AuthorMessage
The Pocket Rocket
Part of the furniture
The Pocket Rocket

Female
Number of posts : 203
Registration date : 2009-03-31

Surgeons in Perth?!? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Surgeons in Perth?!?   Surgeons in Perth?!? - Page 2 EmptyThu 28 Jan 2010, 6:27 am

First topic message reminder :

Hi, does anyone know the names of any surgeons who will do the sleeve on the public system in the Perth area?

I have a friend with severe co-morbidities who has been told the sleeve would be the best thing for her but her doctor doesn't know of the names of any surgeons who do it publicly in Perth.

Marion
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
Pottumpuss

Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2011-05-02

PostSubject: Public drs   Surgeons in Perth?!? - Page 2 EmptyTue 03 May 2011, 4:25 am

Hi, I saw only yesterday that there was a dr, who gave a certain amount of his time at a public hospital, he was French I think or had studied there, but this dr (I'm sorry I can't remember his name) was UK & aus approved. I found him through google.
Good luck, I'm going to try & find him again for you. But there are definitely public surgeons. Don't give up hope yet! D'oh
Back to top Go down
Countrygirl
Part of the furniture
Countrygirl

Female
Number of posts : 811
Registration date : 2008-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Surgeons in Perth?!?   Surgeons in Perth?!? - Page 2 EmptyTue 03 May 2011, 3:51 am

I can recommend Dr Alan Thomas as well. He is slightly cheaper I think but both doctors have great reputations. The staff at SJOG are excellent.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Surgeons in Perth?!?   Surgeons in Perth?!? - Page 2 EmptyTue 03 May 2011, 3:26 am

Hi Pottampuss,
I too am seeing Dr Armstrong... I have found him to be amazing... He was easy to talk to, had so much information and did not once judge...
He has a website with a alot of information on it... I am getting sleeved on the 15th June at Hollywood Hospital..
His whole team is amazing.. His dietician Laura is lovely and I am meeting the anaesthetist next week...
I can highly recommend him...
My BMI is 36.8... They dont like u to have a BMI lower than 37 but as others have said it u have health issues then they let u have it done...
My mum has Type 2 diabetes and I am already on medication to slow down the process of getting it... I also have PCOS and this is going to help with that..
I cant wait..
Good luck
xxx
Back to top Go down
sunnie
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 422
Registration date : 2011-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Surgeons in Perth?!?   Surgeons in Perth?!? - Page 2 EmptyMon 02 May 2011, 10:34 am

Hi Pottampuss Jon Armstrong is in Subiaco his office is across the road from st johns in subi. I know if you are under a cetain bmi then sugeons don't like to do the sleeve but if you have any health issues that take all that into account.....mine was my blood pressure.

Good luck with finding a doctor...

Sunnie : ))
Back to top Go down
Smurfette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Smurfette

Female
Number of posts : 1272
Registration date : 2010-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Surgeons in Perth?!?   Surgeons in Perth?!? - Page 2 EmptyMon 02 May 2011, 8:17 am

Surgeons in Perth?!? - Page 2 355206 there Pottampuss; I am not with Medibank Private though
Surgeons in Perth?!? - Page 2 542174 Surgeons in Perth?!? - Page 2 542174 Surgeons in Perth?!? - Page 2 542174
Dr Jon Armstrong; I cannot speak more highly of him; and he treats you as an equal; perfect bedside manner and very informative in easy to understand laymans terms; very approachable. Read my diary if you wish; lots in it on Hollywood Hospital and my Dr. Welcome you have an exciting journey ahead of you.
Back to top Go down
sunnie
Part of the furniture

Female

PostSubject: Re: Surgeons in Perth?!?   Surgeons in Perth?!? - Page 2 EmptyMon 02 May 2011, 8:09 am

HI pottampuss my phi is with gmf or aha??? When I rang them they advised to look at the surgeons on there list as they have a no gap cover with some of them but I couldn't find any of them that I had looked at : ((
I am being sleeved in Perth on May the 10th by Jon Armstrong he is in my opinion and many others, a very good surgeon and has a lot of patients on here with excellent results.
All up the cost of the operation is 4800 for the sugeon and I will receive a rebate of 1200 the anaethesiest is extra on top of this. Jon operates out of St John of God in Subi and Hollywood.

Hope this helps

SunnieSurgeons in Perth?!? - Page 2 65317
Back to top Go down
Pottumpuss
Pottumpuss

Female
Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2011-05-02

PostSubject: Drs in WA   Surgeons in Perth?!? - Page 2 EmptyMon 02 May 2011, 7:07 am

Hi all, I'm in WA, I'm insured with medibank private which offers a list of doctors that have gap cover, but although I've searched for people's personal experiences with particular doctors, I'm having trouble finding recommendations. My husband is also interested, so I'm hoping we'll 'tag team'
I like the idea of the sleeve as it's permanent, less long term issues, it seems. I also hate the idea of having a foreign object in my body. I've also noticed that men seem to have less success with lap banding than women.
Can anyone recommend any doctors? Especially if you are or were insured with medibank at the time of op. If you were & went with someone who was Not on the 'gap cover' list, what were your out of pocket expenses, ball park figure is fine.
We live SOR (south of the river)
Cheers
Surgeons in Perth?!? - Page 2 21984 Yet to be decided
Back to top Go down
Alexina
Alexina

Female
Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2010-03-05

PostSubject: Re: surgeons   Surgeons in Perth?!? - Page 2 EmptySun 24 Apr 2011, 6:57 am

I had Dr Padovan and it was on the recommendation of a friend who had him 12 months prior, since then I have had mine done and I know of two others as well. I think he is the most expensive around 5k out of pocket but he did have the best record as well. I have lost 53kgs in 52 weeks....no complications, no reflux, no illness and the only downside is having to buy clothes all the time! He does not make you do the diet drink prior and has good followup. I have been slack but need to see him regarding the excess skin and have a check up so he can tell me how well I have done!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He did say that I would lose 50 kgs all up and if I worked at it ....yes you do have to watch what you eat and excersise I would lose more. I have finally got to a point where I no longer am ruled by what I eat and dont worry about when or where my next meal us coming from. Pick a surgeon that you are happy with and go for it! But you should do your own homework and that is my advice.
Back to top Go down
sunnie
Part of the furniture

Female

PostSubject: Re: Surgeons in Perth?!?   Surgeons in Perth?!? - Page 2 EmptyThu 14 Apr 2011, 1:54 pm

Hi Cath I have chosen Jon Armstrong to do my surgery he is a lovely man and very informative.My advice to you would be to narrow it down to two surgeons see both of them and go with the one you feel is right for you.

Good luck : )) Surgeons in Perth?!? - Page 2 217555
Back to top Go down
Countrygirl
Part of the furniture
Countrygirl

Female
Number of posts : 811
Registration date : 2008-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Surgeons in Perth?!?   Surgeons in Perth?!? - Page 2 EmptyWed 13 Apr 2011, 8:04 am

I had Dr Thomas do my surgery in September 2009. He is very professional, easy to deal with and cost wise is one of the cheaper too. He takes out lots of bands and then does the sleeve.

He has a very personal nature and does answer all his emails himself which I found pleasantly surprising. Thoroughly recommend him.
Back to top Go down
Jacko84
Part of the furniture
Jacko84

Male
Number of posts : 694
Registration date : 2011-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Surgeons in Perth?!?   Surgeons in Perth?!? - Page 2 EmptyWed 13 Apr 2011, 7:07 am

I agree Dr Thomas Excellent Surgeon
Back to top Go down
julias

Female
Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2011-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Surgeons in Perth?!?   Surgeons in Perth?!? - Page 2 EmptyWed 13 Apr 2011, 6:56 am

Hi Sorry responded below by mistake...Epari and Thomas who are partners are very well thought of and professional and the nursing staff speak highly of them as far as I know and they know for sure who is good and not..my GP would not refer me to Cohen when I asked Surgeons in Perth?!? - Page 2 21984
Back to top Go down
julias

Female
Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2011-03-27

PostSubject: Hi there..recently saw Dr Epari his partner and he is very good and heard that Dr Thomas is the same..both professional and well thought of as surgeons..by nursing staff and bellieve me they know!...Dr Cohen I had heard about but my GP did not reccomend   Surgeons in Perth?!? - Page 2 EmptyWed 13 Apr 2011, 6:53 am

Cath80 wrote:
I was totally and utterly confused as to what surgeon to go with in order to have my lap-band removed (after 7 years) which now has a "chronic slip".

My first consult was with Dr Cohen who completed a barium swallow and discovered my slipped band.

From this point onwards, i am wanting to have my stupid band OUT, and replaced with gastric sleeving.

I decided to make contact with other surgeons as i didnt feel particularly comfortable with Dr Cohen. Im a sook, im sensitive and this weight loss battle for me is quite an emotional issue - as all of you would be aware.

So last night at 10pm, i emailed Dr Alan Thomas.

He returned my email at 11pm!

I didnt expect him to email me personally, i expect the receptionist to send a usual rant, with a link to general information.

His email was so caring and informative - i was truly impressed that he would give me his time; let alone at that time of night.

Being a lapband patient, he also pointed out that he is not only a surgeon in upper gastro intestinal surgery, he is also interventional endoscopist as well as a bariatric surgeon which certainly comes in handy if there are any pre-existing conditions (stomach conditions) due to my band.

All in all...i am certainly feeling more comfortable with the idea of Dr Thomas instead of Dr Cohen. Even though i havent met Dr Thomas personally, i feel he would be more suitable for me.

Thoughts anyone?

Do you think im doing the right thing?

Im newish to Perth...so choosing my surgeon is doing my head in hahaha!!

Any thoughts or personal experiences on both surgeons would be GREATLY appreciated! :-) :-)

xo
Back to top Go down
MrsSea

Female
Number of posts : 149
Registration date : 2010-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Surgeons in Perth?!?   Surgeons in Perth?!? - Page 2 EmptyTue 12 Apr 2011, 4:27 pm

I've heard good things about Dr Thomas.

I had Dr Jon Armstrong. He is a God.

He did my band, took it out after a chronic slip and then sleeved me.
I'm 4 months out and 30 kilos down.

BEST THING EVER!
Back to top Go down
kp
kp

Female
Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2009-04-16

PostSubject: Re: Surgeons in Perth?!?   Surgeons in Perth?!? - Page 2 EmptyTue 12 Apr 2011, 11:10 am

i had Dr thomas for my gastic sleeve 18months ago found him great to deal with very compassionate and understanding.
i havent had any issues at all in that time, Dr thomas also did my gall bladder removal at short notice to fit around me starting a new job in june 2010.
i couldnt recommend him highly enough.He is a great surgeon and a very nice person as well
hope that helps
cheers
karen (KP)
Back to top Go down
newlife
Part of the furniture
newlife

Female
Number of posts : 1020
Registration date : 2008-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Surgeons in Perth?!?   Surgeons in Perth?!? - Page 2 EmptyTue 12 Apr 2011, 9:36 am

This is just my personal opinion and nothing against any other surgeons, but, my recommendation is Dr Gordon Padovan. He is known as one of the best in Perth, he does both band and sleeve and bypass etc etc as well as being a gastro oncologist. He is also a fully trained plastic surgeon so can do the tummy tucks etc down the track. He is absolutely lovely and great bed side manner and my guru. He also removed my gall bladder just over 12 months ago, so I've been under his knife twice now. very little scaring and no complications. Gotta love the man.
Back to top Go down
qwerty

Female
Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2011-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Surgeons in Perth?!?   Surgeons in Perth?!? - Page 2 EmptyMon 11 Apr 2011, 2:33 pm

I agree, Dr Thomas all the way.
Back to top Go down
freedom2Bme
freedom2Bme

Female
Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2010-07-29

PostSubject: Re: Surgeons in Perth?!?   Surgeons in Perth?!? - Page 2 EmptyMon 11 Apr 2011, 2:17 pm

Kylie wrote:
You have picked wisely in my oppinion.

My surgeon Mr Epari works from the same practice (Upper Gi West) as Dr Thomas they are both very good and they will quite often consult for/with each other. Had my surgery seven months ago and have had no problems Surgeons in Perth?!? - Page 2 65317 you will be in very good hands.
Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
Cath80

Female
Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2011-04-10

PostSubject: WHAT SURGEON SHOULD I CHOOSE IN PERTH!?   Surgeons in Perth?!? - Page 2 EmptyMon 11 Apr 2011, 11:07 am

I was totally and utterly confused as to what surgeon to go with in order to have my lap-band removed (after 7 years) which now has a "chronic slip".

My first consult was with Dr Cohen who completed a barium swallow and discovered my slipped band.

From this point onwards, i am wanting to have my stupid band OUT, and replaced with gastric sleeving.

I decided to make contact with other surgeons as i didnt feel particularly comfortable with Dr Cohen. Im a sook, im sensitive and this weight loss battle for me is quite an emotional issue - as all of you would be aware.

So last night at 10pm, i emailed Dr Alan Thomas.

He returned my email at 11pm!

I didnt expect him to email me personally, i expect the receptionist to send a usual rant, with a link to general information.

His email was so caring and informative - i was truly impressed that he would give me his time; let alone at that time of night.

Being a lapband patient, he also pointed out that he is not only a surgeon in upper gastro intestinal surgery, he is also interventional endoscopist as well as a bariatric surgeon which certainly comes in handy if there are any pre-existing conditions (stomach conditions) due to my band.

All in all...i am certainly feeling more comfortable with the idea of Dr Thomas instead of Dr Cohen. Even though i havent met Dr Thomas personally, i feel he would be more suitable for me.

Thoughts anyone?

Do you think im doing the right thing?

Im newish to Perth...so choosing my surgeon is doing my head in hahaha!!

Any thoughts or personal experiences on both surgeons would be GREATLY appreciated! :-) :-)

xo
Back to top Go down
kaz

Female
Number of posts : 113
Registration date : 2010-08-26

PostSubject: Re: Surgeons in Perth?!?   Surgeons in Perth?!? - Page 2 EmptyThu 07 Apr 2011, 3:35 am

Hi bettyboo

Im seeing Dr Epari his out of pocket is about $3000. But best she rings and gets a price list from the office ladies.

They gave me a information sheet with all the costs including the dietician ect.

All the best

Ps Dr Armstronge and Epari are good Drs dont go to far away from these guys trust me on that.
Back to top Go down
bettyboo

Female
Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2010-06-05

PostSubject: Dr in Perth   Surgeons in Perth?!? - Page 2 EmptyThu 07 Apr 2011, 2:29 am

Hi All

I have actually had my sleeve but my sister is wanting hers done. I had Dr Jon Armstrong great guy but I was wanting to know out of pocket costs for other Drs and how they are

Thanks Bettyboo
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female
Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Surgeons in Perth?!?   Surgeons in Perth?!? - Page 2 EmptyThu 28 Jan 2010, 6:54 am

The best advise I can give is to take out private SINGLE cover with no extras. Pick the cheapest one that will cover weight loss surgery even if it means sharing a room which should be around $50 - $60 a month and save the gap over the year. You should end up with a gap of about $2,500 seeing Epari and he is excellent.

Only public sleeves done are with a bunbury and or busselton postcode and there is NO getting around this at all. Many have tried and ALL have failed.

Royal Perth is closed at the moment BUT offer places on occasion even if offered do NOT take it under any circumstances you just end up in a mess. It is pot luck who does it and most are no way experenced enough to be doing them. They have produced the ONLY failues I have heard of in Perth.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
mapmar
Top Poster
Top Poster
mapmar

Female
Number of posts : 2342
Registration date : 2009-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Surgeons in Perth?!?   Surgeons in Perth?!? - Page 2 EmptyThu 28 Jan 2010, 6:37 am

Unfortunately none do it publically.................sorry.............
Back to top Go down
The Pocket Rocket
Part of the furniture
The Pocket Rocket

Female
Number of posts : 203
Registration date : 2009-03-31

PostSubject: Surgeons in Perth?!?   Surgeons in Perth?!? - Page 2 EmptyThu 28 Jan 2010, 6:27 am

Hi, does anyone know the names of any surgeons who will do the sleeve on the public system in the Perth area?

I have a friend with severe co-morbidities who has been told the sleeve would be the best thing for her but her doctor doesn't know of the names of any surgeons who do it publicly in Perth.

Marion
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Surgeons in Perth?!?   Surgeons in Perth?!? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Surgeons in Perth?!?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2