Anaesthetist's options for pain relief? And Hypothyroid Sleevers Experiences

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Shrinking Violet

Female
Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2015-01-10

Anaesthetist's options for pain relief? And Hypothyroid Sleevers Experiences Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anaesthetist's options for pain relief? And Hypothyroid Sleevers Experiences   Anaesthetist's options for pain relief? And Hypothyroid Sleevers Experiences EmptyTue 29 Sep 2015, 6:20 am

My care was less than optimal and "someone" forgot to chart any pain relief for me post op...I didn't really need any though. It's not too painful.
Back to top Go down
aussiearies
Part of the furniture
aussiearies

Female
Number of posts : 894
Registration date : 2014-03-20

Anaesthetist's options for pain relief? And Hypothyroid Sleevers Experiences Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anaesthetist's options for pain relief? And Hypothyroid Sleevers Experiences   Anaesthetist's options for pain relief? And Hypothyroid Sleevers Experiences EmptyMon 28 Sep 2015, 1:53 pm

Hi
I had several discussions with my anaesthetist before my surgery because I had problems with painkillers. So she wanted to be sure I could take the stronger ones with control for the nausea.

However as it turned out I had bad nausea until I got them to stop the stronger pain killers and just stuck with panadol, which was fine. Usually though there is a pump that allows you to choose when to take the pain relief and when not. If you have no issues with the meds I think you should ensure that you are not in unnecessary pain. I don't think they leave the pump in for more than a day or so anyway.

Re the thyroid meds, I was on 150mg a day and have reduced it to 100 a few months after the surgery. It is something that you should get your GP to check every few months as you lose weight as taking too much medication can be as bad as not enough.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anaesthetist's options for pain relief? And Hypothyroid Sleevers Experiences   Anaesthetist's options for pain relief? And Hypothyroid Sleevers Experiences EmptyMon 28 Sep 2015, 10:31 am

Interesting and good question, Belle ! I've had 4 caesareans, but the last one was 14 years ago, so I can't remember anything about pain relief post surgery. It is different, though - a lot more invasive, a substantial cut, and considered major abdominal surgery, whereas the sleeve is not 'major' (yay!) I'll be interested to hear others' experiences and advice, too. 

How will the sleeve likely impact on your thyroxine medication level ??
Back to top Go down
belle82

Female
Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2014-11-30

PostSubject: Anaesthetist's options for pain relief? And Hypothyroid Sleevers Experiences   Anaesthetist's options for pain relief? And Hypothyroid Sleevers Experiences EmptyMon 28 Sep 2015, 7:44 am

Hello,

I am hoping to get a bit of a heads up before I see my anaesthetist. Can anyone tell me what is discussed. Are there choices on pain relief post op and if so what would you suggest.

I have been talking to a friend who had a caesarean about her experiences with the anaesthetist. As it is a different operation I am curious to see what people have to say about the Gastric Sleeve. One piece of advice she did tell me was that they would say how long the pain will be around for and to believe them and take the pain relief for that amount of time.

I also have Hypothyroidism and take 200mg of thyroxine a day. Would love to know how weight loss went for those in a similar position?

Regards
Belle
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anaesthetist's options for pain relief? And Hypothyroid Sleevers Experiences   Anaesthetist's options for pain relief? And Hypothyroid Sleevers Experiences Empty

Back to top Go down

Anaesthetist's options for pain relief? And Hypothyroid Sleevers Experiences
Page 1 of 1