5 posters
AuthorMessage
Groovy
Groovy

Female
Number of posts : 121
Registration date : 2016-02-12

Telling allied health professionals... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Telling allied health professionals...   Telling allied health professionals... EmptySat 30 Apr 2016, 7:18 am

It's all good, Lisa! Best of luck with your procedure :)
Back to top Go down
Lisa66
Part of the furniture
Lisa66

Female
Number of posts : 613
Registration date : 2014-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Telling allied health professionals...   Telling allied health professionals... EmptyWed 27 Apr 2016, 2:22 pm

Oh and I didn't mean to imply that YOU thought I would lie FTF - just wanted to make it clear to anyone reading this thread that I'm not condoning lying to medical professionals because when you read my original post that might not be so clear.
Back to top Go down
Lisa66
Part of the furniture
Lisa66

Female

PostSubject: Re: Telling allied health professionals...   Telling allied health professionals... EmptyWed 27 Apr 2016, 2:17 pm

My osteo is really lovely so she'd probably be fine too, but if she's not then I'll have to find another one, 'cause it'll piss me off if she comes over all judgey! so I think I'd rather avoid telling her, but who knows? Once I get in there I might just spill the beans!

Good that your chiro has been so good about it. It's nice to have that sort of support. I've been super lucky with my GP - she's SO supportive and encouraging!
Back to top Go down
Fat-to-Fit
Part of the furniture
Fat-to-Fit

Female
Number of posts : 255
Registration date : 2016-01-05

PostSubject: Re: Telling allied health professionals...   Telling allied health professionals... EmptyWed 27 Apr 2016, 1:30 pm

You have to do what you feel comfortable with - I definitely didn't think you'd lie to anyone ! The confidentiality thing is just something that I found reassuring - I was totally worried about my chiro judging , not telling - and, to be honest, that's my concern with my long term GP, but, happily, the chiro has been awesome :-) If you have no pain with osteo treatment, then there probably is no point in telling him/her if you don't feel the need .
Back to top Go down
Lisa66
Part of the furniture
Lisa66

Female

PostSubject: Re: Telling allied health professionals...   Telling allied health professionals... EmptyWed 27 Apr 2016, 12:45 pm

Yep, as I said in my last post I will be filling in the hospital admission form, so will be telling him on that.

To be clear (again) I have never and will never lie to a medical professional.  I guess I wasn't really thinking about the oral surgeon as a surgeon. I was thinking of him as a dentist, and I probably wouldn't think to mention this to my dentist. When I went in to the appointment I had no idea that the procedure would take place in hospital so I was caught unawares. The oral surgeon asked lots of stuff about my medical history but did not ask about previous surgery. I didn't tell him about my gall bladder surgery or my thyroid removal or any of the zillion other surgeries I've had either. When I posted the original question  I was just wondering if if I needed to call and specifically let him know about the sleeve (because I hadn't thought about the hospital admission form at that stage.)

I have a clear understanding of what medical professionals' responsibilities are in terms of confidentiality - that is not my issue.  It's the judgement that I fear, especially from the allied professionals such as osteos. Now that my wounds are healed and my stomach feels normal, I can't really see the point in disclosing something unless it is strictly medically necessary.
Back to top Go down
Fat-to-Fit
Part of the furniture
Fat-to-Fit

Female
Number of posts : 255
Registration date : 2016-01-05

PostSubject: Re: Telling allied health professionals...   Telling allied health professionals... EmptyWed 27 Apr 2016, 12:11 pm

Hi Lisa

I would absolutely tell the oral surgeon , well put Groovy ! I'm a secret sleever (pretty much) as well, but I have no problem telling medical professionals - they are bund by their profession not to disclose any information you give them with anyone else. I told my chiro at my first appointment post op, and he was great, and I also worried that he would not approve, etc. I just wanted to make sure he was aware of it when adjusting me  - I would imagine that's the reason you'd tell the osteo, isn't it ? After a few more appointments he actually said that my body was responding well, and he's never given me a hard time about it. I also know he hasn't said anything, because others (including another chiro) have commented and asked how I'm doing it !! I went to a GP who was not my long term GP  (but who I had seen on a few occasions for low iron & to get duromine!!) for my referral, because I pretty much know that my long term GP would not have referred me for WLS, but the next time I go back to my usual GP, I will tell him, because I think it's important to have it on my file - and again, he can't tell anyone !!! Certainly not wanting to tell you what to do, that's just my line of thinking :-) Oh, & I haven't told my mum or my sister,  nor ever will !
Back to top Go down
Lisa66
Part of the furniture
Lisa66

Female

PostSubject: Re: Telling allied health professionals...   Telling allied health professionals... EmptyWed 27 Apr 2016, 8:59 am

Thanks Groovy, I hadn't thought about that aspect at all. I've looked on the admission forms now and yes, there is a previous surgery section, which I will fill in honestly of course. I hadn't thought about the hospital admission forms when I first posted this question.

Just to be clear to others I'm not advocating being untruthful to medical professionals. I would never lie or be untruthful on an official medical document, and if he'd asked me yesterday about previous surgery I would have told the truth. But when he didn't ask I was thinking that maybe I wouldn't need to say anything because perhaps it wasn't important. But Groovy makes an excellent point about why it is actually important!

I still don't think I'll tell the osteo though, unless anyone can think of a compelling reason why I should!
Back to top Go down
Groovy
Groovy

Female
Number of posts : 121
Registration date : 2016-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Telling allied health professionals...   Telling allied health professionals... EmptyWed 27 Apr 2016, 12:04 am

You absolutely need to tell the oral surgeon, if only in case of something going wrong. If you need an extended period of ventilation they may need to place a nasogastric tube, with obvious implications. Also, there'll want to know about previous anaesthetics. Even though the operation is on your mouth, don't forget it is part of the digestive tract as well and may have implications you haven't thought about.

They are health professionals and are bound by privacy laws and have a duty of care to treat you with the respect you deserve. Don't let the fear of what other people think get in the way of your overall health.
Back to top Go down
Lisa66
Part of the furniture
Lisa66

Female

PostSubject: Re: Telling allied health professionals...   Telling allied health professionals... EmptyTue 26 Apr 2016, 10:26 pm

Thanks for your responses Greenfrog and Gingerchicken. I'm a secret sleever too and my instinct is not to tell. I can't see how the oral surgeon would need to know, because the surgery isn't anywhere near my abdomen, and he didn't ask about surgery (although I will probably have to fess up on the hospital admission form now that I think about it!)

I'll let you know what I decide re the osteo!
Back to top Go down
gingerchicken
Part of the furniture
gingerchicken

Female
Number of posts : 432
Registration date : 2014-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Telling allied health professionals...   Telling allied health professionals... EmptyTue 26 Apr 2016, 3:01 pm

Hi Lisa,
I thinks it's a good topic to raise.

I too have wondered the same thing myself.

I personally want to tell as few people as possible.

I had a pelvic ultrasound recently and needed to tell them I couldn't drink the amount as quickly as they required.... I was reluctant to tell them, but in the end needed to.

I recently also had to tell my obstetrician/gynocologist that I had the sleeve.... (No I'm not pregnant). When I had the sleeve, my sleeve surgeon found I had an ovary that looked abnormal. I told my ob/gyn the story about how it was found. Again, I didn't want to tell.... But I figured for my own benefit when getting medical help, I suppose some need to know.

I definately can see you dilemna in knowing who to tell and who not to.

Ginger x
Back to top Go down
greenfrog
Part of the furniture
greenfrog

Female
Number of posts : 634
Registration date : 2012-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Telling allied health professionals...   Telling allied health professionals... EmptyTue 26 Apr 2016, 2:21 pm

I can't answer your question fully.  But I will say I told my Osteo before I had the surgery and she was fine with it, and when she was on maternity leave I also told the locum because 1, it was soon after my surgery and 2, sometimes they press down on my back near my stomach area... and I was worried close to the surgery.. nowdays I don't worry about pressing down around my stomach area as much.

Personally I would only tell them if I thought it was going to be an issue...
But I'm a secret sleever, so I don't normally tell people anyway.
Back to top Go down
Lisa66
Part of the furniture
Lisa66

Female

PostSubject: Telling allied health professionals...   Telling allied health professionals... EmptyTue 26 Apr 2016, 6:46 am

Okay, this is going to seem stupid, but I need to ask - in the world of health professionals who is it imperative that I tell about my surgery?

I ask for two reasons - 1. I need to go to the osteo for a tune up and I can't decided whether I need to tell her what I've done. I'm worried she may not approve (and I know it's not her business, but I'd rather not feel uncomfortable around her.) I was going to tell her I'd had reflux surgery because she knew I was going to hospital the day after I last saw her.

Second reason - I'm booked in to have dental implants in hospital. Saw the oral surgeon today and gave him my medical history. He didn't ask about previous surgery and I didn't offer any further information. He did ask, "any other medical conditions?" when I told him about my HBP, and I replied "no" because I simply didn't think about the sleeve until later on. I mean it's not a medical condition is it?

Anyway, what do you think? who should I be telling? Is it safe to leave things as they are?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Telling allied health professionals...   Telling allied health professionals... Empty

Back to top Go down

Telling allied health professionals...
Page 1 of 1