Australian Gastric Sleeve Support Forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Teachers Health... Any issues? success stories?

Go down 
+2
cool.J
nervousandnew
6 posters
AuthorMessage
nervousandnew

Female
Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2015-01-31

Teachers Health... Any issues? success stories? Empty
PostSubject: Teachers Health... Any issues? success stories?   Teachers Health... Any issues? success stories? EmptyMon 16 Feb 2015, 2:18 am

Hi all

Im with teachers health - top hospital and top extras, waiting periods all done!

can anyone tell me their experiences with them? How much out of pocket were you?

thanks heaps!
Back to top Go down
cool.J
Part of the furniture
cool.J

Female
Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2015-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Teachers Health... Any issues? success stories?   Teachers Health... Any issues? success stories? EmptyMon 16 Feb 2015, 11:49 pm

Hi nervousandnew, having worked at a health insurance company, it depends what percentage of the hospital charges and Medicare scheduled fees that your fund covers.

Eg I have Bupa and they cover 100% hospital charges in private and 100% of the Medicare scheduled fee for doctors charges. But it's what the doctor charges over the Medicare scheduled fee that you would pay as the gap. And here usually is a gap of from what I've read on forums about 3000-9000 $AUD.

I hope that helps 😊
Back to top Go down
SammySleever
Part of the furniture
SammySleever

Female
Number of posts : 248
Registration date : 2015-01-10

PostSubject: Re: Teachers Health... Any issues? success stories?   Teachers Health... Any issues? success stories? EmptyTue 17 Feb 2015, 2:48 am

Hmmm yes I'm with Teachers Health too - I'd be interested in the benefits.
Back to top Go down
Bumbles
Part of the furniture
Bumbles

Female
Number of posts : 794
Registration date : 2013-10-25

PostSubject: Re: Teachers Health... Any issues? success stories?   Teachers Health... Any issues? success stories? EmptyTue 17 Feb 2015, 4:08 am

Im not with that fund, but its not so much the fund itself, but what the surgeon charges over the top of the medicare scheduled fee, and not just the surgeon, but the anaesthetist as well. Mine was $5000 for the surgeon and $1200 for the anaesthetist both paid in full upfront. They both claimed the medicare rebate on top of this and I was not able to claim any of it back.

My health fund picked up the full hospital tab only ($18k) (thats all the statement said anyway).

The sleeve is medicare item number 31575, call your health fund and ask if they cover hospital stay for it (if you havent already).

The only other out of pocket cost I had but wasnt expecting was the leak test that was about $300.
Back to top Go down
nervousandnew

Female
Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2015-01-31

PostSubject: Re: Teachers Health... Any issues? success stories?   Teachers Health... Any issues? success stories? EmptyFri 27 Feb 2015, 11:40 am

Thanks everyone! Have spoken with Teachers Health and as i have top cover they say i am covered! woohoo
Back to top Go down
Eames
Eames

Female
Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2016-02-10

PostSubject: Teachers Health Fund - new yo private health insurance    Teachers Health... Any issues? success stories? EmptySat 05 Mar 2016, 5:40 am

Hello
I also have top Hospital Cover & Extras with teachers health fund, I am currently waiting for the pre exiting condition time to finish , 1 St of July. I am trying to get my head around gap costs & anesthetist fees. Do different health covers cover different amounts? I thought there was a set amount Medicare covered & the rest was the gap amount I would have to pay. The hospital fees , health insurance would cover, except agreed excess ?
However , surgery fees for surgeons ,their assistant & anesthetist fees - the gap between Medicare & fee would be paid by me not health insurance & would this be the same amount no matter who your insurer is?
I have an appointment with Dr Adam Skidmore later this month, in Melbourne.
If any one can add some clarity to my thoughts/ questions It would be very appreciated.
Becca
Back to top Go down
hopeful22912
hopeful22912

Female
Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2013-06-07

PostSubject: Teacherss Health   Teachers Health... Any issues? success stories? EmptySat 05 Mar 2016, 5:57 am

Hi Everyone,
I had my surgery in 2013, so it was a while ago. I also had Top cover with Teachers Health all up including 10 days accommodation it cost me about $6,000. I had no problems they paid up straight away as did Medicare. I am saving for plastic surgery which due to the fact it is medical I can also claim on my health care.

Believe me it is well worth it, my life has completely changed I am teaching in Bahrain and loving it. Due to my obesity I had never been on a plane now every holidays I go to a new country (over here we have holidays about every 5 weeks). Now instead of buying size 26 - 28 clothes I have size 12 - 14 clothes from the most amazing places.

Good luck with your surgery and enjoy your new life.
N
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Teachers Health... Any issues? success stories?   Teachers Health... Any issues? success stories? Empty

Back to top Go down

Teachers Health... Any issues? success stories?
Page 1 of 1