Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
NutMeg
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 769
Registration date : 2009-12-15

Anyone else doing the C25K? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Anyone else doing the C25K?   Anyone else doing the C25K? - Page 2 EmptyWed 13 Oct 2010, 1:25 am

First topic message reminder :

I've just started this, with a goal to running 5kms in a fun run early next year.

Anyone else? would love to hear from you and where you're at :)

Here is C25K so you know I am not speaking in code or in a foreign language LOL

C25K
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
fatnomore
Part of the furniture

Number of posts : 526
Registration date : 2009-12-30

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else doing the C25K?   Anyone else doing the C25K? - Page 2 EmptySun 07 Nov 2010, 3:46 am

Ozzieloz.... you will love it..but can I suggest if your anything like me..get someone to do it with you!! obviously you have to pick the right person but if I was doing this alone I would have already cheated..lol..how bad is that!! lol.. I am the motivator to get us out there (as my friend would find any social excuse in the world why she couldnt do it) and once we are out there and I am dying that she keeps me going..... it also is more fun and the time goes quicker..oh and safer at night if your running then...

my friend and I are "thinking" about doing the 5km city to bay in January in St kilda...a bit of a goal to get to...and we want to do the 1000 steps aswell..not sure I want to run them though..walking will be enough..lol...

Meghan..get better and get running! your in Melb too..where are you all living?
Back to top Go down
NutMeg
Part of the furniture

Female

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else doing the C25K?   Anyone else doing the C25K? - Page 2 EmptySun 07 Nov 2010, 1:18 am

Hey all :)

Well done FNM!

I have been a very lazy cow this past week. I was sick, and then used that as an excuse and now I have done absolutely ZERO exercise this past week!!!

So back at it this week, I PROMISE! ;)

Loz- Thank you, that is sweet :) I will join you at the 1000 steps ONE day, it'll be a long way off though LOL

I'll post in here to let everyone know how I go - you guys will too, right?!?

Have a GREAT week!

Back to top Go down
Ozzieloz
Part of the furniture
Ozzieloz

Female
Number of posts : 747
Registration date : 2010-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else doing the C25K?   Anyone else doing the C25K? - Page 2 EmptySat 06 Nov 2010, 9:42 pm

Hi all
Thanks for the link Carrie.
So, now I have joined up, but haven't read much yet - but I really do want to get off the couch and get fit.

Now I just need to find a friend who will either do it with me or - even as Carrie suggested - an online friend to do it with - great idea.

So, will checking here for tips - I have to start today so better get reading.
Thanks everyone for the prompt - this really does look do-able for an old lazy dame like me - off I go.

Ozzieloz
Back to top Go down
fatnomore
Part of the furniture

Female

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else doing the C25K?   Anyone else doing the C25K? - Page 2 EmptySat 06 Nov 2010, 11:06 am

how funny when I read your weight I thought you were "HEAPS" smaller than me...lol.yes you are however you are 8kg lighter but in my head you were still 30kg lighter....my mind hasnt caught up yet..lol..
Back to top Go down
Carrie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Carrie

Female
Number of posts : 2601
Registration date : 2009-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else doing the C25K?   Anyone else doing the C25K? - Page 2 EmptySat 06 Nov 2010, 9:15 am

Anyone else doing the C25K? - Page 2 314541
Back to top Go down
fatnomore
Part of the furniture

Female

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else doing the C25K?   Anyone else doing the C25K? - Page 2 EmptySat 06 Nov 2010, 8:52 am

fair enough...see you should never assume!!! lol.... I thought you just didnt want to because you thought you were too big....
Back to top Go down
Carrie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Carrie

Female

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else doing the C25K?   Anyone else doing the C25K? - Page 2 EmptySat 06 Nov 2010, 8:30 am

FNM,

I do have a bit to lose :-) I broke my knee (and shoulder) a couple of years ago and have only been able to walk on it properly since I've been dropping the weight. Prior to that 5-10 minutes walking would often be too much. After a fun run (that I only power-walked rather than ran) a couple of weeks ago, I hobbled for a week. I go to the gym 6 days a week, and I walk at least 4 times a week, but I'm not going to wreck it by running before I'm ready.

-Carrie :-)
Back to top Go down
fatnomore
Part of the furniture

Female

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else doing the C25K?   Anyone else doing the C25K? - Page 2 EmptySat 06 Nov 2010, 8:17 am

Carrie..just start it!!! go on..nothing to lose..well you do but heh thats what your after!! lol....

seriously Im a lot heavier than you and Im out there doing it..you can to!!! today we walked/ran 3.68km in the 30min and was averaging 6km/hr for the running bit...

I HATE running..but you know what...geez it feels good when you finish to know you have done it and its all done and you have exercised quickly..lol.... very efficient!
Back to top Go down
Carrie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Carrie

Female

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else doing the C25K?   Anyone else doing the C25K? - Page 2 EmptySat 06 Nov 2010, 8:12 am

Ooo Carly,

What about you let me know when you're ready to give it a go and we can be email exercise buddies :-).

Back to top Go down
Carly
Carly

Female
Number of posts : 175
Registration date : 2010-07-29

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else doing the C25K?   Anyone else doing the C25K? - Page 2 EmptySat 06 Nov 2010, 5:11 am

Hi Carrie,
Les has put the app on his i-phone and he started doing it. He was doing really well to until he tore his calf muscle, ouch. He is determined to do it though, so no doubt in my mind that he will. I will also start it when I get 'lighter', at the moment I'll stick to the treadmill and free runner as they are low impact.
Good luck.
Back to top Go down
Carrie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Carrie

Female

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else doing the C25K?   Anyone else doing the C25K? - Page 2 EmptySat 06 Nov 2010, 4:09 am

Hey OzzieLoz,

Here's a link: C25K It does look good, I hope to give it a go when I get a bit fitter.

Back to top Go down
Ozzieloz
Part of the furniture
Ozzieloz

Female
Number of posts : 747
Registration date : 2010-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else doing the C25K?   Anyone else doing the C25K? - Page 2 EmptySat 06 Nov 2010, 4:01 am

Hi Meghan, Stew, fatnomore
You are all amazing!

I would like to know what C25K is - a 5 kms run would kill me at present, and I am not even back at gym yet - but I would love to know I could do a 5km run. I walk the 1000 steps in the Dandenongs - not regularly - but it is my dream to run them one day and next year is my goal now.

If you can give me a bit more info on this I might join in too. Only 3 weeks sleeved so far, and was very unfit before it, so am gently getting into shape and need a motivator - and Meghan you are my pinup girl - I told you that!!
So, if it looks at all possible, and I can get some tips for how to achieve it, count me in.
Best wishes and thanks for the prompt - fit and healthy is the goal.
Loz
Back to top Go down
fatnomore
Part of the furniture

Female

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else doing the C25K?   Anyone else doing the C25K? - Page 2 EmptyMon 01 Nov 2010, 11:42 am

Hands up here Meghan!!!

A friend and I started it tonight...OMG talk about wanting to die! lol....I whinged half the way but kept going!! actually we did about 51 min all up but that was more walking, climbing stairs and up and down playground equipment...so we were going for ages before we started the program..... there were a few slight hills as well we were running up...anyway Im sore..I whinged the whole way how the hell anyone could find this torture fun and yes we too are planning on a 5km not so fun run..oh and we want to (later later later) do the 1000 steps at the dandenongs....that will be a killer too..lol...

so how are you going now? keeping up with it....you are really pushing yourself...hope your doing well and dont burn yourself out... I was doing a bit of curves but that was it till tonight..I hope I survive it!
Back to top Go down
stew

Male
Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2010-01-06

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else doing the C25K?   Anyone else doing the C25K? - Page 2 EmptyWed 13 Oct 2010, 3:42 am

I see from your ticker that you are about the same BMI as I am (mind you I have lost a lot more weight becasue I started a heap bigger). I too found it hard to keep the pace of loss up as I got down to around 32 BMI which also represented about 65% of my excess weight loss. I got this moving again by starting to run as it really pushed me hard so hopefully that will work for you.

Recently I slowed again at about 29 BMI and I have started swimming. This works on two fronts as it puts pressure on my arms and shoulders (which we quite frankly getting boney) and also is a new exercise so I am not efficient at it. This has again got things moving.

I really found when i started to run (because I was pretty fit from cycling) it was my legs that let me down rather than fitness and heart rate. Some advice I was given that worked for me - good shoes, good music, make sure you are not heel striking as that just stops you every step - try and get the whole foot to strike at once, focus on a point on the ground about 3-5 metres in front of you as it brings the head down and moves you centre of gravity slightly forward and therefore you tend to move easier and finally, find a good steady pace that holds you heart rate about 150 - 170 and doesnt put you in the red zone, once you have your pace it is just a case of pushing through it and keeping on going.

It is amazing how fit you can get - I now have totally normal blood pressure (was 140/90 now 120/65) and a resting heart rate of around 45 - not bad for an ex fat bastard. And that is all from cycling, running and swimming. Keep it up the fitness will come.
Back to top Go down
NutMeg
Part of the furniture

Female

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else doing the C25K?   Anyone else doing the C25K? - Page 2 EmptyWed 13 Oct 2010, 3:22 am

Thanks for your reply Stew :)

I'm at the gym doing Pump, balance, etc., 3-5 times a week as it is, and have hit a plateau. It's hard to push yourself past your comfort zone in those classes so that's why I decided to give this a go. I can't even get through a full 20 minutes at this stage (60 seconds running, 90 seconds walking) without feeling like I'm dying. So while I am fitter, I am certainly not fit, YET!
Back to top Go down
stew

Male
Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2010-01-06

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else doing the C25K?   Anyone else doing the C25K? - Page 2 EmptyWed 13 Oct 2010, 2:14 am

Good on you Meghan - running is an amazing way to exercise your body hard in a short period of time... but it is really tough compared to things like cycling and the gym.

I didnt do the C25K but then I hadnt heard of it when I started running or I probably would have. That being said the big piece of advice I can give you is that when you are getting up to around the 2.5-3km mark with out needing to stop then pick a day when you are feeling strong and just push yourself not to stop until you reach the 5km. Once you have done it once you will always be able to do it because you will "know" that you can! It took me about 8 weeks of running between 1km (the first run with about another 1km of walking) and 3km (walking and running the rest of the 5km) before I could get through the 5km without stopping. And that is after getting fit through cycling.

Good Luck and let us know how you go.

Stew
Back to top Go down
NutMeg
Part of the furniture

Female

PostSubject: Anyone else doing the C25K?   Anyone else doing the C25K? - Page 2 EmptyWed 13 Oct 2010, 1:25 am

I've just started this, with a goal to running 5kms in a fun run early next year.

Anyone else? would love to hear from you and where you're at :)

Here is C25K so you know I am not speaking in code or in a foreign language LOL

C25K
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else doing the C25K?   Anyone else doing the C25K? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Anyone else doing the C25K?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2