mamaraptor
Part of the furniture
mamaraptor

Female
Number of posts : 249
Registration date : 2011-11-12

Coke Zero Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coke Zero   Coke Zero EmptyFri 13 Jan 2012, 7:47 am

I think mumma has hit the nail right on the head; LISTEN to your BODY! It is so true! I know its only been nearly four very short weeks, but there are times when I go to eat something or have one more teaspoon and I stop and my body is almost screaming in slow motion:

NnoooooooOoOoOoOoOoOOOOOOOOooooooooOOOOOOooooooOOOOOOOOOooooooOOOOOO!!!

No more fizzies for me! It is satisfying with the bubbles for a split second then it hits your tummy and is gross! Probably better to get the "crunch" and cool with ice chips!
Back to top Go down
PiercedMumma08
Top Poster
Top Poster
PiercedMumma08

Female
Number of posts : 1702
Registration date : 2010-04-05

Coke Zero Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coke Zero   Coke Zero EmptyFri 13 Jan 2012, 7:28 am

Im 16 months out and Ive not had any soft drinks- diet or normal. I just dont really want to.

I did have a sip of pepsi max (to try) when i was a few months out and it tasted like fizzy dirt.

I also had a big addiction to diet coke pre surgery (like litres and litres) and i dont really want to go back to that.

So I have water, coffee, tea, some juices and im having my first gatorade now in like 8 months as ive been cramping since surgery last week (not sleeve) in my legs.

I know some people can have soft drinks after surgery but for me it was just a choice and a habit i didnt really want to go back to.

Just listen to your body :)
Back to top Go down
Kate
Top Poster
Top Poster
Kate

Female
Number of posts : 2162
Registration date : 2011-06-23

Coke Zero Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coke Zero   Coke Zero EmptyFri 13 Jan 2012, 7:13 am

They sound like much better choices. Well done.
Back to top Go down
J
Part of the furniture
J

Male
Number of posts : 761
Registration date : 2010-08-04

Coke Zero Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coke Zero   Coke Zero EmptyThu 12 Jan 2012, 11:56 pm

That's awesome to hear, keep up the good work
Back to top Go down
gottarhyme
Top Poster
Top Poster
gottarhyme

Female
Number of posts : 3826
Registration date : 2011-02-22

Coke Zero Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coke Zero   Coke Zero EmptyThu 12 Jan 2012, 11:51 pm

You are a SMART woman. You go girl!
Back to top Go down
mamaraptor
Part of the furniture
mamaraptor

Female

Coke Zero Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coke Zero   Coke Zero EmptyThu 12 Jan 2012, 11:50 pm

I know I haven't posted/commented on this thread for a while, but I have been watching and I am pleased to say that I haven't had ANY fizzies since I posted! Pretty sure this thread has horrified me!!!

Now i stick to:

-Up and go's

- Water

- Five fruit orange juice

- Milk

- Occasional coffee
Back to top Go down
Kazz
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 479
Registration date : 2010-09-21

Coke Zero Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coke Zero   Coke Zero EmptyThu 12 Jan 2012, 11:07 pm

I havent had any fizzy drinks since my surgery, so just over 3 months. Im not planning on trying any. I dont miss them. After reading this thread, perhaps thats a good thing. I only drink water and diet cordial, and milk. My one vice is still coffee, but I try and maximise the nutritional value of that by making it with a full mug of low fat milk. I have 2 of these a day, I get my coffee, plus protein and calcium from the milk :)

Each to their own though. Of course we all want to maximise our weight loss with the sleeve. But I know that I also did not want to spend the rest of my life 'dieting', so I will still eat the occasional chocolate, chips, etc. Its all about balance, and doing our best to make healthier choices the majority of the time :)
Back to top Go down
SassyMummy
Part of the furniture
SassyMummy

Female
Number of posts : 271
Registration date : 2010-08-21

Coke Zero Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coke Zero   Coke Zero EmptyThu 12 Jan 2012, 11:23 am

I can't manage fizzy drinks, and I'm a bit over 4 months out. I can have maybe a sip or two, and no pain, but it's not terribly comfortable or tasty for me either.

TBH, I think it's wise to stay away from these things for as long as you can... filling up your tiny tum with so much gas can't be the best move...
Back to top Go down
http://randomchickrandomthoughts.blogspot.com/
vanderaj
Part of the furniture
vanderaj

Male
Number of posts : 498
Registration date : 2011-10-09

Coke Zero Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coke Zero   Coke Zero EmptyThu 12 Jan 2012, 8:26 am

@J - word. Direct and to the point.

I don't want to defend Coke Zero, but there's an awful lot of misinformation about sugary drinks and artificially flavored drinks. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence (i.e. peer reviewed papers from respected publications). There are some good quality papers coming in now, but most of the "facts" found easily on the Internet are simply false.

However, saying that I feel Coke and Coke Zero are part of that pattern that got me to twice my normal weight in 20something years, and it's just best to give it away and do something new for the rest of my life. Ditto booze. I'm just not interested in it any more.
Back to top Go down
http://www.greebo.net
mammabear25
Part of the furniture
mammabear25

Female
Number of posts : 281
Registration date : 2011-08-06

Coke Zero Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coke Zero   Coke Zero EmptyThu 12 Jan 2012, 7:07 am

I cant drink fizzy drinks at all, but i never was a big Coke drinker cant stand it myself, but even if i do have a sip i get pains of gas etc, i drink water with a slice of lemon in it or the lipton ice teas, but generally its water everyday.

20 days out seems way to early to be trying to drink coke or coke zero, agree with J, bluedog and littlmisscee. was told water only.
Back to top Go down
Kateh (Bluedog)
Part of the furniture
Kateh (Bluedog)

Female
Number of posts : 1159
Registration date : 2011-10-04

Coke Zero Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coke Zero   Coke Zero EmptyThu 12 Jan 2012, 5:01 am

My surgeon advised me to advoid, as much as possible, fizzy, alcohol & coffee for the rest of my life!! The decision to have this sleeve was not one I took lightly, it was financially & emotionally draining but the best one I've ever made. So anything to help & not hinder this weight loss tool i am on board!! I was fully aware & well informed of this before the op. :)
Back to top Go down
LittleMissCee
Administrator
LittleMissCee

Female
Number of posts : 2103
Registration date : 2010-01-03

Coke Zero Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coke Zero   Coke Zero EmptyThu 12 Jan 2012, 4:28 am

I was told nothing fizzy for 6 weeks after surgery.

I drink beer now, but very rarely soft drink.
Back to top Go down
J
Part of the furniture
J

Male
Number of posts : 761
Registration date : 2010-08-04

Coke Zero Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coke Zero   Coke Zero EmptyThu 12 Jan 2012, 3:36 am

I literally read 2 lines of this thread and this is all I have to say.. Rage back at me if you want but honestly I don't care.

What the hell are you doing drinking coke 20 days post op.. do you honestly not care at all about what you're trying to achieve ? Its like you're trying to make it more justified by telling us its coke Zero and because its low sugar well hey it's ok.

Take a good look in the mirror and maybe think about why you've taken this path of the sleeve.

(EDITED BY ADMIN)

Back to top Go down
gottarhyme
Top Poster
Top Poster
gottarhyme

Female

Coke Zero Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coke Zero   Coke Zero EmptyThu 12 Jan 2012, 1:11 am

It is exactly as my surgeon warned in his weight loss seminar.

The chemicals in Coke Zero increase hunger. It is a vicious cycle. You are wise to have it only as an occasional treat.
Back to top Go down
butterflyfallen
butterflyfallen

Female
Number of posts : 176
Registration date : 2011-04-22

Coke Zero Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coke Zero   Coke Zero EmptyWed 11 Jan 2012, 10:17 am

i had started back on coke zero about 5 weeks ago and in the same time my weight loss has slowed down - down know if its coincidence or not! ive also been alot hungrier too - anyhoo i was googling coke zero today and came across this article which i found interesting

http://naturalbias.com/are-you-being-fooled-by-zero-calorie-sodas/

im going to leave the coke zero to weekends only treat from now on and stop it as a daily drink and see if i return to a more consistent weight loss.
Back to top Go down
gottarhyme
Top Poster
Top Poster
gottarhyme

Female

Coke Zero Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coke Zero   Coke Zero EmptyTue 10 Jan 2012, 10:15 am

I hate Coke, always have.

I can't see the point in drinking a cocktail of artificial chemicals! *shudders*
Back to top Go down
Gretchen
Part of the furniture
Gretchen

Female
Number of posts : 322
Registration date : 2011-10-05

Coke Zero Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coke Zero   Coke Zero EmptyTue 10 Jan 2012, 9:44 am

When i was 2nd day in hospital and the supper cart came around and they offered me a drink I was given ginger ale and I was a bit catious at first so I put it in the mini fridge so it would go flat.. and afterwards it went down fine and after that I've never bothered waiting for a drink to go flat. the only time I've had discomfort with a drink is when I've gulped too much at once.. seem to have no problems with fizzy drinks but I suppose it just depends on the person.
Hope you're doing well fellow desleever!
Gretchen.
Back to top Go down
Isis
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 548
Registration date : 2010-10-28

Coke Zero Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coke Zero   Coke Zero EmptyTue 10 Jan 2012, 8:15 am

I will have a glass of juice as a treat sometimes, but I can't bring myself to drink full sugar soft drink on the rare occasions when I have coke or something. I think it's just something that's so ingrained in my behaviour that I can't change it and the enormous guilt I feel isn't worth it. It's fine though, as I don't drink it very often. I don't like how artificial sweeteners affect me at all - it's an awful feeling! Hehe Leici, I'm a total caffeine addict - I drink at least 3 cups of coffee a day. Ah well, it doesn't bother me - I get my caffeine from coffee rather than from soft drink with the artificial sweeteners (I used to have them sometimes for a caffeine hit if I didn't feel like a hot drink but not anymore) and I don't use any other substances.
Back to top Go down
leici
Sponsor
leici

Female
Number of posts : 544
Registration date : 2010-05-27

Coke Zero Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coke Zero   Coke Zero EmptyTue 10 Jan 2012, 7:55 am

Hi Gottarhyme, interesting article, but I do know lots of skinny people who drink diet soft drinks. Two of my sisters in fact and they have been drinking them for yonks and are both skinny minnies.

I don't find any increase in appetitie either when I drink them. I can't stomach the full sugar versions of soft drinks- or only a couple of sips-they are just too sweet for me. I could drink them calorie wise as I am a lucky one so far in that I have to snack to stop loosing weight!

However I agree it is best to avoid these soft drinks in any form altogether if you can long term. My issue is more with caffeine and addictiveness of it in these drinks.

Last edited by leici on Tue 10 Jan 2012, 8:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
gottarhyme
Top Poster
Top Poster
gottarhyme

Female

Coke Zero Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coke Zero   Coke Zero EmptyTue 10 Jan 2012, 12:24 am

My Surgeon told me that people who Drink Coke Zero, or Pepsi Max, or Diet ANYTHING will gain weight due to the chemicals in the drink. I found an article that explains what he was talking about:

A Better Perspective on Weight Loss

Clearly, the most obvious reason to drink zero calorie beverages such as Coke Zero and Pepsi Max is to reduce calorie intake, and in turn, lose weight. Ironically, although this is a controversial topic with research supporting both sides, it’s been shown in at least one study that people who rely on artificially sweetened beverages are more likely to gain weight.1 In association with this, aspartame in particular has been shown to increase appetite2 and calorie consumption.3

Losing weight is no different from increasing your energy in the regard that it’s most effectively done through a healthy lifestyle. Too many people prioritize their appearance over their health, and as a result, fail to understand that pursuing better health and following a healthy diet will naturally lead to weight loss.

No type of soda, regardless of how many or how few calories it has, is ever a good choice. However, by following healthy habits on a regular basis, you’ll be able to enjoy soda in moderation without much impact to your health or weight, and when you do, you might as well enjoy the real thing!

For the full article, go here:

SOURCE: http://naturalbias.com/are-you-being-fooled-by-zero-calorie-sodas/

Just for the record, I have NEVER seen a skinny person drinking Diet Coke! Have you?

I actually drink full sugar versions of anything I like, including cordial, because at least fruit juice, or sugar is a NATURAL product, which my body can break down naturally. I don't drink a lot! I actually prefer chilled water, or lime and soda, but I think it is all about feeding our bodies natural foods, in the form of good proteins, such as beans, nuts and meats, as well as veggies. I adore SWEET things, but I have not gained any weight over Christmas AT all! I think that despite my tendency to nibble, I make sure I temper it with good food choices. I never drink cordial or soft drinks unless they are full sugar versions.

Well, it seems to work for me, but everyone is different! I don't count calories, I make sensible choices and allow myself treats.
Back to top Go down
leici
Sponsor
leici

Female
Number of posts : 544
Registration date : 2010-05-27

Coke Zero Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coke Zero   Coke Zero EmptyMon 09 Jan 2012, 7:19 pm

I think in the future that caffeine will be banned and looked back on like tobacco. I was a huge coke zero addict pre sleeve. Went off it for a long time and then got really hooked again post sleeve ( I mean drinking 6 or more cans a day) and find that you get on this roller coaster of needing it to feel normal. Like booze! I don't have any other caffeine, don't drink tea or coffee etc so this was my only pick me up. But then the 'hang over' the next day until you have one...
Thing is when you are really tired and working really hard it does help the energy boost. I don't have any sugary reactions to it.

I have gone cold turkey again and am taking at least this month off it and will try and stay off when I go back to work. I feel sort of like this is my "dry July" ( don't drink booze either). It is reinforced though- I had one can late afternoon after 5 days without any. I did not sleep at all that night and it convinces me how much harm it does me in large quantities just from the point of view of caffeine, let alone artifical sweeteners.
Look out Coke plenty of law suits a-coming your way in the future when the research is in.
Back to top Go down
Isis
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 548
Registration date : 2010-10-28

Coke Zero Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coke Zero   Coke Zero EmptyMon 09 Jan 2012, 10:18 am

Yes, like Kate says diet soft drinks can make you hungrier. It's something to do with artificial sweetener and how your body processes it. The other thing that I was told (and have experienced the awful grim reality of) is that your body reacts to it chemicallly the same way as a genuine sugar hit in that you get a high and then a crash. I never drank loads of it post-op, but I did get into having a glass or two in the evenings recently, but I was finding that I would have a hideous hypoglycemic episode if I went for one of my long walks after I had had some coke, or I would get a crash mid-afternoon when I had a sugar-free V at work. I find that post-sleeve I really need to be careful with what I put into myself, or I end up eating a ton of sugary crap to make myself feel physically better when I crash - yuck! (I have never had diabetes so no idea what causes this, but never mind).
Back to top Go down
mamaraptor
Part of the furniture
mamaraptor

Female

Coke Zero Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coke Zero   Coke Zero EmptySun 08 Jan 2012, 10:47 pm

You guys are beautiful! Yeah I think I will stick clear an stay with water and diet cordial!!!!!!! Xx
Back to top Go down
Melinda38
Part of the furniture
Melinda38

Female
Number of posts : 441
Registration date : 2011-09-26

Coke Zero Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coke Zero   Coke Zero EmptySun 08 Jan 2012, 9:00 pm

That's a good point Alicia and Kate.
Just be careful mamaraptor!
Back to top Go down
Kate
Top Poster
Top Poster
Kate

Female
Number of posts : 2162
Registration date : 2011-06-23

Coke Zero Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coke Zero   Coke Zero EmptySun 08 Jan 2012, 1:11 pm

I was the same alice.r and it's all about not putting pressure on the staple line. I was a huge diet coke drinker pre sleeve. Now I don't drink any soft drink at all. There is a comment in a thread on here somewhere about the chemicals in some diet soft drinks that make you hungrier. Sorry I can't remember exactly what thread it is in, someone else may be able to.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Coke Zero Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coke Zero   Coke Zero Empty

Back to top Go down

Coke Zero
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: Welcome! :: Welcomes, Introductions & General Chit Chat :: General Chat-
Jump to: