AuthorMessage
TheCloudPainter
Part of the furniture
TheCloudPainter

Female
Number of posts : 770
Registration date : 2009-01-15

I MADE IT THROUGH THE FIRST WEEK Empty
PostSubject: Re: I MADE IT THROUGH THE FIRST WEEK   I MADE IT THROUGH THE FIRST WEEK EmptyMon 19 Jan 2009, 5:23 am

horseapplerancher,
I, too ranch the sweet horseapples... LOL!

I was sleeved on the 13th of January... it's now the 18th of January and I'm feeling great.
Still a lil sore, but not bad at all. No meds needed for that.
Just ITCHY right now...
*scratch scratch scratch*
The whole deal was not that painful for me...
I was fortunate NOT to have the gas bubbles or pains.
I was up walking the same day, showered the next morning and have been walking ever since... *S*

Good luck!
TheCloudPainter
painting

I MADE IT THROUGH THE FIRST WEEK Weight
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/thecloudpainter
loulou
loulou

Female
Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2008-10-20

PostSubject: Re: I MADE IT THROUGH THE FIRST WEEK   I MADE IT THROUGH THE FIRST WEEK EmptySat 27 Dec 2008, 9:03 am

Hi Horseapplerancher

Six weeks will go in no time and the operation will be completed. I was very fortunate not to experience any pain and as I said you may be the same. I'm 2 weeks post operation and truly feel like a new person My body has shrunk buy 10 kgs and my energy levels are through the roof. Each day I'm ready to do something big and am finding it hard to stay home......its' as though an inner person has been unleashed! I've met some lovely people on this site and am planning to meeting with a pre-op lady in my city. I feel association helps us all. When fear creeps in I suggest you jump on the site and start writing as this really helped me through.

Regards Lou
Back to top Go down
purplehaze
purplehaze

Female
Number of posts : 117
Registration date : 2008-10-14

PostSubject: Re: I MADE IT THROUGH THE FIRST WEEK   I MADE IT THROUGH THE FIRST WEEK EmptySat 27 Dec 2008, 5:53 am

Hi horseapplerrancher, I came home with Endone (morphine based), panadeine forte and 4 very expensive nausea tabs. Only used a few of the Endone, still have a panadeine forte occasionally though was on these for various things prior to surgery.
Make sure you ask for what you need. I eased up on the Endone as they made me too sleepy and tend to only take Pan forte at night.
Good luck.
Back to top Go down
horseapplerancher
horseapplerancher

Female
Number of posts : 140
Registration date : 2008-11-20

PostSubject: PAIN   I MADE IT THROUGH THE FIRST WEEK EmptyFri 26 Dec 2008, 11:58 pm

Thanks LOULOU, I started a diet today similar to optifast,it is called medifast. I am having a tough time. I think it is because I know deep down i'm am not on the wire yet as far as time goes. I still have almost 6 weeks. I am hopeful that I can lose a least 25 lbs by my serg date on feb 12th. Thanks I really want to speed through the pain as you can tell.thanks for all your advice everyone.
I MADE IT THROUGH THE FIRST WEEK 749870
Back to top Go down
loulou
loulou

Female
Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2008-10-20

PostSubject: meds post op   I MADE IT THROUGH THE FIRST WEEK EmptyFri 26 Dec 2008, 7:24 am

Hi horseapplerrancher

I was sleeved on the 16/12/2008 and only required panadol for 2 days. In my case I didn't really have and pain as this is taken care of with the IV in the first couple of days in hospital. I took panadol for minor discomfort with wind. All operations seem to vary somewhat and you may just coast through. Best of luck and Happy New Year!

Regards
Lou Lou
Back to top Go down
horseapplerancher
horseapplerancher

Female

PostSubject: mydear   I MADE IT THROUGH THE FIRST WEEK EmptyThu 25 Dec 2008, 7:49 am

Thank you for all your support... I have faith that all of us will someday get out of the car. I loved how that was put under your ticker. When I thought about it,I felt some what relieved. I will no longer be the fat unhealthy socker mom who wont even go to my daughters games. these days I live in a fog, I need to see the sun. I am following behind closely. I will get sleeved on Feb 12,2009 God willing at 11:00 a.m. thanks again
Back to top Go down
mydear
mydear

Female
Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2008-12-03

PostSubject: pain killers   I MADE IT THROUGH THE FIRST WEEK EmptyWed 24 Dec 2008, 12:03 pm

hi horseapplerancher

most of my pain was while i was in the hospital those 3 days. and that was managed by the IV pump, i was sent home with acetaminophen and oxycodone 325/5 mgs. that made me very sleepy, and took the edge off any discomfort that i was having.

today 9 days out. i don't have anymore of that medicine left and i dont need it anymore. all my little openings from the LAP surgery are healing. i'm a little sore at my belly button where i think they inserted things & the camera and removed part of my stomach. i can get up and sit down on my own. i can roll over from back to front on my bed. i'm sleeping on my side now. i can sit up a little longer at my computer, but do much better sitting on the side of my bed.

as you know everyone is different. and i'm the lion from the Wizard of Oz. it's not as bad as you think, Mydear

May God comfort you in your concerns and give you inner peace
Back to top Go down
horseapplerancher
horseapplerancher

Female

PostSubject: Re: I MADE IT THROUGH THE FIRST WEEK   I MADE IT THROUGH THE FIRST WEEK EmptyWed 24 Dec 2008, 7:10 am

Hi everyone what kind of meds are typically sent home with sleeved patients? I just want to know how much pain I will be in roughly. I think I am in denial about this process. I understand somewhat the mental part of it, I also understand the dietary requirements my doc has set. But I have never asked about the after math. please inform me. I MADE IT THROUGH THE FIRST WEEK 692790
Back to top Go down
KahunaLou
KahunaLou

Male
Number of posts : 139
Registration date : 2008-07-24

PostSubject: Re: I MADE IT THROUGH THE FIRST WEEK   I MADE IT THROUGH THE FIRST WEEK EmptyMon 22 Dec 2008, 9:44 pm

Hi Gail:

That's what we're here for; to help each other out on our journeys. If there is any doubt, please ask. I, personally, have a 4" binder full of the educational material provided by my medical team that I've been sharing (with the proviso that "your mileage may vary" as your team may have other advice and guidance) and quite a number of us have been helping each other out as much as we can. That's what's great about this forum; the compassion and concern we have for each other and the desire for all of us to be successful.

Please let us know what you find out in your packet so we can all compare notes. I MADE IT THROUGH THE FIRST WEEK 63412
Back to top Go down
mydear
mydear

Female

PostSubject: thanks chris & K lou   I MADE IT THROUGH THE FIRST WEEK EmptyMon 22 Dec 2008, 9:39 pm

you might be right. i'm going to read my packet again. but i told you guys i was doing all this while i was high last week :[img]http://sm.
i went to my PCP's office this morning and to the diabetes clinic and from the last time i seen her i've lost 14 lbs.
and they've cut my insulin unit down to half.
thanks so much for helping me with the food plan, mydear
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female
Number of posts : 7036
Registration date : 2008-06-02

PostSubject: Re: I MADE IT THROUGH THE FIRST WEEK   I MADE IT THROUGH THE FIRST WEEK EmptyMon 22 Dec 2008, 7:11 pm

Hi Gail
Like Lou, I'm concerned that you might be rushing things with your baby tummy, as I was on clear fluids for a few days, then full fluids for more than a week, and then on to soft mushy foods for several weeks. It took me quite some time to get to eggs, and then I had trouble at first. Obviously you haven't, since you didn't mention any problems with it, but it might be wise to be a bit careful - you don't want to damage your new baby tummy.
Best wishes
Chris
Back to top Go down
KahunaLou
KahunaLou

Male
Number of posts : 139
Registration date : 2008-07-24

PostSubject: Re: I MADE IT THROUGH THE FIRST WEEK   I MADE IT THROUGH THE FIRST WEEK EmptyMon 22 Dec 2008, 3:04 pm

Gail, I was a bit surprised when I read that you had a 1 jumbo egg salad w/ tsp whole mayo and salt as well as the cottage cheese and cmeatballs and spinach soup.

The instructions my wife and I received was clear liquids for the first 3-4 days after surgery, followed by full liquids (protein shakes, hot cereal, strained soups, non-fat yogurt, etc.) for the next 10-14 days. That's what I followed after my VSG; and like you, I was in the hospital for three days. In my wife's case, who had her RNY surgery on the same day as you, we were instructed to continue clear liquids and protein shake for the first 10 days due to her initial issues.

The egg and soup would be considered to be part of the soft diet which starts on day 15. The mayo contains large amounts of sugar and oils which was deemed forbidden.

I realize that every hospital/surgeon has different instructions, so please clarify that you really can have semi-solid foods only 6 days out of surgery.

I'm just a little concerned that you may be rushing things along.
Back to top Go down
Gail
Part of the furniture
Gail

Female
Number of posts : 600
Registration date : 2008-09-08

PostSubject: Re: I MADE IT THROUGH THE FIRST WEEK   I MADE IT THROUGH THE FIRST WEEK EmptyMon 22 Dec 2008, 12:19 am

From one Gail to another

Sounds like you are doing great after your surgery. Keep up the good work.

I'm counting down the weeks/days till I get my sleeve, just need to get the Christmas festivities out the way first.

Best wishes
Gail
Back to top Go down
mydear
mydear

Female

PostSubject: hi horseapplerancher   I MADE IT THROUGH THE FIRST WEEK EmptySun 21 Dec 2008, 10:19 pm

do you have someone to watch the kids while your in the hosp & at least for the first week. try and get as much help as you can. maybe a friend that will take care of the kids and some ELSE that will help you. i say this because i was so high after surgery i really don't remember one day from the next. but i was making decisions and signing papers, and my 2 year old grand-daughter was here everyday, she only comes for 4 hours everyday, but grandpa had to take care of both of us during that time.

i don't know how long your going to be in the hosp, but i was in for 3 days. i wanted my husband to come and see me everyday. but really in the mornings he was watching the baby and the hosp is very far from where we live. so during my stay other people came to visit me in the hospital. he came to get me to take me home, while the baby's other grandma watched her that day. those first days home i was on meds doing alot of sleeping. so i didn't see much of my grand- daughter those days, but she was in the house. then on friday i started cutting back on my meds and staying up longer and she'd come sit on the bed and watch TV with me, giving grandpa a break before mommy came to pick her up.

i love the saying GET IN, WHERE YOU CAN FIT IN. that way everyone's doing what they can and it's all not on one person.

you can... make your plan work..... if you have help, mydear
Back to top Go down
horseapplerancher
horseapplerancher

Female

PostSubject: WELCOME HOME!!!   I MADE IT THROUGH THE FIRST WEEK EmptySun 21 Dec 2008, 8:28 pm

wow mydear you are really putting it into perspective. I will have my sleeve done on feb 12,2009 I have a 16 month old and a ten year old,along with a hubby who works a lot. I am hopeful that it will work out. I am a student and don't plan on taking more than two weeks off max. Please keep us informed. I MADE IT THROUGH THE FIRST WEEK 618285
Back to top Go down
mydear
mydear

Female

PostSubject: I MADE IT THROUGH THE FIRST WEEK   I MADE IT THROUGH THE FIRST WEEK EmptySun 21 Dec 2008, 7:37 pm

hey all.

WOW this first week was just a blur. most of my waking hours. i was trying to be comfortable. my stomach was sore from surgery, but not really that painfull after i got home. most of my pain was in the hosp. and that was managed by the morphine pump. those 3 days i didn't know if i was coming or going. or if it was night or day.

at home
i've had to crunch & take my meds on my own, get to the bathroom, remember to drink water, start eating some pureed solids, have a bowl movment, check my blood pressure & blood sugar, take my tempt. and keep myself warm. so you really need help.

all you went to do at first is take meds and stay in bed, your owed at least that much, for all you've been through. but you can't. you need to be focused on your plan right from the start. first getting off the drugs. maybe you will need the prescribed dose a day or two when you first get home, but then you begin to feel better everyday. you might be uncomfortable , need help sitting up, getting out of bed, up the stairs, getting in the tub, sitting and rising off the toilet. but that's not pain. so now i've cut my pain pills in half, or at time only taken tylenol 500 mg. the less strong painskillers im on, the more i can focus on working my food plan.

* i've had a 1 jumbo egg salad w/ tsp whole mayo and salt- it passed right through me. i don't know if it was the high fat in the mayo or the size of the egg.
i won't be trying that again for about a month. but i'm not giving up on eggs. a scramble egg is next.

* ive tried designer whey protein w/ skim plus. it ok. tastes fine. but it clumps up in cold milk.- but it got me through those first days home.
* ive tried soy protein, - it's creamy, not clumpy, but not as high in protein.

* i've tried low fat yogart. heavenly..... love it. going to get non fat & low carb and see if it's as good.

today- day 6 post-op i'm having

1/2 can of campbell select soup- meatballs and spinach in chicken broth w/ 1/2 jar stage 1 green beans & seasoning. just the sound of it warms my soul, hope it warms and nutures my body.

later i'll have a protein drink and then some cottage cheese w/ sweetner and stage 1 fruit. i like the sound of that too.....

i'm keeping a bottle of water with me and a pot of tea on the stove

so see i have alot of planning to do and i can't do it drugged up.

this is how i look at it:

after you've had a baby and go home, you're on your own. you have to forget about all your discomforts and put the baby's needs first.

this time i'm the baby.. and i need to take care of my baby tummy.

all God's blessings my friends,

mydear/ Gail

ps:
my goal for week 2

work on my food plan
up my water intake
be up and around during the day
get 6 / 8 hours sleep at night

Last edited by mydear on Sun 21 Dec 2008, 9:40 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I MADE IT THROUGH THE FIRST WEEK   I MADE IT THROUGH THE FIRST WEEK Empty

Back to top Go down

I MADE IT THROUGH THE FIRST WEEK
Page 1 of 1