Babs
Babs

Female
Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2010-04-14

Roux-en-Y Empty
PostSubject: RNY   Roux-en-Y EmptySat 01 May 2010, 10:28 am

Sorry Ssjad,

Have just realised it was you that posted that helpful comparison site..my apologies!!

Am soo new to this that I am still getting my signature right.
Back to top Go down
Babs
Babs

Female
Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2010-04-14

Roux-en-Y Empty
PostSubject: Roux-en-Y   Roux-en-Y EmptySat 01 May 2010, 10:19 am

Hi Ssjad,
I really believe that it is your decision in the end... because you have to live with yourself.
I have not had WLS surgery yet but 10yrs was looking at this as I had friends doing it (my husband told me he would leave me if I had it, so I didn't.....10yrs on....he has left me for a young skinny piece and I am fatter than ever and still looking at my options).

It seems to me that , in hindsight, he did me two favours....saying he would leave and then 10yrs later...leaving!!!! LOL

I know of 2 people that had Pancreo-biliary bypass, which involves more intestinal re-routing than RNY. One (A) was after a failed band and one (B) was as a first option.

Both of them now suffer from malabsorption problems and all kinds of very nasty side effects...not only for them...but those that live with them!!
They take vitamin supplements but a lot of them are not able to be absorbed. They are deficient in fat soluble vitamins ADE & K (these are all vital to healthy skin, bones, cells, blood clotting, immunity and the list goes on), they both need to have iron infusions on a regular basis (few hours in hospital and risk of rection with EACH infusion).

I have had the benefit of seeing these girls go through what they have. I was on the list two years ago also, to have banding, but freaked out (due to foreign body in me and refilling, slipping and erosions etc).
Then, when I happened to come across a girl that had had the sleeve, I just new that it was my answer. I have done my research and...
I have no reservations about the surgery whatsoever.....It is my "paddlock on the pantry door"!!

Just do your research and ask heaps of questions. Have a look at:

http://www.lapsf.com/weight-loss-surgeries.html - (someone else posted it on this site and it compares all the different types of WLS).
Look at the google serches wich will take you to U-Tube stories etc of the procedures.

All the best with your decision, only you can make the right one for you!!.....sorry if I have freaked you out!
Back to top Go down
Cuddly Kat
Part of the furniture
Cuddly Kat

Female
Number of posts : 352
Registration date : 2009-07-14

Roux-en-Y Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roux-en-Y   Roux-en-Y EmptyThu 15 Apr 2010, 12:58 pm

Hi Ssjad

I started out wanting a band but I have read a lot of stories about them eroding and doing damage so I decided to go with the sleeve (I know there are band successes as well but this is just my choice...)

I realise that the sleeve is irreversible but what I like about it is that there is no malabsorptive part like with some other weight loss surgeries (so less likely to get too skinny, no?) and no food getting stuck as can happen with the band & the food uses the same openings to get in & out of your stomach, same as everyone else.

Its hard when so few GP's know about the sleeve & they keep using the band and bypass cuz its all they know & these are all they have that have long term studies on but I've read a few members on this site who have been sleeved for 3 years or more with no problems and I find that comforting.

Good luck with your research, there are lots of great member's stories on here, I hope you find this helpful, cheers, Katrina
Back to top Go down
Peazles
Part of the furniture
Peazles

Female
Number of posts : 1011
Registration date : 2010-02-14

Roux-en-Y Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roux-en-Y   Roux-en-Y EmptyThu 15 Apr 2010, 12:52 pm

That's really interesting, he did Lisab and Donski on here and they both highly recommended him.
Back to top Go down
ssjad
Part of the furniture
ssjad

Female
Number of posts : 970
Registration date : 2010-03-21

Roux-en-Y Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roux-en-Y   Roux-en-Y EmptyThu 15 Apr 2010, 12:25 pm

Oh, he also doesn't like removing the stomach - he says one of his sleeve patients is too skinny now and can't maintain or put on weight, and it worries him that he can't really do anything to fix her as her stomach is now gone for good (well, the part that was chopped out).
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female
Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

Roux-en-Y Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roux-en-Y   Roux-en-Y EmptyThu 15 Apr 2010, 12:24 pm

if he thinks sleeves stretch i wouldnt let him do any surgery on me. a sleeve only stretchs when not done right. if his results say stretch it is a red flag.

you will always find somebody with a RNY who will tell you it is amazing same with the band but the horror stories and the documented failure rates speak for themselves.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
ssjad
Part of the furniture
ssjad

Female

Roux-en-Y Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roux-en-Y   Roux-en-Y EmptyThu 15 Apr 2010, 12:13 pm

Yeah, I was pretty sure this was the type of bypass surgery you were dead against, Apple... I'll keep reading...

Peazles, he says he prefers it because a) it's got longer term study results for it and b) the sleeve stretches (his words, not mine). He hasn't outright said no yet, but he was very hesitant to do the sleeve. I have yet to see dietician, psych etc so have some time to study up.
Back to top Go down
Peazles
Part of the furniture
Peazles

Female
Number of posts : 1011
Registration date : 2010-02-14

Roux-en-Y Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roux-en-Y   Roux-en-Y EmptyThu 15 Apr 2010, 11:45 am

ssjad wrote:
Hi guys.

My surgeon (Ian Michell) had a cancellation today (yay!) so I went in a couple of weeks earlier than expected for my initial consultation. He rather surprised me as he said he'd rather do the roux-en-y bypass than the sleeve. I have to admit I haven't really heard too much about it.... has anyone here had it? Anyone know much about it? Pros and cons...

Thanks,
Ssjad

Hi Ssjad
Did Ian Michell say why he preferred it over the sleeve?
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female
Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

Roux-en-Y Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roux-en-Y   Roux-en-Y EmptyThu 15 Apr 2010, 11:41 am

seriously do not do this surgery. it has a failure rate of between 40-60% after 5 years. it is a nightmare living with a band like pouch. this is the surgery done in the US read their support forums they read like a lapband forum. 10 people screaming how good it is and 100's being made to feel like crap because they dare open their mouths and say it has failed.

the pouch stretchs as it is done on the stretchy part of the sromach. the oprning they do in the pouch fails and food flushes stright though. dumping and i mean some people pass out.

this is americas nightmare like bands are australias. if you are hell bent on bypass look at a DS it is the second part to a sleeve tho finding a surgeon with the skill to do it here in australia will not be easy.

dont take my word for it read the american forums.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
ssjad
Part of the furniture
ssjad

Female

Roux-en-Y Empty
PostSubject: Roux-en-Y   Roux-en-Y EmptyThu 15 Apr 2010, 11:18 am

Hi guys.

My surgeon (Ian Michell) had a cancellation today (yay!) so I went in a couple of weeks earlier than expected for my initial consultation. He rather surprised me as he said he'd rather do the roux-en-y bypass than the sleeve. I have to admit I haven't really heard too much about it.... has anyone here had it? Anyone know much about it? Pros and cons...

Thanks,
Ssjad
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Roux-en-Y Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roux-en-Y   Roux-en-Y Empty

Back to top Go down

Roux-en-Y
Page 1 of 1