16 posters
AuthorMessage
gheevette
gheevette

Female
Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2011-11-28

Severe PCOS and sleeve success??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Severe PCOS and sleeve success???   Severe PCOS and sleeve success??? EmptySun 01 Mar 2015, 8:37 am

Your right DayleD 
It really does help with sooooo many issues who would have thought?!?
Back to top Go down
DayleD
Part of the furniture
DayleD

Female
Number of posts : 1076
Registration date : 2014-04-12

PostSubject: Re: Severe PCOS and sleeve success???   Severe PCOS and sleeve success??? EmptyFri 20 Feb 2015, 9:23 pm

I can relate to this being a PCOS person for 20+ years.  6 months post op and I have had a period once a month (or every 5 weeks or so which is my regular) since surgery.  The first 3 months were agonising periods, but the past few have been 'normal' pain wise and a little shorter.

Pre sleeve I was a 4-6 month period person, excrutiating pain, last at least 8 days of heavy flow.  I may not enjoy the regularity these days, but know my body is soooo much healthier for it.

Amazing what the sleeve can help with.

DayleD
Back to top Go down
gheevette
gheevette

Female
Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2011-11-28

PostSubject: Re: Severe PCOS and sleeve success???   Severe PCOS and sleeve success??? EmptyTue 17 Feb 2015, 8:49 am

I get a period every 28 days now on the dot after having a sleeve 3 years ago. At 14 I was advised to have a hysterectomy because my PCOS was so bad. Luckily I didn't and I now have a beautiful 2 year old daughter, something I was told would never happen with my severe PCOS. I'm no longer on any PCOS meds and at my last ultra sound there was no evidence of any cysts at all!
I occasionally have a painful period but nothing like the pain I used to get.
Back to top Go down
spazzi

Female
Number of posts : 88
Registration date : 2013-09-08

PostSubject: Re: Severe PCOS and sleeve success???   Severe PCOS and sleeve success??? EmptySat 22 Nov 2014, 9:58 am

Before getting sleeved I hadn't had my period for at least a year, I hardly ever got it. Since getting sleeved and losing almost 70kgs I now get it regularly. I'm 8 months post sleeve and probably started getting my period 3 months post op. A couple of times I've got it twice in the one month, but I think now it's starting to regulate and get into some sort of normal cycle. It's pretty good, the only down side is the HORRIBLE PAIN!! I am getting such bad period pain its the worst. I have some prescription medication (Ponstan) for it now and it seems to be working really well. I have been relatively pain free for the last two months. 

Overall I think the sleeve has def helped my PCOS. A lot!
Back to top Go down
DayleD
Part of the furniture
DayleD

Female
Number of posts : 1076
Registration date : 2014-04-12

PostSubject: Re: Severe PCOS and sleeve success???   Severe PCOS and sleeve success??? EmptySat 11 Oct 2014, 10:06 am

Old thread I know but very interested in knowing how it had gone for other sleevers with PCOS.  I have also had PCOS for approx 20 years and the past few years had my period about every 4-6 months on average.  Since being sleeved 3 months ago, and losing 30kilos, I have had my period twice!  That's averaging every 6 weeks and since my 'normal' cycle was every 5 weeks back when I was a teenager I'm thinking I may be back on track, already.  It's really astonished me how quickly it's all gotten back in synch.  I had assumed my weight loss would be slower than others having PCOS and also diabetes, but to be honest haven't noticed the difference to others that much.  I don't have big losses every now and then like others seem to, mine seems to be more even and constant losses, but I can't say it's been a factor, so far, in weight loss post op.  I do seem to be exercising more than some people are and am not losing more (or even as much) because of it, but maybe that's just the PCOS way.  It's only early days for me but it seems that the sleeve has helped out in all areas so far, including blood sugar.

Now I just have to get used to having 8 day heavy agonising periods once again.  Do I rejoice??  Oh well, at least I know my body is healthier for it.

DayleD
Back to top Go down
Angel_Est1982
Part of the furniture
Angel_Est1982

Female
Number of posts : 204
Registration date : 2013-05-21

PostSubject: Re: Severe PCOS and sleeve success???   Severe PCOS and sleeve success??? EmptySun 01 Sep 2013, 6:31 am

I had been diagnosed with PCOS about 8 years ago and my periods have been all over the place for years. 

Since the surgery (3 1/2months ago), I've lost almost 34kgs and my periods seem to be coming regularly (well, regular like when I first got them). 

I never thought I'd be able to lose weight like this after trying many things before and to have my periods get back to normal makes me feel more normal again. 

Good luck to everyone with your journey :)
Back to top Go down
Brodie_83
Brodie_83

Female
Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2013-06-28

PostSubject: Re: Severe PCOS and sleeve success???   Severe PCOS and sleeve success??? EmptyFri 30 Aug 2013, 2:49 am

I'm three weeks post op today and have lost 17.1kgs so far. But the best part of all. I got my period today.  First time in over three years. I have suffered PCOS badly since I was 16. So this is a major milestone. Lets hope with more weight loss my periods become regular and I can start trying for a baby after a year or so. So happy, who would have thought any woman would be happy to get her period lol
Back to top Go down
Feebe

Female
Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2013-06-15

PostSubject: Re: Severe PCOS and sleeve success???   Severe PCOS and sleeve success??? EmptySat 22 Jun 2013, 1:44 pm

It is so reassuring to hear all of your storries.  I am booked in for my op next Feb and cannot wait.  I have had PCOS since hitting puberty and over the last 4 years it has gotten worse as my weight has increased.
My Hubby and I have been trying for a baby for 2 years without success and now that I have a date for surgery we are putting baby plans on hold untill it is done.

For so long I have felt like a failure when trying to lose weight and everyone seems to think they understand what it is like.  They all have suggestions and advice which I know comes from a good place but they really don't understand.

You are all really inspiring and I can't wait to be on this journey too.
Back to top Go down
http://thetaleofmygastricsleeve.blogspot.com.au/
debrobdan

Female
Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2012-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Severe PCOS and sleeve success???   Severe PCOS and sleeve success??? EmptyTue 04 Jun 2013, 5:14 am

Hi
I was type 2 diabetic and was on 4 injections a day I have lost 50 kg in 9 months and I haven't taken insulin from 2 weeks post op I am on 1 - 2 tablets a day now and feeling great I hope everything works out for you good luck
Back to top Go down
feelinfab

Female
Number of posts : 95
Registration date : 2013-01-27

PostSubject: Re: Severe PCOS and sleeve success???   Severe PCOS and sleeve success??? EmptyTue 04 Jun 2013, 2:14 am

I was Diagnosed with PCOS 20+years ago and have been on a number of meds over the years most recently Diabex. I have a 5yo daughter via IVF our attempts to give her a sibling failed. Wt has ALWAYS been a struggle for me ie I shared a house with 2 other women when I was younger, we all did WW together ate the same things I probably ate less and exercised more they would loose I wouldn't, I could keep giving you a lifetime of examples - the same story everyone with PCOS can tell you.
I had my op on the 23rd Jan, stopped my diabex the day before op and I have lost about 30kg.
I still have the facial hair etc but my periods are definitely changing - more regular, duration & heaviness too.
I say go for it, you have little to loose and so much to gain by improving your health. Even just being able to be more active is a great thing and can help with conception, and for me I will be able to live longer and enjoy our little miracle girl.
Back to top Go down
Kas
Part of the furniture
Kas

Female
Number of posts : 413
Registration date : 2012-09-01

PostSubject: Re: Severe PCOS and sleeve success???   Severe PCOS and sleeve success??? EmptyMon 03 Jun 2013, 1:30 pm

Hi

I am a PCOS who spent 2 years prior to my gastric sleeve eating nothing wrong and exercising like a maniac with no success!

My endo recommended the op and I have now lost 32 kg and am below my goal weight by 7ish kg, and still losing.

I have been around a few other Sleevers and have watched them lose rather quickly with no real dieting or exercise where I have had to work for every kg, hard! But saying that, I have lost the weight where I wouldn't have before!!

I too have been fairly clear of carbs, protein cereal for breekie, fruit, yoghurt and nuts for snacks, salad with protein for lunch and healthy family dinners with only two teaspoon of carbs if I can fit them after my protein and vege/salad.

I was insulin resistant before op and at 6mth check my surgeon said all my bloods looked like a text book perfect bloods list!!

Ash- hang in there hun, I know your having a bad time with the PCOS right now, fingers crossed they will get you sorted, PCOS and infertility suck, i have very clear memories of it, but I had a great dr who got me there and I hope you will find that dr for you soon!!!

Kas
Back to top Go down
Ruby7

Female
Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2013-05-07

PostSubject: Re: Severe PCOS and sleeve success???   Severe PCOS and sleeve success??? EmptyMon 03 Jun 2013, 12:15 pm

Hi

I am in the process of deciding between lap band and the sleeve... I have been diagnosed with PCOS since I was 16, and although weight is a issue my main problem is Hair growth EVERYWHERE lol

I am wondering if anyone has had a major reduction in hair loss with the sleeve, not on your sculpt but other parts, ie back, chest... and if it has stayed off long term???
Back to top Go down
Rainbowclouds

Female
Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2013-05-20

PostSubject: Surgery for diabetes and PCOS   Severe PCOS and sleeve success??? EmptyMon 20 May 2013, 5:59 am

Hi

I have been overweight my whole life, even as a baby, however I've always been very very active playing lots of sports and keeping fit. I was diagnosed with PCOS at 15 and told come back if you want to have children, I have subsequently developed type 2 diabetes, due to PCOS and my genetics.

Frustration took me yet again to my GP to be referred to an endocrinologist as nothing works, I can spend 3 hours in the gym a day and eat well and don't lose weight...so in summary my endocrinologist has told me its genetic and the only thing that will work and probably improve my PCOS and could reverse my diabetes is a Gastric Sleeve...so here I am my op is in 2 weeks time and I'm about to embark upon my Optifast diet for the next 10 days.

I would be interested to here if there is anyone else who has both PCOS and Diabetes or just diabetes that has been recommended this option, and where they are at in their journey.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
Riebie
Riebie

Female
Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2012-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Severe PCOS and sleeve success???   Severe PCOS and sleeve success??? EmptySun 25 Nov 2012, 12:10 am

I asked my Dr about the success rates of patients with PCOS as opposed to those without, as this was my concern also, and he said that he hasn't seen a difference in the results, and patients with PCOS have still lost sufficient weight, and helped to reverse their PCOS.
Back to top Go down
Tracey_379
Part of the furniture
Tracey_379

Female
Number of posts : 257
Registration date : 2012-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Severe PCOS and sleeve success???   Severe PCOS and sleeve success??? EmptyFri 12 Oct 2012, 1:48 am

Thanks Bec for the advice, great to hear others experience. Low carb sounds like a winner.
Back to top Go down
mum of four (bec)
Part of the furniture
mum of four (bec)

Female
Number of posts : 333
Registration date : 2011-04-23

PostSubject: Re: Severe PCOS and sleeve success???   Severe PCOS and sleeve success??? EmptyFri 12 Oct 2012, 1:39 am

I stuck to protein, protein, protein all the way. Apart from the occasional optifast shake or bar when weight loss slowed it was all natural proteins - chicken, tuna, salmon, minced steak, cheese, yoghurt, milk, eggs, ham, bacon, baked beans. I then added small amounts of salad, veg, fruits. That was my 80% 'good'. I still had treats but they were small amounts and usually when I went out. I still don't eat bread, pasta or rice as it just takes up too much room so I think you could still call my diet low carb. No secret really, just perserverence. I'm no angel, I still get it wrong and I still love my food!
Back to top Go down
Tracey_379
Part of the furniture
Tracey_379

Female

PostSubject: Re: Severe PCOS and sleeve success???   Severe PCOS and sleeve success??? EmptyFri 12 Oct 2012, 12:43 am

Hi Bec

Wow congrats on your amazing weight loss, I had a sleeve done about 12 weeks ago I have lost about 21 kgs in this time but it is already starting to slow down. Have u reduced carbs in your diet? What is your secret? Again well done your results have inspired me take care.
Back to top Go down
mum of four (bec)
Part of the furniture
mum of four (bec)

Female
Number of posts : 333
Registration date : 2011-04-23

PostSubject: Re: Severe PCOS and sleeve success???   Severe PCOS and sleeve success??? EmptyFri 12 Oct 2012, 12:30 am

I was diagnosed with PCOS in 2000 after battling with many of the symptoms for years. I had my sleeve June 2011 and lost 68kg in 10 months. Have been maintaining successfully since then and waiting for my circumferential body lift booked for January. I still have some facial hair and irregular periods at times but as time passes even these seem more regular. Go for it, I don't think PCOS should stop your progress if you are prepared to put in the hard work. Good Luck.
Back to top Go down
nutter

Female
Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2011-03-04

PostSubject: Re: Severe PCOS and sleeve success???   Severe PCOS and sleeve success??? EmptyWed 10 Oct 2012, 12:41 pm

Hi Ash

I am exactly three months out. I to have severe PCOS, with all the uglies that go with it.

To date I have lost 26kg, i must say I have had several stalls, losing nothing then dropping 2kg rapidly.

I don't eat much carbs, and struggle to get in the daily protein requirement. But i feel great, definelty NO regrets. I love my sleeve its the best thing I have done for myself.

Whether weightloss is slow due to PCOS should not stop you pursuing surgery, as you'll find even the tiniest loss helps improve PCOS. Goodluck with your decision.
Back to top Go down
Tracey_379
Part of the furniture
Tracey_379

Female

PostSubject: Re: Severe PCOS and sleeve success???   Severe PCOS and sleeve success??? EmptyTue 09 Oct 2012, 7:18 am

Hi ash

Can't give advice as I am a newbie as well but i have similar concerns and questions as you. I would also love some advice based on others experiences.
Back to top Go down
ashdac
ashdac

Female
Number of posts : 140
Registration date : 2012-09-17

PostSubject: Severe PCOS and sleeve success???   Severe PCOS and sleeve success??? EmptyMon 08 Oct 2012, 6:49 am

Hi i was hoping for some long term sleevers advice and knowledge

I have a big concern about not losing weight fast enough or enough weight at all.

I was wanting to know a vague weightloss outlook for someone with PCOS after the surgery? eg. did it take a while to drop off? did it happen quickly, did you have to do alot more exercise to shift the weight? etc.

Any information will help as i have been looking into it and found most say that the weight loss is slower and i just want to confirm or deny that with peoples personal experience.

I think i am realistic and know this isnt a quick fix but i really want to start TTC again in 12mths as the last 4yrs have been torture TTC and being told this surgery is my only option as i am now to fat for IVF as the new guidelines say my BMI is too high.

THanks in advance
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Severe PCOS and sleeve success???   Severe PCOS and sleeve success??? Empty

Back to top Go down

Severe PCOS and sleeve success???
Page 1 of 1