AuthorMessage
neljatye
Part of the furniture
neljatye

Female
Number of posts : 470
Registration date : 2010-07-20

Anyone have one kidney and a sleeve? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anyone have one kidney and a sleeve?   Anyone have one kidney and a sleeve? EmptyWed 15 Jun 2011, 3:06 am

Hey Nat, my kidney's are joined together in what they call a horseshoe kidney and they only function as one. so technically i guess i only have one kidney......and it has made no difference to my sleeve or my journey everything is going well..... good luck with ebverything and big hugs to you!!!
Back to top Go down
Jaime
Part of the furniture
Jaime

Female
Number of posts : 1024
Registration date : 2010-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have one kidney and a sleeve?   Anyone have one kidney and a sleeve? EmptyMon 13 Jun 2011, 11:23 am

I can't help you sorry but I will say that I will be like you a little down the track. I am being sleeved in September but one of my motivations to get the weight off is because I need to give my Dad one of my kidneys (he's on Dialysis).

Best of luck with your surgery ... hoping for a quick and smooth recovery! xx
Back to top Go down
pominoz
pominoz

Female
Number of posts : 160
Registration date : 2010-12-21

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have one kidney and a sleeve?   Anyone have one kidney and a sleeve? EmptyMon 13 Jun 2011, 6:37 am

Hi PM,

I still have both my kidney's but on my left side I have a duplex which basically is one and half kidney and in 2002 was working at 80% and on my right hand side my kidney only works at 30% but probably less now due to scarring from recurrent kidney stones due to a rare genetic condition. I know that I really have to keep up my water in take or I really feel it and I'm prone to UTI's.

If your remaining kidney is in good condition you should be fine just keep up the water to help flush out the toxins.

Good luck!
Back to top Go down
sassysmum
Part of the furniture
sassysmum

Female
Number of posts : 328
Registration date : 2011-04-11

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have one kidney and a sleeve?   Anyone have one kidney and a sleeve? EmptyMon 13 Jun 2011, 12:05 am

Hi PM,

And you have made such an astonishing difference to your life as it is, that has taken serious courage and dedication. I guess this is just one more challenge to be losing a kidney. Your surgeon will know your history and will take that into account.

You are a special case and we will all be thinking of you. A very famous woman once said, "All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well". (Julian of Norwich 1342-1416). It's a quote that seeks for wisdom and peace.

Good luck and sweet thoughts to you.
cheers
sassysmum
Back to top Go down
PiercedMumma08
Top Poster
Top Poster
PiercedMumma08

Female
Number of posts : 1702
Registration date : 2010-04-05

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have one kidney and a sleeve?   Anyone have one kidney and a sleeve? EmptySun 12 Jun 2011, 9:21 pm

Hi Emily

I will ask my surgeon and let him know too- they are a research practice as well.

As for being in a better position, I know that! I think its been the first time Ive been in hospital, and they havent had to make special arrangements for me because im so obese.

And, its the first time Ive been in hospital and they havent told me to lose weight.

:)

Moving around after the surgery will be easier I know.
Back to top Go down
Emily
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 1180
Registration date : 2010-04-12

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have one kidney and a sleeve?   Anyone have one kidney and a sleeve? EmptySun 12 Jun 2011, 9:04 pm

Yes I doubt it's occurred many times. One great thing is that if the kidney thing was going to happen, you are a much better anesthetic and surgical risk having lost so much weight with the sleeve, so recovery should be a lot smoother than it could have been.
Back to top Go down
PiercedMumma08
Top Poster
Top Poster
PiercedMumma08

Female

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have one kidney and a sleeve?   Anyone have one kidney and a sleeve? EmptySun 12 Jun 2011, 8:46 pm

Wow, im creating history?

YAY me! A bit of a sucky way to do it, but oh well.

OMG its a week today.
Back to top Go down
gottarhyme
Top Poster
Top Poster
gottarhyme

Female
Number of posts : 3826
Registration date : 2011-02-22

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have one kidney and a sleeve?   Anyone have one kidney and a sleeve? EmptySun 12 Jun 2011, 12:40 pm

I was worried no one would answer you.I think you are a special case. I tried to google your question, but I think that given the sleeve is not that common (compared with the lapband) there doesn't seem to be too much info out there. All I could find was that you will be fine with one kidney.

Confused

I would ask the surgeon if he has access to any research.
Back to top Go down
PiercedMumma08
Top Poster
Top Poster
PiercedMumma08

Female

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have one kidney and a sleeve?   Anyone have one kidney and a sleeve? EmptySun 12 Jun 2011, 12:34 pm

Yeah I know that.

Im not sure there's much research around the sleeve and one kidney is what I was getting at.

But i know what you mean- the surgeon said we can survive with 1/2 of one kidney.

Impressive.
Back to top Go down
gottarhyme
Top Poster
Top Poster
gottarhyme

Female
Number of posts : 3826
Registration date : 2011-02-22

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have one kidney and a sleeve?   Anyone have one kidney and a sleeve? EmptySun 12 Jun 2011, 12:11 pm

PM, I think that the body is an amazing thing, and that people survive with one kidney, after giving one away!

People can survive without a spleen, we can survive with 3/4 of our stomach gone. We can also survive having our liver replaced, or partially removed. You will be fine with one kidney.

I know you are scared. I hope everything goes well for you. *hugs*
Back to top Go down
PiercedMumma08
Top Poster
Top Poster
PiercedMumma08

Female

PostSubject: Anyone have one kidney and a sleeve?   Anyone have one kidney and a sleeve? EmptySun 12 Jun 2011, 3:34 am

Just wondering if you have one kidney..... what's its like if you have a sleeve?

This will be me in 8 days.

Any suggestions?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have one kidney and a sleeve?   Anyone have one kidney and a sleeve? Empty

Back to top Go down

Anyone have one kidney and a sleeve?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: Welcome! :: Welcomes, Introductions & General Chit Chat :: General Chat-
Jump to: