suzyhomemaker
suzyhomemaker

Female
Number of posts : 139
Registration date : 2011-07-19

I'm devastated Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm devastated   I'm devastated EmptyTue 22 Nov 2011, 7:01 am

The saga continues....

It's like a comedy of errors. My husbeast rang and asked for a supervisor etc. APPARENTLY the reviewer has been on holidays and everyone forgot to tell me! He promises to ring tomorrow. Wish for me that it's good luck.
Back to top Go down
suzyhomemaker
suzyhomemaker

Female

I'm devastated Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm devastated   I'm devastated EmptyWed 16 Nov 2011, 10:24 am

Thanks for the reassurance Lynette. I suppose I am a little worried about being told to "shut up and wait my turn". I honestly just don't know why they haven't approved it yet. I have this gut feeling that they don't BELIEVE the figures I've provided. I honestly don't know what else to do except provide them with 12mo worth of bank and credit card statements lol
Back to top Go down
duzzenmada
duzzenmada

Female
Number of posts : 121
Registration date : 2011-06-16

I'm devastated Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm devastated   I'm devastated EmptyWed 16 Nov 2011, 8:50 am

God Suzy I can't believe you're still going through this. You poor thing! At this point you've been more than patient and I don't think there's anything pushy about calling to find out what's going on. The assesser sounds like he wants to help but he hasn't contacted you three weeks later and you deserve to know what's going on. You're probably worried that they'll get annoyed and knock you back to spite you but as long as you're polite about it there's nothing wrong with being assertive.

Very best of luck!
Lynette
Back to top Go down
suzyhomemaker
suzyhomemaker

Female

I'm devastated Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm devastated   I'm devastated EmptyWed 16 Nov 2011, 7:19 am

I'm after some advice...

The independant assessor rang me and was very nice. He gave me his direct number and told me he wants to approve this for me bc it's very evident that I need the surgery. He said he understands my situation but needs EVIDENCE (other than what I wrote on my application and then LEGALLY DECLARED in a stat dec!) that my income and expenses are what they are. He asked for copies of bank statements and credit card statements. I threw in a copy of our mortgage statement as well for good measure.

He assured me he would ring me as soon as he received them, we'd sit down together (on either end of the phone) and discuss how to proceed. I sent it on the 25th October but gave him the courteous 10 days and rang his number. It went straight to voicemail but I figured it might be because it was lunch time (I'd just put the baby down and it was my only time to call). I rang him next day mid morning and it went straight to his voicemail again. I left a message both days. I then gave it several days and rang the APRA main number. The person I spoke to said they definitely received my statements on the 26th (so the next day after I posted it). He said that, unfortunately, independant reviewers don't communicate with the "front line" so to speak so he couldn't tell me what the reviewer was up to but to sit tight and he would call me.

It's been 3 weeks since they received it. I know it's coming up to Christmas and I doubt much could be done surgery wise then but I'm obviously and understandably anxious to get on with things and know the verdict. It's been a very emotional and frustrating road and I just want an answer and to know where I go from here.

My husband (who is used to be direct in his line of work) says I should call and put the hard word on them and ask them what's going on but I don't want to be pushy. What would others do in this situation????

Thanks for any tips.
Back to top Go down
suzyhomemaker
suzyhomemaker

Female

I'm devastated Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm devastated   I'm devastated EmptyFri 07 Oct 2011, 8:20 am

Ajbaby wrote:
I was very lucky with my assessor, can you as for a second opinion assessor, or a supervisor review?

So sorry you have had this situation, it is unfair when you cannot get fair and equal treatment.

This "independant assessor" will be the 3rd one /bangs head against a wall
Back to top Go down
Ajbaby
Ajbaby

Female
Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2011-08-30

I'm devastated Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm devastated   I'm devastated EmptyThu 06 Oct 2011, 10:16 am

I was very lucky with my assessor, can you as for a second opinion assessor, or a supervisor review?

So sorry you have had this situation, it is unfair when you cannot get fair and equal treatment.
Back to top Go down
duzzenmada
duzzenmada

Female

I'm devastated Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm devastated   I'm devastated EmptyWed 05 Oct 2011, 9:58 pm

I'm really sorry to hear about your troubles with APRA , Suzy.
I'm sure I've seen posts where a second assesser has looked at the case and approved it so I hope it happens for you.
Child support not an expense? In what life?

Back to top Go down
suzyhomemaker
suzyhomemaker

Female

I'm devastated Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm devastated   I'm devastated EmptyWed 05 Oct 2011, 9:48 pm

Whisper wrote:

(Must indulge in a tiny vent here - it still makes me a bit angry that my partner's income counted as household income, but his child support payments didn't count as a household expense. Does NOT compute!)

Oh vent away! I was telling this to my husband last night and we were both pretty dumbfounded by it. I understand, absolutely understand, why the government doesn't want to release super early. It's an initiative to help you support yourself when you're older. I get that. But if there ARE provisions under which you can legally access it then allow that to happen fairly!

I sent an email with wording similar to your letters, Whisper, so we'll see where that gets me ;-) I thought it was at least a good idea.

I remember reading about another member on here, her username escapes me now though, who also had 5K in her account and apra knocked her back (or something similar) and she pointed out it was safety net for when she's off work in case something goes wrong with the surgery and she was then approved release. I don't see that much difference with my case (ie the 5k isn't savings, it's working money) so I can only keep my fingers crossed and hope that a new set of assessor eyes each time see it from a different light.

Quote :

medicare is supposed to be taking over APRA so things should be easier now, so I have no idea why you are having problems.

http://www.moneymanagement.com.au/news/medicare-supplants-apra-on-compassionate-early-rel

I guess all i can suggest is you ask if medicare has been involved?

Thanks qwerty! I noticed on the APRA website, just yesterday, that the claims for early release are going to the DHS now - http://www.apra.gov.au/Super/Pages/early-release-of-superannuation-benefits.aspx
Back to top Go down
Whisper
Whisper

Female
Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2011-08-03

I'm devastated Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm devastated   I'm devastated EmptyWed 05 Oct 2011, 9:40 pm

Had a look through my documentation last night.... as well as the required letter from my GP with the appropriate wording, she (my GP) also wrote me a separate letter saying that her recommendation was for "medical intervention as soon as possible. This patient is in danger of developing further complications if she (me) is forced to wait for release of funds; in her condition, further complications may prove fatal. I support the immediate release of funds in the interest of her (my) health". And then contact details, etc.

The letter made it clear that waiting for funds to be released (or waiting and saving the whole of the money myself) would be detrimental to my health. Mind you, it didn't help me in the end.... but I guess it's something you could try?

Other than that, my documentation is just various revisions of GPs and surgeon's letters (like you, my surgeon uses a proforma, but APRA decided it wasn't suitable, so I had to get a supporting letter from him (surgeon) with the appropriate wording). And of course, my statement about income and expenses. Which was what they finally declined me on.

(Must indulge in a tiny vent here - it still makes me a bit angry that my partner's income counted as household income, but his child support payments didn't count as a household expense. Does NOT compute!)

Will post again if I think of anything else....
Back to top Go down
qwerty

Female
Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2011-01-03

I'm devastated Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm devastated   I'm devastated EmptyWed 05 Oct 2011, 2:42 pm

medicare is supposed to be taking over APRA so things should be easier now, so I have no idea why you are having problems.

http://www.moneymanagement.com.au/news/medicare-supplants-apra-on-compassionate-early-rel

I guess all i can suggest is you ask if medicare has been involved?
Back to top Go down
suzyhomemaker
suzyhomemaker

Female

I'm devastated Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm devastated   I'm devastated EmptyTue 04 Oct 2011, 9:44 am

Thanks Whisper. The lady was actually really lovely. She kept saying "I understand your situation, I honestly do, I just need to work around the legislation".

Could you suggest anything else (documents etc) that would help? We provided a very clear stat dec for the appeal, the doctor's letters were perfect (according to this assessor). What else could I provide?
Back to top Go down
Whisper
Whisper

Female

I'm devastated Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm devastated   I'm devastated EmptyTue 04 Oct 2011, 9:13 am

I actually have no idea what their rules are, and I don't remember seeing it on their website or anywhere else when I was going through the process. In my experience, each time they declined and I disputed, it went to a different assessor - I had 5 of them, in all, before I gave up.

I've just re-read my last post and I want to make sure I'm not giving you the vibe that you should give up easily..... it's so frustrating to know that it's your own money, but someone else is in control of it.

It may be worth asking them (in writing, of course, get everything in writing) precisely what information or documentation they need to see to support your application. I did this following each "declined" that I got. (That is, I wrote them a very polite letter saying I had received their letter and that I intended to dispute the decision, then asked if they could reply in writing to acknowledge my letter and give me a very precise list of the documentation APRA needed, including any specific wording that may be required, in order to proceeed with my application.) I was very pleasantly surprised to find that this actually worked.

It may help to keep in mind that they are just regular people like you and I, and in general I expect they would actually like to help; but they are bound by the rules and regulations of their job. However, they are also the best people to know how to work around/satisfy the rules and regulations of their job. :)

And going to an independent board may not be such a bad thing... they are just regular people too. The trick will be to make sure they have absolutey all the information at hand, and that it's spelled out very clearly for them. It may be a case of too much information is just enough.

W.
Back to top Go down
suzyhomemaker
suzyhomemaker

Female

I'm devastated Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm devastated   I'm devastated EmptyTue 04 Oct 2011, 8:43 am

A question - how many times can you appeal? She gave me the impression that it's 3 strikes and you're out. She said if she declined it it would automatically go to an independant board.
Back to top Go down
suzyhomemaker
suzyhomemaker

Female

I'm devastated Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm devastated   I'm devastated EmptyTue 04 Oct 2011, 8:42 am

Thanks Whisper. We have PHI already, there's no waiting.

I just don't understand their logic tbh. We have 5k in the bank and we have 7k of expenses a month (we've had more in the bank in the past but it's obviously gone down with more expenses than income overtime). How do they even think we can afford it?

I'm going to sit down and talk with my hubby tonight and maybe nut out a way to put a little aside a week and maybe in time (maybe that will be my waiting game ;-) ) we can acrue enough.
Back to top Go down
Whisper
Whisper

Female

I'm devastated Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm devastated   I'm devastated EmptyTue 04 Oct 2011, 8:29 am

Hi Suzy,

I went back and forth with APRA for almost 9 months; they declined my application on 4 different grounds (each of which I disputed successfully) before declining it on the basis that the household income was at such a level that we should be able to afford it ourselves. (Mind you, they admitted that while they include my partner's income as part of the household income, they don't include his individual costs/debts as part of the household expenses. *sigh* - but that's a frustration I let go of a long time ago.)

I couldn't think of a way to dispute that situation, so I signed up for PHI and played the waiting game.

This is perhaps not what you want to hear, but one way of looking at it is to use the waiting time to your benefit. I used the 12 months to stabilise my weight and research all the ins and outs of the operation - I was beyond prepared when the time finally rolled around, and it all happened very quickly from there.

Chin up... where there's a will (as the saying goes)...

W.
Back to top Go down
suzyhomemaker
suzyhomemaker

Female

I'm devastated Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm devastated   I'm devastated EmptyTue 04 Oct 2011, 7:42 am

An assessor called today about my application for reconsideration. Long story short, she said whilst SHE understands our situation, that under legislation they're not convinced that we can't pay for it ourselves. I honestly don't even know why I bothered. It's in black and white why we can't afford it and I provided a stat dec spelling it out. I'm seriously losing all hope :~(
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female
Number of posts : 7036
Registration date : 2008-06-02

I'm devastated Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm devastated   I'm devastated EmptyThu 15 Sep 2011, 9:11 am

Hey, Suzy, glad you called and talked to them.

More good wishes for the review...I'm devastated 217555
Back to top Go down
suzyhomemaker
suzyhomemaker

Female

I'm devastated Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm devastated   I'm devastated EmptyThu 15 Sep 2011, 7:04 am

I got the "official" letter today saying they'd declined the application. I expected to have the reason for decline stated that it was monetory but I didn't expect them to say anything was wrong with the doctor's letters!!! argh!

I rang them and got a lovely guy on the phone. I read out the letters to him and he agreed that the GP's one was perfect but he hesitated over the surgeons (Dr Taylor) and said there might be a problem with that. I was a bit shitty by this stage and said that I'd be amazed to hear what the problem was considering the Dr uses a proforma for all of his patients, many of which I KNOW have had the early release of their super approved. *frustrating*

He assured me that the review would be looked at with a fresh pair of eyes and all things would be taken into account. He said he'd make a note that I'd called and am confident that the wording is correct.

Fingers crossed!
Back to top Go down
suzyhomemaker
suzyhomemaker

Female

I'm devastated Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm devastated   I'm devastated EmptyWed 14 Sep 2011, 9:15 am

Thankyou :)

chrisbychic - funny (frustrating!) thing is that when I was filling out the initial application I had the thought that the $5k might be a problem but then thought "nah, blind freddy can see that our outgoings are greater than our incomings, it'll be fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine". I'm devastated 595690

deuzzenmada - I'm glad I decided to send it in, too. I did have a few moments of thinking I should just not bother but I have a renewed sense of hope now.
Back to top Go down
duzzenmada
duzzenmada

Female

I'm devastated Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm devastated   I'm devastated EmptyWed 14 Sep 2011, 8:58 am

Fingers crossed for you Suzy! I'm glad you decided to fight on. Let us know how you get on.
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female

I'm devastated Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm devastated   I'm devastated EmptyWed 14 Sep 2011, 8:33 am

Hey, Suzy

Good on you - we anticipated this problem when we put ours in, and did a big letter explaining our situation, which went well.

I hope it all works out for you, and quickly!
Back to top Go down
suzyhomemaker
suzyhomemaker

Female

I'm devastated Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm devastated   I'm devastated EmptyWed 14 Sep 2011, 8:20 am

Thanks for the votes of confidence, ladies.

I express posted the stat dec today, explaining to them that the $5K covers the household expenses etc. Really, all the stat dec did was go into more detail about figures I'd already provided to them - that our expenses are greater than our income. Frustrating!! Fingers crossed they approve it.

Duzzenmada - I came across that post, actually. It gave me the idea to say in my stat dec that if we were to fund the surgery ourselves it would put the ownership of our house in jeopardy since we wouldnt be able to pay the mortgage repayments. Fingers crossed!!!
Back to top Go down
duzzenmada
duzzenmada

Female

I'm devastated Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm devastated   I'm devastated EmptyTue 13 Sep 2011, 12:03 pm

Hi Suzy,

I'm really sorry to hear this. Definately don't give up. I'd also suggest doing a stat dec. Explain to them that your "assets" are just your household contents- I don't think you can be expected to sell your bed and sleep on bare floor boards! As for your savings, I know I saw on one of the older posts here that someone had to explain to APRA that the small savings they had were all that stood between them and being on the street and that APRA accepted this and approved them. If the 5k is your 'buffer' so you can cover the mortgage or rent if something happens, then let them know this in the stat dec.

Please don't give up! Do the stat dec and ask to have the decision reviewed. It's a pain in the arse but I'm sure it'll be worth it.

(P.S.: Just had a quick search for that post I was talking about about. I couldn't find it but found one of Carrie's that says something similar, where she wasn't going to have the full amount she needed released. It could also be applied to fit your situation. Hope it helps.)

Subject: Re: Declined Access to Super I'm devastated Empty05/10/09, 12:27 pm

My APRA application was approved within about 3 weeks... with the kick in the teeth that they reduced the amount I was allowed to withdraw by $3,000. I rang & was told it was because that was the amount I had in my savings acct at the time of my application. I explained that that money was my contingency fund for bills etc while I was off work, and all that stood between me & living on the street should anything go wrong. The woman I spoke to suggested I write in to appeal the decision which I did. They approved the extra amount in about 10 days.

-Carrie

Last edited by duzzenmada on Tue 13 Sep 2011, 12:27 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added in P.S)
Back to top Go down
SloJo
Part of the furniture
SloJo

Female
Number of posts : 203
Registration date : 2011-05-23

I'm devastated Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm devastated   I'm devastated EmptyTue 13 Sep 2011, 7:03 am

Hi Suzy,

Sorry to hear your news. Follow it up - I have been given the impression that they prefer people to get disheartened and just not bother with chasing up extra documents, submitting letters to reconsider etc.etc. so do it...it can't hurt to keep trying.

Fingers crossed for youI'm devastated 217555
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female

I'm devastated Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm devastated   I'm devastated EmptyTue 13 Sep 2011, 3:41 am

Oh, suzy, that sucks.

However, if you put a good case to them in the affadavit, they're good at reconsidering.

Good luck!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

I'm devastated Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm devastated   I'm devastated Empty

Back to top Go down

I'm devastated
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next