Australian Gastric Sleeve Support Forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Anyone had to have their Gallbladder removed?

Go down 
+17
Melinda38
lindabinda
BFSCOTT
mirawitch
alice.r
Stretchmark Barbie
SHARI.1
Ryjackmama
Jewels (jahwilyah)
green stargazer
jennigab
didles
lovelyslim
Smurfette
Janette
100%-er
Newbie3
21 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
~Trishah~
Top Poster
Top Poster
~Trishah~

Female
Number of posts : 1954
Registration date : 2012-04-15

Anyone had to have their Gallbladder removed? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anyone had to have their Gallbladder removed?   Anyone had to have their Gallbladder removed? EmptyMon 18 Feb 2013, 8:04 am

Its just an estimated window mj... it doesnt mean the weightloss stops completely... its just that we have to work a bit more.

I sometimes think its more due to the fact that we become complacent after this period and slip back into our evil ways.
Back to top Go down
mj78
mj78

Female
Number of posts : 146
Registration date : 2012-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Anyone had to have their Gallbladder removed?   Anyone had to have their Gallbladder removed? EmptySun 17 Feb 2013, 11:11 am

Hi all, thanks for your reassuring replies - much appreciated..I guess I'm also reacting to my parents' anxieties too...

I haven't maximised my 12 onth period in terms of weight loss and am freaking out that I've "missed the boat" as they say...so confused and worried...
Back to top Go down
~Trishah~
Top Poster
Top Poster
~Trishah~

Female
Number of posts : 1954
Registration date : 2012-04-15

PostSubject: Re: Anyone had to have their Gallbladder removed?   Anyone had to have their Gallbladder removed? EmptySun 17 Feb 2013, 12:31 am

Heya MJ my lil March sister... I had my Gall out a few months ago and have never felt better. I have had zero issues with food since and even had a feed of fish and chips with no pain or digestive disturbances at all.

The op was simple and was back on my feet fit and rareing to go in 24 hours.

Good luck with it hon.... you will be fine
Back to top Go down
lindabinda
Top Poster
Top Poster
lindabinda

Female
Number of posts : 1884
Registration date : 2009-07-31

PostSubject: Re: Anyone had to have their Gallbladder removed?   Anyone had to have their Gallbladder removed? EmptySat 16 Feb 2013, 10:27 pm

I was fabulous after surgery and havent looked back! I have never had a problem with dairy and there is no difference for me since having GB removed April last year.
Surgery was a breeze, home next day!only thing different was instructed no lifting for 2 weeks. Dont remember those instructions post sleeve.
I do notice that if I have too much fat I get a slight pain. Just a reminder not to have too much fat in my diet!
Good luck,
Linda :-)
Back to top Go down
JustHayley
Part of the furniture
JustHayley

Female
Number of posts : 221
Registration date : 2012-02-04

PostSubject: Re: Anyone had to have their Gallbladder removed?   Anyone had to have their Gallbladder removed? EmptySat 16 Feb 2013, 10:06 pm

Hi mj,

I had my gall bladder out about 4 weeks ago and haven't felt better. Completely back to normal (minus the horrid pains!)

In regards to breaking down fat how I understand it is: the body still makes enough bile to digest and break down foods. Without the gall bladder it just doesnt store extra. So as long as you aren't eating fatty foods excessively (which you shouldn't be with the sleeve) then you shouldn't have any dramas.

I took it easy on the eating for about 3 or 4 days but I didn't have any troubles with eating at all after surgery.

Tolerating dairy?? I may not be the one to ask about that as I'm still testing my own theory. After being sleeved I couldn't tolerate milk and have been drinking lactose free milk. Since the gall bladder removal I have tried normal milk once again (had no lactose free) and it didn't affect me at all. So I'm treading lightly in that area wondering whether I'm now NOT lactose intolerant anymore??? Go figure! Trust be to do things backwards...

Good luck with your op! I was very nervous about having another operation after the sleeve but it was a breeze in comparison. Apart from some gas pain I was just a bit tender on day 2 and 3.

Hope this helps

Hayley
Back to top Go down
mj78
mj78

Female
Number of posts : 146
Registration date : 2012-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Anyone had to have their Gallbladder removed?   Anyone had to have their Gallbladder removed? EmptySat 16 Feb 2013, 1:01 pm

Hi all,

just wondering if I could get an update from how you're all going after GB removal. I just found out I have to get mine out in a few weeks Anyone had to have their Gallbladder removed? 716201..I'm nervous...

I had my sleeve in March 2012. In hindsight I had some GB attacks late last year, but newest and more frequent ones were this year...I've lost about 26.5kgs since sleeeve surgery...still about16.5 to 20kg to go (depending on whether you ask me or my surgeon about goal weight)...

A couple of questions:

1) how does our body break down fat without a gall bladder

2) Can you eat normally (ie sleeve normal)?

3) can you still tolerate dairy?

Thanks,
Back to top Go down
Sapphire

Female
Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2010-10-08

PostSubject: Re: Anyone had to have their Gallbladder removed?   Anyone had to have their Gallbladder removed? EmptyWed 16 Jan 2013, 5:00 am

I had my gallbladder out due to stones in September 2012, roughly 15 months post sleeve surgery. I found it a breeze and didn't need any painkillers from the day after surgery :) Good luck x
Back to top Go down
lindabinda
Top Poster
Top Poster
lindabinda

Female

PostSubject: Re: Anyone had to have their Gallbladder removed?   Anyone had to have their Gallbladder removed? EmptyThu 10 Jan 2013, 4:08 am

Hi Mel,
Personally I was amazed how well I recovered after the gall bladder surgery, probably being much lighter and fitter would have helped.
Speak to both your surgeon AND anaesthetist and let them know of your concerns, there are so many new medications they can use during surgery & anaesthetics which help immensely!
Good luck,
Linda
Back to top Go down
Melinda38
Part of the furniture
Melinda38

Female
Number of posts : 441
Registration date : 2011-09-26

PostSubject: Re: Anyone had to have their Gallbladder removed?   Anyone had to have their Gallbladder removed? EmptyThu 10 Jan 2013, 3:58 am

Have just been diagnosed with multiple stones. Will need to get my gallbladder out within the next few weeks. Not happy. Dont want to have another surgery as I have so much trouble recovering.
Back to top Go down
lindabinda
Top Poster
Top Poster
lindabinda

Female

PostSubject: Re: Anyone had to have their Gallbladder removed?   Anyone had to have their Gallbladder removed? EmptyMon 23 Jul 2012, 11:06 am

Hahahahaaaa
Yep!! Poor world, wont ever know what its missing lol!!!
Back to top Go down
alice.r
alice.r

Female
Number of posts : 121
Registration date : 2011-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Anyone had to have their Gallbladder removed?   Anyone had to have their Gallbladder removed? EmptyMon 23 Jul 2012, 9:09 am

Thanks Linda! Yeah I guess we'll have to give up on our international swimwear modelling careers now hey hahahaha.
Back to top Go down
lindabinda
Top Poster
Top Poster
lindabinda

Female

PostSubject: Re: Anyone had to have their Gallbladder removed?   Anyone had to have their Gallbladder removed? EmptyMon 23 Jul 2012, 6:55 am

Glad to hear u are doing well, I too was surprised by another 4 or 5 uts to belly, but same.... dint care!! lol
Hope u heal well!
Linda
Back to top Go down
alice.r
alice.r

Female

PostSubject: Re: Anyone had to have their Gallbladder removed?   Anyone had to have their Gallbladder removed? EmptyMon 23 Jul 2012, 6:52 am

Well I'm 5 days post gallbladder op now. Feeling good, recovery for me is nothing like with the sleeve (which for me was horrendous and very painful). Had the usual post-anesthetic blues but all good and moving around fine now with minimal pain on the op-sites. Didn't even fill the painkiller script they sent home with me, just took panadol and used hot-eze patches for the shoulder gas pain. I am having dumping syndrome, but hopefully this will clear up with time.
They did make new cuts which I didn't expect, previously they said they would use the sleeve cuts to enter, but that's not an issue for me as I don't plan on running around in a bikini anyway lol.
Back to top Go down
lindabinda
Top Poster
Top Poster
lindabinda

Female

PostSubject: Re: Anyone had to have their Gallbladder removed?   Anyone had to have their Gallbladder removed? EmptySun 22 Jul 2012, 6:55 am

Personally I never had bad attacks with my gallbladder but constant dull pain and nausea!
I felt pretty good post op and was home within 24 hours, then went on a cruise the following week, lots of snorkelling, walking etc.
Feel so much better with it gone!
Good luck!
Linda
Back to top Go down
alice.r
alice.r

Female

PostSubject: Re: Anyone had to have their Gallbladder removed?   Anyone had to have their Gallbladder removed? EmptyFri 06 Jul 2012, 12:56 am

thanks everyone :) jahwilyah- that was exactly what i was hoping to hear so thankyou! i had a shocker of a sleeve recovery and i was really struggling with the thought of another one like that.
of course now, 2 weeks before the scheduled GB op my period is 5 days late and im nauseous, yet every prego test i take comes up neg, so now i guess ill have to get a blood test to make sure 100% that im not prego before the GB op. lol typical, like clockwork up until the one month i need it! haha
Back to top Go down
BFSCOTT
Part of the furniture

Male
Number of posts : 290
Registration date : 2012-03-22

PostSubject: Re: Anyone had to have their Gallbladder removed?   Anyone had to have their Gallbladder removed? EmptyThu 05 Jul 2012, 10:04 am

I went for my pre op appointment yesterday, whilst there I got talking to a lady who had recently had a band put in and she was having trouble with her gal bladder, apparently she was very nauseous all the time it got so bad she had to ring an ambulance, she spent 12hrs at emergency only to be told nothing was wrong and she was sent home.

She'd no sooner got home and she felt very very ill (she had no pain what so ever just felt very very sick) so her friends rang for an ambulance again, this time she said take me to XYZ hospital (she didn't want to go back to the hospital she'd been to earlier) so they did as asked and they soon realised she was in some considerable trouble so did some tests and found that the gall bladder had issues so decided to operate, well low and behold her gall bladder had turned Gangreene! she was so close to death it was not funny!!

So if you do feel ill for any reason (doesn't matter what it is) and you get turned away from one hospital, keep fighting and go else where your life may well just depend on your being strong willed enough to not accept what some stupid ignorant person tells you - that there's nothing wrong when obviously there is!!

This lady very nearly became a statistic!!!
Back to top Go down
Jewels (jahwilyah)
Jewels (jahwilyah)

Female
Number of posts : 108
Registration date : 2012-03-15

PostSubject: Re: Anyone had to have their Gallbladder removed?   Anyone had to have their Gallbladder removed? EmptyThu 05 Jul 2012, 9:38 am

Hi Alice
I had my sleeve done and my gall bladder removed at the same time. The comparison between the two sides, pain wise is extraordinary because i didnt even notice the gall bladder side... the sleeve is a much more painful op with a much much longer recovery time. You will be so glad when its gone and you dont have those ghastly attacks any more.

:)
Jewels

Anyone had to have their Gallbladder removed? 63412

alice.r wrote:
hey stretchmarkbarbie, sorry to hear about your GB. how did you find the recovery in terms of pain? was it the same, better or worse than sleeve op?
i have to have my GB out on the 17th :(
Back to top Go down
mirawitch
mirawitch

Female
Number of posts : 87
Registration date : 2012-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Anyone had to have their Gallbladder removed?   Anyone had to have their Gallbladder removed? EmptyThu 05 Jul 2012, 2:27 am

I had my GB out 10 years ago as a teen ager. it is a family trait for us. I was able to eat anything afterwards but I swear I came out of hospital 10 kgs heavier. I had to buy new clothes because overnight nothing fit.

But I was home the next day and back at work 4 days later so it is nothing major, especially when compared to the attacks. i had such horrid attacks I once was lying at school on the concrete hiting my head on the concrete trying to knock myself out.

But I know a lot of people become sensitive to certain things. My mother in law can't eat anything fatty or tomatoes since having hers out and my aunt can't have anything sugary, including fruit.

I hope it works out that you don't get issues after it.
Back to top Go down
alice.r
alice.r

Female

PostSubject: Re: Anyone had to have their Gallbladder removed?   Anyone had to have their Gallbladder removed? EmptyWed 04 Jul 2012, 12:21 pm

hey stretchmarkbarbie, sorry to hear about your GB. how did you find the recovery in terms of pain? was it the same, better or worse than sleeve op?
i have to have my GB out on the 17th :(
Back to top Go down
Stretchmark Barbie
Stretchmark Barbie

Female
Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2011-12-07

PostSubject: Re: Anyone had to have their Gallbladder removed?   Anyone had to have their Gallbladder removed? EmptyThu 21 Jun 2012, 11:06 am

I had my sleeve done in January and have just had my gallbladder taken out yesterday due to terrible cases of pancreatitis and gall stones. Feeling super sorry for myself but glad to see im not the only one who needed this done
Back to top Go down
SHARI.1

Female
Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2012-06-15

PostSubject: HI I Had my Gall Bladder taken out when I lost a lot of weight with the Lapband , never looked back and it is a very simple op and takes about an hour all up if key hole.   Anyone had to have their Gallbladder removed? EmptyFri 15 Jun 2012, 12:31 pm

Ryjackmama wrote:
I was sleeved in September last year and had my first attack in April. I had a suspicion that it was gall stones, but didn't get it checked until last Friday night when I had an attack at work and couldn't move.....Mum called the Ambulance and I spent the night in hospital. Having an ultrasound this Friday to confirm and then they'll probably take it out. On the up side, I'm avoiding junk food atm like the plague and the scales are moving faster again lol. Winter comfort food.....bah.
Back to top Go down
Ryjackmama
Part of the furniture
Ryjackmama

Female
Number of posts : 317
Registration date : 2011-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Anyone had to have their Gallbladder removed?   Anyone had to have their Gallbladder removed? EmptyWed 30 May 2012, 12:31 am

I was sleeved in September last year and had my first attack in April. I had a suspicion that it was gall stones, but didn't get it checked until last Friday night when I had an attack at work and couldn't move.....Mum called the Ambulance and I spent the night in hospital. Having an ultrasound this Friday to confirm and then they'll probably take it out. On the up side, I'm avoiding junk food atm like the plague and the scales are moving faster again lol. Winter comfort food.....bah.
Back to top Go down
Jewels (jahwilyah)
Jewels (jahwilyah)

Female
Number of posts : 108
Registration date : 2012-03-15

PostSubject: Re: Anyone had to have their Gallbladder removed?   Anyone had to have their Gallbladder removed? EmptyTue 29 May 2012, 9:23 am

I had my sleeve and my gall bladder out at the same time. I had a lot of gall bladder problems. I hear its common to lose your gall bladder when you have had a sleeve op or lost a lot of weight. I know people who dont have one any more and are very glad its gone and who can still eat whatever they like and one that has to be careful of the fat content and hard to digest things like fast foods.
Back to top Go down
green stargazer
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 588
Registration date : 2011-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Anyone had to have their Gallbladder removed?   Anyone had to have their Gallbladder removed? EmptyMon 10 Oct 2011, 12:37 am

I was sleeved early May and had my first gall attack on 30 June. It took until mid August to be finally diagnosed and then removed a couple weeks later.

I'm now six weeks post gall removal op and everything seems fine, no changes to my diet as yet. I have done some research though and discovered some things to watch out for. Apologies if TMI for some .... if you notice your BM become pale, wet and/or mucousy or the need to rush to the toilet, then it can be from the foods you've eaten and too much bile being produced or dumped etc.

So far, there appear to have been only two foods that have affected me ... a mini sausage roll and a chicken sausage. I'm more than happy to avoid these in the future and only time will tell if there's anything else to watch out for.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anyone had to have their Gallbladder removed?   Anyone had to have their Gallbladder removed? EmptySun 09 Oct 2011, 10:54 pm

I had my gall bladder removed in 1998 just after giving birth to my 3rd child. Was out of hospital in 2 days and pain slowly went down. Since having the gall bladder out I have not been restricted on diet however I had to start taking Zoton to reduce the amount of acid in my stomach. The pain from the gall bladder attacks was the worst pain I could imagine!!!! All better now :D
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone had to have their Gallbladder removed?   Anyone had to have their Gallbladder removed? Empty

Back to top Go down

Anyone had to have their Gallbladder removed?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: All about the surgery :: Pre-op, Post Op, and Complications :: Complications With The Sleeve-
Jump to: