Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Janette

Female
Number of posts : 4341
Registration date : 2009-09-13

Severe Stomach pain after taking pain killers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Severe Stomach pain after taking pain killers   Severe Stomach pain after taking pain killers EmptyMon 13 Sep 2010, 12:46 pm

newlife wrote:
Just my two cents worth. Personally I never had a problem with ibuprofein or codein prior to surgery, but recently took some nurofen plus (ie with codeine) on an empty stomach and boy did I pay the price, pain, sweating, nausea, light headed etc. All the side effects listed on the side of the packet if taken on an empty stomach ie can cause an adverse reaction. Tip, don't take ibuprofen+codeine on an empty stomach.

Same with me, no probs before surgery, but after I took Panadeine Extra on an empty stomach and also had the pain, sweating, nausea, etc etc. Spoke to my bariatic nurse about it, said never take them on an empty stomach, always with food. I just stick to Panadol now, does the job, and I rarely need pain meds now anyway.
Back to top Go down
Peazles
Part of the furniture
Peazles

Female
Number of posts : 1011
Registration date : 2010-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Severe Stomach pain after taking pain killers   Severe Stomach pain after taking pain killers EmptyMon 13 Sep 2010, 11:01 am

I can take ibuprofein on a full tum (and I'm pre-sleeve) and get the most excrutiating pain. It's very, very similar to gall stone pain. I avoid it completely.
Back to top Go down
newlife
Part of the furniture
newlife

Female
Number of posts : 1020
Registration date : 2008-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Severe Stomach pain after taking pain killers   Severe Stomach pain after taking pain killers EmptyMon 13 Sep 2010, 3:38 am

Just my two cents worth. Personally I never had a problem with ibuprofein or codein prior to surgery, but recently took some nurofen plus (ie with codeine) on an empty stomach and boy did I pay the price, pain, sweating, nausea, light headed etc. All the side effects listed on the side of the packet if taken on an empty stomach ie can cause an adverse reaction. Tip, don't take ibuprofen+codeine on an empty stomach.
Back to top Go down
ssjad
Part of the furniture
ssjad

Female
Number of posts : 970
Registration date : 2010-03-21

PostSubject: Re: Severe Stomach pain after taking pain killers   Severe Stomach pain after taking pain killers EmptySun 12 Sep 2010, 1:40 am

Hmm... no need for this thread to get heated. Different opinions, that's all.
I do have to say though (and I've done a few years of pharmacology at uni) that both have valid points. I've never heard of codeine causing swelling of the stomach. Unless the person is having an allergic reaction. However, codeine and ibuprofen can both cause an upset stomach. If it's bothering the person who's taking the tablets, they should stop and try a different type of drug such as paracetamol.

Simple fix!
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female
Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Severe Stomach pain after taking pain killers   Severe Stomach pain after taking pain killers EmptySat 11 Sep 2010, 2:35 pm

it simply doesnt cause swelling. iy is not under any circumstances a side effect of codine. If you experence swelling when taking a product in it the ONLY thing it can be is an alergic reaction with an extremely rare side effect. the side effect being that of the allergy. you wouldnt find anybody else with it. So saying that codeine causes swelling of the stomach would be likke telling people a side effect of the contraceptive pill is getting pregnant when taken correctly.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
kaysa9
kaysa9

Female
Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2010-04-25

PostSubject: Re: Severe Stomach pain after taking pain killers   Severe Stomach pain after taking pain killers EmptySat 11 Sep 2010, 11:18 am

I disagree strongly with the codeine not causing swelling. I have taken codeine for some time now and I can hardly fit in food, even more difficult to drink. The days when I don't take codeine, my stomach has normal room for food and drink. I am not saying this is the case for everyone but the lady starting this post gets severe pain from ibuprofen and codeine, so clearly this is bad for her stomach no matter how any surgeon differs in advice about medication and what you research yourself on the Internet. Severe pain is a sign from an unhappy stomach and you should listen to your stomach when it talks.

Kaysa
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female
Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Severe Stomach pain after taking pain killers   Severe Stomach pain after taking pain killers EmptySat 11 Sep 2010, 9:36 am

Codeine doesnt cause the stomach to swell, nor is there any problem taking any drugs after the sleeve. these asprin type problems are a problem if you have a lapband and some lazy doctors just give you the same medication rules for the band as for a sleeve. Both my husband and I researched fully this with more than one medical opinion before having the surgery. I take large amounts of codien every day, he takes large amounts of nurofen every day.

Taking ANY nurofen based product on an empty stomach is never a good idea. It can cause shocking stomach cramps and stabing pains. This did for me before and since surgery.

I do think you notice these type pains more after surgery. I have the same reaction to coffee, love the stuff but oh does it ever hate me. Since surgery it feels 10 x worse. But I certainly wouldnt go around saying you cant drink coffee after a sleeve it would be plain silly.

I know people think their own surgeon is perfect and god like so every thing that comes out of their mouth must be perfect. But the reality is a lot just flollow band rules they are cutters not long term carers. I am so not saying go against your surgeon I am saying do NOT just take what they say as right do your own research get second opinions third if what they say seems odd or conflicts with other information. Take the information you find back to them and talk to them about what you have found. It is the ONLY way they will change from these practises of handing out band rules to sleeve patients. Same goes for your dietcian.

taking meds with a tub of yoghurt is a good idea or a glass of milk unless the meds state NO milk like some antibiodics.

applesauce

Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female
Number of posts : 7036
Registration date : 2008-06-02

PostSubject: Re: Severe Stomach pain after taking pain killers   Severe Stomach pain after taking pain killers EmptySat 11 Sep 2010, 8:52 am

i have not been told of any differences in tolerance to medications since the sleeve and have had no problems other than difficulty with volume of pills if taking a lot at the same time
Back to top Go down
ssjad
Part of the furniture
ssjad

Female
Number of posts : 970
Registration date : 2010-03-21

PostSubject: Re: Severe Stomach pain after taking pain killers   Severe Stomach pain after taking pain killers EmptySat 11 Sep 2010, 6:20 am

Hi Mirka. I've never been able to have tablets on an empty stomach, or with just fluids. Try a tablet at the end of your meal.
The advice re NSAIDS is up to different doctors... I'm still fine to take them.
Back to top Go down
kaysa9
kaysa9

Female
Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2010-04-25

PostSubject: Re: Severe Stomach pain after taking pain killers   Severe Stomach pain after taking pain killers EmptySat 11 Sep 2010, 5:15 am

Hi Mirka

You are not supposed to have Ibuprofen or any NSAID medication after a sleeve as it is to hard on the stomach and may cause ulcers.

In addition Codeine also makes the stomach swell. I know because I eat codeine-tylenol for a back problem and it is hard to fit in food and drinks right after medication because of the swelling. The combination of Codeine/Ibuprofene therefore sounds like trouble to me!

Perhaps you could take the medication as suppositories?

Kaysa

Back to top Go down
mirka

Female
Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2010-08-27

PostSubject: Severe Stomach pain after taking pain killers   Severe Stomach pain after taking pain killers EmptySat 11 Sep 2010, 5:03 am

Hi All

I had my sleeving about 4.5months ago. I used to take mersyndol or nurofen plus to deal with migranes, headaches and period pain. After suffering a severe migrane I took some nurofen plus on a half empty stomach and the pain was unbearable. It took my breath away, caused sweating and the pain would come on strong and then dull down and then straight away come on strong again. I have had this a couple of times and find now that if the pain comes on then I just scull water or cordial nothing fizzy. The doctor says I could either have an intolerance to codeine as my stomach is smaller now or I may possibly have an ulcer. Just wondering if anyone else has gone through this after the op? Look forward to hearing from you guys

Mirka
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Severe Stomach pain after taking pain killers   Severe Stomach pain after taking pain killers Empty

Back to top Go down

Severe Stomach pain after taking pain killers
Page 1 of 1