15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
gus3232

Male
Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2013-07-09

Why will this work? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Why will this work?   Why will this work? - Page 2 EmptyWed 17 Jul 2013, 2:47 am

First topic message reminder :

Hello people

Just curious as to why getting my band out and taking up the sleeve option will work where the band hasn't?

It appears as though most of the people here making the change have lost at least a fair amount of weight since being banded. I however, have not.

I haven't had major issues apart from once not being able to even get fluid down, which was quickly fixed with a minimum of fuss.

My biggest problem is that I can still eat too much before I feel full and the feeling of hunger rarely goes away. It will also reappear way too quickly after the feeling of being full.

I am trying to soak in as much information as I can before I go ahead and do this.

A factor weighing on me also is that my wife is due to be sleeved this coming Monday (22nd) and I am feeling that if we are both 'in the same boat', things will be easier in terms of support, meal prep etc.

Thank you to all that post, it is incredibly helpful to those of us looking for answers and unsure of a few things.
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
gus3232

PostSubject: Re: Why will this work?   Why will this work? - Page 2 EmptyMon 07 Oct 2013, 10:39 pm

Going well, just REALLY hating the feeling of being hungry.

I have a feeling that the sleeve is going to be inevitable, and that really both frightens and disappoints me.
Back to top Go down
kazbo

Female
Number of posts : 95
Registration date : 2012-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Why will this work?   Why will this work? - Page 2 EmptyFri 04 Oct 2013, 10:21 am

gus3232 wrote:
I am officially unbanded. For three days.
Congrats!

how are things going?
Back to top Go down
gus3232

Male

PostSubject: Re: Why will this work?   Why will this work? - Page 2 EmptyThu 03 Oct 2013, 2:31 pm

I am officially unbanded. For three days.
Back to top Go down
Neeceyrose

Female
Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2013-09-12

PostSubject: Re: Why will this work?   Why will this work? - Page 2 EmptyFri 20 Sep 2013, 10:33 am

Hi Unbanded. I can relate to your feelings. My band came out in June after a roller coaster 7 years. Almost drove myself nuts with inner turmoil about whether to go for the sleeve. However, I just know the weight will sky rocket and I will repeat all of my yo-yo dieting from the past. So, bit the bullet and had my surgery on Tuesday this week. Still feeling a bit unsettled but I really know I have done the right thing. I lost 9 kilos on my 2 weeks of Opitfast (if I never see another Optifast shake it will be too soon!). I only spent 2 nights in hospital and was off all pain mess by day 2 so I think I am doing ok s far. Fingers crossed and good luck to everyone else going through this journey.
Back to top Go down
Unbanded

Female
Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2013-09-10

PostSubject: Re: Why will this work?   Why will this work? - Page 2 EmptySat 14 Sep 2013, 8:54 am

Thanks juicyjo & kazbo . My Hubby is excited as well & very supportive . I think that's important because its a anxious time . Keep you posted . Band tight today , pressure in chest .
Back to top Go down
Juicyjo
Juicyjo

Female
Number of posts : 181
Registration date : 2013-07-27

PostSubject: Re: Why will this work?   Why will this work? - Page 2 EmptySat 14 Sep 2013, 5:13 am

that's great! ;)
Back to top Go down
kazbo

Female

PostSubject: Re: Why will this work?   Why will this work? - Page 2 EmptySat 14 Sep 2013, 3:12 am

excitement plus!!
Back to top Go down
Unbanded

Female

PostSubject: Re: Why will this work?   Why will this work? - Page 2 EmptyFri 13 Sep 2013, 11:53 am

Removal of band & port booked for 10th October . I feel like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders , so it's the right thing to do . Actually excited now .
Back to top Go down
kazbo

Female

PostSubject: Re: Why will this work?   Why will this work? - Page 2 EmptyTue 10 Sep 2013, 10:49 pm

btgirl wrote:
I had my band removed in March and was sleeved in June, all has gone well and I am slowly losing my weight. Ex banders seem to lose at a slower rate that virgin sleevers.
I have lost 15.5 Kgs and was sleeved about ten weeks ago.
Love Btgirl
Hi Btgirl

15.5 kgs is AWESOME! I really hope I can post up results like that!
Back to top Go down
kazbo

Female

PostSubject: Re: Why will this work?   Why will this work? - Page 2 EmptyTue 10 Sep 2013, 10:48 pm

Unbanded wrote:
Hi kazoo , thanks for that . I understand what your saying . I'm just anxious & nervous , had enough ' you know the story . I'm thinking I would like to have band out & sleeve at same time so that I don't undergo 2 anaesthetics . I will keep an eye on this forum because its so good to chat to others who are or have been going through it . Tentative date for band is 25th September , or 10th October . Will keep in touch . Have a great week :):):)
let us know how you go!

The idea of 2 elective surgeries in a few short months doesn't excite me either, but if it means a safer, more successful operation then it's worth it.
Back to top Go down
btgirl
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 874
Registration date : 2012-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Why will this work?   Why will this work? - Page 2 EmptyTue 10 Sep 2013, 12:54 pm

I had my band removed in March and was sleeved in June, all has gone well and I am slowly losing my weight. Ex banders seem to lose at a slower rate that virgin sleevers.
I have lost 15.5 Kgs and was sleeved about ten weeks ago.
Love Btgirl
Back to top Go down
Unbanded

Female

PostSubject: Re: Why will this work?   Why will this work? - Page 2 EmptyTue 10 Sep 2013, 11:30 am

Hi kazoo , thanks for that . I understand what your saying . I'm just anxious & nervous , had enough ' you know the story . I'm thinking I would like to have band out & sleeve at same time so that I don't undergo 2 anaesthetics . I will keep an eye on this forum because its so good to chat to others who are or have been going through it . Tentative date for band is 25th September , or 10th October . Will keep in touch . Have a great week :):):)
Back to top Go down
kazbo

Female

PostSubject: Re: Why will this work?   Why will this work? - Page 2 EmptyTue 10 Sep 2013, 9:06 am

Unbanded wrote:
Hello Everyone , very excited to be on this forum & have support from like minded people . I was banded in April 2009 at 118kgs , was a textbook case , all went well . My weight steadily came off & I got down to 85kgs . I was so happy & proud . My medical profile , BP , blood sugars  , cholesterol etc all dramatically improved . I also have anxiety & depression requiring medication . I feel that I have failed my band , as I now have put on weight & at my surgeons rooms today we discussed having band out as I'm vomiting 1/2 times week & on days when I'm feeling off I can't eat. I now weigh 105kgs . I think I will have band out as family is sick of seeing me vomit . We discussed Gastric Sleeve . Need to wait 3 months in between . I'm so nervous :(:(:(. .im an ex-nurse & had enough . I feel I should be able to have band out & do it without sleeve ???? Wishful thinking . Any advice or similar situations & outcomes would be greatly appreciated  . Bless & thank you
I'm having the same thoughts - can I do it without further surgery? Honestly, I don't think so - I just have a MASSIVE appetite and capacity to eat!

Ideally we wouldn't need surgical intervention, but some of us do. At least we have the option! and you don't have to rush into anything in any case. My band is coming out on 7 November and then I will be getting the sleeve after 3 months.
Back to top Go down
Unbanded

Female

PostSubject: Re: Why will this work?   Why will this work? - Page 2 EmptyTue 10 Sep 2013, 7:08 am

Hello Everyone , very excited to be on this forum & have support from like minded people . I was banded in April 2009 at 118kgs , was a textbook case , all went well . My weight steadily came off & I got down to 85kgs . I was so happy & proud . My medical profile , BP , blood sugars , cholesterol etc all dramatically improved . I also have anxiety & depression requiring medication . I feel that I have failed my band , as I now have put on weight & at my surgeons rooms today we discussed having band out as I'm vomiting 1/2 times week & on days when I'm feeling off I can't eat. I now weigh 105kgs . I think I will have band out as family is sick of seeing me vomit . We discussed Gastric Sleeve . Need to wait 3 months in between . I'm so nervous :(:(:(. .im an ex-nurse & had enough . I feel I should be able to have band out & do it without sleeve ???? Wishful thinking . Any advice or similar situations & outcomes would be greatly appreciated . Bless & thank you
Back to top Go down
gus3232

Male

PostSubject: Re: Why will this work?   Why will this work? - Page 2 EmptySat 24 Aug 2013, 4:11 pm

I am booked in for September 30 to get the band removed. My wife was sleeved on July 22 and is losing weight at a steady pace.
Back to top Go down
OzChick78
OzChick78

Female
Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2013-04-13

PostSubject: Re: Why will this work?   Why will this work? - Page 2 EmptySun 21 Jul 2013, 10:48 pm

Well said Trishah,

I had my band removed in April and I am now 12 days post sleeve op.

My band was done 8 years ago, and I only ever lost about 13kg and then stacked on more due to eating slider foods.

My surgeon said the 10 year stats are now coming to light, and that it was not as successful as it was hoped to be.

Many are putting the weight back on.

You will not regret the sleeve and it would be great that you and the good lady wife share he experience for support.

I'm very lucky in that I have my sister who is 10 weeks post op.  she was our guinea pig.   I can now ask lots of questions and seek her advice, such as last night, when I was shocked that I was able to eat a whole potato, mashes of course.

She was there to reassure me that somedays I will eat more, and other days eat less.

But I'm so happy for the one on one support from her.

You def will not regret a sleeve.
Back to top Go down
~Trishah~
Top Poster
Top Poster
~Trishah~

Female
Number of posts : 1954
Registration date : 2012-04-15

PostSubject: Re: Why will this work?   Why will this work? - Page 2 EmptyWed 17 Jul 2013, 4:01 am

when I had my band I was still hungry but just in pain when I over ate...or even ate a little.

With the sleeve I am rarely hungry and if I am its usually in my head and I am honestly sated ( like I have eaten a baked dinner) afte a half cup of food. I dont feel like eating more and am satisfied and happy...with the band this was never ever the case.

I have found my palate has changed and I much prefer normal food to junk food... I have not desired kfc, macca etc since being sleeved. I did have KFC once but I wasnt enjoying it after a few mouthfuls so I just dont bother finishing it.

Now when we go to maccas I much prefer a nice long black coffee with a splash of milk than anything else and I never feel cheated by not having more.

Now food is a survival thing for me and not a social or emotiona thing, I feeeeel my stomach and can eat only if I am hungry and not just for the hell of it or for entertainment.... I no longer live to eat....I eat to live and I am very happy. In fact I rarely think of my next meal and find the thought of preparing food a chore now not a joy.

You simply can not compare the band to the sleeve...the sleeve is as I have said many many times before, everything we were promised the band would be but wasnt.

I have never regreted my decision.
Back to top Go down
bluebags
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female
Number of posts : 2204
Registration date : 2013-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Why will this work?   Why will this work? - Page 2 EmptyWed 17 Jul 2013, 3:55 am

Gus although I have not had the band I have spoken to many who have gone from band to sleeve.  The sleeve is quite different to the band you simply cannot put in a lot of food and if you try the pain will be so bad you will not rush to do it again.  Also at the time of the op they remove the part of the stomach that has the hormone Grehlin in it it controls hunger and although it does eventually come back in the beginning means that at least you don't actually feel hunger.  I am now 2mths post op and yes I do get head hunger but my stomach is not actually hungry. 

I think with any form of diet our old habits get in the way of total success thats why we seesaw in weight. Eating out of habit stress and boredom.  Most surgeons recommend a psychologist to help with that I have now made appointments with one for that very reason. I think you should look for statistics surrounding the long term success of the band as many people do fail to reach there goal and to maintain it as the band can be overriding by the use of more liquid foods.  Remember you still have the lower part of your stomach.  With the sleeve and bypass that is not the case hence they have greater long term success.

The fact that your partner is having the op soon it would be ideal to have it together the food prep the support both striving to reach the same goals in the same way.  The added bonus with the sleeve is no adjustments and no barred foods after around 3mths.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why will this work?   Why will this work? - Page 2 EmptyWed 17 Jul 2013, 3:41 am

gus3232 wrote:
Hello people

Just curious as to why getting my band out and taking up the sleeve option will work where the band hasn't?

My biggest problem is that I can still eat too much before I feel full and the feeling of hunger rarely goes away. It will also reappear way too quickly after the feeling of being full.
 When you are banded you still have your full stomach sitting there under your band. A lot of people "cheat" the band by having non solid food so they can still fill up their normal stomach which is still there under the pouch. 
eg fill up on scrambled eggs which slide through the band very easily. 

One of the main reasons the sleeve works where the band doesn't is that the pouch IS the stomach. That stops the feeling of fullness fading too fast.

Also the hunger hormone part of the stomach is removed in the sleeve surgery so you don't have that constant "I'm hungry" feeling.

Have you been with your wife when she has gone to see the surgeon? They really do explain the differences between the available surgeries very well and are happy to answer every question you have.
Back to top Go down
gus3232

Male

PostSubject: Why will this work?   Why will this work? - Page 2 EmptyWed 17 Jul 2013, 2:47 am

Hello people

It appears as though most of the people here making the change have lost at least a fair amount of weight since being banded. I however, have not.

I haven't had major issues apart from once not being able to even get fluid down, which was quickly fixed with a minimum of fuss.

I am trying to soak in as much information as I can before I go ahead and do this.

A factor weighing on me also is that my wife is due to be sleeved this coming Monday (22nd) and I am feeling that if we are both 'in the same boat', things will be easier in terms of support, meal prep etc.

Thank you to all that post, it is incredibly helpful to those of us looking for answers and unsure of a few things.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why will this work?   Why will this work? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Why will this work?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2