5 posters
AuthorMessage
Travelling_bombshell
Travelling_bombshell

Female
Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2015-12-04

Did anyone go alone to the hospital?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Did anyone go alone to the hospital?    Did anyone go alone to the hospital?  EmptySun 07 Feb 2016, 4:08 am

Hi bqueen80,

Just remember that there may still be put of pocket costs associated with the surgery.

I have PHI but I am out of pocket the following:

$2600 - Surgeons fee
$400 - Anaesthetist fee
$250 - Hospital admission fee

Everyone's out of pocket costs will be different but just wanted to let you know roughly what the costs are.

good luck :)

Tara
Back to top Go down
bqueen80

Female
Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2016-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Did anyone go alone to the hospital?    Did anyone go alone to the hospital?  EmptyWed 27 Jan 2016, 8:04 am

Hi  ladies, thanks A LOT for your comments. 

I've already checked with my insurance (and the possible hospitals) and I will be covered  by the time i want to be sleeved, so i think i have all my out of pocket expenses clear by now.  

My appointment with the surgeon is on 11th Feb and I'm already planning to go to the GP for the referral letter. 

Regarding the days off, i was thinking on around 3-5 since i can work from home afterwards, in case i don't feel well. So my planning was to have the first week off as the official sick leave (my boss will not give me holidays...long story)  and 2nd week to work from home , which is feasible and i can manage my workload to not be very busy those days .

I don't drive so that would not be a problem. 

and thanks Lisa, it's very heartwarming to know there are people experiencing the same willing to support me. i'll tell you once i sort it out my doubts with the surgeon. 

thanks again
Back to top Go down
marjo

Female
Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2015-12-07

PostSubject: Re: Did anyone go alone to the hospital?    Did anyone go alone to the hospital?  EmptyWed 27 Jan 2016, 4:35 am

bqueen 80

You will have to check with your surgeon but you may not be able to drive after surgery for a couple of weeks, if you drive without a clearance the insurance company will not cover you. 

having 3 - 5 days off I think will be pushing it too hard, you will have to ask surgeon about this too. 

If you have only been in australia for 10 months, are you self funding? If you have health insurance it wont kick in untill 12 months. 

I would start with GP and then get surgeons appointment, and go from there. Make sure you ask all these questions at your appointment. 

Good luck
Back to top Go down
strangelyenough
strangelyenough

Female
Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2014-11-26

PostSubject: Re: Did anyone go alone to the hospital?    Did anyone go alone to the hospital?  EmptyWed 27 Jan 2016, 4:34 am

Hi bqueen80, 

I've been in Australia for 6 years but hardly know anyone (been in Sydney almost 12 months), and don't have family local to call upon. As it happens my sister decided to come and visit (from NZ) to look after me for the first couple of weeks, but I was preparing to have to go it alone as well. 

As long as I'm well by the time you have your surgery (I'm being sleeved in Feb), I'd be more than happy to make myself available if you need help. It's always good to have more friends - especially those that know what you're going through. 

Cheers
Lisa
Back to top Go down
Box of Jewels
Part of the furniture
Box of Jewels

Female
Number of posts : 637
Registration date : 2015-01-14

PostSubject: Re: Did anyone go alone to the hospital?    Did anyone go alone to the hospital?  EmptyWed 27 Jan 2016, 3:46 am

Welcome!

Yes, I think it's more than feasible to get to and be in the hospital by yourself.  
My hospital wanted a named person arranged to take me home - but, I saw another go home in a taxi.  It may depend on how easy it is to get into your house etc.   You'd want to pack light so you don't have to cart things in!

I would definately talk to my surgeon about it though - he may suggest an extra night.

If all goes well, then you don't really need a nurse or home care after.  It's better that you get up and move and be self caring anyway.  

I think the sick leave for only 3-5 days is pushing it.  In america, it's the norm - but I would have struggled with that.  Perhaps you have a very sedentary job - but really, you are going to feel knackered for a bit - even 8 hours in an office just 5 days post op will take it out on you.

So, if it was me, I'd be looking to wait until I could have some holiday leave or whatever to use as well.  

You may have plenty of time - while you may want it in 2 months, you have to get a referral from a GP first, and then not all surgeons will see you immediately, and many than have a bit of time before they will operate too.  

Perhaps in that time you could link up with local sleevers online, who could perhaps check in on you, if only by phone, a couple times a day post op.  And you could return the favour too?  Just to make sure you are all ok at home by yourself.
Back to top Go down
bqueen80

Female
Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2016-01-26

PostSubject: Did anyone go alone to the hospital?    Did anyone go alone to the hospital?  EmptyTue 26 Jan 2016, 11:00 pm

Hi there, 

I am thinking on having the sleeve in 2 months in Sydney.I am quite new in Australia (only 10 months here)  and I don't have relatives or friends here, only work colleagues. Also, I don't want to mention at the office that I'm going for the surgery so I have some concerns. Maybe you can help me

• do you think it's feasible to stay alone at the hospital? for the way back i plan to take a taxi
  • once at home, is it necessary to have someone with you? I think I'll manage to do the things by myself if I leave everything ready before (food, cleaning,clothes,etc..) but I am worried in case something unexpected happens. 
  • i can't take holidays at work, so is it possible to have the sick leave for 3-5 days? If so, how do you manage? (as said, i am new in australia so i have not even gone to the GP yet)
  • as i don't want to tell about the surgery at work, what were the excuses you gave in the workplace? 

I was also thinking to look for a nurse or a homecare for the recovery but I don't know where to start looking at and if the price it's going to be excessive.

I am so excited :-) and a little bit worried . Thanks for your comments!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Did anyone go alone to the hospital?    Did anyone go alone to the hospital?  Empty

Back to top Go down

Did anyone go alone to the hospital?
Page 1 of 1