13 posters
AuthorMessage
Angelwithlovehandles
Angelwithlovehandles

Female
Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2010-10-24

Ashford Hospital in Adelaide Empty
PostSubject: Ashford Hospital in Adelaide   Ashford Hospital in Adelaide EmptyWed 03 Nov 2010, 10:43 pm

Hi Everyone,
Just wondering if any of you have had good or bad experiences at Ashford hospital?
Did the nurses make you feel comfortable, or did you feel like they were judging you for having the operation? Are they liberal in handing out pain relief post op?

Also, any patients of Dr. France....how long did you stay in hospital for? Does he use wound drains or naso gastric tubes post op? Do you get a PCA pump (Patient controlled analgesic pump) or do the nursing staff give out pain relief?

Sorry for the million and one questions!

Love & hugs.
Back to top Go down
thankana
Part of the furniture
thankana

Female
Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2010-06-04

PostSubject: Re: Ashford Hospital in Adelaide   Ashford Hospital in Adelaide EmptyWed 03 Nov 2010, 11:52 pm

Hi There

I had Dr France. No drainage tube. The nurses give out pain killers and when ur in pain tell them and they give u something for it. Not judgemental at all, actually a couple of nurses have had the sleeve done and look fabulous and I got to meet them both. I personally found the staff fantastic. I had the op 27/09/10 and was our 30/09/10. I was determined to not be in longer than 3 days. I was up having a shower early the next morning. I did have these horrible leg massage things until Istarted walking around, this also inspired me to start walking. I had a nasal thing for a while and I took it out cos I hate it but my blood pressure dropped dramatically at one stage so they put it back in for a few hours to oxygenate the blood. I didnt like the Ashford itself, it's a bit tired and needs a re-vamp. I can not fault the nurses and staff there one little bit.

Back to top Go down
Anna

Female
Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2010-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Ashford Hospital in Adelaide   Ashford Hospital in Adelaide EmptyThu 04 Nov 2010, 1:39 am

Hi

I cannot praise the staff enough. I had the pain pump and drainage tube. The staff were great and supportive not at all judgemental, and very responsive to my needs.

I was in for 2 days but I was lucky no nausea at all and most important no leaks. I was up and showered and walking the next morning. Just itching to get home.

Very good experience and Michael was fantastic.

Good Luck
Back to top Go down
ssteph2342
Top Poster
Top Poster
ssteph2342

Female
Number of posts : 1344
Registration date : 2008-05-27

PostSubject: Re: Ashford Hospital in Adelaide   Ashford Hospital in Adelaide EmptyTue 09 Nov 2010, 6:31 am

Hi Angel,
Dr France was my surgeon and I did have a drain which came out a couple of days later. No nasal tube though. You do control your own pain.
The staff were non judgemental and were wonderful.
I have had several operations in Ashford and had all my 3 children there. I have always been very happy with the hospital and had no complaints.
steph
Back to top Go down
thankana
Part of the furniture
thankana

Female

PostSubject: Re: Ashford Hospital in Adelaide   Ashford Hospital in Adelaide EmptyTue 09 Nov 2010, 8:10 am

ssteph2342 wrote:
Hi Angel,
Dr France was my surgeon and I did have a drain which came out a couple of days later. No nasal tube though. You do control your own pain.
The staff were non judgemental and were wonderful.
I have had several operations in Ashford and had all my 3 children there. I have always been very happy with the hospital and had no complaints.
steph

He no longer uses a drain and now they like to give out the pain killers.
Back to top Go down
Megan
Megan

Female
Number of posts : 140
Registration date : 2010-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Ashford Hospital in Adelaide   Ashford Hospital in Adelaide EmptyWed 10 Nov 2010, 7:57 am

I was sleeved in March.

I was told I wouldn't have a drain, but I woke up with one but it was taken out the next morning.

I also had a PCA of Fentanyl.

The analgesia you are written up for has very little (almost NOTHING) to do with Dr France and will actually depend on your anaesthetist.

I only needed panadol within 24 hours of surgery for the most part with occasional dose of panadeine.
Back to top Go down
Tempest
Sponsor
Tempest

Female
Number of posts : 3694
Registration date : 2009-08-09

PostSubject: Re: Ashford Hospital in Adelaide   Ashford Hospital in Adelaide EmptyWed 10 Nov 2010, 8:04 am

Hi,
I promise it will all be just fine :-)
He doesn't use drains anymore which I love the sound of.
The staff are fantastic, one of the nurses even came into my shop to see how I was going just a few weeks ago.

It's all good.

Hugs Gail
Back to top Go down
Jenni
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 257
Registration date : 2009-10-14

PostSubject: Ashford Hospital in Adelaide   Ashford Hospital in Adelaide EmptyThu 11 Nov 2010, 12:31 am

Hi, I was only in 2 days, I actually enjoyed the break. The drain wasn't a problem but he doesn't use that now, ask Karma.
I didn't have any vomiting and didn't feel any pain after. I walked around the next morning visiting others who had had the op on the same day but before me as I was the last on the list.
Michael is great, Karma and I are off to see him this afternoon for her 2 week check up.
Most of the nurses are fantastic. I had one who kept pressing on the needle in the back of my hand, I said ouch and pulled it away but every time she did my obs she still did it. I haven't heard of this happening to anyone else though. I didn't get a private room until half an hour before I left but Karma had one right from the start. Again depends on where you are on the list.

As I said earlier I enjoyed the break - my own space, watched TV, dozed and visited.
Best wishes
Jenni
Back to top Go down

Female
Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2010-02-18

PostSubject: Re: Ashford Hospital in Adelaide   Ashford Hospital in Adelaide EmptyThu 11 Nov 2010, 11:49 am

Ashford was great. The menu looked amazing (just a pity I couldn't eat any of it!)
The nurses I had were really good. They were very helpful & non-judgmental. I was in for 4 days, but I had a reaction to the anaesthetic & was pretty sick for the first couple of days. They were great at keeping up with everything they had to pump into me as far as pain meds & anti nausea meds.
I didn't have a drain, or any nasal tubes (apart from the tube that sits under the nose to give oxygen for the first 24 hours, but I'm a smoker), but I also didn't have a 'pain pump' to deliver the pain meds. Don't think I really needed it, they were really good & on time with everything. Everyone was really helpful & happy to answer any questions I had... & even listen to my drug induced nonsense as well. They'd stay in my room & have a chat with me if they had the time as well which was really nice.
The staff down in 'Theatre' were excellent as well. Very friendly & comforting, but you won't be hanging out with them for too long before you're knocked out (I don't even remember falling asleep!)
I did get a private room but then I was also the first one done for the day so I might of just 'lucked out'.
Michael France is fantastic, he'll come by & have quick visits with you after your op & answer any questions you have & see how you're feeling... oh & he uses dissolvable stitches. There I was thinking I'd have stitches removed today & what do you know, there's nothing there!
Just don't freak out when you wake up with a bright pink belly & everything will be fine.
Ashford Hospital in Adelaide 63412
Back to top Go down
amanda O'D
Part of the furniture
amanda O'D

Female
Number of posts : 901
Registration date : 2010-11-13

PostSubject: Re: Ashford Hospital in Adelaide   Ashford Hospital in Adelaide EmptySun 14 Nov 2010, 11:41 am

Hi Karma and all :)

You have me curious what do you mean a "bright pink belly'are you telling me my belly will not look like a white version of Ayres rock when I wake up and instead resemble sugar mountain lol.

warmly
amanda
Back to top Go down
gkathanasiou
gkathanasiou

Female
Number of posts : 71
Registration date : 2010-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Ashford Hospital in Adelaide   Ashford Hospital in Adelaide EmptySun 14 Nov 2010, 12:19 pm

hey all....im also having my surgery at the Ashford, and im wondering if they have wireless internet? is it worth bringing my laptop? or do you recon that I wont have much time or more so energy to use it?

thanks!
Back to top Go down
Emily
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 1180
Registration date : 2010-04-12

PostSubject: Re: Ashford Hospital in Adelaide   Ashford Hospital in Adelaide EmptySun 14 Nov 2010, 2:54 pm

Yes the solution they use to prep your belly (antiseptic) is bright pink (Chlorhexidine). Takes days to get it all off!! I woke up looking like I had a severe sunburn :)
Back to top Go down
thankana
Part of the furniture
thankana

Female

PostSubject: Re: Ashford Hospital in Adelaide   Ashford Hospital in Adelaide EmptyMon 15 Nov 2010, 1:56 am

Hi GK

I brought along my laptop (it goes everywhere with me). I brought along my mobile usb internet and it was all good but to be honest I used it once, I was too tired but everyone is different.

The pink stuff shocked me a bit when I woke up and looked at my tummy. It took quite a few showers for it all to come off. I actually forgot about that.
Back to top Go down
hape2cu

Female
Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2010-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Ashford Hospital in Adelaide   Ashford Hospital in Adelaide EmptyMon 15 Nov 2010, 11:49 pm

lol at the pink belly. It took ages to get off because i didnt want to rub too hard in the shower.

I also had surgery with Michael France at Ashford. I didnt have a drainage tube, but my sister in law did 6 months earlier.

I also didnt have the pain pump, but thats because morphine makes me sick. I was on liquid panadol through the drip, and anti nausea meds. Unfortuntely they didnt work, and i threw up 2 nights, but i didnt damage anything. Also they give you a few needles in your upper leg (anti blood clotting and something else) i ended up with a huge bruise that took a week or 2 to go. One of the meds kept making me sick, but im sorry i cant remember the name of it.

I was in 3 nights, and i hate hospitals more than most. I had magazines and the tv to watch, but i didnt have the energy for either.

The nurses were great, and unlike other hospitals i've had surgeries at the nurses didnt make you feel bad for calling them. I always need to wee when on a drip and with the leg massage machine i had to get them to disconnect and connect me everytime i had to go to the loo. I got that taken off after the 2nd night. One nurse came up with a great idea which gave me a lot of relief - hot towels for the cramping. They will put them in the dryer for you, and it really does help.

I wasnt given the oxygen in the nose until day 3, and it was because i was still feeling sick. They said it helps flush out the anesthetic. Wish they had given it to me straight away like one of the nurses said they should have.

I am now 5 weeks post op today, and yes the following weeks are not the easiest, but just think of the long term results, and it will fly by.

All the best

hape2cu
Back to top Go down
seanp83

Male
Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2014-08-02

PostSubject: Re: Ashford Hospital in Adelaide   Ashford Hospital in Adelaide EmptyMon 18 Aug 2014, 2:01 pm

Heading into Ashford on Sept 8th for VGS. Getting nervous... Starting Optifast tomorrow...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ashford Hospital in Adelaide   Ashford Hospital in Adelaide Empty

Back to top Go down

Ashford Hospital in Adelaide
Page 1 of 1