Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Beachesbabe
Beachesbabe

Female
Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2014-07-23

Plantar Fasciitis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plantar Fasciitis   Plantar Fasciitis EmptySat 08 Nov 2014, 9:30 pm

There is another alternative to surgery, I went to a podiatry clinic in Manly who treat PF and bunions using Foot Mobilisation Therapy, and it worked. The guys there are lovely, don't tell you all would be better if you lost weight or wore sensible shoes. I don't think there are many places offering this but it is worth looking at.
The place i went to is called Alternative Foot Solutions, their website is www.alternativefootsolutions.com.au
Cheers
Gab
Back to top Go down
sassyjane
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 557
Registration date : 2012-11-04

Plantar Fasciitis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plantar Fasciitis   Plantar Fasciitis EmptySun 21 Sep 2014, 3:05 pm

Hi, yes it was even a relief after having the surgery for PF but healing tends to be slower if you are carrying the extra kilos. Since I have had the sleeve done which is two years this December I have not had any more PF ,the only thing that reminds me of the awful pain from PF is the dreadful injections into the heel,I never want to go there again,if it ever happens again I will go directly to surgery for it and go past jail lol. I hope you have improvement afterwards.
Back to top Go down
sleeverella
sleeverella

Female
Number of posts : 175
Registration date : 2014-08-25

Plantar Fasciitis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plantar Fasciitis   Plantar Fasciitis EmptySun 21 Sep 2014, 10:05 am

Thanks Sassyjane.  So glad to hear that it will go away forever along with the kilos.  Cannot wait to do what I want without worrying about the pain coming back.  Thanks so much for replying.
Back to top Go down
sassyjane
Part of the furniture

Female

Plantar Fasciitis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plantar Fasciitis   Plantar Fasciitis EmptySun 21 Sep 2014, 6:33 am

Hi Sleeverella, yes I had done a post also quite some time ago re PF, I suffered it badly for years and I think it was triggered by wearing steel cap boots,like you I had tried everything even right down to laser treatment,nothing worked. I endured two of the most painful injections into my heels,we wont go there but I swore and almost told them where to stick that needle.Next was the surgery which is generally a last resort,the surgery went well but it does take time and yes if you are carrying extra weight it takes longer.So this in turn made me get the sleeve done to get the weight off my feet,once the weight went the foot recovery was amazing,so if you battle for a long time with it, it is a great help to have the sleeve and reduce your weight,it is a big factor in getting rid of PF. I can now walk every where and I don't have a trace of PF any more,the pain from PF is most debilitating and the dam pain starts as soon as your feet hit the ground getting out of bed in the morning.All the best,Sassy.
Back to top Go down
sleeverella
sleeverella

Female
Number of posts : 175
Registration date : 2014-08-25

Plantar Fasciitis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plantar Fasciitis   Plantar Fasciitis EmptySun 21 Sep 2014, 5:49 am

This thread is a bit old now but I thought I'd add my experience with this evil condition.  It's a long post coz it was a long process and I'm not 100% sure which method worked but something/s did.  And if I can help anybody that would be awesome because PF is so debilitating and the pain can be both acute & relentless.  

History
Mine started a couple of years ago about a week after I started daily walks on footpaths.  (I'd also moved in to new house with hard tiled floors at around the same time.)  First 1 foot then days later, the other.  It stared mildly enough but within a couple of months it was severe and all the time and I could barely stand it.

I can only describe it as evil and very scary as you quickly realise that you just can't walk as the pain is too great.  Needing to go to toilet in the morning sent me made me cry with pain.  At night time the throbbing would be so bad that I would wake all through the night.  I would do almost anything to avoid walking or standing.  This of course meant I put on even more weight which just made it worse. 

Things I tried that didn't work at all
Resting (grrr)
Calf stretches
4 different types of joggers
Heel cups
Orthotics
Soft soled shoes
Various types of inserts
Icing
Voltaren Gel
Voltaren Tabs
Physio
Acupuncture
Strapping

I did these things alone and in combination.  No change whatsoever.  I was now only walking when I had to and I was hobbling not walking.

Relief at last (temporarily)
I then had xrays.  Yeah pretty massive heel spurs but they are not the problem I was told.  I went for cortisone injections.  I didn't find the pain of these anywhere near as bad as the PF. 

Wow.  For a few weeks I was normal again.  No Pain.  OMG I was just on cloud 9.  Kept up physio, stretching etc

Then over a day it started again.  Just as chronic as before.  I was beyond miserable.

What finally worked?
I came across "shockwave therapy" on google somewhere.  Never heard of it before.  There was only 1 place in WA that has the machine.  No $$ coverage.  About 1k to do.  I'd have sold my own mother at this point!!!  It was about 3 visits I think so I began this treatment.

The clinic explained that once the condition was as chronic as mine, the brain pretty much says "Enough already.  Tried to fix it but couldn't", and it doesn't bother sending help to the area anymore.  The shockwave therapy basically re-injures the area and the brain wakes up to the area again and sends help.  They said it should be a lot better/healed in a couple of months, but that it doesn't always work. 

At around the same time as starting Shockwave Therapy:

I'm sure that the tiled floor was a large part of my problem too. I worked from home and was on it all the time.  So I also purchased those big spongey click together mats that kids use.  I had a network of mats the whole way around the tiles in my house from the front door.  I always stayed on the path. 

It did look ridiculous but I was desperate.  Oh Yeah, if anyone tries this NOTE: SLIPPERY WHEN WET like if you spill a bit of water and it gets underneath.  You get a "floating floor" literally.

The pain of walking on the mats was way less than on the tiles pretty much from day 1 of having them.   Then I'd think I was getting a lot better but as soon as I left the house the pain was there.  I kept on googling.

Then I found a thread somewhere about shoes.  There were a lot of people who swore by Birkenstocks or Fit Flops.  So off I go to check them out.  $200+ for Fit Flop shoes that I thought were pretty ugly.  They are basically clogs that your grandad might wear as slippers.  They are pretty much flat BUT the bottoms are slightly wedged which shifts your weight forward a bit and most importantly (IMO) they have a curved heelThis means that the painful part of your heel does not strike the ground when you take a step.  I felt less pain immediately in the shop as I stepped.

I wore those shoes EVERYWHERE I went no matter what.  I still had the mats inside.  My feet improved pretty rapidly and within a month or so the pain stopped completely.  I took away the mats but could feel some pain returning so kept the Fit Flops on inside the house on the tiles as well.

Between the shockwave therapy, the floor mats & the shoes, the pain had finally ended.  I wasn't sure if it was 1 or a combination but I was so happy.

Since then, I got more Fit Flops and they are all I have worn.  Every now and then I will wear other shoes for an occasion but not for long.  I never went back to the walking, I was too scared.

Fast forward to a couple of months ago when I decided to go back to aerobic classes.  First class no problem.  By 10 minutes into the 2nd class I knew the pain would be chronic again in no time.  I also knew I would not get through another class.

I just wanted to screeeeeeeaaaaaam!!!

Instead I found a pair of sneaker type shoes that have a similar curved heel and weight forward angle.  This brand was MBT.  I wore these to classes.  I could still feel some pain during the class but it was bearable and it would stop shortly after the class.  NOTE: STILL WEARING FIT FLOPS EVERYWHERE BUT THE GYM.  So all good for now at least.

I'm hoping that after my surgery and weight reduction the problem never comes back.  It sure would be nice to put some cute shoes on again.  But if I can't then I have my life saver "grandad" shoes.

I sincerely hope everyone with this condition finds a way to control it or kick it to the kerb.  It totally sux!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
sassyjane
Part of the furniture

Female

Plantar Fasciitis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plantar Fasciitis   Plantar Fasciitis EmptyWed 02 Oct 2013, 7:36 am

Hi swayback, yes PF can be very elusive,as it can just come and go then vanish as quick as it started,i had had enough as it was tending to stay round too long for my liking and being unable to walk far was not for me.The injections are dreadfully painful and i am glad i dont have to go up that road again,the last one they did via a ultra scan view and that one was the worst which was just before Christmas before last,the pain was so bad i know i can remember saying the the guy merry friggin christmas to you too and if it is not over soon just take the bloody thing out as i cant handle it any more,he was lucky as it was almost at the end. I think that was funny with your shoes,guess you save heaps on shoes looking on the bright side.Take care.
Back to top Go down

Plantar Fasciitis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plantar Fasciitis   Plantar Fasciitis EmptyWed 02 Oct 2013, 12:08 am

I used to get PF too. My GP injected steroids and after a few weeks it got better.

Whenever it came back....more needles.

Now I don't get it at all......bit of a joke there......I hardly walk, I'm mostly in a wheelchair.

Had a joke with the physios receptionist the other day. She said she liked my shoes very much. I told her they were very old.....I never wear them out.
Back to top Go down
sassyjane
Part of the furniture

Female

Plantar Fasciitis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plantar Fasciitis   Plantar Fasciitis EmptyTue 01 Oct 2013, 11:18 am

Hi DeeEm, i had tried the laser therapy,acupuncture,taping, inserts etc and nothing worked. I know very well the pain you are talking about by just wanting to crawl as it is so bad,yes the more you are on your feet you just suffer more at the end of the day. Losing that weight with the sleeve has been the best thing i have done as it was the final step to get my foot to heal after the PF surgery. I am going to Bali for a month in February so will be getting some very good walk shoes while i am there. Like you i dont like close in shoes very much,the only ones i do wear at times are my very good joggers,during hot days i tend to wear the smooth massuer sandals,so i hope to get some good ones in Bali,i used to buy the good Neckermann walk sandals as they are just so comfortable so i hope i can find some again. Now at least i can do 6 ks a day of walking which is a normal day for me ,or the 10000 steps as i wear a tracker all the time to keep tabs.From years of pain and suffering with PF it is just so good to be free of it with the help of the weight loss with the sleeve.
Back to top Go down
DeeEm
DeeEm

Female
Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2013-07-25

Plantar Fasciitis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plantar Fasciitis   Plantar Fasciitis EmptyTue 01 Oct 2013, 8:52 am

I've had PF in both feet since Feb. Actually, I initially only had pain in the right foot but I soon had it in both feet after a couple of months.
It got pretty bad - to the point where I'd barely be able to walk at the end of the day. I even resorted to crawling around the house one night because it was just too painful to be on my feet.
I went to the GP about it and was given a referral for laser therapy but we were in the process of moving from Victoria to WA so I couldn't commit to the appointment schedule. 
It's not as bad as it used to be but I think it's because I've ditched ALL of my flat shoes (ballet flats are the devil), I ice my feet after a big day of walking/exercise, I have 2 pairs of good runners and alternate between them, I bought a pair of orthotic thongs for when I was in Bali (since wearing full shoes was simply not an option for me - way too hot!). While I was in Bali, I also bought a pair of those sandals that have the massagey-prongy things on the sole? Real technical description there! haha. Still, they were great! I wear them around the house when I get up in the morning so that my feet get a massage as I wander around. 
I actually find that higher heels are my friend! I have some wedge boots and a couple of other medium-height heeled boots that were more comfortable to walk around in than my flat shoes!
Recently I've been doing some big walks with my hubby (between 5-6kms in an hour or so). My feet don't like it once I stop and rest but I just ice them, try to rest when I can and give them a massage from time to time. 
I've tried inserts and I find they slip around and are just annoying.
I haven't tried a night splint (I always have better things to spend my money on) and I'm trying to avoid injections. 
I'm more than certain I have PF because my feet are just sick and tired of carrying my weight.
It's good to hear that people have had some relief as they lose weight after the sleeve. For me, that would be fantastic! I am still hoping to lose a few kgs on my own in the mean time (still waiting for my first appointment) so I hope that helps too. I plan on buying more orthotic shoes once I can afford them (darn things aren't cheap!).
Back to top Go down
sassyjane
Part of the furniture

Female

Plantar Fasciitis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plantar Fasciitis   Plantar Fasciitis EmptySat 18 May 2013, 11:59 am

Hi,yes I am sure with the weight going soon it will ease up,I am almost pain free in the feet now,something I have not been like for years and I really still can't believe it,so don't give up hope.i am glad at least the rapigel is giving you a little easing or soothing any way.take care .
Back to top Go down
GKEL81

Female
Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2013-02-24

Plantar Fasciitis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plantar Fasciitis   Plantar Fasciitis EmptySat 18 May 2013, 11:50 am

The rapigel is very soothing. When I have all my stupid medication to ease the pain and I use the rapigel I am almost completely pain free.
Each morning I wake up praying that today the pain is gone. By the evening I am back wincing in pain. The frustration is on par with the pain.
Once I start losing weight post surgery I have a good feeling the pain will ease (I live in hope)
Thanks for checking in. Plantar Fasciitis 65317
Back to top Go down
sassyjane
Part of the furniture

Female

Plantar Fasciitis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plantar Fasciitis   Plantar Fasciitis EmptyWed 15 May 2013, 5:38 am

hi GKEL81 just wondering how you are going with the Rapigel ? is it giving you any relief yet ? There is nothing worse than chronic foot pain when you need to be on them alot,i have well and truly travelled than one. It really takes it out of you with dreadful pain in your feet as it makes your entire self feel like shit and so tired.Keep well and i hope you are getting some relief.
Back to top Go down
sassyjane
Part of the furniture

Female

Plantar Fasciitis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plantar Fasciitis   Plantar Fasciitis EmptyWed 08 May 2013, 9:24 am

Hi glad you have the cream to try,yes it feels odd when first put on then it starts to feel really good. If you have fractures though i dont think it will help much with pain caused by them,it is more a a muscular cream but it is well worth giving it a go,my partner uses it often for his knee which he had surgery on last year.I had an actual heel spur which the surgeon removed a little of,they are so painful to walk on and it is best to have surgery if you have one of those. I can well imagine the pain relief you have been taking as i have been up that road,you just dont want to put your feet on the ground in the mornings when you first get up.I always said to my partner that i wish someone could just invent air to walk on lol.Keep trying the raigel any way and see how you go,at least it can be used for all other muscle pains etc.
Back to top Go down
GKEL81

Female

Plantar Fasciitis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plantar Fasciitis   Plantar Fasciitis EmptyWed 08 May 2013, 9:16 am

The xrays I had recently didn't show any heel spur but did show a healed stress fracture in the second toe.
The cream arrived today and is burning my foot, but a good burn, today has been pure agony, like having a knife in my foot.
If I told you the pain relief I've had you'd keel over...sooo very tired of this pain.
Back to top Go down
sassyjane
Part of the furniture

Female

Plantar Fasciitis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plantar Fasciitis   Plantar Fasciitis EmptyTue 07 May 2013, 11:24 am

Hi, wow you are having the works done,i hope they find out what this all is for you,even once you find out it alone can be a relief,if it is a muscular thing i am sure that cream will help,it's great stuff. Do any xrays or ultra sounds show a heel spur on your underside of your foot ? I will be thinking of you and i hope things start to work and look better for you. Take care.
Back to top Go down
GKEL81

Female

Plantar Fasciitis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plantar Fasciitis   Plantar Fasciitis EmptyTue 07 May 2013, 11:05 am

I did discuss the sleeve with my rhumatologist but he didn't say much.
Maybe he wants to try and get a head start now and hope that with weight loss I won't need any medication, at this stage I am still getting tests done, MRI, X-Ray, huge lots of blood tests, there are about 40 different things written on the test referral as he needs to double check that I don't have lupus or some other autoimmune disease as I did have markers for that in a blood test I had back in 2011, so still baby steps.
Acupuncture helped but was only temporary and I bought a pair of proper orthodic house thongs with full support but still I live in pain waiting for the day I wake up and can walk properly...ahh the joys ;)
Thanks sassyjane, pray for me this cream helps
Back to top Go down
sassyjane
Part of the furniture

Female

Plantar Fasciitis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plantar Fasciitis   Plantar Fasciitis EmptyMon 06 May 2013, 9:18 am

Hi, do you know if you have a heel spur along with the PF ? as most tend to if they suffer the PF,it forms after the stretching of the muscle under the foot,as i said if it is there it is bone and to ease the pain more it needs to be removed.I hope the arthritis meds work for you as there is just nothing worse not being able to walk around easily. Are the meds for arthritis safe for a sleeve stomach ? i know you cant take the nsaids or anti inflam meds any more. I hope the gel helps you,at least if nothing else it will help your arthritis.Take care
Back to top Go down
GKEL81

Female

Plantar Fasciitis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plantar Fasciitis   Plantar Fasciitis EmptyMon 06 May 2013, 9:08 am

Will do sassyjane, Ill be finding you to give you a massive hug if this cream helps ;)

The PF has now turned into arthritis. I suspect it was arthritis all along, but the pain I described was PF pain at first to my GP. My amazing rhumatologist has since confirmed what I have been saying for years and it is psoriatic inflammatory arthritis.

Now onto arthritis drugs! Please god I hope they help.
Back to top Go down
sassyjane
Part of the furniture

Female

Plantar Fasciitis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plantar Fasciitis   Plantar Fasciitis EmptyMon 06 May 2013, 5:13 am

Hi, just needed to mention if you have had xrays or ultrasound images done on your foot and if they show a small bony part under the heel called a heel spur,all the pain killers and creams in the world will not get rid of the pain from that as it is bone.The very last injection i had into my heel was beyond excrutiating in the pain but i had to have it for my surgeon,this determines if the pain is muscular or the bone itself,if it is muscular the injection usually does the job,mine turned out to be the heel spur any way,hence having to have the surgery as he took a tiny piece off the end of the heel spur,shit it was a relief not to walk on that any more after i had healed up and lost weight. Surgery is usually a very last option if you have tried every thing else,but some may be lucky with just a shift in their weight and it may ease.
Back to top Go down
sassyjane
Part of the furniture

Female

Plantar Fasciitis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plantar Fasciitis   Plantar Fasciitis EmptySun 05 May 2013, 9:57 am

Hi, if you can persevere with the acupuncture do keep at it,i think i recall one having to go a bit more often at the start and then i just kept it up once a fortnight.I hope the Rapigel also helps,you can use it for any muscle strain etc. Once on it is also very soothing.I do feel for you as i have been up that dreadful painful road of PF,many look at you and dont even know what you are talking about,if they had the pain and suffering and not being able to walk they would surely learn about it real fast. Take care.let me know how you go with the Rapigel.
Back to top Go down
GKEL81

Female

Plantar Fasciitis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plantar Fasciitis   Plantar Fasciitis EmptySun 05 May 2013, 9:48 am

Thanks sassyjane, I bought the cream you suggested online on Friday. Just waiting for it to arrive now.
I will try anything to help, the pain, as you know, if like living in hell.

I tried acupuncture yesterday and got amazing relief, but only temporary and by the morning I was back to hobbling around, popping pills and trying to get on with life.
Back to top Go down
sassyjane
Part of the furniture

Female

Plantar Fasciitis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plantar Fasciitis   Plantar Fasciitis EmptyWed 01 May 2013, 12:20 pm

Hi, i ended up having surgery for my PF after suffering it for years and having tried about everything known to man. If you have had the sleeve done you cannot take anti inflams any more and it is not recommended.I use another gel for other sore and inflamed muscle areas and my partner uses is after training and it is even recommended by Physios,it is called RAPIGEL and you dont get it a Pharmacy but you have to go to a vet type place or where they sell horsey products etc,it is a muscle and joint releiving gel,our horse/farm and stock place here sell more of it for humans than they do for animals.It is about $19.00 for a 250 gram jar and it last a long time.You can give that a try which is a better option than the pills,have you tried foot massage or acupucture yet ? just because alot of these treatments did not work for me does not mean that they wont for any one esle as everyone is different. A jar of Rapigel is very handy to keep in your medicine cabinet,great stuff.
Back to top Go down
GKEL81

Female

Plantar Fasciitis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plantar Fasciitis   Plantar Fasciitis EmptyTue 30 Apr 2013, 11:27 am

What pain relief has everyone tried?
Did you find a particular combination worked better?
I too have tried everything but was wondering if a pill helped for pain relief?
Back to top Go down
sassyjane
Part of the furniture

Female

Plantar Fasciitis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plantar Fasciitis   Plantar Fasciitis EmptyMon 15 Apr 2013, 9:16 am

Hi,feelinfab. My surgery to the foot was the last resort as i had tried laser,strapping,taping,inserts,hot and cold,creams,acupuncture,physio and the list goes on.The worst pain EVER was the two cortisone injections into the heel,OMG hopefully now i wont have to have them again,i would not wish them on my worst enemy. Surgery is usually a last resort when all elese has failed which it had with me,no guarantees but i could hardly walk any way so i had nothing to lose.Brilliant now as i can walk normally,until i had the sleeve done and lost the weight i was starting to doubt the foot surgery's success but it has turned out well.Combining the two,the foot surgery and the sleeve has done wonders for me.Not an easy road to travel when you need to be on your feet for most of the day.
Back to top Go down
feelinfab

Female
Number of posts : 95
Registration date : 2013-01-27

Plantar Fasciitis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plantar Fasciitis   Plantar Fasciitis EmptyMon 15 Apr 2013, 9:06 am

I've had severe PF a few times over the years the thing that worked the best was acupuncture - yep you're right it REALLY hurt the 1st time but fixed it completely after only 3 treatments.
Years ago I did have a super huge cortisone injection under GA and that worked too but the acupuncture worked just as well and less invasive and cheaper!
Have also done the splints, physio, heat, ice, exercises etc etc all with minimal affect
Hope that helps someone
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Plantar Fasciitis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plantar Fasciitis   Plantar Fasciitis Empty

Back to top Go down

Plantar Fasciitis
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: Dietitians, Dieting, Exercising and more :: Diet, Exercise and more :: Other Health Issues-
Jump to: