AuthorMessage
raisedbycats
Part of the furniture
raisedbycats

Female
Number of posts : 472
Registration date : 2009-03-02

Kiwi Sleevers - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Kiwi Sleevers   Kiwi Sleevers - Page 2 EmptySat 13 Jun 2009, 10:42 am

First topic message reminder :

Hi all,

This topic is empty and I just can't have it staying that way so I'll say hi for all those Kiwi's to follow.

I'm Suz, I live in Laingholm, Waitakere and I'm having surgery of the 25th June 2009 by Dr Richard Babor.
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
Carrie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Number of posts : 2601
Registration date : 2009-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Kiwi Sleevers   Kiwi Sleevers - Page 2 EmptySat 31 Jul 2010, 3:05 pm

bubbles wrote:
...Finally a fellow kiwi on this site - we seem to be few and far between!...

Hi Lesley & Bubbles,

Welcome to the site. There are actually a lot of us here :-) There are a few members who post from NZ, and, a little while ago a discussion in a thread revealed that a lot of the regular posters are NZers living in Aust.

I'm from ChCh and have been here since 1982, but get home at least a couple of times each year. We are moving back in 2-3 months... a bit scarey after all this time :-)

I look forward to talking to you both around the site.

Cheers - Carrie
Back to top Go down
bubbles
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 207
Registration date : 2010-07-21

PostSubject: Re: Kiwi Sleevers   Kiwi Sleevers - Page 2 EmptyFri 30 Jul 2010, 9:49 pm

Hi Lesley

Finally a fellow kiwi on this site - we seem to be few and far between! I'm due to be sleeved on 10 August and I stumbled across this site a few weeks ago and it has some really good stuff on it.

Stay away from the negative stuff and focus on the positive - how YOU will feel and look after the procedure has been done - this is all about you - not them. Once they see the results they will change their attitude pretty quickly I'm sure.

Keep looking around this site cos there is LOTS of stuff which will be relevant to how you are feeling. My doctor initially referred me for a band but the surgeon suggested the sleeve and I've just ran with that. I have all sorts of feelings going on at the moment but I'm trying to keep my mind focussing on the end picture.

Keep smiling.

Kiwi Sleevers - Page 2 217555
Back to top Go down
poster girl
poster girl

Female
Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2010-07-30

PostSubject: advice   Kiwi Sleevers - Page 2 EmptyFri 30 Jul 2010, 9:44 am

Hello. This is the most fantastic site for people like myself who have been considering surgery and wondering all the things that you wonder about what happens before, during or after. I have written to you because I am due to have a gastric sleeve procedure carried out by Richard Babor at the beginning of October. Its all a bit nervewracking really as I have absolutely no family support over my decision. My GP has referred me and says go for it - he has followed my battle with weight for many years. Richard Babor agreed to surgery after declining last year because of lack of family support. All I get from the family is "what if it goes wrong". Suppose I am now feeling very vulnerable because it is really happening now. Wondered if any of you could identify with this and give me a bit of support. If you live in Auckland it would be great to have a cup of tea with you or any other local sleevers. I felt so confident with it all right up until this week. I read all the comments and long to have a little weight loss chart like all of you. Just need to get some confidence back.

Sorry to rattle on but hope you can help. If you do answer could you copy it into lesley.hawes@rwkingsland.co.nz as well because this comes straight to my Blackberry.

Thanks Lesley
Back to top Go down
kiwichick

Female
Number of posts : 178
Registration date : 2010-05-16

PostSubject: Re: Kiwi Sleevers   Kiwi Sleevers - Page 2 EmptyMon 17 May 2010, 9:36 am

I was just wondering if there is anyone else in South Auckland on here? I am looking for someone to go to Aqua aerobics at Manurewa Aquatic centre with, I used to go all the time - but due to my hernia I have lost all motivation (and the fact that it causes me a great deal of pain means that I really don't want to go), but my Surgeon (Richard) tells me I need to be going to the gym - so if there is someone out there who is interested in going then we could meet up there. The class is really awesome and fun
Back to top Go down
Carrie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Carrie

Female

PostSubject: Re: Kiwi Sleevers   Kiwi Sleevers - Page 2 EmptyMon 17 May 2010, 6:33 am

Hi KiwiChick,

Welcome to the site.

I had my sleeve op in Feb this year and can honestly say that it is the best thing I've ever done for myself and those who love me. I'm only half way to where I'd like to be but already the changes in how happy I am and how I enjoy my life are phenomenal.

Now that you've signed up you'll find there are some new areas that you can access. Have a good poke around, the diaries in particular are a great resource, and there are some good hints in the pre & post-op sections to help you through. If you have any questions, ask away, there's sure to be someone who can help.

Nice to meet you and I look forward to sharing your journey.

Cheers - Carrie
Back to top Go down
kiwichick

Female
Number of posts : 178
Registration date : 2010-05-16

PostSubject: Re: Kiwi Sleevers   Kiwi Sleevers - Page 2 EmptySun 16 May 2010, 2:17 pm

Hi All

I just signed up tonight although I found and have been reading everyone's posts for about a month.

Needing some help with patience at the moment - I had a Band removed in Sept 2009 at Middlemore hosp due to a perforated stomach and massive abdominal infection and I was told that I would have a sleeve after 6 months (giving my stomach time to heal) - well by my calculation it's 8 months and NO sleeve.

It gets harder everyday to eat a small amount when there is no restriction and I never feel full.

I also developed a massive hernia (looks like i'm maybe 5 months pregnant and my abdomen feels solid like it too) which needs to be operated on.

HELP - Kiwi Sleevers - Page 2 68366
Back to top Go down
wendy.stewart54

Female
Number of posts : 111
Registration date : 2010-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Kiwi Sleevers   Kiwi Sleevers - Page 2 EmptySun 16 May 2010, 2:47 am

Day 19 today on opti. Only 9 left to go. How are all the other kiwis going? It is very quiet here.
Cheers
Back to top Go down
JustcallmeJo
JustcallmeJo

Female
Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2009-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Kiwi Sleevers   Kiwi Sleevers - Page 2 EmptyTue 27 Apr 2010, 5:57 am

Great stuff Wendy. All the best with the Opti....I loved it (I got the Coffee flavour through Pharmacy Direct)
Back to top Go down
wendy.stewart54

Female

PostSubject: Re: Kiwi Sleevers   Kiwi Sleevers - Page 2 EmptyTue 27 Apr 2010, 4:26 am

Today my date was set - 26th May, with Dr Grant Beban at Mercy Hospital, Auckland. Optifast starts tomorrow. Yippeee, I'm on my way.
Wendy
Back to top Go down
Carrie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Carrie

Female

PostSubject: Re: Kiwi Sleevers   Kiwi Sleevers - Page 2 EmptySun 18 Apr 2010, 3:18 am

Hello you lot :-)

I've just been reading the thread and thought it was probably a bit rude not to say hello.

I am from Christchurch but have lived in Sydney since 1982. We (hubby and myself) are presently organising our lives and preparing to move back to NZ later this year.

I had my sleeve op on the 12th of Feb this year and can honestly say that it is the best thing I have ever done for myself. I already feel so much better, can do so much more, and am so HAPPY.

I hope you are all exploring the rest of the site (it would be great to have a bit of kiwi presence on the other threads, LOL). The diaries are a great resource and, should you start one of your own, an excellent way to look back on your journey.

I have checked this thread out every now and again since I joined the forum but it has always been so quiet. It is really good to find you all here now.
Kiwi Sleevers - Page 2 217555 - Carrie
Back to top Go down
cypherkelly
cypherkelly

Female
Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2010-03-17

PostSubject: Re: Kiwi Sleevers   Kiwi Sleevers - Page 2 EmptySun 18 Apr 2010, 2:36 am

I have found since my op i have lost a lot of the cravings i had before. The nurse thinks they may come back, but on occasion I will try a little bit of chocolate or cheese etc and still find it to be too strong a flavour for me.
My hunger has increased but thats good as it means my metabolisim is working better. Also, I still struggle to eat more than 1 cup food a day, getting better at eating protein. I am now 5 mnths post op and almost in the 'under hundys club', have lost 60 kg in the last year.............and im loving it.
Great to read everyones experiences, keep up the good work Kiwi Sleevers - Page 2 217555
Back to top Go down
wendy.stewart54

Female

PostSubject: Re: Kiwi Sleevers   Kiwi Sleevers - Page 2 EmptyThu 15 Apr 2010, 5:18 am

Hi Lee,
Great to hear from you. I am also a newbie, I had my first Dr's appointment this week. So I have also started the long journey. I am seeing Dr Grant Beban at Auckland Weight Loss Surgery, and am doing this privately. I am under 5 ft, and have a BMI of 41. So plenty to lose.
All the best,
Wendy

Last edited by wendy.stewart54 on Sun 18 Apr 2010, 3:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
LeDiva
LeDiva

Female
Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2010-04-14

PostSubject: The start if a long journey.   Kiwi Sleevers - Page 2 EmptyThu 15 Apr 2010, 5:06 am

Hi everyone , Lee from Manukau, so glad I found this forum. Many of you have already had the surgery and some of you may be on the other side of the fence at the moment and waiting for or contemplating gastric sleeve surgery. I am at the beginning of my long journey and trying to gain enough knowledge that will prepare me for the little molehills that lie ahead. Enjoying reading about real life experiences on this website, excellent source of information from people that are living the dream. Well done and much love to you all. I will be joining you soon and cant wait either. Take care xx

Last edited by LeDiva on Mon 19 Apr 2010, 11:57 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : to many spelling mistakes)
Back to top Go down
Keridwyn
Part of the furniture
Keridwyn

Female
Number of posts : 304
Registration date : 2009-05-03

PostSubject: Re: Kiwi Sleevers   Kiwi Sleevers - Page 2 EmptyWed 14 Apr 2010, 11:35 pm

sandradeee wrote:
Since it's just your stomach though - how does everyone cope with stress now that you can't reach for comfort foods?

But you can reach for and eat them :)

You are just as vulnerable as pre-surgery to bad choices. You have say to yourself no. You have to learn to change what and how you eat. A good surgeon will have a multi visit approach with dietitian, psychologist and maybe even nurse visits. Mine included up to 18 months post op. I'm still learning and wonder if even that is long enough.
Back to top Go down
sandradeee
sandradeee

Female
Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2010-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Kiwi Sleevers   Kiwi Sleevers - Page 2 EmptyTue 13 Apr 2010, 8:38 am

Very cool - I wasn't sure how many appointments I would need before surgery so I guess my one on 23rd April is only the step in many.

It's interesting to read how much people lose and how long it takes. I have received a message from a friend who's friend says she has lost 30kgs since surgery - surgery was about a month ago? That doesn't seem right to me at all, infact, it sounds down right dangerous if that is the truth. Apparently she's never hungry and barely eats at all. Each to their own, but sounds like a recipe for disaster really.

I don't think it's a fix at all but I do hope it's a very strong tool. Afterall, I've used many tools before diet pills and the like and haven't had much success for longer than a few weeks. I'm hoping the surgery - if I go through with it - is a tool Ican't put down. I can't forget to take the pill or forget I'm on a diet when a morning tea shout comes along. I like what one person said about it feels like their brain was operated on, I think that's what I need.

Since it's just your stomach though - how does everyone cope with stress now that you can't reach for comfort foods?
Back to top Go down
wendy.stewart54

Female

PostSubject: Re: Kiwi Sleevers   Kiwi Sleevers - Page 2 EmptyTue 13 Apr 2010, 4:43 am

Just back from my first Doctor's visit, and all went well. I didn't burst into tears.
Next week I see the dietitian and psychologist, then make another appointment with the surgeon to set the date. So all is on.....
Back to top Go down
Keridwyn
Part of the furniture
Keridwyn

Female
Number of posts : 304
Registration date : 2009-05-03

PostSubject: Re: Kiwi Sleevers   Kiwi Sleevers - Page 2 EmptyTue 13 Apr 2010, 2:11 am

Most negative. For me the loss being slow, the vigilance I need to still pay to my diet to loose anything at all. You need to go into this seeing it as a journey not as an instant fix.

You can regain, you might not loose all the "hunger", and so on. You need to think about after and all you are willing to do to make this work. Reading the stories here is a huge help in that.

It is a huge step in the right direction and I weigh less now than I have for over 30 years. I love my sleeve and the chance it has given me. The scales go down very slowly but still 10 months out they creep down. That is totally amazing to me. This operation was the best thing I did for me but I did think the operation was the fix. Its not - its just a tool that helps.
Back to top Go down
sandradeee
sandradeee

Female

PostSubject: Re: Kiwi Sleevers   Kiwi Sleevers - Page 2 EmptyMon 12 Apr 2010, 9:02 am

Thanks girls

I'm really glad I found this forum support. I know there's a thread somewhere for pre-sleevers but it's great to have fellow kiwi's to chat to :)

I just had a private message also saying it felt that her brain had been operated on, not her stomach. I'm hoping that's the case, it feels so extreme, and yet I don't really want to continue this roller coaster ride. I think if I lost 10kg pre-surgery and cancelled surgery it wouldn't be too long before it went back on... actually, even if I kept it off 6 months would be great but I think you're right. I don't believe we'd even all be here chatting if we hadn't tried shakes n various things a thousand times over.

My closest friends are very supportive and I was surprised that they all thought it was a fabulous idea and are very excited for me. These friends are all slim and have never really battled the bulge so I was pleasantly surprised. Strangely enough the friend who thinks I should try 'another diet' is overweight herself and has yo yo'd 15kg over the last few years herself...an insy part of me wondered if perhaps she didn't want me to lose...surely not, but the thought did enter my little head.

Lots to think about. In the meantime, I love reading all your stories and how everyone is going.

I have a Q. for anyone wanting to answer...

What is the most negative thing you have experienced since being sleeved?

I can't thank you enough, to chat to people who actually know the anxiety and questions in my head is fantastic.
Back to top Go down
JustcallmeJo
JustcallmeJo

Female

PostSubject: Re: Kiwi Sleevers   Kiwi Sleevers - Page 2 EmptyMon 12 Apr 2010, 6:34 am

Sandra, I was like you and thought surgery was only for those of us that were immobile, and then one day I had a good look at the women in my family. I didn't want my daughter to have to go through what I have been through with my mum. Mum (like me) has battled all her life with her weight, and now suffers from diabetes, heart condition/ high BP, arthritis and fluid retention. Her GP suggested surgery, however she feels she is too old to cope with the operation and aftercare. She was so delighted when I decided to have the op instead. I decided I didn't want to be my mum.
Research all you can...it is a big life changing decision.

oh...my daughter just saw your pic and reckons you are a babe!!
Back to top Go down
wendy.stewart54

Female

PostSubject: Re: Kiwi Sleevers   Kiwi Sleevers - Page 2 EmptyMon 12 Apr 2010, 6:21 am

Hi Sandra,
Yea, sure, you can lose weight with the shake, but can you keep it off? I can't. I always put it back and more. So this is now enough. Will let you all know how my Dr's appointment goes tomorrow.
Wendy
Back to top Go down
sandradeee
sandradeee

Female

PostSubject: Re: Kiwi Sleevers   Kiwi Sleevers - Page 2 EmptyMon 12 Apr 2010, 6:14 am

Thanks Jo. Strangely enough I had a friend her today who was giving me the low down on all the other ways I could lose weight without surgery. I know she meant well, but really, we've tried many of these ways before gawd knows how many diets. She did say if I can do the shake pre-surgery then perhaps I could just continue... I know what she means, but it doesn't appear to work that way does it. I was just reading how only 4% of dieters tend to keep their weight off for life - that's really really low!

I tried to weigh myself today and it said EE which is short for GET OFF ME YOUR TOO FAT. It means I'm over 137.5kg which is as high as my scales go, so I was less than impressed with that.

I'm feeling a bit flat with it all. I'm mad at myself that I'm now considering surgery, something I used to think was for people who were almost immobile and here I am - joining the queue.

I had to quickly get dressed run outside and put the bins out today because the garden bin guy was early and that little fit of exercise left me out of breath. Not good, but I'm still undecided. Surely there's a magic wand somewhere :)

.... by the way Jo, don't forget to update your ticker to 99.9% that's fantastic! I think many of us can relate how great it would be to see double digits. Well done, massive effort.
Back to top Go down
JustcallmeJo
JustcallmeJo

Female

PostSubject: Re: Kiwi Sleevers   Kiwi Sleevers - Page 2 EmptyMon 12 Apr 2010, 12:35 am

Good luck with your appointment Wendy. next time you visit that lighthouse - you'll be able to run to it!! :o)
Back to top Go down
wendy.stewart54

Female

PostSubject: Re: Kiwi Sleevers   Kiwi Sleevers - Page 2 EmptySun 11 Apr 2010, 11:52 pm

Hi, It is interesting how we all go through this journey. I keep thinking, maybe I can just lose weight. Yes, I can, over and over, and pick it all up again and more. We have just been on holiday, and we went to 90 mile beach. The walk to the lighthouse was no problem, and I set a brisk pace for the walk back up. At my first rest spot, I was dizzy, felt ill, and thought that I would pass out. I HAVE to get this weight off and keep it off.
I haven't told my 18 year old yet.
My husband is fully supportive, I am lucky.
My first appointment is tomorrow!!
Cheers, Wendy
Back to top Go down
JustcallmeJo
JustcallmeJo

Female

PostSubject: Re: Kiwi Sleevers   Kiwi Sleevers - Page 2 EmptySun 11 Apr 2010, 9:53 pm

My TF log in was under DEEZL, and I live in Whangarei. I actually enjoyed by time doing TF and did manage to lose 14kg over a 5 month period, but as soon as I stopped it came back!!
It still blows me away that I am eating such small servings (compared to what I just to pack away), although I am doing reasonably well capacity wise. Some on here can only managed 2-3 spoonfuls, whereas I have been able to manage 1/2 + cup no trouble.
You will manage the Optifast stage, as it is so essential. I was very ho hum about it, but when my surgeon showed me the photos of my surgery and I saw the horrible yellow fat around my liver and stomach I was horrified!! My liver was in good condition (thanks to the pre-op diet), but ewwww gross - that fat!!
I got through my surgery really well, and have not needed any pain/reflux relief since leaving hospital (I did elect to stay in there and extra night as I live so far away). I was back at work the next day (day 4 after my op) and was driving and pretty much doing everything. I had never been hugely active, so I didn't need to slow down much! lol
I jumped on the scales this morning (stark naked and after a pee/before coffee) and the scales blinked at 99.9! Hip hip hooorray!!! I have achieved my 1st goal and can now go and enjoy my prize over the weekend.
Good luck with your decision making - I am lucky that I have a very supportive husband (emotionally), but did struggle with my teenage daughter coming to terms with what I was doing. She changed her tune tho when she saw the weight coming off and the smile on my face.
It was worth every dollar! :o)
Back to top Go down
sandradeee
sandradeee

Female

PostSubject: Re: Kiwi Sleevers   Kiwi Sleevers - Page 2 EmptySun 11 Apr 2010, 8:11 am

Hi Jo - what was your name on TF? I don't recall the face, did you post on my Bariatric thread... I messaged someone recently to see how their surgery was but there was no photo - I'm thinking it was probably you :) Nice to get back in touch.

Does it feel weird with your tummy pretty much removed? I've often wondered if it would feel odd. I know I shouldn't eat as much as I do - but 10%? Do you feel well eating that little. I guess we've heard over and over about starvation mode etc., but this surgery just goes to show there really is no such thing. You eat very little and your bod isnt going into starvation at all.

I'm very much swaying towards doing the surgery now. I was chicken for a while and still anxious but the more I think of it the more I think yes. My bf is dead against it, but we're not all that serious and I need to feel comfortable the other 90% of my life when he's not around lol.

Looks like you're doing well, 12kgs, was that all after surgery or did you need to lose weight prior. The Optifast is what I'm dreading the most - you probably already know how I feel about shakes haha

Probably like most peopleon this thread, I just am so entirely over the yo yo's of dieting. I know I still will need to work at it but hoping this forced appetite suppressing of having such a small capacity will get me there. If I could lose around 50kg I would be one very happy camper - after that I'm a bid concerned about skin etc. and that, to me, would feel worse than fat.

I know they're recommending 2 weeks off work. It's possible I might have a new job soon, do you think it's possible to go back to work earlier than that? How did you feel post op - wondering if I'll need help or be ok on my own
:O)
Back to top Go down
JustcallmeJo
JustcallmeJo

Female

PostSubject: Re: Kiwi Sleevers   Kiwi Sleevers - Page 2 EmptySat 10 Apr 2010, 9:42 pm

Hi Sandra!! I remember you from another forum that we were both involved in! I had my sleeve done just over 6 weeks ago, I bit the bullet and had it done privately, as I figured it was actaully a good investment. My weightloss has been slow and steady (and I did have a stall in week 5), but the main thing is when it's gone - it's gone!! yeehaa.
I'm really hoping that it continues to come off slowly in Winter, as I don't want to have to change all my winter clothes twice. I am just starting to be able to eat solids, although I do have trouble working out when I am actually full, and there have been a few 'throw backs'. All in all, really pleased that I took the plunge, after all the yo yo years I endured. Good luck and keep on with this site - everyone is amazing.....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kiwi Sleevers   Kiwi Sleevers - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Kiwi Sleevers
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next