AuthorMessage
raisedbycats
Part of the furniture
raisedbycats

Female
Number of posts : 472
Registration date : 2009-03-02

Kiwi Sleevers - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Kiwi Sleevers   Kiwi Sleevers - Page 3 EmptySat 13 Jun 2009, 10:42 am

First topic message reminder :

Hi all,

This topic is empty and I just can't have it staying that way so I'll say hi for all those Kiwi's to follow.

I'm Suz, I live in Laingholm, Waitakere and I'm having surgery of the 25th June 2009 by Dr Richard Babor.
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
JustcallmeJo

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2009-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Kiwi Sleevers   Kiwi Sleevers - Page 3 EmptySat 10 Apr 2010, 9:42 pm

Hi Sandra!! I remember you from another forum that we were both involved in! I had my sleeve done just over 6 weeks ago, I bit the bullet and had it done privately, as I figured it was actaully a good investment. My weightloss has been slow and steady (and I did have a stall in week 5), but the main thing is when it's gone - it's gone!! yeehaa.
I'm really hoping that it continues to come off slowly in Winter, as I don't want to have to change all my winter clothes twice. I am just starting to be able to eat solids, although I do have trouble working out when I am actually full, and there have been a few 'throw backs'. All in all, really pleased that I took the plunge, after all the yo yo years I endured. Good luck and keep on with this site - everyone is amazing.....
Back to top Go down
sandradeee
sandradeee

Female
Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2010-04-10

PostSubject: Waiting for surgery   Kiwi Sleevers - Page 3 EmptySat 10 Apr 2010, 9:09 am

Hi everyone
I'm so glad I found this thread! I'm about to have my 2nd interview with Richard Babor end of April. As someone mentioned you can get surgery in NZ through the public health system and there is certain very strict criteria for that.

I sometimes wonder if it's all too extreme, but I've been struggling for many years now (I'm 41) and the last 5 yrs have gained and lost the same 15kg over and over again. 144.8kg at my heaviest (and prob similar right now) I haven't been able to get under 130 for years.

Really looking forward to hearing how everyone's going after having the sleeve. Someone mentioned earlier you were thinking of an Auckland meet - that would be FAB! I'd be in for sure.

Nicky - I live in Pukekohe too, would love to know how you got on if you're still on the boards.

Cheers
Sandra
Back to top Go down
wendy.stewart54

Female
Number of posts : 111
Registration date : 2010-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Kiwi Sleevers   Kiwi Sleevers - Page 3 EmptyWed 24 Mar 2010, 10:23 pm

I have my first appointment April 13th, at Auckland weight loss surgery with Dr Beban. Woa!!
Back to top Go down
cypherkelly
cypherkelly

Female
Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2010-03-17

PostSubject: Re: Kiwi Sleevers   Kiwi Sleevers - Page 3 EmptyWed 24 Mar 2010, 6:14 am

HI everyone.
I was sleeved in Auckland through the superclinic. It is my understanding that the superclinic, along with a few other hospitals in the country are at present offering bariatric surgery (free) to people who qualify and collecting the results and data to put forward to the government in order to show that this surgery can prevent the more costly medical intervention.
You have to have a high BMI and it depends on any pre-existing conditions, and it takes quite a while to go through the process (my first appointment was 1 year before my surgery)
I weighed 160kg, was 30yrs and had no pre-existing conditions although was at risk of developing type 2 diabeties and high blood pressure. I have PCOS and because of that and my weight I couldnt have children (my fingers crossed that I will be able to soon)
My auntie also qualified, 49yrs, type 2 diabeties and alot of other conditions, she was sleeved 2yrs ago.
Fingers xrossed that this goes well and the government agree that in the long run they save $ by prevention than allowing the obesity problems continue.
Hope this is helpful......kelly
Back to top Go down
Keridwyn
Part of the furniture
Keridwyn

Female
Number of posts : 304
Registration date : 2009-05-03

PostSubject: Re: Kiwi Sleevers   Kiwi Sleevers - Page 3 EmptyMon 22 Mar 2010, 8:46 pm

I agree completely. Full self pay (and in the end I think I have shelled out over $20000 after I deduct the $7500 Southern Cross gave me) is a major deterrent. I can only hope that some of the positive media recently on high profile cases means that one day we can get a free loan or even a grant. They support the stop smoking so I dont really get it.
Back to top Go down
Alexina
Alexina

Female
Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2010-03-05

PostSubject: Kiwi in Perth   Kiwi Sleevers - Page 3 EmptyMon 22 Mar 2010, 9:41 am

HI, I can honestly say that as a kiwi living in Aussie that we are totally ripped off as far as weightloss surgery goes in NZ. I am going to be sleeved 29th April in Perth by Gordon Padovan and I am looking at out of pocket expenses of around $3500 au. If I was living in NZ I would never have been able to afford the surgery. Ok I have paid my HBF hospital cover for 12 months and not adding that into the equation at around $35 a week. But it is a rip off in NZ!! I am so pleased that I have moved here, not permanantly mind you but what a great thing to be able to afford the surgery that will change my life and my outlook. I love Australia!!!
Back to top Go down
sutbr01
sutbr01

Male
Number of posts : 71
Registration date : 2009-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Kiwi Sleevers   Kiwi Sleevers - Page 3 EmptyWed 17 Mar 2010, 6:37 am

Hi Kelly, welcome to the forum, you are doing very well, month 3 to month 4 is a great change time for your sleeve, I find protein to full me much quicker than carbs, veges etc.

I am trying to organise a get togther for Auckland based sleevers, so keep posted on the site.

I am now approaching my 6th month and love my sleeve....

Good luck.
Back to top Go down
cypherkelly
cypherkelly

Female
Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2010-03-17

PostSubject: Re: Kiwi Sleevers   Kiwi Sleevers - Page 3 EmptyWed 17 Mar 2010, 3:42 am

Hi, Im kelly.
I was sleeved in Nov 09 and have lost 35kg. Not eating much but working on it, atleast my hair isnt falling out. Just found this site so really excited. My surgeon was Richard (cant remember his last name, they change them on me 2 days before) and I was done in Middlemore, Auckland.
Back to top Go down
nickyr

Female
Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2009-06-08

PostSubject: Update   Kiwi Sleevers - Page 3 EmptySat 17 Oct 2009, 6:51 am

To follow up on my previous weight loss and encourage yet to be sleevers - i started this journey in june at 181.9 mid july weighed 149 KGS and today am down to 132kgs. I have finally joined a gym as well so lets see what the next weigh in will hold. I still struggle with eating enough food but am working on that at present. Good luck to all future sleevers and I hope I encourage some of you to take the plunge if undecided
Back to top Go down
sutbr01
sutbr01

Male
Number of posts : 71
Registration date : 2009-07-23

PostSubject: Another Kiwi Member   Kiwi Sleevers - Page 3 EmptyThu 23 Jul 2009, 6:16 am

Hi Guys, just joined today, based in Central Auckland (Mt Albert), struggled with my weight all my life, been able to get down to 144kg from 166kg in the last couple of years. My procedure is booked for late September with Rob Fris. Looking forward to feedback or comments.
Back to top Go down
nickyr

Female

PostSubject: Surgeon   Kiwi Sleevers - Page 3 EmptyWed 15 Jul 2009, 4:42 am

My surgeon was the wonderful Habib Rahman and I am in Pukekohe
Back to top Go down
raisedbycats
Part of the furniture
raisedbycats

Female

PostSubject: Re: Kiwi Sleevers   Kiwi Sleevers - Page 3 EmptyWed 15 Jul 2009, 2:00 am

Hi Nicky,

Welcome to the forum! Congratulations on the weight loss so far.

Do you mind me asking - who was your surgeon and where in Auckland are you?
Back to top Go down
nickyr

Female

PostSubject: Need to get other kiwis on board   Kiwi Sleevers - Page 3 EmptyWed 15 Jul 2009, 12:20 am

I have found this site absolutely fantastic.
I was sleeved on the 17th June after extensive research and have found this to be the most useful chat site.
I started this with a weight of 181.9 kgs (huge I know, but I had totally buried my head in the sand was still active and the weight just kept piling on.) I would yoyoy diet in extreme amounts.
The day of surgery I weighed in at 156kgs
After surgery with the added fluid I was back to 163KGS
Now a month today post surgery I weigh 149 KGS
And would like to encourage and support any body that needs advise or support.
Back to top Go down
*Lib*
Top Poster
Top Poster
*Lib*

Female
Number of posts : 1594
Registration date : 2009-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Kiwi Sleevers   Kiwi Sleevers - Page 3 EmptySun 14 Jun 2009, 6:35 am

I am so jelaous of you guys in NZ. I was born on the south island. When my daughter was about 6 months old we came for a visit and my hsuabnd fell in love with Chch and Dunedun, and we'd loe to move there, but never will! Kiwi Sleevers - Page 3 63469
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Kiwi Sleevers   Kiwi Sleevers - Page 3 EmptySun 14 Jun 2009, 5:10 am

oh, well thats a bit dissapionting Suz. If you happen to find your self on the S island visiting rellies or something in september, sing out!
I know, i'll go to the northern tip of the south island, you go to the southern tip of the north island and we can shout really loud to each other hehehe!
Back to top Go down
raisedbycats
Part of the furniture
raisedbycats

Female

PostSubject: Re: Kiwi Sleevers   Kiwi Sleevers - Page 3 EmptySun 14 Jun 2009, 1:46 am

Hi Belly,

Waitakere is to the West of Auckland (although the government is soon going to make it part of Auckland to our dismay), so I'm a North Islander I'm afraid (although I was born in the South Island so I can call myself a Mainlander).
Back to top Go down
Keridwyn
Part of the furniture
Keridwyn

Female
Number of posts : 304
Registration date : 2009-05-03

PostSubject: Re: Kiwi Sleevers   Kiwi Sleevers - Page 3 EmptySun 14 Jun 2009, 1:32 am

Waves at all the fellow Kiwis. Hugs to you all.

I can be found in Christchurch. My journey to the sleeve was via web reading on the band over the last 12 months but the whole post op issues (fills and possible problems down the track) sent me away. I stumbled on the sleeve a few months ago and away I have gone.

I am having the sleeve done next week via Intus in Christchurch and so far are very happy. The pre op has been very very through and they have even allowed for me up to five days in a private ensuite room at Saint Georges.

Cost including all pre-op (dietitian x2 visits, psychologist x1, nurse x3, surgeon x2), all operation costs, and 18 months post op visits is over $23000. This may change for others as I am their first sleeve only patient so far the band being more common. I have been approved for Southern Cross's maximum rebate a grant of $7500 but it is worth noting you need to pay the full operation cost then send in for the rebate. Be prepared Kiwi Sleevers - Page 3 63469

Steven Kelly has been awesome. My first appointment was a cancellation spot the day after I called for the first time. He set my mind at ease and talked honestly about both the risks and the benefits. He was very firm that having gone over my history of diets and yo/yo weight loss it was not my fault. Using this site and others I made a list of questions for my second visit with him and found out I was his most read patient ever. We even got down to the nitty gritty of the operation as a result.

I am a person that likes all the information and to know all the risks. I had major surgery go wrong on me many years ago (6 weeks in hospital and many skin graft operations resulted). Hopefully in the months to come I can fill new people in more on the later stages. At this time I am happy with my choices as the sleeve seems the most natural operation, with the best long term chance to eat and live normally weight free and without later issues from the surgery (once the risk periods are passed).

Last edited by Keridwyn on Wed 15 Jul 2009, 12:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Kiwi Sleevers   Kiwi Sleevers - Page 3 EmptySat 13 Jun 2009, 1:20 pm

woohoo Suz, (much nicer than fatgeek!)

Is Waitakerie in the south island? I'll visit you in september if you're up for it!

...runs of singing i'm goinging to New Zeland like a 2 year old... heheheh!
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Admin

Female
Number of posts : 1588
Registration date : 2008-05-25

PostSubject: Re: Kiwi Sleevers   Kiwi Sleevers - Page 3 EmptySat 13 Jun 2009, 11:37 am

Nope, we certainly cannot have an empty forum. I will have none of it!
LOL. Now carry on with fun and frivolity! I'm butting out because I am an Aussie!
Hayley
Back to top Go down
raisedbycats
Part of the furniture
raisedbycats

Female

PostSubject: Kiwi Sleevers   Kiwi Sleevers - Page 3 EmptySat 13 Jun 2009, 10:42 am

Hi all,

This topic is empty and I just can't have it staying that way so I'll say hi for all those Kiwi's to follow.

I'm Suz, I live in Laingholm, Waitakere and I'm having surgery of the 25th June 2009 by Dr Richard Babor.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kiwi Sleevers   Kiwi Sleevers - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Kiwi Sleevers
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3