AuthorMessage
roadtripmama

Female
Number of posts : 183
Registration date : 2010-02-16

alcoholic  Empty
PostSubject: Re: alcoholic    alcoholic  EmptySun 17 Oct 2010, 9:13 am

Hi Tank,

Sorry but you will be able to drink (where theres a will), surgery is not going to fix that.

Ive been seeing a psychologist and working on other ways to deal with low self esteem and stress and I think that has helped
me abstain. That and reflux! If I drink though...I can still get in half a bottle of bourbon...easy. Ive just chosen not to drink anymore. Get some help..it really does help. I got mine pre-op and I'm glad I did.

Ive also read some research that showed increased blood alcohol level for longer periods in people with a sleeve vs normal stomach drinking the same amounts of alcohol. Cant find any long term studies that are specifically about the VSG and relationship to alcoholism, but its relationship to ageneral term of Bariatric surgery is well documented, even in people without prior drinking problems.

You may well be jumping from the frying pan into the fire.

Theres good help out there for you...you've already started by posting on this forum and that takes quite a bit of courage..but be kind to yourself and get your support network in place first, so you can make the most of this life changing opportunity...giving yourself the best chances of success...

You are obviously wanting a change, but my advice is to get the ball rolling yourself first.

Talk to your GP. Be honest with your surgeon.

Good luck

Deb

Back to top Go down
tank

Male
Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2010-08-16

alcoholic  Empty
PostSubject: Re: alcoholic    alcoholic  EmptyThu 26 Aug 2010, 12:21 pm

well i am hoping one of the many gains of getting the sleeve will stop me drinking. I see doctor Hopkins on Monday 30th - first step.

on a side note, can you get too skinny ? When do you stop losing weight ?
Back to top Go down
kaysa9
kaysa9

Female
Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2010-04-25

alcoholic  Empty
PostSubject: Re: alcoholic    alcoholic  EmptySat 21 Aug 2010, 2:18 pm

In my country you will not be able to be sleeved with an active drinking problem, so you might have to tackle the drinking first. This is because your weight loss will be compromised because of the high calorie in alcohol, and I also believed it had something to do with vitamin deficiency. Alcohol have to be avoided for 3 months afterwards says my book of advice for the newly sleeved. But maybe the sleeve can be a new start for you without alcohol? Maybe you can have some medication for withdrawal symptoms or at least some sedatives in the beginning to help you adjust. I would have discussed this with the hospital.

I have always seen emotional eating and excess drinking as very related issues as they are both addictions that are hard to control. But I think it is more socially accepted to be addicted to food. But for me it is two sides of the same issue. I have sadly found that my food addiction has not gone away since the sleeve, and I am binging at the moment. In smaller amounts than before but still.

Anyway. I am sorry that you have these challenges to overcome, but I am also certain it is doable with some support from medical staff, people around you and other sleevers.

Hugs and very good luck
Back to top Go down
Emily
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 1180
Registration date : 2010-04-12

alcoholic  Empty
PostSubject: Re: alcoholic    alcoholic  EmptySat 21 Aug 2010, 1:00 pm

Forgive me if I sound preachy, I don't mean to but I feel this needs to be said and it's a topic that is close to my heart.

You don't need a sleeve, you need to stop drinking.

The fact that your primary concern about the life after the sleeve is that you can continue to kill yourself with alcohol (if somewhat more slowly) is just not logical.. and shows that you need psychological/addiction help.

If you were anyone asking if you can drink alcohol postop, I'd say sure after a while you can have a few drinks. But an alcoholic can't have a few drinks. You described yourself as an alcoholic. An alcoholic is either drinking, or not drinking. There is no
moderation.

Why don't you sort that out first? I bet you'd lose a lot of weight, and then when you're in your right mind (which any alcoholic just isn't...), then go get the sleeve if you need it.
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female
Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

alcoholic  Empty
PostSubject: Re: alcoholic    alcoholic  EmptyMon 16 Aug 2010, 11:56 am

you will never be able to drink that much beer after surgery. for the first few months you will be lucky to get in one an evening. after that time if you pour it in a glass I would say maybe 3 if not eating.

my other half has a sleeve and drinks beer. it is VERY gassey and filling evem tho he can throw down other drinks with ease on an empty stomach. it doesnt bother him at all.

if you want to limit it further ONLY drink after a meal.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
*Lib*
Top Poster
Top Poster
*Lib*

Female
Number of posts : 1594
Registration date : 2009-03-31

alcoholic  Empty
PostSubject: Re: alcoholic    alcoholic  EmptyMon 16 Aug 2010, 11:46 am

Best of luck, addictions are a tough thing to break, especially for things so easily accesable like alcohol, pokie and food!
Back to top Go down
kmsbj
kmsbj

Female
Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2010-05-11

alcoholic  Empty
PostSubject: Re: alcoholic    alcoholic  EmptyMon 16 Aug 2010, 11:43 am

Hi tank, I personally have never been a big drinker of alcohol (other than teen years) but i think i kind of understand your question... I have always consumed extremely large amounts of (diet) coke.... consuming anywhere from 6-8 litres of it per day (pre-op). I tried to cut back several times and with each attempt suffered horrible side effects and withdrawal symptoms. I like you was concerned pre-op how i would cope not only with the surgery but also with the inability to continue my addiction.... I was sleeved back in Dec 09 and can honestly say it was the best decision i ever made. I experienced no withdrawal symptoms at all and i assume it is because of the morphine drip i had for 2 days post-op. My desire to drink coke did not disappear completely however and i gave into the urge on my final day in hospital (day 3 post-op). Surprisingly (or maybe not so surprisingly) i was only able to have a very small sip and when i did was satisfied not needing more.
Unfortunately my old habits have returned to some extent over the months but not to the extent they were pre-op. I now drink coke on a regular basis but do not/ cannot consume more than 1 litre in a day nor do i want too.
I appologise for my ramblings and i guess what i am trying to say is..... have the operation.... you will not regret your decision and who knows it may even help cut down your drinking in the long run. Whatever your final decision.... you have to be the one to make it and you will do what is right for you.
Cheers.
Back to top Go down
tank

Male

alcoholic  Empty
PostSubject: Re: alcoholic    alcoholic  EmptyMon 16 Aug 2010, 11:42 am

*Lib* wrote:
tank wrote:
i don't want to be able to drink as much once i get the surgery,i just want to know i can still drink so i have that sense of security to hold on to.I do fully realise that my beer intake has alot to do with my weight,but it hard to give up and i struggle to give up food,so i was hoping the surgery would at least help me with that side of things

Ok then....yes you can still drink :P I know how hard it is to give up, my husband has ''issues'' too

thx for the feedback
Back to top Go down
*Lib*
Top Poster
Top Poster
*Lib*

Female

alcoholic  Empty
PostSubject: Re: alcoholic    alcoholic  EmptyMon 16 Aug 2010, 11:41 am

tank wrote:
i don't want to be able to drink as much once i get the surgery,i just want to know i can still drink so i have that sense of security to hold on to.I do fully realise that my beer intake has alot to do with my weight,but it hard to give up and i struggle to give up food,so i was hoping the surgery would at least help me with that side of things

Ok then....yes you can still drink :P I know how hard it is to give up, my husband has ''issues'' too
Back to top Go down
tank

Male

alcoholic  Empty
PostSubject: Re: alcoholic    alcoholic  EmptyMon 16 Aug 2010, 11:35 am

Back to top Go down
*Lib*
Top Poster
Top Poster
*Lib*

Female

alcoholic  Empty
PostSubject: Re: alcoholic    alcoholic  EmptyMon 16 Aug 2010, 11:28 am

I can't imagine its very good for you, and I would recommend cutting back before surgery. I am a lightweight to drink now, I can't imagine you being able to stomach 15 beers in a night. You would be under the table pretty quickly. I dare say 15 beers a night might have somethign to do with being 133kg. If you cut back you'd be sure to lose weight instantly.
Back to top Go down
tank

Male

alcoholic  Empty
PostSubject: alcoholic    alcoholic  EmptyMon 16 Aug 2010, 11:07 am

I drink 15 beers a night,and am 133kg,i desperately want to get this surgery, but am afraid of the effect on my alcoholic ways. I know i have to stop drinking but can only deal with one thing at a time.Will i still be able to drink after surgery ?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

alcoholic  Empty
PostSubject: Re: alcoholic    alcoholic  Empty

Back to top Go down

alcoholic
Page 1 of 1