AuthorMessage
Jillybean
Part of the furniture
Jillybean

Female
Number of posts : 815
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Band to Sleeve in One Go Empty
PostSubject: Re: Band to Sleeve in One Go   Band to Sleeve in One Go EmptyTue 10 Mar 2009, 1:33 am

Hi Scott
My Doc in Townsville told me that the longer between band removal and sleeving the better.
He reckoned there was less chance for something to go wrong. But all Doctors have differing opinions.
I had 7 years between Band and Sleeving so he was happy and I am so glad I had the sleeve done and just wished I had had it done sooner - I just lurve my tiny tummy.
As Gail said its great not having food restrictions just a smaller portion.
Cheers Jilly
Back to top Go down
Gail
Part of the furniture
Gail

Female
Number of posts : 600
Registration date : 2008-09-08

PostSubject: Re: Band to Sleeve in One Go   Band to Sleeve in One Go EmptyTue 10 Mar 2009, 12:03 am

What Scott has mentioned about the stomach folding like a paper bad makes sense to me as I can remember my Dr tell me after my band removal that he'd straighten my stomach out again.

I waited 5 months to be sleeved after my band came out, but that was because I had to fit around my family in Brisbane's plan as one of them was flying down to Sydney to look after me as I live alone. Was also very lucky to only put on a couple of kgs due to hard work and persistence with exercise and watching my diet.

There are a couple of Dr in other states who will do both procedures at once though and Rowena's is obviously one of them.

Am loving my new tiny tummy and also not having any food restrictions other than portion size.

Cheers
Gail
Back to top Go down
Deb
Sponsor
Deb

Female
Number of posts : 1924
Registration date : 2008-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Band to Sleeve in One Go   Band to Sleeve in One Go EmptyMon 09 Mar 2009, 12:28 pm

Thanks for that Scott. I had not heard that before. I thought it was mainly to reduce the chances of leaks that they did the procedure from band to sleeve in two operations.
Back to top Go down
scottdelta

Male
Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2009-03-09

PostSubject: Re: Band to Sleeve in One Go   Band to Sleeve in One Go EmptyMon 09 Mar 2009, 12:21 pm

I am also converting from Band to sleeve after watching the weight drop off my Wife and Son after their operations.
I believe that if you go to the trouble and risk of getting this operation it should be done correctly. As the band restricts the tissue, it folds together like a paper bag, it will take 3 - 6 months for the tissue to return as close to normal as it can after the band has been removed, therefore, if you get sleeved at the same time as the band is removed, after 3 - 6 months you will not have the sleeve you should have, it will not be as effective as the tissue returns to expansion from the band.
However if you choose a bypass, this will have a lesser effect.
I have been researching and interviewing Doctors for a few years now and I do not know any Doctors that recommend converting from Band to Sleeve at the same operation.

Just my thoughts, I am Interested in yours.

Scott
Back to top Go down
Janey
Sponsor
Janey

Female
Number of posts : 2872
Registration date : 2008-11-22

PostSubject: Band to Sleeve in One Go   Band to Sleeve in One Go EmptySat 06 Dec 2008, 2:13 pm

Hi Rowena,
Who is doing your op? Just interested if that is OK.
Best of luck with it all. Obviously the band has been a nightmare or unsuccessful or both. I used to think I was the only one who had failed with the band but now I know I'm not. Thank God. It has been a bit of a blow to my self esteem and has caused me no end of depression thinking this.

Cheers,

Janey
Back to top Go down
Rowena
Rowena

Female
Number of posts : 79
Registration date : 2008-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Band to Sleeve in One Go   Band to Sleeve in One Go EmptySat 06 Dec 2008, 10:40 am

When my surgery finally happens, I will be having my band removed and the sleeve put in in the same operation. I was too worried about putting on more weight in the 3 months waiting than i would feel comfortable with.
Back to top Go down
Janey
Sponsor
Janey

Female

PostSubject: Band to Sleeve in One Go   Band to Sleeve in One Go EmptySat 06 Dec 2008, 3:10 am

Hi Lisab
I totally agree with that. It makes perfect sense to me. I think the risk of 2 anaethestics would be just as high as the risk of complications due to adhesions. My lapband was put in 3 years ago and any adhesions would be that old. I haven't had any port problems or anything so what's there is there and hasn't been touched or fiddled with at all.
Once the bands removed any adhesions that are there are permanent and no amount of waiting is going to get rid of them. Cutting them out is the only option that I can see. I've had 2 caesars and had lots of adhesions that were just left there and operated around.
Maybe I'm missing something but it seems to me it's possibly more of a question of lawsuits that the poor surgeons have to worry about that makes them so reluctant to do the 2 in one go. I would hate to be in their shoes these days. People sue when there's no earthly reason apart from their own stupidity. Maccas making them fat for example. Please don't get me wrong I agree litigation is a necessary process in true cases of malpractice etc.
I am more than happy to take responsibility for any thing that may go wrong if I opt to take the chance and have them both done at once. If I've made a stupid mistake by being impatient and just wanting it done then I'm more than happy to accept the consequences for my actions and I can also totally understand those that wouldn't want to take the risk. I think it's a personal, informed decision. Every operation is a risk. If the surgeons advised me of all the possible complications and I choose to go ahead then it's on my head not his. Unless of course he's done something really wrong like operating intoxicated, standing on this head and wearing a blindfold!!!LOL.
So anyway I'll get off my soapbox and see how I go when I see my surgeon.
Lots of luck to you with your op. I'll be very interested to see how you go.
Cheers,

Janey
Back to top Go down
lisab
Part of the furniture
lisab

Female
Number of posts : 227
Registration date : 2008-09-04

PostSubject: band to sleeve in one go   Band to Sleeve in One Go EmptyFri 05 Dec 2008, 2:01 pm

Hi Janey,
I am going from the band to sleeve in one operation, my doctor said that if there is scarring from the band it will still be there even if you wait a few months
after taking out the band. He believes that there is more risk in having two surgeries especially if you are still obese as I am, he took all of my fill out a couple of
months ago and as I am no longer vomiting daily He believes that by the time I have surgery , any swelling or inflamation that I might have had will be gone.
I believe that Purplehaze is having her band out and being sleeved at once any day now so you might want to check on her progress. By the way Purplehaze
and myself are both in Melbourne so cant help you with WA doctors.
Lisab
Back to top Go down
Janey
Sponsor
Janey

Female

PostSubject: Band to Sleeve in One Go   Band to Sleeve in One Go EmptyFri 05 Dec 2008, 12:28 pm

Hi again Ricecake
The main reason I'm so keen is a) I've had multiple surgeries during my life and they don't faze me one bit. I always recover quickly and easily touch wood. b) After living with this bloody band for 3 years and still being fat has totally p.....d me off and I just want it over and to start losing weight again and c) I'm just an impatient bugger who wants it done yesterday. Honest enough for you. LOL.
I am also a mother of 3 with a husband who's not much help as he's work obsessed and will never take time off for me and the kids. So getting it over and done with would suit me much better than having to go in again a couple of months down the track.
I'm not particularly worried about putting on weight as I've had minimal fill for a couple of years now and my weight has been stable and I eat what I like. I hope that I could keep this up once the band was removed. The only difference would be no fear of a blockage as I still occasionally get one.
Hope this all makes sense and of course I would go with the Doctors wishes but I wouldn't go down without a fight. Hehehe.

Cheers,

Janey
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Band to Sleeve in One Go   Band to Sleeve in One Go EmptyFri 05 Dec 2008, 10:03 am

Janey, I am really not sure but I think someone has had this done recently, but my feeling on it is that your body will need time to heel from damage from the band, scar tissue ect and to optimise the success (i.e reduce your risks of leaks post sleeve) you are best to have two separate procedures. I do know quite a few doctors recommend a 3 month wait between debanding and sleeving.

Is there any reason you want them done together. You could always do transitional optifast in between the two if you are worried about gaining weight.
Back to top Go down
Janey
Sponsor
Janey

Female

PostSubject: Band to Sleeve in One Go   Band to Sleeve in One Go EmptyFri 05 Dec 2008, 8:07 am

Hi all,
Does anyone know if Dr Padovan considers doing a de-banding and a new sleeve in one go? I would be very happy to hear from anyone who has had this done by him and also anyone who has had this done in the one op and how it went.
Looking forward to hearing from someone.

Cheers,

Janey Band to Sleeve in One Go 63412
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Band to Sleeve in One Go   Band to Sleeve in One Go Empty

Back to top Go down

Band to Sleeve in One Go
Page 1 of 1