Australian Gastric Sleeve Support Forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Australian Diabetes Council announces support for Bariatric Surgery!

Go down 
+6
neljatye
amanda O'D
chrisbychic
gottarhyme
Kati
Tash
10 posters
AuthorMessage

Australian Diabetes Council announces support for Bariatric Surgery! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Australian Diabetes Council announces support for Bariatric Surgery!   Australian Diabetes Council announces support for Bariatric Surgery! EmptyWed 28 Sep 2011, 4:16 am

I hope they do allow more surgeries to be done publically. I'm one of the lucky ones getting sleeved publically next year and the surgeon told me they are very pro-sleeve there as they are now starting to see the true benefit of this operation and as such the number performed is increasing rapidly compared to the band.
Back to top Go down
Shazbotzski
Part of the furniture
Shazbotzski

Female
Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2010-08-20

PostSubject: Re: Australian Diabetes Council announces support for Bariatric Surgery!   Australian Diabetes Council announces support for Bariatric Surgery! EmptyTue 27 Sep 2011, 11:43 am

I was type 2 diabetic and about to start on insulin. Since my op in august, my diabetes is gone. Normal HBA1C. It should 100% be available. The cost of complications from diabetesfar outways the small cost of the op.
Back to top Go down
roggernrogger

Male
Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2011-09-27

PostSubject: Re: Australian Diabetes Council announces support for Bariatric Surgery!   Australian Diabetes Council announces support for Bariatric Surgery! EmptyTue 27 Sep 2011, 10:58 am

Bariatric Surgery very helpful to health. It is very beneficial for many purpose. I helps to lose weight and done for that. It helps to control and reduce the risk of cardiovascular diseases, cancer and many more. It keeps your body fit and healthy. But everything has its side effects also. This surgery also has its side effects so take an advise before going ahead.

For more information you can also visit : ebariatricsurgery.com

Last edited by roggernrogger on Fri 30 Sep 2011, 5:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Shrinkingpeach

Female
Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2011-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Australian Diabetes Council announces support for Bariatric Surgery!   Australian Diabetes Council announces support for Bariatric Surgery! EmptyThu 07 Apr 2011, 11:30 pm

Its a good thing, I was on the wait list for the sleeve in adelaide, but the wait is very long and the process painful. I got a few surgery dates but they were cancelled because the hospital was always full. It would be good if they made it more easily available on the public health system.
Back to top Go down
amanda O'D
Part of the furniture
amanda O'D

Female
Number of posts : 901
Registration date : 2010-11-13

PostSubject: Re: Australian Diabetes Council announces support for Bariatric Surgery!   Australian Diabetes Council announces support for Bariatric Surgery! EmptyThu 07 Apr 2011, 9:21 pm

Wow a sleeve under the public health system i am impressed and very pleased to be proven wrong.
here in adelaide best one can hope for is gastric bypass and that is if you can hold on for the two to three years on the wait list, then all the appointment rescheduling.
Can only hope that this is the start of the sleeve being done for those who need it on a national level.

warmly
amanda
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female
Number of posts : 7036
Registration date : 2008-06-02

PostSubject: Re: Australian Diabetes Council announces support for Bariatric Surgery!   Australian Diabetes Council announces support for Bariatric Surgery! EmptyThu 07 Apr 2011, 8:45 pm

Oh wow - a sleeve in the public system in NSW? Fantastic! I would have qualified easily, so what a shame they weren't handing them out when I needed it! It was worth the money, though!
Back to top Go down
sue
Top Poster
Top Poster
sue

Female
Number of posts : 3609
Registration date : 2008-06-15

PostSubject: Re: Australian Diabetes Council announces support for Bariatric Surgery!   Australian Diabetes Council announces support for Bariatric Surgery! EmptyThu 07 Apr 2011, 1:57 pm

I had the sleeve done on the public health system here in perth and i have a friend who has waited 2years on the list and will be having her op done later this year i had type 2 diabetes and was borderline type 1 since having the sleeve ive not had to have 1 diabetic med and my bloods are excellent so it certainly does benefit

hugs sue
Back to top Go down
neljatye
Part of the furniture
neljatye

Female
Number of posts : 470
Registration date : 2010-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Australian Diabetes Council announces support for Bariatric Surgery!   Australian Diabetes Council announces support for Bariatric Surgery! EmptyThu 07 Apr 2011, 1:14 pm

My brother is about to have the sleeve under the public health system. the conditions being you have to have chronic illness as a result of your weight. he also had to show his commitment by losing weight before the operation. he was 179kgs in oct last year,...has been on optifast ever since and is now 144kgs and having the sleeve on the 14th of April. our surgeon has been approved to do 20 operations a year under the public system as it is a trial and my brother had to be approved by a board. they are getting there with their knowledge of the medical benefits of sleeves etc but it is a slow process..
Nerida
Back to top Go down
amanda O'D
Part of the furniture
amanda O'D

Female
Number of posts : 901
Registration date : 2010-11-13

PostSubject: Re: Australian Diabetes Council announces support for Bariatric Surgery!   Australian Diabetes Council announces support for Bariatric Surgery! EmptyThu 07 Apr 2011, 12:16 pm

I'm cynical the way i read eligible patients are those with PHC or funds to cover the operation, while it is great the benefits for diabetics are being voiced I doubt very much that we will get to see the sleeve offered through the public health system any time soon.

warmly
amanda
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female
Number of posts : 7036
Registration date : 2008-06-02

PostSubject: Re: Australian Diabetes Council announces support for Bariatric Surgery!   Australian Diabetes Council announces support for Bariatric Surgery! EmptyThu 07 Apr 2011, 9:42 am

I think it's great too, but I just hope they don't insist on the band!
Back to top Go down
gottarhyme
Top Poster
Top Poster
gottarhyme

Female
Number of posts : 3826
Registration date : 2011-02-22

PostSubject: Re: Australian Diabetes Council announces support for Bariatric Surgery!   Australian Diabetes Council announces support for Bariatric Surgery! EmptyThu 07 Apr 2011, 9:37 am

About bloody time! There would probably be no type two diabetes in Australia if every one who had it had access to this surgery!
Back to top Go down
Kati
Sponsor
Kati

Female
Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2010-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Australian Diabetes Council announces support for Bariatric Surgery!   Australian Diabetes Council announces support for Bariatric Surgery! EmptyThu 07 Apr 2011, 8:03 am

Bloody good.
Back to top Go down
Tash
Top Poster
Top Poster
Tash

Female
Number of posts : 1492
Registration date : 2011-03-30

PostSubject: Australian Diabetes Council announces support for Bariatric Surgery!   Australian Diabetes Council announces support for Bariatric Surgery! EmptyThu 07 Apr 2011, 7:32 am

The
IDF has announced it's support for bariatric surgery being considered
earlier in the treatment of eligible patients to help stem the serious
complications. Read more at:

http://www.australiandiabetescouncil.com/Media-and-publications/Latest-News/IDF-advises-bariatric-surgery-occur-earlier-for-ob.aspx

Also
http://www.idf.org/idf-releases-position-paper-bariatric-surgery
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Australian Diabetes Council announces support for Bariatric Surgery!   Australian Diabetes Council announces support for Bariatric Surgery! Empty

Back to top Go down

Australian Diabetes Council announces support for Bariatric Surgery!
Page 1 of 1