AuthorMessage
TexasBell
Part of the furniture
TexasBell

Female
Number of posts : 239
Registration date : 2009-11-05

Bah! Humbug - The Hunger's back Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bah! Humbug - The Hunger's back   Bah! Humbug - The Hunger's back EmptySat 29 May 2010, 4:30 am

Hi Kaysa9, I felt hungry until about week 8 after surgery but luckily it has pretty much completely gone now & only usually feel hungry around dinner time. I did plateau from week 3 to 7 and think it partly could have been because I was snacking more because of the hunger, now eating pretty much 3 times a day and the weight is slowly going down again. I think applesauce on here suggested it could also have something to do with reflux. Give it some time, it gets better.
Back to top Go down
kaysa9
kaysa9

Female
Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2010-04-25

PostSubject: Re: Bah! Humbug - The Hunger's back   Bah! Humbug - The Hunger's back EmptyThu 27 May 2010, 6:57 pm

I am in the end of my third week after surgery, and for two days I have been really hungry. Perhaps it has to do with the fact that I am now on mushed foods, and unable to eat so much?
Did anyone have the same experience?

Regarding the Ghreline hormone, I was told that Some ghrelin was made in the intestines as well, and it was not possible to remove it completely by a sleeve. I have also read that after some time our clever body compensates the lack of ghreline by producing it elsewhere in the stomach area.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
*Lib*
Top Poster
Top Poster
*Lib*

Female
Number of posts : 1594
Registration date : 2009-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Bah! Humbug - The Hunger's back   Bah! Humbug - The Hunger's back EmptySun 23 May 2010, 1:35 am

I am 13 months out and my hunger is back with a vengance. I wake up hungry in the morning,but I can eat a lot less to satisfy it.
Back to top Go down
SamiB
Part of the furniture
SamiB

Female
Number of posts : 232
Registration date : 2010-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Bah! Humbug - The Hunger's back   Bah! Humbug - The Hunger's back EmptySun 23 May 2010, 1:08 am

Hi Guys,
i had the band and ate nothing but crap continually. i'm being sleeved next week and intend to make it a lifestyle change. i think the key here is protein protein protein !!! the thing with protein is that it curbs sugar cravings as well as filling you up AND makes your metabolism work overtime to burn it off.. I read that some of you don't like meat- eggs are protein, have a crack at them !
Hope this helps a smidge,
Sami
Back to top Go down
http://sosamalicious.blogspot.com
Neale

Male
Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Bah! Humbug - The Hunger's back   Bah! Humbug - The Hunger's back EmptySat 22 May 2010, 9:56 pm

I find nyself feeling hungry also - alot more than I would have expected. I usually try drinking water first to see if that will fill me up, followed by a drink of (diet) Coke if it doesn't. I do find if I'm not drinking enough I tend to eat more (although lets be honest, it's not like we can eat much). I'm going to try the pouch test to see if it makes a differance or not. Additionally, I never ate sweets much before the surgery but find myself craving them - never expected that to happen. On the plus side, I get cravings for some healthy foods also. I have never liked any type of fish or seafood (other than breaded and fried shrimp), but now I actually like shrimp (non-breaded) and tuna! I am learning to like my new self before, I can actually get full off of a banana!
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female
Number of posts : 7036
Registration date : 2008-06-02

PostSubject: Re: Bah! Humbug - The Hunger's back   Bah! Humbug - The Hunger's back EmptyWed 21 Apr 2010, 6:52 am

Hear hear, Lynette - I'm menopausal and the sugar cravings are really getting me! You're exactly right, though - eat a balanced meal and then you can't fit in the crap as easily...
Back to top Go down
newlife
Part of the furniture
newlife

Female
Number of posts : 1020
Registration date : 2008-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Bah! Humbug - The Hunger's back   Bah! Humbug - The Hunger's back EmptyWed 21 Apr 2010, 3:49 am

Hey there, I can so relate to the sugar cravings. I am now 18+ months out and the last 6 months my weight has been stable, ie go up and down the same 2kgs. But I have also been craving sweet stuff whereas before the sleeve I was more of a savory person (except chocolate) and yes it is easy to give in to those temptations because the surgary stuff like chocolate is so easy to go down. And yes, I get hungry too. But I am also perimenopausal and my cycles and hormones are all over the place, so think this is part of the issue. However, I do still try and fill up on the good stuff first, before I give in to the sugar cravings, if you fill up on healthy stuff first then you will eat much less of the crap. And filling up on healthy food, like the protein takes longer to digest so should help with the hunger. Still that said, I know I have to be stricter with myself as well as I still want to lose a few more kgs yet. OK, better stop buying chocolate. Ho Hum.
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female

PostSubject: Re: Bah! Humbug - The Hunger's back   Bah! Humbug - The Hunger's back EmptyTue 20 Apr 2010, 11:17 pm

Hi there
The grehlin is only lessened, not taken away completely, as I understand it.
I wasn't really hungry at all for the first year or so, but do get hungry now, and sometimes I get really hungry.
But the great thing is that it's so easily satisfied now - a far cry from how it used to be for me.
So the sleeve is doing its job, and I'm still happy with it.
The hardest thing for me is fighting head hunger. This was also easier in the first year after the op, but has become quite tough for me over the last 6 months or so especially. Ho hum - some things never change!
BUT - I can no longer do the same amount of damage to myself, even if I do give in to the head hunger. AND it's much easier to lose the weight again if I put some on, just by cutting out the crap and going back to a normal sleevers diet.
Best of luck.
Chris
Back to top Go down
JudyC
JudyC

Female
Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2010-04-02

PostSubject: That worries me   Bah! Humbug - The Hunger's back EmptyTue 20 Apr 2010, 4:04 pm

Hi, I am being sleeved in a day's time and it concerns me that hair loss is being mentioned, I have fine, very thin hair now and would hate to lose any more, I have heard nothing from my Dr re this or any other side effects of the sleeve. Can someone please tell me what to do to prevent this. What other physical side effects have been noted please. Also worried when I read that getting enough protein is hard to maintain. Please tell me what vitamins and minerals I need to take to stay healthy after the sleeve op. I thought that eventually I would return to normal eating (but lots less - portion sizes have always been a problem to me) and my health would stay the same.

Beginning to feel like is there any point having the sleeve done if there are so many down sides to it. I would hate to do this op only to find it makes no difference to my life. I am 5' 2" and weighed 121kg b4 Opti and now weigh 115.5kg day b4 surgery so know I am grossly overweight for my height. I am 58 years old. PLEASE if you have any comments, I would love to hear them. Please help me as I am so unsure now whether I am doing the right thing.

Thanks for your help,
Judy
Back to top Go down
lindabinda
Top Poster
Top Poster
lindabinda

Female
Number of posts : 1884
Registration date : 2009-07-31

PostSubject: Re: Bah! Humbug - The Hunger's back   Bah! Humbug - The Hunger's back EmptyTue 09 Mar 2010, 2:07 am

Hi Annden and others,
What a variety of replies!!!! I like to read and take the bits I feel pertinent to me......I am back to see my surgeon this week for I spose my 6 month visit, will be interesting to know what my grehlin hormone result was but it was done in December so probably has changed again anyhow! LOL
I have been feeling tired and looking pale but I think that may be just me. The dietitian told me I should probably take vitamins, iron ,fish oil and the hair and nails vitamins for the rest of my life. She felt if I stopped i would suffer deficiencies.
I only lately have started to try and eat fruit and vegies more often, though I do have a half glass juice with my morning pills most mornings. I would rather use my calories on other things!
Good luck and let us know how you go with the pouch test won't you, I have thought about it but it is too soon and I still remember how unwell i felt on the opti. I need to exercise some patience!!!
Linda :)
Back to top Go down
Annden
Annden

Female
Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2008-10-13

PostSubject: Thanks Ladies   Bah! Humbug - The Hunger's back EmptyMon 08 Mar 2010, 3:29 am

Thanks ladies very much for the very much appreciated tips - gonna try that 5 day pouch test, where do I get the test on line. I'm sure its the insulin thing but my blood tests from the doctor show I have excellent glucose resistence since the op which I thought meant I wouldnt get these damn sugar cravings again. I think I will get an appointment with my dietician. At least I now see Im not the only one dealing with cravings post sleeve. Unfortunately, I thought the sleeve would solve all that.......rats.... Thanks again

Annden
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female

PostSubject: Re: Bah! Humbug - The Hunger's back   Bah! Humbug - The Hunger's back EmptyFri 05 Mar 2010, 4:35 am

Hi Annden and everyone
Firstly, congrats on getting down to such a low weight - well done!
It seems as though you have personal issues with meat, and this might be more of a problem to do with that, than with the sleeve (unless you're taking bites that are too big and not chewing it well enough, or having just a little too much at a time)? I have no idea why fruit is a problem, either. However if you feel that it is physical, I suggest you go back and see your doctor, as you should not have a physical problem eating anything much due to the sleeve.
Eating nuts is a great idea - I do this regularly, especially when I'm having a 'big hunger' day. Of course this doesn't even compare to hungry days pre-op, but nuts are quick and easy and full of protein.
On days when I have savoury carb cravings, I try to reach for the rice crackers - half a dozen with a little hommous (for the protein) or tzaziki is a good sleever snack.
For the first 12 months or so, my sweet cravings were dramatically curbed from pre-op, and easily satisfied with just a freddo frog or similar. Then, about 6 months ago, I began to get really serious sugar cravings again, and also found that they weren't as easily satisfied. I have to tell you, though, that this had nothing to do with the sleeve - it was simply a recurrence of old problems and a good kick in the butt to remind me that the sleeve is simply a tool to help me, not a magic solution to my eating disorder.
I hope that you can deal with your sugar cravings and get back on track with a healthy diet - it took me a while, but I'm winning again now.
Good luck.
Back to top Go down
vchaney
vchaney

Female
Number of posts : 82
Registration date : 2009-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Bah! Humbug - The Hunger's back   Bah! Humbug - The Hunger's back EmptyThu 04 Mar 2010, 8:28 pm

Just sitting here browsing.I am 12.5 months out.Really happy with the results BUT am sitting here starving hungry after a Tony Ferguson shake followed by a cuppa over 30 mins later.Actually have a pain in my tummy from hunger.The blessing is that I know if I weaken and decide to pig out then that pig out will just be a piece of wholemeal toast.BUT not always so good.I am awaiting results from my 12month blood tests.I am hoping I get a good nudge to eat better once I see them.
I have joined the gym-Curves-and it gives me the incentive to stop at the fruit shop to buy beautiful fruit-already sliced and presented yummily.Then I get home,unwrap, it take a small bite and that is it.I just can't digest it.On the other hand ice-cream and choc slide down so easily.

So Annden I know where yoy are coming from and no doubt you realise that like me that some of our problems are brain related while others relate to taste buds or something else? I am too lazy to work out that something else.

One of my probs also lies with food preparation with meat/chicken.As a child I found it very difficult eating meat products that my father provided from our farm.The thought of eating the animals I fed sickened me.Now those same feelings akin to cannibalism are returning whenever I see raw meat.Eating out has helped and most places allow you to take home a doggy bag with the meat/veges intact.I have started to graze on nuts in the hope the protein boost will be beneficial.I have also started adding some of the pre-op protein shakes into my diet again to raise protein levels.

The one thing I find amusing is pasta and I wonder if others are the same. I can eat shells and fettucini but not penne or spaghetti. What is the diff in density of large shells and penne or spaghetti or fettucini.

Must go.Off to the gym to try and lose that last lot of chub!!

Annden I agree with Keridwyn about the carb hunger.I think if I did the '5 day pouch test' it would work wonders to get me out of my current craving for carbs and no weight loss stage.Also listen to your friends.I have a very supportive friend and she has told me that she is concerned about the ratio of healthy food I am eating compared to junk.Hearing her concern has made me stop buying the 4 packs of Magnums every 4 days!!
Google the '5 Day Pouch Test'.It might help you.Curves also have a free diet plan that has a low protein high carb pathway and the reverse for people like us.That is available online and looks good.

For me I had the sleeve done because I thought I would never have to worry about what went into my mouth again.As we all know that is not the reality.
Back to top Go down
Keridwyn
Part of the furniture
Keridwyn

Female
Number of posts : 304
Registration date : 2009-05-03

PostSubject: Re: Bah! Humbug - The Hunger's back   Bah! Humbug - The Hunger's back EmptyTue 02 Mar 2010, 8:18 pm

It sounds very much that you have carb hunger. You eat certain carbs and the impact on blood insulin in your body means that you get told "more please". The only way to tell will be to do something like the 5 pouch test (making sure you stay zero or very low carb) and see if it goes away. Another option would be to try only low GI carbs and see if things improve.

If you are maintaining then what you eat is up to you but you do need to understand how what you eat affects you, etc. That is nothing to do with the surgery choice you made, which seems to have been very successful :)

I am 9 months post op and never had the "Ghrelin hunger" turn off something many imply is guaranteed with this surgery. It is important to understand that while the majority of Ghrelin is produced in the fundus which is removed it is also produced in other places inc the pancreas). My journey as a result has been very different from that of many.
Back to top Go down
Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Janette

Female
Number of posts : 4341
Registration date : 2009-09-13

PostSubject: Re: Bah! Humbug - The Hunger's back   Bah! Humbug - The Hunger's back EmptyTue 02 Mar 2010, 6:57 pm

In your first post you say you are experiencing hunger........well if you are eating ice cream, fruit toast, cereal (usually cheerios), peanut butter, chocolate and digestive biscuits, there is no protein in there and you probably are hungry! Thats one every unhealthy diet, I hope you are eating some healthy food in there as well.

I have no answer on the sweet carvings, I am only 3 months out, and not at all interested in anything sweet.

Hope you can work it out. Bah! Humbug - The Hunger's back 217555
Back to top Go down
Annden
Annden

Female

PostSubject: Re: Bah! Humbug - The Hunger's back   Bah! Humbug - The Hunger's back EmptyTue 02 Mar 2010, 2:16 pm

Im not saying there is anything wrong with the sleeve. Just commenting that my food preferences have changed completely. Of course, I can discipline myself to eat my vegies, but I dont enjoy them anymore or meat. I used to love them before. Also, when first sleeved in the first 6 months, the grehlin hormone that causes you to be hungry all the time was controlled but now not so. I am merely noticing that whilst I DO eat meat and vegies, I dont enjoy them anymore and no matter what amount of protein I eat, I still crave sweet things. Also I am not getting much restriction in food intake as stated in previous post, the only time my tummy restricts food (and i do mean restrict) is when I try to put down some meat. It simply closes up against the meat, yet lets me eat lots of other stuff without feeling full. I'm sorry you seem to have misunderstood me - it was simply me reaching out to see if anybody else experienced this switch in food preferences.

Annden
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female
Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Bah! Humbug - The Hunger's back   Bah! Humbug - The Hunger's back EmptyTue 02 Mar 2010, 1:24 pm

I must be missing the problem, you are at 50kg able to eat all that rubbish. I do not see a problem it is not as tho you are unable to eat healthy food, you are not 2 years old and need to be made to eat your veggies. You are a grown up and have to make that choice yourself. You state the hunger is back yet state you are still fully restricted with the volume you eat. I must be missing something but I just do not see a problem that is anything to do with the sleeve.

Your post just makes no sense, you seem to have lost all your weight, be maintining it have proper restriction and just chooce to eat what you do. I am not sure what anybody can do besides pretend to be your mother and tell you to eat your veg.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
Annden
Annden

Female

PostSubject: My disgusting post op diet   Bah! Humbug - The Hunger's back EmptyTue 02 Mar 2010, 12:37 pm

Im down to 50.8kg. Sleeved October 2008. Cravings for sweet things is my problem. The thing is I cant eat much meat at all and all I want is ice cream, fruit toast, cereal (usually cheerios), peanut butter, chocolate and digestive biscuits. Horrible as this diet sounds, its the only things I want. I still take Elevit (thank goodness for that). I stopped it for a while and my hair started to fall out so I had to restart. Except for cheese, I seem to have lost my taste for savoury things completely. Any suggestions or similarities amongst you 12month plus sleevers would be appreciated. I would hate to undo the good work .

Annden Perth Bah! Humbug - The Hunger's back 697586
Back to top Go down
Caz
Sponsor
Caz

Female
Number of posts : 5909
Registration date : 2009-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Bah! Humbug - The Hunger's back   Bah! Humbug - The Hunger's back EmptyTue 02 Mar 2010, 3:53 am

I am a year post-op and do get hungry occasionally (difficult to know if it is head hunger because it often happens when I'm stressed).

But eating just a little satisfies me - can't just keep eating, that's for sure!
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female
Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Bah! Humbug - The Hunger's back   Bah! Humbug - The Hunger's back EmptyTue 02 Mar 2010, 3:50 am

I get the hungry bit even tho I do not feel it quiet a few do, but it is easy sated with just a tiny bit of food. the never being full bit is what I do not understand.

Give us an example of what you are eating in a day, what foods in what amounts, and after you eat what ever it is how long it keeps you satisfied. that might help us work out what is the problem.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
*Lib*
Top Poster
Top Poster
*Lib*

Female
Number of posts : 1594
Registration date : 2009-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Bah! Humbug - The Hunger's back   Bah! Humbug - The Hunger's back EmptyTue 02 Mar 2010, 2:43 am

Yep I get hungry. No longer just the empty feeling. I am out nearly 11 months.
Back to top Go down
mapmar
Top Poster
Top Poster
mapmar

Female
Number of posts : 2342
Registration date : 2009-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Bah! Humbug - The Hunger's back   Bah! Humbug - The Hunger's back EmptyMon 01 Mar 2010, 11:47 am

I am only 3 months out from surgery.... so can't really help you.. but could suggest has anything changed in your life... have you reduced your water/fluid intake, have you been eating different types of meals etc..... or taking a new medication?
Back to top Go down
Annden
Annden

Female

PostSubject: Bah! Humbug - The Hunger's back   Bah! Humbug - The Hunger's back EmptyMon 01 Mar 2010, 9:50 am

Hi - I got sleeved in Perth in October 2008 and have had a great result. I chose the sleeve instead of the band because I read that the hormone "grellin" (I think its called) no longer was part of your tummy and thus didnt experience unusual hunger. This was right at first, but now Im a year on and my appetite has come back big time and I once again never feel full. anybody had any results like this? It isnt a phase, its been like this for the last 5 months at least.

Annden, Perth
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bah! Humbug - The Hunger's back   Bah! Humbug - The Hunger's back Empty

Back to top Go down

Bah! Humbug - The Hunger's back
Page 1 of 1