AuthorMessage
Nini
Part of the furniture
Nini

Female
Number of posts : 952
Registration date : 2013-01-20

Kidney Stones after WLS Empty
PostSubject: Kidney Stones after WLS   Kidney Stones after WLS EmptyMon 26 Jan 2015, 12:25 am

Just recently I have been reading a lot of posts on other sites about people developing kidney stones after their weight loss surgery. I thought I might put up this article about how to prevent them. Sounds like I need to cut down on my tea
Kidney Stones after WLS 595690

http://www.drbrianstork.com/blog/tips-kidney-stones-weight-loss-surgery/

5 Tips for Kidney Stone Prevention 

1.  Drink Up! 

Water is very important in kidney stone prevention. Weight loss surgery patients are taught to sip fluids throughout the day.
Quote :
A general recommendation is consume at least 6-8 glasses of water each day. Water helps dilute oxalate in the urinary tract and prevent it from forming into crystals and stones.
Kidney Stones after WLS IStock_000013725864XSmall

2.  Limit Oxalate Containing Foods  

Black teas, nuts, and dark leafy greens contain significant amounts of oxalates.  Consumption of these types of high oxalate-containing foods should be limited. In addition, nuts are high in calories which can defeat your weight loss efforts.

3.  Decrease Sodium

Reducing sodium intake is important. In addition to setting the salt shaker down, reducing sodium can be accomplished by eating less processed meats and packaged foods. Limiting sodium to 1500 mg or less daily is a good start. You can learn about how much sodium a given food contains by referring to the product’s nutrition label.

4. Cut out Red Meat

Limiting animal protein consumption can be helpful. Following weight loss surgery, protein is emphasized as a high priority food, but that doesn’t mean that you are on a high protein diet. Most patients who have undergone weight loss surgery cannot eat large portions of animal protein. Therefore, exploring more plant-based protein like legumes (beans) isn’t a bad idea, and they tend to be tolerated well after weight loss surgery.

5.  Other Dietary Suggestions

Much of what is a written about kidney stone prevention is centered around foods to be avoided. I asked my friend, Erica Phelps, a registered dietician, for some meal suggestions that might be low in oxalate. Here are some of her suggestions:

•  A bowl of bean or lentil soup or vegetarian chili

•  Homemade  bean burgers 

•  Mixed dishes of brown rice or quinoa tossed with beans, diced peppers, and onions 

•  Lettuce salad topped with garbanzo beans (chickpeas), cucumbers, tomatoes, and a vinaigrette dressing. 

Most people don’t have the time to prepare dry beans from scratch. Canned beans can be a healthy option. Rinsing canned beans before using can significantly reduce their sodium content.
Lettuce salads, cabbage, cauliflower, asparagus, green beans, peppers, and all squash are low oxalate vegetable choices. Finally, green tea is a low oxalate alternative to black tea.
Kidney Stones after WLS IStock_000012007530XSmallEnjoy a nice warm bowl of  vegetarian chili or bean soup.

Putting It All Together 

Oxalate stones are a potential side effect of gastric bypass surgery. Consuming water throughout the day, limiting your sodium intake, and eating a diet rich in plant-based protein are all healthy strategies that can help you manage your weight, and prevent kidney stones.
- See more at: http://www.drbrianstork.com/blog/tips-kidney-stones-weight-loss-surgery/#sthash.exWeezkI.dpuf - See more at: http://www.drbrianstork.com/blog/tips-kidney-stones-weight-loss-surgery/#sthash.exWeezkI.dpuf
Back to top Go down

Kidney Stones after WLS
Page 1 of 1