15 posters
AuthorMessage
lucy i
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 209
Registration date : 2009-02-15

PCOS and Metformin Empty
PostSubject: Re: PCOS and Metformin   PCOS and Metformin EmptyTue 15 Sep 2009, 2:18 pm

Thanks so much for the response guys. I thought that the answer would be low carb/sugar and more exercise. I'll give it a go and let you know the results.

Thanks again

Lucy.
Back to top Go down
lisab
Part of the furniture
lisab

Female
Number of posts : 227
Registration date : 2008-09-04

PCOS and Metformin Empty
PostSubject: Re: PCOS and Metformin   PCOS and Metformin EmptyTue 15 Sep 2009, 5:48 am

Hi Lucy,
I was in a study group for PCOS at the Womens Hospital in Melbourne about 10 yrs ago, it was basically to help PCOS sufferers with fertility problems. They firstly put us on Metformin, then we had to reduce carbs and eliminate sugar, we were told to use splenda instead, we were banned from drinking any diet sodas (as the artificial sweetener in those is not good for you) and we had to increase our protein but not by much and have more fruit (not juice) and vegies. The big thing was that we had to go to an hour long areobics class they set up at the hospital for us 3 times a week. I lost 10kgs in 6wks just by doing these things and that was pretty much the average loss for all of us and I also managed to fall pregnant within 4mths of starting with the group (after trying for two yrs unsuccessfully).

Lisab
Back to top Go down
raisedbycats
Part of the furniture
raisedbycats

Female
Number of posts : 472
Registration date : 2009-03-02

PCOS and Metformin Empty
PostSubject: Re: PCOS and Metformin   PCOS and Metformin EmptyMon 14 Sep 2009, 10:10 pm

Hi Lucy,

I have to say I think that 3kg a month is pretty good so well done! Is PCOS related in any way to insulin resistance? If so then you may have some success reducing carbs and increasing protein.
Back to top Go down
lucy i
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 209
Registration date : 2009-02-15

PCOS and Metformin Empty
PostSubject: Re: PCOS and Metformin   PCOS and Metformin EmptyMon 14 Sep 2009, 3:02 pm

I've been thinking - I have PCOs and my weight lost is very slow, but steady - despite not eating very much calorie wise. I'm averaging 3kg a month since surgery 4 months ago (not counting 1 month when i lost 6kg).
For everyone else with PCO has your experience been the same?
Is there anyone that has PCO and has been able to drop the kilos quickly?
Has anyone found anything to help it move along faster? - no carbs, exercise etc?
I assume the insulin resistance has something to do with it.

Would really appreciate as much feed back as possible.

Thanks lovelies.

Lucy i
Back to top Go down

PCOS and Metformin Empty
PostSubject: Re: PCOS and Metformin   PCOS and Metformin EmptySat 04 Jul 2009, 9:54 am

PCOS and Metformin 355206

I have PCOS and have 3 children.
Baby boy number 1 (13yrs) fluke, Baby girl 1(5yrs) I used Maybe baby & OPK's but had all my bloods checked to see how my hormones were going all was close to normal as I can be.Baby girl (angel) hormones were all over the place OPK'S & Maybe baby gave wrong readings BBT & CM helped me fall pregnant. Baby boy number 2 (1yr) My hormones were all over the place still. I was place on Metformin, Maybe baby & OPK's didn't work, BUT the digital OPK's & BBT & CM monitoring DID work. I went to a site called Fertility Friend and was able to put in my Digital OPK's,BBT and my CM readings daily. It was very helpful.

When at the seminar the Dr said PCOS can be made better with weight loss, with the weight loss our hormones become better balanced and ovulation more likely. My RE (Reproductive Endocrinologist) put me on metformin for 2 things

1.Metformin has been found to facilitate ovulation in some women with PCOS

2.REDUCED RISK OF MISCARRIAGE. Another aspect of PCOS-related infertility is the tendency for repeated miscarriages. If being helped by a RE they like you to stay on Metformin for the first trimester.

I hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
ozpatty
ozpatty

Female
Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2009-04-10

PCOS and Metformin Empty
PostSubject: Re: PCOS and Metformin   PCOS and Metformin EmptyFri 24 Apr 2009, 4:53 pm

Hey Chrysta,
i've got PCOS and all the little nasties that go with it.
I'd be very interested to see how the will end up once Ihave lost this weight.
I have to see my Gyno next month for my regular "checks" and I will question him about
that. I'll let you know....
Trish
Back to top Go down
http://www.tickerfactory.com/weight-loss/wTMLGtu/
Deb
Sponsor
Deb

Female
Number of posts : 1924
Registration date : 2008-12-17

PCOS and Metformin Empty
PostSubject: Re: PCOS and Metformin   PCOS and Metformin EmptyFri 24 Apr 2009, 1:12 pm

Can't wait Janey!
Back to top Go down
Janey
Sponsor
Janey

Female
Number of posts : 2872
Registration date : 2008-11-22

PCOS and Metformin Empty
PostSubject: Re: PCOS and Metformin   PCOS and Metformin EmptyFri 24 Apr 2009, 12:39 pm

I'll visit you Deb.
I'll bring you lots of lovely toffees to gum up those false teeth.
We can stare at nothing with rheumy old eyes and drool together.
Like those two old dears on Fast Forward (Magda and Marg Downey). What, what..........what??????

Hugs,
Back to top Go down
Deb
Sponsor
Deb

Female
Number of posts : 1924
Registration date : 2008-12-17

PCOS and Metformin Empty
PostSubject: Re: PCOS and Metformin   PCOS and Metformin EmptyFri 24 Apr 2009, 10:50 am

Christa, can't help. Have remained barren by circumstances (at first), then choice (in recent years) LOL. Will probably wind up a spinster with nobody visiting her in the oldies home.
Back to top Go down

PCOS and Metformin Empty
PostSubject: PCOS after sleeve   PCOS and Metformin EmptyFri 24 Apr 2009, 1:38 am

PCOS and Metformin 355206

I was hoping to hear from a few of the ladies who have PCOS and what the sleeve has done for them. The Drs found that I had PCOS when I was very very young and since giving birth to my first son (13yrs ago) the real symptoms started. I have the weight issues,two & a half time more testosterone than I should have which has lead me to have alittle bit of facial hair and the joy of having min 6 ovarian cysts per cycle . I don't have insulin resistance, or diabetes which is a HUGE blessing even with all of the sweets I eat (not all of the time but I binge at certain times eg stress). I'm hoping that the sleeve will help me get this under control.

PCOS and Metformin 618285
Back to top Go down
antoinette7774

Female
Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2008-10-20

PCOS and Metformin Empty
PostSubject: Re: PCOS and Metformin   PCOS and Metformin EmptySun 01 Mar 2009, 12:24 pm

Hi PCOS ladies
My endo and surgeon in Australia said that the sleeve and to a lesser extent the band could basically reverse the symptoms of PCOS. The excess weight produces excess insulin which makes it harder to lose the weight and also effects the cycle length. I've lost 12kg in 6 weeks and I haven't used the metformin for the last month. Previously I was on 2000mg but after losing the weight so far my cycle is back to 28 days instead of 32 days. I think personally the sleeve has been the best decision I've made for my health.
Cheers Antoinette
Back to top Go down

PCOS and Metformin Empty
PostSubject: Re: PCOS and Metformin   PCOS and Metformin EmptySun 08 Feb 2009, 12:56 pm

i had PCOS but wasn't treated with metformin. I used aldactone. Mine was from a side effect of epilim and after a year on aldactone it went away but i had also stopped epilim.

weight loss does help PCos only thing is it's harder to lose weight if you have PCOS, so a bit of a catch 22 situation

there is a forum called soulcysters with heaps of info
Back to top Go down
snow1081
Part of the furniture
snow1081

Female
Number of posts : 242
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PCOS and Metformin Empty
PostSubject: Re: PCOS and Metformin   PCOS and Metformin EmptySun 08 Feb 2009, 10:55 am

Hi,

if I have PCOS, will getting sleeved help me lose weight?? I mean a lot of the weight??
Back to top Go down
Jelle
Jelle

Female
Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2008-10-05

PCOS and Metformin Empty
PostSubject: Re: PCOS and Metformin   PCOS and Metformin EmptyFri 02 Jan 2009, 1:22 pm

Hello girlies...
Just wondering if any 'mature' sleeves - ie.. who have been sleved longer then me! (4weeks) lol
have been able to come off any of their PCOS meds - like metformin, the pill etc.
Its just you get it drilled into you about how when you lose weight the PCOS will get better or even go away ( some drs. are so clueless!!) - but Im just wondering how much weight - and how long it takes- or is it just an excuse they use!

"come back when youve lost 20 kgs" lol

Thank you!
x elle
Back to top Go down
http://www.ellehobson.com
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female
Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

PCOS and Metformin Empty
PostSubject: Re: PCOS and Metformin   PCOS and Metformin EmptySun 06 Jul 2008, 2:29 pm

How do I know the metaformin is working more than needed damn dman damn periods even when on the pill . This is so annoying. I never had this when my blood sugars where high, now they are fully controled the metaformin is doing its job to well.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Admin

Female
Number of posts : 1588
Registration date : 2008-05-25

PCOS and Metformin Empty
PostSubject: Re: PCOS and Metformin   PCOS and Metformin EmptySun 06 Jul 2008, 2:17 pm

Hannikins,
the maybe baby does work with PCOS, it worked for me and I did fall pregnant...

Hayley
Back to top Go down
hannykins
hannykins

Female
Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2008-07-06

PCOS and Metformin Empty
PostSubject: Re: PCOS and Metformin   PCOS and Metformin EmptySun 06 Jul 2008, 11:27 am

Maybe Baby doesn't work for women with PCOS. When I didn't ovulate it showed a ferm. I knew I didn't ovulate cuz later I got my Day 21 test back. The hormones in our bodies are different.

Your Dr should monitor you with Day 21 blood tests...

I consider myself a bit of a PCOS expert...with my experiences and thos eof my friends and family.My tried and true thing is this...

Day 8, 10, 12, 14 and 16 are the days you should have sex when you are TTC. Even better when you are Clomid cuz there's a big chance you will ovulate. Day 8 is just to get rid of the old sperm.
Back to top Go down
hannykins
hannykins

Female
Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2008-07-06

PCOS and Metformin Empty
PostSubject: Re: PCOS and Metformin   PCOS and Metformin EmptySun 06 Jul 2008, 11:23 am

I have two boys from a combo of Metformin and Clomid. My theory is that the two things work well together cuz the metformin lowers the insulin which lowers the hormone ratio that makes PCOS diagnosed as PCOS and not just PCO.

When I had my Day 21 tests on Metformin I got to 28 or 29. You want a minimum of 30 for a good ovulation to get preggas. On Clomid and Metofrmin I got 122 for number one and 77 for number 2. You need to get as close to 100 as possible...30 is the absolute minimum.

My sister has PCOS and had IVF. Another sister with PCOS didn't need metofrmin or clomid.

There is an excellent intertility Dr in Sydney.......Professor Chapman. EXCELLENT!
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Admin

Female

PCOS and Metformin Empty
PostSubject: Re: PCOS and Metformin   PCOS and Metformin EmptyTue 10 Jun 2008, 8:15 am

Hehehe cut and shut!
So some are saying that metformin makes you ovulate, and some say it wont... :suspect:
What about with severe PCOS? I know its doing something to me, because my B :bounce: :bounce: bs are sore,
and I am moody... maybe a P coming on...its been about 8 months now..
I've only been back on metformin for a few weeks and just onto my second tablet a day. The doc wants me on 1500mg, so I am working my way up.
I do have a MaybeBaby, thats a little ovulation tester that you put your spit on, then you let dry, then if it goes into a ferny type shape you are ovulating, if its just all blobby, your not.
That make sense? LOL... I might post a link...

Maybe Baby Saliva Ovulation Microscope helps identify the fertile ...

Hayley
Back to top Go down
bugsbonclyde
bugsbonclyde

Female
Number of posts : 197
Registration date : 2008-06-09

PCOS and Metformin Empty
PostSubject: Re: PCOS and Metformin   PCOS and Metformin EmptyTue 10 Jun 2008, 8:04 am

lol cut and shut! that's so funny!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.rkm.id.au
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female
Number of posts : 7036
Registration date : 2008-06-02

PCOS and Metformin Empty
PostSubject: Re: PCOS and Metformin   PCOS and Metformin EmptyTue 10 Jun 2008, 7:46 am

Gee, guys, you've taught me something.
I take metformin for diabetes, but didn't know it made you ovulate.
Just as well my hubby's been cut and shut! At 51, I certainly don't need any more babies! LOL
Best of luck everyone
Chris
Back to top Go down
bugsbonclyde
bugsbonclyde

Female
Number of posts : 197
Registration date : 2008-06-09

PCOS and Metformin Empty
PostSubject: Re: PCOS and Metformin   PCOS and Metformin EmptyTue 10 Jun 2008, 6:59 am

hi hayley,

metformin makes you ovulate, it's a wonderful side affect of this diabetic pill. my surgeon told me to wait 12 months before trying to get pregnant, but i also have endo, so i will be trying to slot in endo surgery sometime in that 12 months so they can cut it all out and make things easier.

i was on 2x 500 of metformin and my endocrinologist upped me to 3x 1 gram a day, at the same time i was on the pill for 3x months to stop my periods because of the endo. i found that once i started on the 1 gram metformin i started having a period every 28 days - even while on the pill, so i stopped the pill. i thought i was pregnant christmas before last as my period was very late and i had nausea etc, but i wasn't pregnant :(

do you have an ovulation kit? or can you tell if or when you are ovulating? that would give you an idea that the metformin is working or not. and of course the more weight you loose the greater your pregnancy chances are.
if you want to talk about this privately, feel free to email me

take care

del
Back to top Go down
http://www.rkm.id.au
Admin
Administrator
Admin

Female

PCOS and Metformin Empty
PostSubject: Re: PCOS and Metformin   PCOS and Metformin EmptyMon 09 Jun 2008, 9:39 am

hehee, thanks Jezzy,

yes the wait time is about 8 months to a year. I am not going to 'try' to fall at all until I have lost a substantial amount of weight. But still, I wonder how helpful metformin can be for PCOS...

Hayley
Back to top Go down
Jezzybel
Part of the furniture
Jezzybel

Female
Number of posts : 242
Registration date : 2008-06-01

PCOS and Metformin Empty
PostSubject: Re: PCOS and Metformin   PCOS and Metformin EmptyMon 09 Jun 2008, 9:34 am

Hayley,
So sorry to hear about your troubles previously. But at least you should have better days ahead once the weight comes off *hugs*
I know my surgeon mentioned it to me but I've forgotten... can someone remind me how long you need to wait after sleeving before falling pregnant? Was it six months? I really should have written this stuff down... :oops:
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Admin

Female

PCOS and Metformin Empty
PostSubject: PCOS and Metformin   PCOS and Metformin EmptyMon 09 Jun 2008, 9:13 am

Hey Gals and Guys..

Just wondering if anyone knows about the success of ovulation with Metformin for someone who has suffered infertility due to PCOS? I fell pregnant last year on clomid, but lost it at about 7 weeks...
Now the doc has put me on Metformin and I am wondering if there is more chance I could ovulate...? I am hoping that I wont have to go for further fertiltiy treatment when I weigh alot less, but at the same time, I am only 11 weeks since being sleeved, so getting pregnant now would be a worry, if it is at all possible. I feel like I am going through another phase of 'I want a baby now!'. LOL. So has anyone heard of a woman with PCOS falling pregnant on metformin alone, after years of inferitility?
I dont really want to go into my issues too much, its too painful, so I will keep it simple...
Thanks all.
:flower:
Hayley
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PCOS and Metformin Empty
PostSubject: Re: PCOS and Metformin   PCOS and Metformin Empty

Back to top Go down

PCOS and Metformin
Page 1 of 1