Australian Gastric Sleeve Support Forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Packing for Hospital

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

Packing for Hospital Empty
PostSubject: Re: Packing for Hospital   Packing for Hospital EmptySat 12 Dec 2015, 3:59 am

I found half the stuff I took I didn't use.

Pyjamas - had top and bottoms, put no pressure on my incisions and let me hoik them up to show nurses/doctors my wounds without showing the world my bits.

Biotene mouth moisturiser - don't even bother. My mouth was like the Sahara the day after the op and I was nil by mouth, the Biotene did nothing at all to keep my mouth from feeling horrible. Cleaning my teeth, rinsing with water and a wet face washer worked well. Gum works as well, stimulates saliva.

The only thing I really needed was my husband. I couldn't wait for him to come up every morning and didn't want him to leave at night. I was such a sook lol. I made him help me wash because there's no way I was letting the nursing staff do it - the nurse I had that day I knew from where I work and have had words with her, so totally awks. But truly, he was my strength and still is. I've got a good one :)
Back to top Go down
Lmw93579
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 235
Registration date : 2015-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Packing for Hospital   Packing for Hospital EmptySun 06 Dec 2015, 5:00 am

Whispers list sounds pretty good, I too took a bra but it was to uncomfy to wear. Having my own pillow was great and when you go home putting it between you and the seatbelt makes the ride much comfier. Pjs and a light cardigan was all I really wore. I did take an e-reader but to be honest couldn't concentrate enough to use it, really just watched a bit of tv, fiddled with my phone, concentrated on getting fluid in and walked...lots(helps with the gas pain)!!

Some diet cordial would have been good as I had trouble drinking water initially. Eventually I developed a bit of a strategy to get fluid in so I could get off the drip, I used one of the 30ml plastic cups they give you pills in, then I timed it so I would drink one evey 15mins then rest for 5mins and just kept going till I could get in enough. So maybe a measuring cup to help you keep track (and the small amounts make it a little less daunting)

Good luck with the op👍
Back to top Go down
Peapodprincess98

Female
Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2015-11-22

PostSubject: Re: Packing for Hospital   Packing for Hospital EmptySun 06 Dec 2015, 4:45 am

Oh Wow Carissa5984 and whispers you guys are awesome and just made my list for me! Thank you Packing for Hospital 217555
Back to top Go down
whispers

Female
Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2015-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Packing for Hospital   Packing for Hospital EmptySun 06 Dec 2015, 12:13 am

I travelled light but I had already been in for band removal so I knew what was provided. I stayed 2 nights but the first was a bit of a blur as I wasn't out of surgery till late afternoon.

I took:

Lipbalm
Phone and charger
Toothbrush and toothpaste
Shampoo and conditioner - but ended up just using the all in one body wash/shampoo provided as it was easier!
Dressing gown (for walking the corridor) and slippers (but didn't use them as the hospital provided non-slip socks)
Moisturiser
Hairbrush
Deodorant
Underwear
Bra - but it was too close to one incision so I didn't wear it
Wallet
Earplugs - but they woke me so often to check vitals I gave up!
Long nightshirts as elastic round my pyjama waistband bugged me after band removal so I figured it would be the same

Plastic bags for dirty washing

2 x up and go (didn't drink them as I felt nauseous)
A book and crossword book - but I didn't touch them as I wasn't really able to concentrate and just felt like dozing

I came home in the clothes I wore to hospital
Back to top Go down
Carissa5984
Carissa5984

Female
Number of posts : 89
Registration date : 2015-10-31

PostSubject: Re: Packing for Hospital   Packing for Hospital EmptySat 05 Dec 2015, 10:01 pm

I have copied this from another one of my posts in another thread so I hope this helps - I have amended it a little

Lipbalm
Phone, headphones and charger
Toothbrush, toothpaste, mouthwash
Gum - not sure about this one as yet
Eyemask and ear plugs
Shower gel
Shampoo
Conditioner
Cleanser
Moisturizer
Hairbrush
Antiperspirant Deodorant/Perfume
Wet toilet wipes

Pads (someone has mentioned that your period can start after surgery)
Underwear
Pyjamas
Sports Bras
Will wear same clothes home as I wore to hospital
Jumper/dressing gown - the dressing gown could double as a blanket, but if you are cold, the hospital will offer more blankets
Shawl - acts like a light jacket around arms if needed
Wallet
Pillow - my absolute must have
Heat Pack - Hoteeze - this is a stick on heat pad that stays hot for up to 8 hours and helps relieve the shoulder tip pain I hear
Sports drinks
Pen and paper
Slippers and socks - but I think I will just do my ballet flats

This is a working list in progress - I keep thinking of the fact I have to pack all this up when I am going to be in a lot of pain, so I may cut a heap out still.

Some people have mentioned they take their iPads and stuff to read, but others are saying you really won't feel like reading much at all. I'm probably going to load my phone with things to watch (I have the iPhone 6s Plus so it is quite a big screen) rather than read.

Hope this helps!
Carissa
Back to top Go down
Peapodprincess98

Female
Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2015-11-22

PostSubject: Packing for Hospital   Packing for Hospital EmptySat 05 Dec 2015, 12:10 pm

What have you taken or will be taking to the hospital with you? I guess you have to take off all your jewelry but can you take your cell phone and e-reader? What about own blanket and pillow?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Packing for Hospital   Packing for Hospital Empty

Back to top Go down

Packing for Hospital
Page 1 of 1