Australian Gastric Sleeve Support Forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

So what can I expect after my operation?

Go down 
+4
mumof4
fatnomore
pominoz
Peta
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Peta
Peta

Female
Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2011-04-10

So what can I expect after my operation? Empty
PostSubject: Re: So what can I expect after my operation?   So what can I expect after my operation? EmptyMon 02 May 2011, 9:56 am

Thanks guys for all of your helpful hints etc. I am just so excited I want it to be here already. I should be grateful that I was approved by APRA and I am getting it done finally. I think I will take a combination of nighties and pants and I will more than likely just wear their clothes in the end LOL!
Back to top Go down
*Lib*
Top Poster
Top Poster
*Lib*

Female
Number of posts : 1594
Registration date : 2009-03-31

PostSubject: Re: So what can I expect after my operation?   So what can I expect after my operation? EmptyMon 02 May 2011, 9:07 am

I took a huge suitcase. Just about all I used was my toothbrush, and clean knickers. Oh and for the record.....posting whilst on morphine makes for some interesting reading afterwards!!!

I spent the first 2 days just nodding on and off.........
Back to top Go down
Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Janette

Female
Number of posts : 4341
Registration date : 2009-09-13

PostSubject: Re: So what can I expect after my operation?   So what can I expect after my operation? EmptyMon 02 May 2011, 8:06 am

No bleeding here, wounds didn't ooze at all, plus I didn't have a drain.

One of the reasons I stayed in the hospital gown as it was easier to get in and out of with the drip. Plus 4 of my incisions where on the waist line, reason for nightie not pj's.
I put my own clothes on once the drip was capped.

I hardly used any of the stuff I took with me to hospital.
I didn't do any reading, watched a bit of TV that was in my room.
Think I napped most of the time.

Good luck with your surgery.

So what can I expect after my operation? 217555 So what can I expect after my operation? 217555
Back to top Go down
Moto Moto
Moto Moto

Male
Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2011-04-19

PostSubject: Re: So what can I expect after my operation?   So what can I expect after my operation? EmptyMon 02 May 2011, 7:32 am

Peta wrote:
Thanks everyone, now people keep mentioning bleeding. Where are we going to be bleeding from? Sorry to be so vague! I just can't imagine. I can't see why we would bleed from the "plumbing" end, but why would our wounds bleed? I really am clueless!!

Ahh sorry Peta :\

Sometimes I just can't help being silly... I didn't mean to say we'll bleed cos I'm hoping we won't!!! Best of luck and congrats on going ahead with it!
Back to top Go down
mumof4
mumof4

Female
Number of posts : 137
Registration date : 2011-01-29

PostSubject: Re: So what can I expect after my operation?   So what can I expect after my operation? EmptyMon 02 May 2011, 7:19 am

Hi Peta,

Yep I have lost 22 kilos since the surgery, I haven't done much exercise at all. I thought I would wait to get into lots of exercise when my weight loss starts to slow down. I am amazed how quick it is coming off. I am sure it will slow down soon though.

In regards to the bleeding I think they mean from the 5 incision wounds you will have, sometimes they weep a little. Mine didn't though. Any other questions u have ask away.

xoxoxo Nicki
Back to top Go down
Peta
Peta

Female

PostSubject: Re: So what can I expect after my operation?   So what can I expect after my operation? EmptyMon 02 May 2011, 6:10 am

Hey Nicki

Have you seriously lost all of that weight since the surgery? We are about the same weight. That hasn't taken you long at all! Have you been doing serious excercise?

Pete

mumof4 wrote:
Hi Peta,

In hospital I wore the the tie up pj pants and tshirts. They were comfy. The first 24 hours is pretty rough. I was so hungry that I was vomiting. Once I started free fluids I was right.
I took magazines, books and a DVD player in there and did not touch any of it.

I was only hungry that first day, but when I started the free fluids I was no longer hungry. Now 3 months out I am never hungry and I have to remind myself to eat. Just remember every ones experiences are different, some people feel fantastic from the moment they come out of theatre, some feel terrible, some are hungry, some aren't.

Good luck with it, see you on the other side. You will never regret getting sleeved.

xoxoxo Nicki
Back to top Go down
Peta
Peta

Female

PostSubject: Re: So what can I expect after my operation?   So what can I expect after my operation? EmptyMon 02 May 2011, 6:08 am

Thanks everyone, now people keep mentioning bleeding. Where are we going to be bleeding from? Sorry to be so vague! I just can't imagine. I can't see why we would bleed from the "plumbing" end, but why would our wounds bleed? I really am clueless!!
Back to top Go down
Moto Moto
Moto Moto

Male
Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2011-04-19

PostSubject: Re: So what can I expect after my operation?   So what can I expect after my operation? EmptyMon 02 May 2011, 5:12 am

I'm going to take:

• iPhone
  • Laptop
  • USB Modem
  • Headphones
  • External hard drive full of movies
  • Chargers for all of the above
  • Books
  • My own lovely pillow

As for PJs, why ruin my own when they provide us with a lovely white gown for bleeding on???

So what can I expect after my operation? 314562

Last edited by LifeAdventure on Thu 05 May 2011, 5:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
bubbles
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 207
Registration date : 2010-07-21

PostSubject: Re: So what can I expect after my operation?   So what can I expect after my operation? EmptyMon 02 May 2011, 3:39 am

I would say take LOTS of mags cos I didn't sleep at all! I also wore PJs cos it was easier access to the wounds and I also had the cuffs on my legs but they were over the top and they were fine. Couldn't wait to take the paper undies off!!!

Everyone is different - you should probably be prepared for all situations.

Good luck.
Back to top Go down
mumof4
mumof4

Female
Number of posts : 137
Registration date : 2011-01-29

PostSubject: Re: So what can I expect after my operation?   So what can I expect after my operation? EmptyMon 02 May 2011, 1:50 am

Hi Peta,

In hospital I wore the the tie up pj pants and tshirts. They were comfy. The first 24 hours is pretty rough. I was so hungry that I was vomiting. Once I started free fluids I was right.
I took magazines, books and a DVD player in there and did not touch any of it.

I was only hungry that first day, but when I started the free fluids I was no longer hungry. Now 3 months out I am never hungry and I have to remind myself to eat. Just remember every ones experiences are different, some people feel fantastic from the moment they come out of theatre, some feel terrible, some are hungry, some aren't.

Good luck with it, see you on the other side. You will never regret getting sleeved.

xoxoxo Nicki
Back to top Go down
fatnomore
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 526
Registration date : 2009-12-30

PostSubject: Re: So what can I expect after my operation?   So what can I expect after my operation? EmptyMon 02 May 2011, 1:48 am

I stayed in the gown the whole time due to the drain and blood etc...I obviously wore a dressing gown over it when I got up etc... yes take 1 mag and you wont even get to the end..you will walk,sleep,sip,watch tv,sleep...off your face on drugs... take basic toiletry and a comfie trackie for going home..take a pillow so you have a comfie one and also it can go over your belly under the seatbelt for the drive home.

Hunger..I dont get hungry,occasionally I get the whole rumbling in the tummy but thats about it..I still snack too much but thats out of habit and boredom and trying to avoid housework..lol
Back to top Go down
Peta
Peta

Female

PostSubject: Re: So what can I expect after my operation?   So what can I expect after my operation? EmptyMon 02 May 2011, 1:00 am

And is it true that you just don't worry about food anymore? Are your hunger pangs gone for good?
Back to top Go down
pominoz
pominoz

Female
Number of posts : 160
Registration date : 2010-12-21

PostSubject: Re: So what can I expect after my operation?   So what can I expect after my operation? EmptyMon 02 May 2011, 12:27 am

The first night I just stayed in the hospital gown, the second day I changed into a nightie that was easy to thread the iv drip through. I found it better to wear a nightie as the dr liked us to wear those cuffs that pump up around your calfs.

I wouldnt worry about packing heaps of things as you will most likely sleep the first day and then the second and third is concentrating on sipping and walking. I took two magazines and didn't even touch them. I mostly watched or listened rather to the tv and slept.
Back to top Go down
Peta
Peta

Female

PostSubject: So what can I expect after my operation?   So what can I expect after my operation? EmptySun 01 May 2011, 11:46 pm

I have read a thread that Janette posted to me about what to take to hospital and that was very interesting. It was filled with useful information.

I'm wondering what I am going to be like straight after the op'?? Some people in the other thread said to wear nighties because you are bloated and another person said not wear bottoms because they fall down. Does your tummy shrink straight after the surgery or does it bloat up like a dirty ol' toad fish?? How much did people lose straight after the surgery?

I'm just so excited and nervous about the unknown. Would love to hear peoples stories I suppose.
So what can I expect after my operation? 725676
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So what can I expect after my operation?   So what can I expect after my operation? Empty

Back to top Go down

So what can I expect after my operation?
Page 1 of 1