AuthorMessage
Garfield99
Part of the furniture
Garfield99

Female
Number of posts : 416
Registration date : 2012-02-15

Perth Band to Sleeve convert  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Perth Band to Sleeve convert    Perth Band to Sleeve convert  EmptyWed 30 Jul 2014, 3:23 am

Glad you are getting your band out if it's causing you problems, especially restriction with no fill!  The first thing I did was when I got my band out was go to HJ's and ordered an Aussie Burger only to find out they didn't make them anymore!  So I got the bacon burger and to eat without restriction - Heavenly!!!  I put on about 10kgs waiting for my sleeve because I ate everything I couldn't before - especially chicken!  KFC was becoming a weekly habit lol but my surgeon wasn't worried as apparently when they do the band they lift part of your stomach up into an unnatural position so letting it go back to normal during that time helps.

Fingers crossed on the super and everything goes smoothly for you :-)
Back to top Go down
ally1972

Female
Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2014-06-30

PostSubject: updates   Perth Band to Sleeve convert  EmptyTue 29 Jul 2014, 5:10 am

Hi Ladies,
Well looks like its been pretty quiet on here, I thought I'd post and update.
I had to change my surgery date, so now its locked in for the 19th August - band removal. Hoping for sleeve surgery in mid nov.
Putting forms in this week to access super funds....Not sure how that will go as we earn good income but have a lot of commitments so its hard to save, otherwise have to wait 10months for my health fund as I didn't have high enough cover.
Having a lot of issues from my band recently, it has no fill but at times very restrictive and if I vomit it feels like my stomach is vibrating. Sometimes bending can bring this on. I have had a ct scan and xray which has ruled out slippage, doctor wanted to do endoscopy buy Ive decided against this.

Anyway, whats been happening with everyone,
How are you going Laura?

Ally
Back to top Go down
LauraM

Female
Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2011-07-18

PostSubject: Re: Perth Band to Sleeve convert    Perth Band to Sleeve convert  EmptySun 06 Jul 2014, 11:18 pm

I had my last op at the Mount - it is freezing there! I already said to hubby I'm taking an extra blanket! 
No PCA this time. I will get it for the sleeve but not for this op. TBH other than the gas for my first op I found it more uncomfy than painful so hopefully it's the same this time. I get horribly sickafter anaesthetic too! Luckily this is well known given the number of surgeries I've had so I get the anti emetics straight up. Thank goodness!! 
Haha yep I learnt the pillow trick 9 years ago after my first band op!! It make a difference on that first car trip for sure! 
Thanks for all the advice, it's a good reminder for me xx
Back to top Go down
Garfield99
Part of the furniture
Garfield99

Female

PostSubject: Re: Perth Band to Sleeve convert    Perth Band to Sleeve convert  EmptySun 06 Jul 2014, 9:34 pm

You will be pleased with The Mount especially if you get a private room (insist on by saying you have sleeping issues or some other excuses) and if they can't get you one straight away, ask nicely at the nurses desk when you get up to the ward as soon as there is one available, you will be switched over because you have sleeping problems :-)
The views are simply beautiful of the lake and it's surprisingly quiet night time.  You have a little balcony and a chair but being winter you probably won't take advantage of that.  Importantly, the nurses are great there!  Experienced with Obesity Surgery, non judgmental, supportive, friendly you are not left waiting for AGES like some other hospitals.

Ask your anesthetist if you have the PCA, which is a button hooked which you can press every 5 mins for the pain.  Makes a huge difference so you can get up and start doing bog laps around the hospital (get that gas out too super quick).  I was up and walking around 30mins after I woke up.  I had a lady anesthetist who was brilliant, told her I suffered from nausea so she started pumping with me anti-nausea the moment I went under as said she noted a difference in recovery when doing that and she was right - not a moment of nausea!!

The only think I did notice negative at The Mount (and it's such a pathetic negative but with the current weather and all) it was cold.  So I had another thick blankey brought in for me.  You will be travelling a bit of distance so might be a good idea to bring one with you :-)  Oh and have pillow for your trip home to hold against your tummy under your seatbelt (you will thank me for that one later) :-)  Although you prob know most of the rest of the tricks getting the lapband in the first place so won't bore you :-) xo
Back to top Go down
LauraM

Female

PostSubject: Re: Perth Band to Sleeve convert    Perth Band to Sleeve convert  EmptySun 06 Jul 2014, 2:17 pm

Thanks Garfield99. I've been with Dr Padovan for years, I wouldn't see anyone else! You are right it's all down to personal preference. 
I am all good with PHI and getting both band removal & sleeve done at the Mount. 
I'm getting nervous now! Yikes!
Back to top Go down
Garfield99
Part of the furniture
Garfield99

Female

PostSubject: Re: Perth Band to Sleeve convert    Perth Band to Sleeve convert  EmptySun 06 Jul 2014, 12:06 pm

Hi All,

Just wanted to offer some advice as I have both those surgeons (but my is Dr fav is Cohen lol)

Helen - as for the pain you are experiencing, can you please please please go get a scan for your gallbladder?  That is how mine started until it got worse and worse until I wake up during the night, crawl to my ensuite and vomit (even when there was nothing left then try to get painkillers down, lying on the cold tiles until I would eventually pass out.  The pain can be contributing to a stone passing which causes immense pain, hence you need the painkillers and you will be experienced enough to know it's not gas pain as that is usually in the shoulders :-)

Laura, Dr Padovan is brilliant surgeon too so you will be happy with him.  He took my band out publicly at Mandurah Hospital so ask him if he still does that whilst you are waiting for PHI to kick in.
If he doesn't anymore, ask him to recommend someone as he knows the sleeve done publicly is at leave a 5yr wait and you will be going back to him for the sleeve :-)  As for third band procedure - you are one tough cookie!  I threw it all in after 10 months saying this band isn't going to work for me.  The surgeon (won't mention the assholes name here) agreed to take it out but refused to do the sleeve as even I was still considered obese, I wasn't considered overly obese (by about 3kg).  I've also heard he isn't so well respected in the general obesity community in general anyway, so glad I found another surgeon that listens and understands - but it's all personal choice on who you choose and bond with.

As for not getting the surgery in Bunbury - totally support you there.  I think that is where Veronica Simcoe (on this site) had it done and has had non stop issues ever since.  She came to Perth to see another surgeon who basically washed his hands of her (I was shocked as I had used that surgeon before and he was brilliant!) but things may have changed in the last few years.  I know some surgeons are reluctant to touch other surgeon patients but the way she got treated was pathetic which I was extremely disappointed to hear as he was so good with me.

All the very best of luck ladies x
Back to top Go down
Sidcharli

Female
Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2014-04-12

PostSubject: Re: Perth Band to Sleeve convert    Perth Band to Sleeve convert  EmptyWed 02 Jul 2014, 2:38 pm

Hi Ladies
Ally
I understand what you are saying about one surgeon doing your procedures unfortunately I had one for the band in and out and having a different one for the sleeve Like I said to laura before Im am here if you want to talk along with all the wonderful people on the site.
By the way don't you know to wear light clothes and no boots for weigh in!!!!! maybe you wont need surgery if you loose your boots haha

Laura
You had a bad run with the band, as they say things can only get better
don't stress!!!!

If you ladies want to read some more go to Dairy read others journeys some of the people are hilarious and you get great tips to help you. and my dribble is on there too under "my journey again........."

Helen
Back to top Go down
LauraM

Female

PostSubject: Re: Perth Band to Sleeve convert    Perth Band to Sleeve convert  EmptyWed 02 Jul 2014, 1:57 pm

Haha Helen! A between the boobs punch sounds delightful!! 
I am on my second band and third band related surgery - between my first and second band I had to have a tube and port replacement as Dr Cohen let his trainee loose on me and she missed my port and hit the tubing while attempting to fill me!  Perth Band to Sleeve convert  427584 

I am super familiar with port pain but the darn gas it what kills me every time! Hoping I escape this time. 
I only work a desk job so hoping I will be ok plus my boss is easy going if I need more time.
Thanks for the offer of support. I know I will be terrified as I get closer - I'm always convinced in going to die on the table! The perils of motherhood!! 

Ally - my sleeve will be early Oct so we will be on the losers path together hopefully! 

So good to have some others to talk to about it all! 
xx
Back to top Go down
ally1972

Female

PostSubject: Re: Perth Band to Sleeve convert    Perth Band to Sleeve convert  EmptyWed 02 Jul 2014, 1:44 pm

Hi Ladies,
Looking forward to hearing how your sleeve surgery goes as I won't be able to have mine until mid october. My band is planned for removal in mid July, although date to be confirmed as I don't have private health insurance so its super or finding money somewhere 
 Perth Band to Sleeve convert  595690 

Helen, Im going with Dr Cohen as he originally put my band in and seems  very experienced with sleeves. He's done a fair few, which means less chance of mistakes or complications on me. Ive never had a problem with him, or any complications in surgery. 
Although I'm in Bunbury, I don't know any surgeons down here that solely do Bariatric surgery/sleeves and some may have issues taking a band out from another surgeon. 

Anyway I'm so excited to feel there is hope...
My weight is currently 106kg, mind you thats fully dressed with boots, ha ha ha...... and of course on the doctors scales on mine...so sad
Back to top Go down
Sidcharli

Female

PostSubject: Re: Perth Band to Sleeve convert    Perth Band to Sleeve convert  EmptyWed 02 Jul 2014, 1:42 pm

Laura,
No gas pain lucky me. I would say the pain was like someone punched you between the boobs, or another example when your kids give you a running hug. When you breath deeply it hurt (did I scare you) It wasn't too bad really some days you forget the pain, some days you need painkillers. As for work if you have a heavy job it might get a bit too much. You know your own body just take it easy when you can, maybe your recovery time will be sitting down reading with kids. Its now closer than yesterday, you will be fine with Dr Padovan. my sister was banded by him 18 mths ago she is one of the success stories lost heaps of weight and she thinks he is wonderful. I will keep checking in if you need to talk don't be afraid to ask.
Helen.
Back to top Go down
LauraM

Female

PostSubject: Re: Perth Band to Sleeve convert    Perth Band to Sleeve convert  EmptyWed 02 Jul 2014, 7:01 am

Thanks Helen,
How was the gas pain this time? I had awful shoulder pain after ops in the past.
My port hurts now - i get muscle spasms around it. Not looking forward to the sorness after. Did you find it stopped you doing stuff? I have only got 5 days off work (Wednesday - the day of surgery through to Sunday) plus i have two small kids who will no doubt try and bounce off me! lol
Eeek, its not long away! Getting nervous
xxx
Back to top Go down
Sidcharli

Female

PostSubject: Re: Perth Band to Sleeve convert    Perth Band to Sleeve convert  EmptyTue 01 Jul 2014, 9:11 am

Laura,
Staying pretty much the same weight I got too for surgery . Even though the dr said I didn't have to, I went on opti for 8 days before the band came out (lost 4 kgs and felt good )and continued one a day post op for about a week. Where the port was hurt post op because they have to tear it away from your insides. sounds gross but it was very tender for about 3-4 weeks and your body has to heal from any damaged caused. I found eating sometimes painful and I still cant eat rice, and am still only eating small quantites . It is getting better. I have no intention of putting any more weight back on I know its easy to say but I am trying so hard. My band was only in for six years, yours a bit longer, maybe your removal wont hurt as bad as mine did but sometimes it still feels likes it is still in there. Here's hoping when they go to sleeve they don't find too much damage. Only 7 days to go till no band bet your exited. Good Luck
Helen
Back to top Go down
LauraM

Female

PostSubject: Re: Perth Band to Sleeve convert    Perth Band to Sleeve convert  EmptyTue 01 Jul 2014, 3:33 am

Hi ladies,
Good to know others are doing it too! I thought about a sleeve in 2011 but was convinced to keep trying with my band - wish I had just gone for it! 
I use to be with Dr Cohen too but had issues with him so moved to Dr Padovan. 
Best of luck with your revisions! I'm getting nervous now for my band removal next week. 
Helen have you found you are putting on weight? I so do to want that to happen but I guess it often does if the band comes out. 
Laura
Back to top Go down
Sidcharli

Female

PostSubject: Re: Perth Band to Sleeve convert    Perth Band to Sleeve convert  EmptyTue 01 Jul 2014, 3:14 am

Hi Laura and Ally,
After six years I had my band removed 14.4.2014 I am waiting for a sleeve date. The Dr said s/be September. Looking forward to it and have finally got my head in the right place. Ally why r u going to Perth for the revision? sticky beak I know but just curious. Good luck with your journeys girls.
Helen
Back to top Go down
ally1972

Female

PostSubject: Band to Sleeve revision   Perth Band to Sleeve convert  EmptyMon 30 Jun 2014, 9:29 pm

Hi LauraM,
I too have had my band for 9 years and about to visit Dr Cohen for revision to sleeve. I was going to do this a couple of years ago but put it off and wish I hadnt. I also wish I could have it all done in one op, but I understand why its not done in one op especially when the band has been in for so long.
Are there any others out there that are about to go from band to sleeve in the next few months,
Would love to hear from you,
Ally
Back to top Go down
LauraM

Female

PostSubject: Perth Band to Sleeve convert    Perth Band to Sleeve convert  EmptyTue 10 Jun 2014, 12:20 pm

Hello All, 
I am a Bandster of 9 years and have had lots of ups and downs with it so have finally booked to have my revision. Band comes out 9th July and three months later - all being well - I get sleeved. 
It's all being done by the great Dr Padovan :)
Id love to hear from fellow revisioners in Perth of new sleeves getting done around the same time. 
I've read up a lot and think I know what to expect but always good to have support. 
Here are my stats:
Starting weight 2005 106kg
Lowest weight 2007 63kg
Highest weight banded (pregnant) 2010 96kg
Current weight 2014 86kg - BMI 32
Goal 60kg
Height 163cm
Thanks 
Laura
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Perth Band to Sleeve convert    Perth Band to Sleeve convert  Empty

Back to top Go down

Perth Band to Sleeve convert
Page 1 of 1