Australian Gastric Sleeve Support Forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How long after your op before flying long haul?

Go down 
+4
Caz
Emily
stew
PocketRocket
8 posters
AuthorMessage
kiwichick

Female
Number of posts : 178
Registration date : 2010-05-16

How long after your op before flying long haul? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How long after your op before flying long haul?   How long after your op before flying long haul? EmptyTue 11 Jan 2011, 12:57 am

I flew from Auckland to Adelaide 2 days after a hernia repair - wouldn't recommend that - but the return trip home from Adelaide to Auckland on day 8 after surgery was just fine - only problem was lifting my suitcase - but I borrowed one of those ones on 4 wheels that you just push around rather than pull behind you

Back to top Go down
Smurfette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Smurfette

Female
Number of posts : 1272
Registration date : 2010-08-15

PostSubject: Re: How long after your op before flying long haul?   How long after your op before flying long haul? EmptyMon 10 Jan 2011, 9:43 pm

Channamasala
I have had a few major operations and as am not allowed to drive home, I have to fly which is just over an hour; then an hour in the car nearly. The only difference I would think (as for me also this trip to the big smoke) is the food/liquids I would need to pack for the trip home. Take care.
Back to top Go down
Channamasala
Channamasala

Female
Number of posts : 136
Registration date : 2010-11-17

PostSubject: Re: How long after your op before flying long haul?   How long after your op before flying long haul? EmptyMon 10 Jan 2011, 8:51 pm

Thanx Janette for the info. My son's sitting an entrance exam in Dublin and I wanted to go with him. Moral support and all that. I feel much better knowing that it should be feasible.
How long after your op before flying long haul? 217555
Back to top Go down
Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Janette

Female
Number of posts : 4341
Registration date : 2009-09-13

PostSubject: Re: How long after your op before flying long haul?   How long after your op before flying long haul? EmptyMon 10 Jan 2011, 6:20 pm

I did an hour and a half flight 13 days post-op, with no probs.
Wore my TED stockings though!
Back to top Go down
Channamasala
Channamasala

Female
Number of posts : 136
Registration date : 2010-11-17

PostSubject: Re: How long after your op before flying long haul?   How long after your op before flying long haul? EmptyMon 10 Jan 2011, 5:13 pm

Hello all!

My question isn't about long-haul but a short trip from France to Ireland. Do you think that at only 12 days after the operation, I'd be able to do a flight of about an hour and a half?

Thanks for any advice!
Back to top Go down
Caz
Sponsor
Caz

Female
Number of posts : 5909
Registration date : 2009-01-20

PostSubject: Re: How long after your op before flying long haul?   How long after your op before flying long haul? EmptyThu 14 Oct 2010, 4:43 am

I flew to the USA for work 8 weeks after surgery. All good.
Back to top Go down
Emily
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 1180
Registration date : 2010-04-12

PostSubject: Re: How long after your op before flying long haul?   How long after your op before flying long haul? EmptyThu 14 Oct 2010, 3:52 am

I had to fly back to work in the US from Australia (east coast, about 24hrs door to door) 22 days postop. The surgeon was only worried about whether I'd be tolerating enough food to cope with going home, not so much with the travel. I did discuss with the physician about possibly getting heparin shots to take but we ended up deciding it wasn't necessary. They did do a clotting screen to check that I wasn't prone to clots, and then I took an aspirin the day of the flight and wore TED stockings. I made sure I drank a lot of water and walked when possible.
Back to top Go down
stew

Male
Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2010-01-06

PostSubject: Re: How long after your op before flying long haul?   How long after your op before flying long haul? EmptyThu 14 Oct 2010, 1:17 am

I did a three day flying trip to the Philippines (read that as three nights away and only one in a hotel the other two in planes and in airports) about 8 weeks after my op. No problems at all. I would say if you can sit at work for a day then you will be fine (except for the normal boredom) on a plane.

The biggest issue I have with travel now is eating as it is so much harder on planes and in restaurants to convince people that the food is fine - you just dont eat much (especially while you are still bigger than average).

Enjoy your trip and dont worry any more than normal about the travel part.
Back to top Go down
PocketRocket

Male
Number of posts : 86
Registration date : 2010-08-15

PostSubject: How long after your op before flying long haul?   How long after your op before flying long haul? EmptyWed 13 Oct 2010, 10:59 pm

Hello everyone

I had my op on the 20th of September and it has been such a wonderful experience and I would recommend it to anybody!

I am planning on flying long haul from Sydney via the states to England about six weeks after my operation and was wondering if anybody else has flown long haul so soon after the operation or noticed anything different or has any tips after being sleeved and flying long haul?

Thanks

MrVinyl
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How long after your op before flying long haul?   How long after your op before flying long haul? Empty

Back to top Go down

How long after your op before flying long haul?
Page 1 of 1