AuthorMessage
Admin
Administrator
Admin

Female
Number of posts : 1588
Registration date : 2008-05-25

What do I take to hospital? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: What do I take to hospital?   What do I take to hospital? - Page 3 EmptyMon 09 Jun 2008, 9:43 am

First topic message reminder :

Ok here's a list of ideas for those wanting to know what to take on that big day!!

Sleep Mask, or Eye Mask,

Ear Plugs,
Lip Balm.
All of your prescription medicines in their original packaging.
Any X-rays or test results from pre-op banding consultations.
CPAP machine and mask if you use one.
Own soap, shower gel, shampoo, conditioner
Hair brush or comb.
Toothpaste, tooth brush. Mouthwash
Cotton undies.
Warm bed socks (with sticky feet if you plan to walk in them, be aware some hospitals will NOT let you walk around in teds you need slippers or bed socks with sticky feet over them)
Sports top/bra or bra with no wire.
Nighties.
Loose clothes for the trip home.
Slip on shoes.
Ipod/mp3 player.
A book or magazine.
Glasses (spectacles)
Wallet.
Pillow- extra comfort and drive home.
Mobile phone and charger
Camera for those attractive gown shots
TV guide
Pen & paper
Moisturiser
Chewing gum
Cardigan

Some other ideas are:
Portable DVD Player,
Laptop-especially for the bored but loving support person
CPAP machine
Medication, in original packaging
TV guide
Pen & paper
Moisturiser
Chewing gum
Cardigan

NB: It may be advisable to call and ask the hospital in advance if they allow some of the above mentioned items, such as electronics. You may also need to check if they allow internet access also.
I will edit this list as more items are added. Thanks team for all your input!!

Last edited by Hayley on Tue 22 Jul 2008, 7:14 am; edited 8 times in total
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
butterfly girl
Part of the furniture

Number of posts : 412
Registration date : 2010-05-24

PostSubject: Re: What do I take to hospital?   What do I take to hospital? - Page 3 EmptySat 16 Oct 2010, 9:46 am

i found soft leggings and t-shirts the best.
as you need to keep moving.... my pj pants kept falling off...

and lip balm
and a non smelly body wash for the first day.... if your nausiated the sweet ones will make worse!!

I also think a bottle of bio oil. use on your face and neck to reduce the wrinkles as you loose.... i have lost all the laugh lines around eyes, and mouth and my forhead is smooth again look 10 years younger using it twice a day.
Back to top Go down
Lisa1

Female
Number of posts : 146
Registration date : 2010-08-16

PostSubject: Re: What do I take to hospital?   What do I take to hospital? - Page 3 EmptySat 16 Oct 2010, 7:21 am

wendypicko wrote:
Thanks Lisa
Don't think i'll take a dressing gown but will put up with pj's not going out to buy nightie's as i just bought the pj's and i don't normally wear either, the pants have draw string so will loosen it off and hope for the best
Thx again

lol, you sound just like me, I dont wear anything so I bought 3 new nighties just for the surgery. I get all tangled in pj's
What do I take to hospital? - Page 3 2329
Back to top Go down
wendypicko
wendypicko

Female
Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2010-07-30

PostSubject: Re: What do I take to hospital?   What do I take to hospital? - Page 3 EmptySat 16 Oct 2010, 6:54 am

Thanks Lisa
Don't think i'll take a dressing gown but will put up with pj's not going out to buy nightie's as i just bought the pj's and i don't normally wear either, the pants have draw string so will loosen it off and hope for the best
Thx again
Back to top Go down
Lisa1

Female

PostSubject: Re: What do I take to hospital?   What do I take to hospital? - Page 3 EmptyThu 14 Oct 2010, 5:08 am

I didnt touch my laptop, magazines, ipod, suduko's, etc but I had complications & 2 lots of surgeries & didnt even turn the tv on until Day 8
I would still take them as most people recover well from the surgery & you might be bored.
Monitoring is mainly the 4 hours post op & then generally 4 hourly & the doctor usually only visits once a day.
Back to top Go down
TraceyD
Part of the furniture
TraceyD

Female
Number of posts : 268
Registration date : 2010-09-06

PostSubject: Re: What do I take to hospital?   What do I take to hospital? - Page 3 EmptyThu 14 Oct 2010, 3:53 am

I must go and check out Chemist Warehouse for the hoteeze! What a great idea!
Just wondering, I see in the list Magazines, laptops, dvd players. Is there alot of down time while you are there after op?
As a mother of 3 who is absolutely exhausted, I got butterflies when I read that. The thought of being able to read a magazine back to front excites me! lol
No seriously, is there down time or is it all doctors check ups and nurses monitoring etc?
Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
Lisa1

Female

PostSubject: Re: What do I take to hospital?   What do I take to hospital? - Page 3 EmptyThu 14 Oct 2010, 1:15 am

I took my dressing gown & in the 9 days I was there didnt wear it.
When I walked with the physio it was just in my nightie & I had a picc line in my upper arm & a drain tube so it got to hard to wear the dressing gown.
I also bought nighties to wear not pj's as then there was nothing over my wounds & drain tube.
Back to top Go down
wendypicko
wendypicko

Female
Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2010-07-30

PostSubject: Re: What do I take to hospital?   What do I take to hospital? - Page 3 EmptyThu 14 Oct 2010, 1:05 am

Does anyone know if you need to take dressing gown i plan on pj's with loose fitting elastic on pants or boxer shorts with tops and slippers but didn't want to drag along my big fluufy dressing gown any suggestions!!
Back to top Go down
PiercedMumma08
Top Poster
Top Poster
PiercedMumma08

Female
Number of posts : 1702
Registration date : 2010-04-05

PostSubject: Re: What do I take to hospital?   What do I take to hospital? - Page 3 EmptyFri 27 Aug 2010, 12:52 am

Hi guys

They handed me those paper undies- like 15 sizes too small and I just handed them back and said - im not wearing those. Id rather have gone commando than wear those things.

The undies i had were just plain cotton, and were not going to be in the way- so I said to the nurse, look if they are a problem I will take them off- but I am not wearing those things.

So I was able to wear my own- they did get the antiseptic thing on them but they were ok.

I didnt get into trouble about it or anything so thats good.

I also took a lip balm, moisturiser and nighties- I tried PJ's but they were just on the uncomfy side with a swollen tummy. The first shower is good- I had nurses with me because I was nearly fainting and they used all of my own products. Felt awesome.

Also, your favourite pillow is the best. The hospital pillows arent so wonderful!

Good luck!

Nat
Back to top Go down
DancingOnTheInside
Part of the furniture
DancingOnTheInside

Female
Number of posts : 305
Registration date : 2010-04-03

PostSubject: Re: What do I take to hospital?   What do I take to hospital? - Page 3 EmptyFri 18 Jun 2010, 1:26 pm

Hi BrendaBee

Different hospitals and different surgeons do different things.

I was able to wear my panties as they were not going to interfere with the 'work surface'.

Bras weren't able to be worn for the surgery as they need to access your innards via a small cut just underneath where the bottom of your bra would sit, and need access to the top of your chest to place monitoring pads etc. I don't think I would have been able to deal with a bra straight after surgery anyway as in one wrist I had two cannulas and couldn't have hooked or unhooked my bra. I don't think the pressure of a bra would have been very comfortable on the incision site either. Some ladies take crop top sports type bras in for the hospital stay.

I didn't use any of my own jammies as the hospital gowns were really quite good and made life very easy.

x
Doti
Back to top Go down
Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Janette

Female
Number of posts : 4341
Registration date : 2009-09-13

PostSubject: Re: What do I take to hospital?   What do I take to hospital? - Page 3 EmptyFri 18 Jun 2010, 1:16 pm

No knickers or bra to theatre What do I take to hospital? - Page 3 427584

4 of my wounds were right on the waist line, so PJ's a tad uncomfortable.
Back to top Go down
BrendaBee
BrendaBee

Female
Number of posts : 103
Registration date : 2010-05-13

PostSubject: Re: What do I take to hospital?   What do I take to hospital? - Page 3 EmptyFri 18 Jun 2010, 12:56 pm

I noticed you said a nightie. Are pj pants not a good thing to wear? Also do you wear a bra during the op or does it all hang out? and what about nickers - do they give you some or should i take some to wear?
Back to top Go down
Emily
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 1180
Registration date : 2010-04-12

PostSubject: Re: What do I take to hospital?   What do I take to hospital? - Page 3 EmptyFri 21 May 2010, 4:15 am

Just take boxers or whatever you normally wear, and they will give you a hospital gown which is easiest while you're in there.
Back to top Go down
catbert6
catbert6

Male
Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2010-03-05

PostSubject: Re: What do I take to hospital?   What do I take to hospital? - Page 3 EmptyFri 21 May 2010, 4:01 am

Hi all - just starting to get my stuff together ready to go into Calvary (ACT) on 26th, and was wondering what the recommended in-hospital attire was for blokes? I know hospital staff have strong stomaches but three days of me in my birthday suit might strain the friendship
Back to top Go down
Emily
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 1180
Registration date : 2010-04-12

PostSubject: Re: What do I take to hospital?   What do I take to hospital? - Page 3 EmptyMon 12 Apr 2010, 9:05 am

You can buy those Hotteeze sticky heat pads at Chemist Warehouse too.
Back to top Go down
darkstar
Part of the furniture
darkstar

Female
Number of posts : 1144
Registration date : 2010-01-11

PostSubject: Re: What do I take to hospital?   What do I take to hospital? - Page 3 EmptySun 04 Apr 2010, 8:39 am

TAKE IN EARPLUGS.

Other patients can be amazingly noisy in the night!

We weren't allowed to take heat packs into the Ashford.

We were asked to take in any meds we normally take, and our scripts for them.
Back to top Go down
bettinajayne
bettinajayne

Female
Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2010-03-22

PostSubject: Re: What do I take to hospital?   What do I take to hospital? - Page 3 EmptySun 04 Apr 2010, 8:13 am

I reckon the day after the op you feel like crap- and the first shower you have is the best.. I took some LUSH shower gel and I reckon that I felt better cos i smelt awesome.
Heat packs helped, meds helped but a little bit of normal-ness and luxury in a crazy situation helped too.
I also took a small bottle of flat diet lemonade, my comfy nightie and a pair of fuzzy pink slippers.

If anyone doesnt know what lush is.. check it out www.lush.com.au
Back to top Go down
gretel_au2001
gretel_au2001

Female
Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2010-04-03

PostSubject: Hoteeze sticks   What do I take to hospital? - Page 3 EmptySat 03 Apr 2010, 8:26 pm

Morning all. I've just ordered some of the Hoteeze sticks for Clare. Sound useful to have around the house for back pain etc anyway :)
Lissa
Back to top Go down
fatnomore
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 526
Registration date : 2009-12-30

PostSubject: Re: What do I take to hospital?   What do I take to hospital? - Page 3 EmptyTue 09 Feb 2010, 12:43 pm

fantastic list... thanks guys..

and I just ordered the hottezz.... they sound great!
Back to top Go down
Kyles
Part of the furniture
Kyles

Female
Number of posts : 932
Registration date : 2008-11-07

PostSubject: Re: What do I take to hospital?   What do I take to hospital? - Page 3 EmptySat 19 Sep 2009, 10:41 pm

ooooooohhh good idea!!! I lived on Ginger beer during all my pregnancies...it really helped!!! **off to buy some ginger cordial**
Back to top Go down
lindabinda
Top Poster
Top Poster
lindabinda

Female
Number of posts : 1884
Registration date : 2009-07-31

PostSubject: Re: What do I take to hospital?   What do I take to hospital? - Page 3 EmptySat 19 Sep 2009, 9:54 am

Hey all pre ops...... It may be worth taking a bottle of ginger cordial to hospital with you for the sipping stage, ginger is a known nausea reliever and it did seem to help me.
Always worth a try and it was suggested by my dietitian.
Good Luck :)
Back to top Go down
Carrie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Carrie

Female
Number of posts : 2601
Registration date : 2009-09-17

PostSubject: Re: What do I take to hospital?   What do I take to hospital? - Page 3 EmptyFri 18 Sep 2009, 2:08 pm

Great recommendations. I'll be packing my bag this weekend based on your advice and have just ordered some of the heatpads.
Thanks to all - Carrie
Back to top Go down
Kyles
Part of the furniture
Kyles

Female

PostSubject: Re: What do I take to hospital?   What do I take to hospital? - Page 3 EmptyFri 18 Sep 2009, 4:21 am

Hmmm just thought about a recent conversation I was having with a friend who gave me an idea about unwanted visitors whilst recovering....get the nurses to screen who comes to visit, the nurses can then come in and tell you who it is and you can decide if you are up to seeing them (or want to) and if not the nurse can just say sorry she's asleep :)

Its a much nicer way to say No I dont want you here right now...lol

Only my family and best mates are entering my room whilst I am in my glory!
Back to top Go down
Kyles
Part of the furniture
Kyles

Female

PostSubject: Re: What do I take to hospital?   What do I take to hospital? - Page 3 EmptyThu 17 Sep 2009, 7:00 am

What an awesome service!! I ordered these on monday night and paid via DD (our banks arent even the same) and it arrived via express post wednesday morning...that has blown me away
Back to top Go down
lindabinda
Top Poster
Top Poster
lindabinda

Female
Number of posts : 1884
Registration date : 2009-07-31

PostSubject: Re: What do I take to hospital?   What do I take to hospital? - Page 3 EmptyTue 15 Sep 2009, 12:56 am

They are just fabulous.....could be bigger but because they stay hot for such a long time it's not a problem to use 2.
We had Japanese exchange students stay a few years back and they brought them with them, you could even use them as hand warmers in the colder areas in winter!
Back to top Go down
Bella ..... xo
Sponsor

Female
Number of posts : 1299
Registration date : 2008-10-29

PostSubject: Re: What do I take to hospital?   What do I take to hospital? - Page 3 EmptyMon 14 Sep 2009, 2:39 pm

Hiya LindaBinda

to be honest i wondered about the wonderful wet towel heat packs & OH&S....
maybe we were given special treatment
cos the lady next to me was a staff member & nurse
or maybe they still do them at The Mater in Townsville

but it is a wonderful heatpack & can be easily made
up at home

I have never heard of the heatsticks
they sound great !

cheers all
Bella...xx
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What do I take to hospital?   What do I take to hospital? - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

What do I take to hospital?
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next