Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
yodacat
yodacat

Female
Number of posts : 87
Registration date : 2011-07-27

Has anyone NOT had major complications? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Has anyone NOT had major complications?   Has anyone NOT had major complications? EmptyThu 08 Mar 2012, 11:23 pm

Ditto to J's comment. I've yet to meet a successful person that didn't take risks in life.
When comparing the risks with the sleeve, make sure its balanced with all the success stories.
I asked myself if I was prepared to gamble with my health (and future life) by not taking positive action to address my lifelong weight issue. I haven't looked back, even with a few little glitches along the way. Best decision I have made for me.

Back to top Go down
Caz
Sponsor
Caz

Female
Number of posts : 5909
Registration date : 2009-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone NOT had major complications?   Has anyone NOT had major complications? EmptyThu 08 Mar 2012, 10:53 pm

No complications when I was sleeved 3 years ago. Have maintained my weight now for over 2 years.

The worst thing that happened to me was a few "puking" sessions when I tried something to eat a little too early, but now I can eat anything, just not as much of it. How wonderful it is to be able to go to a coffee shop and order a pastry or something, take 2-3 bites and be totally satisfied to leave the rest or have someone else eat it. Getting the treats without the guilt!

Best thing I've ever done for myself, with the tummy tuck running a close second!

Now pity about my knee injury - but I didn't do that to myself. I hate out of control snowboarders!!!!!
Back to top Go down
J
Part of the furniture
J

Male
Number of posts : 761
Registration date : 2010-08-04

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone NOT had major complications?   Has anyone NOT had major complications? EmptyThu 08 Mar 2012, 5:28 am

Take the step forward and have the sleeve..

I know its a huge decision but don't let yourself mull over it for years to come and then regret not doing it sooner.

Back to top Go down
Nessa
Nessa

Female
Number of posts : 153
Registration date : 2012-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone NOT had major complications?   Has anyone NOT had major complications? EmptyThu 08 Mar 2012, 4:56 am

I've already seen my surgeon twice and like I said earlier, was due to see him last week but I guess I chickened out.

He would rather me have the sleeve, but just have to get my head around the thought of the process etc.
Back to top Go down
Ginka
Part of the furniture
Ginka

Female
Number of posts : 785
Registration date : 2012-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone NOT had major complications?   Has anyone NOT had major complications? EmptyThu 08 Mar 2012, 2:21 am

Although I have not yet been sleeved or banded, with the research I have done I would recommend the Sleeve over the band. When I spoke to my surgeon this week we discussed the pros and cons of both, as well as risk of the infamous 'leak'. He said if he had a choice for himself that he would do the 'Sleeve', over the 'Band'. From his perspective pre- banders had a higher chance of leaks due to thicker scar tissue where the band once was. But you need to do your own research as it is a BIG decision that cannot be made lightly. Also make sue you select a prestigious surgeon and ask them how many leaks his patients have had. Ask him about all of your concerns. My surgeon does 60 + sleeves per year and only had one person with a leak which was due to scar tissue from their prevous band.

Equip yourself with knowledge!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone NOT had major complications?   Has anyone NOT had major complications? EmptyWed 07 Mar 2012, 11:59 pm

Nessa I have had the band... I had it for 4 years...run...run very fast and dont stop till you get to a doctor that will sleeve you.

Seriously dont even consider the band... check the band to sleeve section
Back to top Go down
mj78
mj78

Female
Number of posts : 146
Registration date : 2012-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone NOT had major complications?   Has anyone NOT had major complications? EmptyWed 07 Mar 2012, 12:55 pm

Hey Nessa,

if you haven't already met with your surgeon I would encourage you to go and see them and ask more questions. I am yet to be sleeved (27/3/12), initially I was convinced I wanted the band, but having watched my close friend not be able to get sundried tomatoes down (that were mixed in with a chicken salad). She can't have a sandwich for goodness sake! I am the sort of person who needs to be able to have variety and qulaity of life, so to choose a surgical option that would stop me from eating things like bread, lettuce and steak, was not going to sit well with me and that is not even contemplating potential problems with the band etc. I was freaked out when it became clear that the sleeve would suit me better as I had not got my head around being OK with having a chunk of my stomach cut out, that seemed too drastic! But now, I realise I need something is permanent cos I've been fat since I was 6years old.

Some questions for you to mull over:

What sort of eating style do you have eg do you like to eat the same things everyday? Are you a contrary person - if someone/thing says you can't have a certain food, do you want it more? Do you get a low mood when on restrictive diets and get fed up quickly? If you can answer these, then talk over your style and expectations with your surgeon/s.

I went to 2 surgeons for individual consults as their communication style as well as their technical skill. But don't rush into any surgery, for weight loss or other reasons. It's major surgery, a big financial outlay and a big psychological shift. Sorry if I sound patronising in this entry, not my intention.

I hope you can get the answers you're looking for. Happy to chat more if you want Has anyone NOT had major complications? 697586
Back to top Go down
Nessa
Nessa

Female
Number of posts : 153
Registration date : 2012-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone NOT had major complications?   Has anyone NOT had major complications? EmptyWed 07 Mar 2012, 6:42 am

Thankyou to everyone for your replies. Everything has been very informative.

I was due to see my surgeon last Wednesday (29/2) but cancelled as I was still undecided as to which path I wish to take, though I'm heading towards the sleeve. I was tentatively booked for surgery on Tuesday 13/3.

I will keep y'all informed.
Back to top Go down
margd
Top Poster
Top Poster
margd

Female
Number of posts : 2628
Registration date : 2011-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone NOT had major complications?   Has anyone NOT had major complications? EmptyMon 05 Mar 2012, 10:42 am

I also agree with Firie,i to had Dr Taylor,he tells you how it is,i am only 3 weeks post op and doing well.
Back to top Go down
suzyhomemaker
suzyhomemaker

Female
Number of posts : 139
Registration date : 2011-07-19

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone NOT had major complications?   Has anyone NOT had major complications? EmptyMon 05 Mar 2012, 8:11 am

I second what Firie75 said. We had the same surgeon Has anyone NOT had major complications? 65317 A BIG part of choosing him was his track record and his honesty.

Do your research, go to information evenings, try to speak to people to get surgeon recommendations etc.
Back to top Go down
Firie75
Part of the furniture
Firie75

Female
Number of posts : 623
Registration date : 2011-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone NOT had major complications?   Has anyone NOT had major complications? EmptySun 04 Mar 2012, 5:57 am

Nope, no complications and doing very, very well. You should find when you do your research that the complications are actually not frequent. Yes there will be some who do get complications. ALL surgery has the potential risk of a complication, including the band. The band is considered 'safer' by some surgeons initially but if you read through some of the band to sleeve threads you will find complications start some time afterward with nasties such as erosion, slippage, adhesions etc.

When doing your research also take a look at the surgeons. What is their track record for complications like for leaks etc?. Do they participate in conferences and contribute to research papers on the sleeve (to increase and maintain their knowledge and skills)?. My surgeon so far has a zero leak record for the sleeve, however, even he stated to me that the statistics will happen somewhere to someone. I appreciated his honesty. I am glad to say I am not the statistic.
Back to top Go down
mamaraptor
Part of the furniture
mamaraptor

Female
Number of posts : 249
Registration date : 2011-11-12

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone NOT had major complications?   Has anyone NOT had major complications? EmptyThu 23 Feb 2012, 9:33 pm

No complications here what so ever! I am so blessed that it has been a really smooth ride! Nearly three months post op and feeling great!
Back to top Go down
jme143

Female
Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2012-02-22

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone NOT had major complications?   Has anyone NOT had major complications? EmptyWed 22 Feb 2012, 7:26 am

Don't worry darl. I had a gastric sleeve on a week ago and I feel fine. No complications, still a bit difficult to eat much because i'm still a bit swollen, but i was up and walking around within hours of the operation. I was SO scared, even on the day i didn't think i was going to even go through with it on the day. But i did. SO happy though. My mum has the band and has nothing but trouble, vomiting, terrible heart burn.
Back to top Go down
taueret
Part of the furniture
taueret

Female
Number of posts : 333
Registration date : 2011-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone NOT had major complications?   Has anyone NOT had major complications? EmptySun 19 Feb 2012, 1:39 am

hiya. My only "complication" was a hematoma (just a bruise really) near my biggest scar. It was nothing to worry about and went away- didn't hurt or anything. 7 months out I can eat and drink what I want. I feel like a normal person with a moderately small appetite.
Back to top Go down
Gen
Gen

Female
Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2011-08-03

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone NOT had major complications?   Has anyone NOT had major complications? EmptySun 19 Feb 2012, 1:19 am

No complications for me thankfully. 3.5 months out and the biggest problem I have had is remembering not to drink too soon after eating, I have vomited a couple of times when I have forgotten this. Best decision I have ever made to have this surgery, I have no regrets.
Back to top Go down
lovelyslim
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 894
Registration date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone NOT had major complications?   Has anyone NOT had major complications? EmptyFri 17 Feb 2012, 1:53 pm

Hi Nessa, all the very best ......... I love my Sleeve ...I waited 52weeks for my new stomach bcos of PHF ...... and i tell ya it's the best decision ever made ........
I feel fantastic ........ Stay positive and all will be Good .......
Back to top Go down
bintang
Part of the furniture
bintang

Female
Number of posts : 340
Registration date : 2011-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone NOT had major complications?   Has anyone NOT had major complications? EmptyFri 17 Feb 2012, 12:14 pm

Hi Nessa,
I have been sleeved for nearly 4 months (after being banded for 10 years). I am now only 1kg off being below my lowest banded weight and am loving my sleeve.
I did have lots of bleeding during surgery (they're not really sure why) and had lots of adhesions from band, port replacement (due to breakage only 1 month after surgery), band removal, gall bladder removal etc. so surgery took nearly 4 hours but my recovery was smooth and no other complications.

I have been exercising since 2 1/2 weeks post op, and am now going to Boot Camp and even doing some jogging. Basically I'm loving my sleeve, and most importantly LOVING LIFE!!! My weight loss has been slow and steady (not huge losses every week like some sleevers) but I have been putting on a lot of muscle so my progress isn't necessarily reflected on the scales. I am so much happier with the sleeve than I ever was with the band. I can eat everything but in smaller portions, have NEVER vomited from the sleeve (something that happened most days with the sleeve), no more need for fills to try to find the "sweet spot" (which I never did). More importantly, I now eat much healthier than I did with the band ... I don't survive on high calorie drinks and soft foods just to avoid the awful discomfort of food getting stuck.

Yes, complications can happen, but there are many very happy sleevers who have sailed through the whole journey. It's an individual choice and it's very important to be well informed and ask questions ... but in the end you and your surgeon are the only ones who can decide if the sleeve is right for YOU.

Good luck.
xxx
Back to top Go down
Kate
Top Poster
Top Poster
Kate

Female
Number of posts : 2162
Registration date : 2011-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone NOT had major complications?   Has anyone NOT had major complications? EmptyThu 16 Feb 2012, 12:31 pm

Hi Nessa, I was sleeved almost 6 months ago and do not regret it for one second. I have had no complications and have lost almost 40kg in this time. Pre sleeve I couldn't do a lot of things due to chronic back pain that I had been taking Oxycontin for, for 7 years. I still have some back pain but it is manageable with Panadol Osteo and I can do so much more than I could before. There is no more spending the day on the lounge because my back is aching or because I am just plain too tired to do anything. What I used to do in a week I can now do in a day. Read as much as you can from this wonderful forum and ask questions if you want, there is always someone here to help out. Obviously you need to seriously consider the complications that MAY occur but don't get fixated on them. Research your surgeon carefully and be completely comfortable and happy with whoever you choose. Good luck with everything.
Back to top Go down
Larns5
Larns5

Female
Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2011-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone NOT had major complications?   Has anyone NOT had major complications? EmptyThu 16 Feb 2012, 7:56 am

Hi Ness,

From somebody who DID have a major complication I can tell you that I am in the 1.4% complication catagory. So if you happen to be as unlucky as I was then I will be here ready and waiting to help the way I know how. Odds are that you will be in the 98.6% success catagory though.

:0)

Good luck with your choice and if you ever want to chat, just PM.

larns
Back to top Go down
Val 007
Part of the furniture
Val 007

Female
Number of posts : 728
Registration date : 2011-11-15

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone NOT had major complications?   Has anyone NOT had major complications? EmptyThu 16 Feb 2012, 6:37 am

Hi Nessa

Please dont go down the Lap Band Road. I was a Bandit for a year, and have just had my Band removed and will have a sleeve next month.

Anything has got to be better than the band. Bands have to run tight - which causes all sorts of problems - vomiting is the major one, no good foods to be consumed, band slippage, port flips etc the list goes on and on. There are heaps of ex banders on this site, they all have had there bands removed and have gone with the sleeve.

To be honest I cannot wait for my Sleeve - a new life a new day.

Suzy Blue
Back to top Go down
*Lib*
Top Poster
Top Poster
*Lib*

Female
Number of posts : 1594
Registration date : 2009-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone NOT had major complications?   Has anyone NOT had major complications? EmptyThu 16 Feb 2012, 3:18 am

The only complication I had was my head keeping up.

I lost 55kg, and am steady now at approx 55kg.
Back to top Go down
Ozzieloz
Part of the furniture
Ozzieloz

Female
Number of posts : 747
Registration date : 2010-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone NOT had major complications?   Has anyone NOT had major complications? EmptyWed 15 Feb 2012, 7:06 pm

Hi

Nope, no major complications for me - and I am only 25 kgs down after 15 months, but feel fantastic.

Best thing I ever did too!

And - 100%er !!!! way to go - haven't been online for ages due to lots of things - but sooooo great to hear that you are so well.

Ozzieloz
Back to top Go down
100%-er
Top Poster
Top Poster
100%-er

Female
Number of posts : 1217
Registration date : 2011-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone NOT had major complications?   Has anyone NOT had major complications? EmptyWed 15 Feb 2012, 9:09 am

No major complications for me!!

Nearly 57kgs down and still more to go - best thing I ever did!!
Back to top Go down
PilbaraGal
PilbaraGal

Female
Number of posts : 92
Registration date : 2011-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone NOT had major complications?   Has anyone NOT had major complications? EmptyWed 15 Feb 2012, 8:23 am

Im only a month out since having my sleeve and i have had no problems what so ever, well apart from finding out that ice-cream was too rich for me and i had to vomit that up..

I too am an ex bander - and would get the sleeve over the band any day of the week...

Ive dropped 13kg since surgery which is more than i ever lost witht he band.

Good luck with your decision.
Back to top Go down
FNM
FNM

Female
Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2011-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone NOT had major complications?   Has anyone NOT had major complications? EmptyWed 15 Feb 2012, 8:13 am

No major complications here. Up and walking hours after surgery and aside from some gas pain I recovered easily and well. It took a while to work out the whole eating thing and I still have the occasional surprise when something doesn't settle well. However, these small issues were/are nothing compared with the very serious health issues I suffered pre-sleeve.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone NOT had major complications?   Has anyone NOT had major complications? Empty

Back to top Go down

Has anyone NOT had major complications?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: All about the surgery :: Pre-op, Post Op, and Complications :: Complications With The Sleeve-
Jump to: