
Back to top Go down
Bella77
Part of the furniture
Bella77

Female
Number of posts : 289
Registration date : 2010-08-04

PostSubject: Post Op Shoulder tip pain   Post Op Shoulder tip pain EmptySun 25 Sep 2011, 4:23 pm

Hi All

Just curious as to how many of you suffered Shoulder tip Pain and how bad it was. I have had a few laparoscopic procedures as well as my band in and out and have always suffered really badly with it. Just curious as to how people have found it with this op...I'm guessing it could be the same for me as its another laparoscopic procedure. Also if you did suffer it, how did you deal with it. Any ideas on how to relieve it. I hate it so much. I'm not scared of having the surgery at all except from the should tip pain, thats how bad I can get it. I know its something you get through but I just hate it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Post Op Shoulder tip pain   Post Op Shoulder tip pain Empty

Back to top Go down

Post Op Shoulder tip pain
Page 1 of 1