tinyteddy
16 posters
AuthorMessage
maisymoo

Female
Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2012-02-20

Newbie from Perth Empty
PostSubject: OP done 17th Feb 2012 Perth WA   Newbie from Perth EmptySat 25 Feb 2012, 6:20 pm

Hi All

From appointment to OP was 1 week due to someone else dropping out.
Op done 17th Feb 2012, day 10 and feeling great, I would say its my
second best day so far for not feeling to tried and week. Scars almost
healed.

Doc - Dr Gordan Padovan ( very happy with his work ) Mount Hospital Perth (which were great)

Age 42
Weight 101.kg date of Pre OP appointment - next appointment is 27th Feb
Ideal weight - around 70 Kg
Height 5'ft 6" - 160 cm

Before OP I was a plan to run 5kg in 30 mins (on week 5) so need to start that again and can`t wait. I have been walking though.

I have been making home made soup which I never do, but enjoying.
Would love to meet up with others in same boat, pre or post op in Perth Area.

Take care all and best wishes
Lisa
Back to top Go down
tinyteddy
Part of the furniture
tinyteddy

Female
Number of posts : 261
Registration date : 2012-01-30

Newbie from Perth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Perth   Newbie from Perth EmptySun 05 Feb 2012, 1:38 pm

Thanks Kate - someone once told me "Out of adversity comes opportunity "
There have been some extremely hard times in my past but I am so very lucky to have a few wonderful friends to help me along the way and it has all made me a stronger and better person -sometimes LOL :)
Back to top Go down
Kateh (Bluedog)
Part of the furniture
Kateh (Bluedog)

Female
Number of posts : 1159
Registration date : 2011-10-04

Newbie from Perth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Perth   Newbie from Perth EmptySun 05 Feb 2012, 1:16 pm

Hi again Karin, it was lovely meeting up with you today. I've just found this post & read a bit about your struggles. You are a beautiful & giving woman who deserves to experience & enjoy everything life has to offer & if a sleeve is how u r going to achieve this you go girl!! Good luck with the dietitian app & we will catch up again soon.
Kate
Back to top Go down
tinyteddy
Part of the furniture
tinyteddy

Female

Newbie from Perth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Perth   Newbie from Perth EmptySun 05 Feb 2012, 12:55 pm

hi J9

I dont know what happened to my pm! I wrote this wonderfully long inspiring one and its not sitting in my outbox either. Im so sorry.

I wanted to tell you that over the last 8 years I have battled depression beginning from a marraige breakup, then to postnatal depression after having two more children in my next relationship. Without going into the depression side of things, the people that I thought I would get the most support from during this time didnt provide it (ie my partner and my mum). After accepting the fact that as much as I needed it from them I wasnt going to get it and looked for it and found it from people who had been through the same thing as myself. After meeting a few other people that had expreienced the same thing I formed a support group and over the next few years many women were helped because of this. Places like this forum and meeting people, as I did today, in person through this forum have and will provide me with a huge amount of support, encouragement and confidence - confidence to stand up for yoruself and put yourself first. I think I would have easily been talked out of this once again had it not been for the encouragement I have found here. I presume you are a mum too. I spend the majority of my time putting the other 5 people in my family before myself - I wouldnt have it any other way, however there comes a time where I cant do that properly if Im not happy or healthy myself. I have told myself I need to do this for me first, and then everything will fall into place with my future and family.

My partner is coming around - I think. Basically as long as he is not affected by it its ok with him. Not a nice thought really. I think as I have said before he thinks if I stopped eating what I do I wouldnt have this problem and as we all know that are embarking on this journey it is about so much more than that! I think he is scared of what is going to happen - all the different scenarios that can happen - and tends to hide and is not willing either to find out all about it. I think he is scared that it wont be successful and I also think he is scared that it will be successful! he is alot heavier than me.

If you would like to get together at any time I would love to meet for a coffee and chat. I love to give support as much as I need to take it :) I live in the hills of Perth but can come and meet at anytime if you would like :)

Karin :)
Back to top Go down
J9
J9

Female
Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2012-01-25

Newbie from Perth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Perth   Newbie from Perth EmptySun 05 Feb 2012, 6:10 am

Thanks Katie,

I have asked him to come with me to the appointment, just waiting to see if he will. I don't like to bring it up as we usually end up arguing. He has been supportive in everything else that I do, going back to work after 10 years as a stay at home mum, returning to study etc so I'm hoping he will come around.

Thanks also GR I looked through your photos and you are stunning! I'm the same height and weight as you too so that gives me hope that I can do as well as you! Most people think that as my BMI is 35 I'm not obese enough for surgery! I keep thinking how fat do I have to be before I deserve help!!!.

Tinyteddy, I haven't received your PM, not sure if I'm looking in the wrong spot though :( .

It's great to meet so many like minded people, I can't wait to get started.

J9 x
Back to top Go down
Ktk
Part of the furniture
Ktk

Female
Number of posts : 215
Registration date : 2012-01-17

Newbie from Perth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Perth   Newbie from Perth EmptySun 05 Feb 2012, 5:31 am

Hi J9!

My hubby at first said he would get me a trainer etc. just diet and exercise he said!!! I knew I needed help. When I took him to see my surgeon he explained that the sleeve puts you on an even playing field with everyone else and then it becomes about diet and exercise. Since then he gets it. I voiced all the questions my hubby had to the dr infront of him and he was a changed man!! Maybe ask him to come to the appointment. Or make another so he can come!

All I know is that I'm excited about the op reducing the amount of grelin that out stomach produces to tell our brain we r hungry!! God knows my brain is told minutely!!

Hope all works out for u and he is on board soon. You'll need him!
Good luck
Katie x
Back to top Go down
Emma1989
Part of the furniture
Emma1989

Female
Number of posts : 1041
Registration date : 2011-06-15

Newbie from Perth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Perth   Newbie from Perth EmptySun 05 Feb 2012, 2:29 am

Hi tinytedddy,

Welcome to the forum! Kevin Dolan did my lap-band surgery, but I have since had it removed and had a sleeve, with Dr Alan Thomas at SJOGH Murdoch. All of the best for your upcoming surgery!

Emma :)
Back to top Go down
gottarhyme
Top Poster
Top Poster
gottarhyme

Female
Number of posts : 3826
Registration date : 2011-02-22

Newbie from Perth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Perth   Newbie from Perth EmptySat 04 Feb 2012, 11:09 pm

J9 wrote:
Hi Tiny Teddy
My partner is really against me having this surgery and wants me to do it on my own. Ive yo-yo dieted for years and am ready to take this next step I'm not sure whether he will be supportive or not when it comes down to it, as I've told him I'm doing it for myself, so although I would like his support I'm doing even if he dissaproves!! My first appointment is on Tuesday and I have asked him to come with me, not sure if he will or not.
Is your partner being more supportive now you actually have things in motion?
I'm in Perth too, which suburb are you in? Will have to try and get to some of the catchups as would be lovely to meet someone else going through this too.
J9 x

Hi j9! Please tell your Hubby to come in here, and read a few diaries, or at least look at the gallery of pictures that show how successful this surgery is! This is NOT the easy way out by a long stretch, but it has been proven by MANY studies, that obese people cannot keep the weight off! We are GREAT at dieting, but we always put anything we lose back on, and then some!

For some (if not ALL of us!) surgery is the ONLY permanent solution!

I did it because if I hadn't, I would have been dead of a heart attack, or diabetes within 10 years. Now I am completely well, after only 11 months! It is the BEST thing I ever did!
Back to top Go down
tinyteddy
Part of the furniture
tinyteddy

Female

Newbie from Perth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Perth   Newbie from Perth EmptySat 04 Feb 2012, 12:20 pm

Hi J9

I have just PM'd you :)

thanks for your reply....
Back to top Go down
J9
J9

Female
Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2012-01-25

Newbie from Perth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Perth   Newbie from Perth EmptySat 04 Feb 2012, 8:08 am

Hi Tiny Teddy
My partner is really against me having this surgery and wants me to do it on my own. Ive yo-yo dieted for years and am ready to take this next step I'm not sure whether he will be supportive or not when it comes down to it, as I've told him I'm doing it for myself, so although I would like his support I'm doing even if he dissaproves!! My first appointment is on Tuesday and I have asked him to come with me, not sure if he will or not.
Is your partner being more supportive now you actually have things in motion?
I'm in Perth too, which suburb are you in? Will have to try and get to some of the catchups as would be lovely to meet someone else going through this too.
J9 x
Back to top Go down
Swyt
Swyt

Female
Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2011-11-14

Newbie from Perth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Perth   Newbie from Perth EmptyFri 03 Feb 2012, 11:51 am

Just take each day as it comes in recovery and yes call in some favours.. As i mentioned in one of my many posts yesterday Im getting sleeved on the 15th Feb in Bunbury, I have called on my mum to come down for a few days as my partner works away also. I have already made vegetable soup and have it in mini containers in the freezer for when i get out the other side. I went and brought heaps of mini lunchboxes for work for when i go back to take my youghurt and bolied eggs and carrots etc.. Just need to get some sustagen and up and gos for breakfast etc and the mulitvitamins then i will feel better prepared, when i had my preadmission appt yesterday they also gave me a booklet of information about what to expect which is helpful.

Cant believe it is round the corner now... been waiting since Oct last year when i made up my mind to have the surgery and the time has just gone so fast...

Best of luck and stay in touch.

Swyt
Back to top Go down
tinyteddy
Part of the furniture
tinyteddy

Female

Newbie from Perth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Perth   Newbie from Perth EmptyThu 02 Feb 2012, 12:47 pm

Thanks Swyt - I do have lots of support from my kids and I think my partner is coming around, maybe he's just scared in his own way too! whichever way, Im doing this for all the right reasons and with the support of a few close friends and everyone on thsi site, I know I will succeed - I just have to now figure out how Im going to get through the recovery side of things as my partner is away off and on, think I might have to call in a few favours :)

Im really looking forward to meeting some other Perth sleevers on Sunday, I told my partner about this and he was very supportive of it so will see..............
Back to top Go down
Swyt
Swyt

Female
Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2011-11-14

Newbie from Perth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Perth   Newbie from Perth EmptyThu 02 Feb 2012, 12:15 pm

Hi Tinyteddy

welcome to the site and congrats on your surgery date.. Im also from WA, however im in Bunbury, I am being sleeved on the 15th Feb in Bunbury... Sorry to hear you dont have a lot of support at home... but we are all your friends and you will get plenty of support on this site... They have been so wonderful in my journey to date and i dont think i could of got this far without this site.

Stay in touch and let us know how it all goes.

Swyt.....
Back to top Go down
tinyteddy
Part of the furniture
tinyteddy

Female

Newbie from Perth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Perth   Newbie from Perth EmptyThu 02 Feb 2012, 12:00 pm

Hi again all

Thanks Bev - I have already seen that post and I will be there - cant wait to meet you.

Giggle Pus - WOW - now im really excited - maybe I could pm you - we probably know each other! I had my appt with my surgeon today and I am being sleeved on the 24th of this month. My head is spinning tonight - I cant settle and am in overdrive, scared excited, and plan to spend the evening on here in the hope I calm down LOL! I wasnt expecting it to be so soon!

will be posting more later on :)
Back to top Go down
Giggle Puss
Giggle Puss

Female
Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2012-02-02

Newbie from Perth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Perth   Newbie from Perth EmptyThu 02 Feb 2012, 7:22 am

Hello, Tinyteddy (love the name) this is my first post. I have been larking in the background and the info and people on here are just great. I am due to be sleeved 21/2/12. Must say i'm going thru alot of emotions. Happy, nervous ect. My Dr will be Dr Harsha Chandraratna. Starting diet on Monday. (cant do Opti). OMG I moved here 13 months ago from Bridgetown also.
Back to top Go down
Bev
Part of the furniture
Bev

Female
Number of posts : 363
Registration date : 2011-09-06

Newbie from Perth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Perth   Newbie from Perth EmptyThu 02 Feb 2012, 3:43 am

I'm a bit slow off the mark but welcome! Nice to see another West Aussie on this site.
We are having a get together on Sunday at 3 pm at Hyde park and would would love you to join us. I have haven't met any one yet so I am really looking forward to it. I hope you can make it. Check out the "Sleevers Get Togethers" page on this site for more details.
Good luck with your weight loss journey.
Bev
Back to top Go down
sunnie
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 422
Registration date : 2011-01-25

Newbie from Perth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Perth   Newbie from Perth EmptyTue 31 Jan 2012, 7:09 am

Newbie from Perth 473426 Hi Tiny Teddy welcome to the forum :) I'm also from W.A and had my op in May last year and I'm now down over 30 kilos! It's great to be able to come on here and get support from others who are going through the same thing that you are going through. My surgeon explained the differences between the band and the sleeve and even though I was looking more to the sleeve I was definetly sold after that and have had no regrets since.

Good luck with it all

Sunnie x
Back to top Go down
tinyteddy
Part of the furniture
tinyteddy

Female

Newbie from Perth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Perth   Newbie from Perth EmptyTue 31 Jan 2012, 2:50 am

OMG - thank you all so much for your lovely welcomes and support! I dont seem to have any at home - I dont think I will get much from my partner, who is overweight himself and seems to think if I didnt eat as much I wouldnt have a problem! well - there's some stuff for another post!

Thank you sssss, I have found the thread about the Perth meet up and think I will make an effort to go. I am feeling very inspired but maybe not so sure I have the right surgeon. We will make that decision after Thursday.

Snowbunny - I am originally from Bridgetown and have moved to Perth and been here for 12 months and dont know anyone - so nice to know there are people near home that I could pop down and maybe have a catch up with.

Seems I might be on here a bit so looking forward to getting to know you all :)
Back to top Go down
snowbunny
Part of the furniture
snowbunny

Female
Number of posts : 432
Registration date : 2011-06-14

Newbie from Perth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Perth   Newbie from Perth EmptyTue 31 Jan 2012, 2:13 am

Hi Tinyteddy

My GP referred me to a Surgeon in Bunbury to talk about Weight Loss Surgery. I had a look on the net and also at some of the docco's on Foxtel, and thought that the Band would suit me. I liked the idea that it was reversable and only a short stay in Hospital. After meeting the Surgeon, I decided that the Sleeve would be a better option in the long term for me. I was only worried as there was not a lot of data on the long term success of the procedure. But I needed to lose weight to move out of the High Risk Catagories of Diabetes and Heart Disease.

I am thrilled with the results. I have had no complications, and my only problem was drinking water in the early stages of recovery as it gave me mild heartburn.

Find a good Dietician that you like (some are better than others for WLS) and join a support group to meet new people and have great chats. We have a very informal 'coffee chat' group that meets every month or so in Bunbury. I have met some lovely ladies, and hopefully some of the guys will come along too. New members bombard us with questions that we are all happy to try and answer for them.

Goodluck with your Journey :)
Back to top Go down
Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Janette

Female
Number of posts : 4341
Registration date : 2009-09-13

Newbie from Perth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Perth   Newbie from Perth EmptyMon 30 Jan 2012, 7:44 pm

Hi TinyTeddy and welcome.

I was iniatially referred for banding by my GP, I have never heard of the sleeve until I went along to my surgeons seminar. I decided then and there the sleeve was for me, after being obese and dieting all my adult life. I have never looked back, its brillant and life is so normal now. Love my sleeve.

Wishing you all the best for your surgery and journey.

Newbie from Perth 217555
Back to top Go down
uncleluck
Part of the furniture
uncleluck

Male
Number of posts : 223
Registration date : 2010-04-17

Newbie from Perth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Perth   Newbie from Perth EmptyMon 30 Jan 2012, 12:55 pm

Hi Tinyteddy and welcome to the forum,i to was considering the band but i found this forum and read other comments and spoke to my doctor and people on this site and made my mind that the sleeve will work a lot better over the band.Everyone is so supportive and friendly on here don't be scared to ask any questions.Good luck with your journey,
Back to top Go down
sssss
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female
Number of posts : 2844
Registration date : 2010-03-12

Newbie from Perth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Perth   Newbie from Perth EmptyMon 30 Jan 2012, 12:22 pm

Hi Tinyteddy and welcome to the forum...it is a fantastic place to talk with people who know EXACTLY what you;re going through. I, too, made the decision to go for the sleeve and haven't regretted it at all...You might want to check out the sleever's gettogether thread....some Perth sleevers are meeting in Hyde Park next weekend I think...it could be an opportunity for you to have loooong chats about the process (and see the results first hand).

good luck.

S
Back to top Go down
Kate
Top Poster
Top Poster
Kate

Female
Number of posts : 2162
Registration date : 2011-06-23

Newbie from Perth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Perth   Newbie from Perth EmptyMon 30 Jan 2012, 11:11 am

Hi Tinyteddy and welcome to the forum. One thing about this site is you will never give up hope.......we won't let you. lol Everyone is so supportive and friendly just like one big happy family. I was sleeved in August last year and have not regretted it for one second. It is the best thing I have ever done for my health. Good luck and keep us posted of your progress.

Kate
Back to top Go down
gottarhyme
Top Poster
Top Poster
gottarhyme

Female
Number of posts : 3826
Registration date : 2011-02-22

Newbie from Perth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Perth   Newbie from Perth EmptyMon 30 Jan 2012, 7:52 am

I tinyteddy!

If you look under 'the surgeons' thread, or type 'Kevin Dolan' in the search button above, you may find what you are looking for.

Welcome to the forum! I too was considering the band, but thank goodness I got the sleeve instead! I have never looked back.
Back to top Go down
tinyteddy
Part of the furniture
tinyteddy

Female

Newbie from Perth Empty
PostSubject: Newbie from Perth   Newbie from Perth EmptyMon 30 Jan 2012, 4:55 am

hi all - I have an appt to begin the journey to a smaller me on Thursday with Kevin Dolan. This site is fantastic and full of great information. You are all such inspirational people and I finally feel like there is some hope for me.

I have been thinking about lap banding for some time but have not been at all sure and then I met up with an old friend I hadnt seen for about 12 months who had had the sleeve done and now I think this is the answer, while still a scary road to travel - I think this is for me.

Does anyone have any experience with Kevin Dolan and sleeving? or generally?

I look forward to talking with you all and sharing our stories :)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Newbie from Perth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Perth   Newbie from Perth Empty

Back to top Go down

Newbie from Perth
Page 1 of 1