Australian Gastric Sleeve Support Forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Who does band to sleeve in one go in Victoria?

Go down 
+2
Garfield99
Lastchance
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Garfield99
Part of the furniture
Garfield99

Female
Number of posts : 416
Registration date : 2012-02-15

Who does band to sleeve in one go in Victoria? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Who does band to sleeve in one go in Victoria?   Who does band to sleeve in one go in Victoria? EmptyThu 04 Sep 2014, 11:58 am

Well Allycia should be done and dusted and hopefully recovering smoothly by now.  I am looking forward to hearing your comprehensive experience and journey that you can share with us :-)

Wonder if you also looked into plastics/cosmetic procedures whilst you were there too.  Be really interested to know.
Back to top Go down
Char26
Char26

Female
Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2014-09-04

PostSubject: Prof O'Brien   Who does band to sleeve in one go in Victoria? EmptyThu 04 Sep 2014, 11:16 am

Professor Paul O'Brien does the band to sleeve revision in one procedure. I am having that done in about 2 weeks. He believes the risk is offset by the risk of two general anaesthetics.
Back to top Go down
Garfield99
Part of the furniture
Garfield99

Female

PostSubject: Re: Who does band to sleeve in one go in Victoria?   Who does band to sleeve in one go in Victoria? EmptyThu 07 Aug 2014, 3:03 pm

Allycia wrote:
I'm having my band to sleeve in one op. I'm travelling to mexico for this. I've done months of research and very happy with my decision. I've had a cat scan , X-ray and about to undergo and endoscopy to assess for any possible erosion next week. If that's all good I'll be flying out in 2 weeks. Very excited.  I'm also self paying this, I understand people may not agree but I'm fully informed, have researched this and actually know and spoken to other Aussies that have been.

I am seriously interested in hearing about your experience so please keep us posted for the entire journey!  I had mine in Thailand by their 'top surgeon' who is 'world renowned' and had apparently practiced bariatric surgery including in Australia.  I should of done more research and realised when he kept talking about the bypass over the sleeve, even showing me pics of 'his clients' but wasn't interested in taking any pics of me as a before and after.  Regrettably my sleeve failed (he cut too far in causing the stomach to kink over near the connection to the intestines) so I had emergency bypass back in Australia. 

Had no idea that was the problem and thought it was normal to be regularly throwing up and my general dizziness was from the pain killers.  By the time I finally took myself to emergency I was so weak and if I had left it another day I would of been dead due to organ failure.  It took me 3 months to recover.  Even worse, I then had to have a bypass revision as they then made the entry too big so nothing was staying in my stomach - just going straight through.  I was turned away from 2 surgeons who didn't know what to do to fix me.  I finally found a surgeon that didn't know but wasn't going to turn me away, he said I'm going to an international bariatric conference oversees, this is a case I want to present and get some information.  His offices called me before he had even returned saying they had a solution for me.  I was lucky.

But it hasn't turned me off from overseas surgery and I've heard really positive things about all types of surgery in Mexico.  So please, don't be afraid to share your experience, information and tips :-)
Back to top Go down
Allycia

Female
Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2014-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Who does band to sleeve in one go in Victoria?   Who does band to sleeve in one go in Victoria? EmptyThu 07 Aug 2014, 12:41 pm

Thanks willowgirl, that's really nice to hear.
Back to top Go down
Willowgirl
Part of the furniture
Willowgirl

Female
Number of posts : 526
Registration date : 2014-06-23

PostSubject: Allycia   Who does band to sleeve in one go in Victoria? EmptyThu 07 Aug 2014, 11:59 am

Allycia we are only here to support you not judge you. You are a fully grown adult who is capable of researching and making up your own mind so all the very best for your operation, good for you.
Back to top Go down
Allycia

Female
Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2014-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Who does band to sleeve in one go in Victoria?   Who does band to sleeve in one go in Victoria? EmptyThu 07 Aug 2014, 10:06 am

I'm having my band to sleeve in one op. I'm travelling to mexico for this. I've done months of research and very happy with my decision. I've had a cat scan , X-ray and about to undergo and endoscopy to assess for any possible erosion next week. If that's all good I'll be flying out in 2 weeks. Very excited. I'm also self paying this, I understand people may not agree but I'm fully informed, have researched this and actually know and spoken to other Aussies that have been.
Back to top Go down
Willowgirl
Part of the furniture
Willowgirl

Female
Number of posts : 526
Registration date : 2014-06-23

PostSubject: Check out my Bariatric Centre   Who does band to sleeve in one go in Victoria? EmptySat 19 Jul 2014, 12:11 pm

Check out my Bariatric Centre, I think they might do band to sleeve.

www.lapsurgeryaustralia.com.au/
Back to top Go down
ames78
ames78

Female
Number of posts : 106
Registration date : 2014-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Who does band to sleeve in one go in Victoria?   Who does band to sleeve in one go in Victoria? EmptySat 19 Jul 2014, 12:05 pm

Have you spoken with the surgeon who performed the band operation?

I've had 3 lapbands....and spoke to my surgeon about 2-3mths ago.....and 3 weeks ago I had the band removed & the sleeve performed. (This may sound all very rushed, but Ive had 3 lapbands over the course of 12 years....so was pretty convinced about having the sleeve done.)

I would truly go on the advise of your surgeon, (& perhaps your GP if you have a good relationship.) No surgeon would risk doing the surgery if it meant it would fail; ruin their reputation; or cause you damage/harm. They have a duty of care. I was very honest with him & was at my wits end.....and whilst lapband is his speciality, he does perform sleeves on his patients who've had issues with the band.

Cheers
Amy (Ames78)
Back to top Go down
Garfield99
Part of the furniture
Garfield99

Female

PostSubject: Re: Who does band to sleeve in one go in Victoria?   Who does band to sleeve in one go in Victoria? EmptySun 22 Jun 2014, 3:33 pm

I'm not in Victoria so can't help you there but I used to have the band, waited the 3 months and got the sleeve (which unfortunately effed up and I needed emergency bypass - another story).

There are several reasons why many surgeons will insist on you have the 3 month break between.  Apart from all the scarring that nasty op causes, it also puts your stomach in an unnatural position, so giving it 3 months to adjust back to normal position makes doing the sleeving much easier for the surgeon and it's quicker recovery time for you.  Also you may of already heard band to sleeve patients find their weightloss slower, so giving your body in between a break, set it back to a normal metabolism, enjoy a burger or even a salad since you simply can't eat one with one in!!

There is only 1 person I know that had the 2 ops at the same time and it's pretty much failed.  He will need to go back for revision but feels so depressed that it's his own fault he hasn't gone back yet.  He used the same surgeon (a reputable one) that his daughter used, but she had the 3 month break and is now a sexy svelte 63kg whilst he has put on more weight instead, hence his depression and self blame.

I can understand the frustration with the band - it sucks and they advertise it so well, eat anything you want but just make sure you chew really well and you will only be able to eat small portions.  Load of crap.  More like throwing up anything healthy and surviving on sliders!  Now a lot of Dr's are agreeing the sleeve is the way to go, or in extreme cases (which I would never recommend) the bypass.

Rather then focusing on rushing through to your next journey, focus on making sure you choose a really good surgeon that has a good reputation, one you can connect with and know if things go wrong, he will be there.  Enjoy the 3 months break - rarely you will be told to do opti again before the surgery so allow your body that time to heal and your stomach to revert back to it's normal shape again.  Enjoy some of the foods previously denied to you because you may not get to have them again (I say may, because the sleeve doesn't work for everyone if they don't work hard themselves to maintain their diet).  

The first 3-4 months is easy, you are not hungry and weight drops off with no effort.  Then the stalls kick in and things get harder and you get hungrier - so thats when you need to work with your dietitian & surgeon, even a psychologist to make sure you are continually making good choices.  As you know, the band can fail.  So can the sleeve and the bypass - so do your research and make sure you make the right decisions for YOU!  And most of all - never compare yourself to anyone else, this is your journey, your body and it will react it's own way.  Just look after you :-)
Back to top Go down
Lastchance

Female
Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2014-06-21

PostSubject: Who does band to sleeve in one go in Victoria?   Who does band to sleeve in one go in Victoria? EmptySun 22 Jun 2014, 12:02 am

Hey everyone,

I am only new to this site but and after some advice on who does band to sleeve in one surgery (no fill in band currently) in Melbourne or Victoria?
Due to complications & pregnancy I have had nothing in band for 12 months - hoping this will help with only having one surgery.
Thanks heaps
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Who does band to sleeve in one go in Victoria?   Who does band to sleeve in one go in Victoria? Empty

Back to top Go down

Who does band to sleeve in one go in Victoria?
Page 1 of 1