Go down 
+3
chrisbychic
Donna-lee
Pinkchick
7 posters
AuthorMessage

Brand New yet to be sleeved from perth! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brand New yet to be sleeved from perth!   Brand New yet to be sleeved from perth! EmptyThu 06 Nov 2008, 7:03 am

Yeah, it sure is Pink. i'd even say its a bigger worry.

I was already overweight, and I still packed on 40 odd kg with my youngest, say hello to gestational diabeties. I also got some weird thing with my pelvis, it felt like all the bones were squirming out of place. i could barely get out of the chair (could make it to the pantry and fridge though! ) It was pertty awful. Even now nearly 17 years later, i still get a frozen hip from time to time...good thing i've got a sence of humour! Walking along like quazimoto, can't stand, can't sit, can't lie down, its hillarious..in an excruiatingly painfull sort of way!

If i had to go through that pregenancy again, i'd be banging on the door for a sleeve first :)

Bell
Back to top Go down
Donna-lee
Part of the furniture
Donna-lee

Female
Number of posts : 303
Registration date : 2008-06-01

PostSubject: Re: Brand New yet to be sleeved from perth!   Brand New yet to be sleeved from perth! EmptyThu 06 Nov 2008, 6:15 am

I agree with you Donna I had the great man as well, and everything went fine..Could not have asked for a better doc or nicer man..

Donna-lee
Back to top Go down
maddocker
maddocker

Female
Number of posts : 71
Registration date : 2008-07-04

PostSubject: Re: Brand New yet to be sleeved from perth!   Brand New yet to be sleeved from perth! EmptyThu 06 Nov 2008, 1:43 am

Hi,
I too had the great man, I had no dramas at all in hospital or post op. He is lovely and after reading other peoples posts on here I never had any of the problems some people do with other Docs.
Back to top Go down
Pinkchick
Pinkchick

Female
Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2008-10-29

PostSubject: Thanks   Brand New yet to be sleeved from perth! EmptyThu 06 Nov 2008, 12:01 am

Thanks Bell and Tickled. Now I don't feel like a freak!!! Tickled I will be right after you as I have to be there at 1.00pm me may just get to meet anyway if we don't we have to post that night on here!
I guess your right about the pregnancy thing Bell, and being obese and pregnant is also classed as high risk right?

Pinkchic
Back to top Go down
Tamara
Part of the furniture
Tamara

Female
Number of posts : 699
Registration date : 2008-10-31

PostSubject: Re: Brand New yet to be sleeved from perth!   Brand New yet to be sleeved from perth! EmptyWed 05 Nov 2008, 11:32 pm

Hey I am having my gastroscopy next Thursday too!!
I have to be at Murdoch by 12:15pm.

As for all the risks, I too got a little freaked out. But legally they have to tell you everything that can possibly go wrong. I had a c/s when I had my daughter, and the list of things that could go wrong was as long as my arm, but you know what I was fine.
When I asked him about having another baby after having the band or sleeve, he just told me that I would have to let my obsterician know, and her, the dietician and him would have to work closely together to make sure that I was receiving proper nutrition.

And the final point in my essay - is that no you are not being selfish. You want to be here to watch your baby grow up, what's wrong with that.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Brand New yet to be sleeved from perth!   Brand New yet to be sleeved from perth! EmptyWed 05 Nov 2008, 11:17 pm

Hi Pink Chick

I'm so hearing ya!

I can't get the thought out of my head...am i so hopless that i need to let someone chop me up ao that i can loose some dam weight!..Look at the risks!

The answer...*shrug* Yep!...

Now i just have to accept it and move on. are you listening Bell? Accept it and move on! LOL!

But seriously, i don't know about you, but this is my last resort. if i could do it any other way i would have done it (and have done it) already. Nothing else works.

You aren't being selfish at all. You are trying to get your life back for your family as much as your self. You'd be surprised how many medical issues cause a preganency to be labled 'high risk'. Some of them leave you scratching your head. I could be wrong... anyone feel free to correct me... but i can only see a sleeve preganency being high risk because you may not be able to eat enough. Which can be overcome with careful planning. I would call it highER risk not HIGH risk. They will probably just keep a closer watch on you, and carefully moniter the babies growth and your weight. And he said himself that he had never had a sleeve baby, so he is probably only reacting on the side of caution. There must be other ladies out there who have had a bub whilst sleeved, if you're really concerned about it why don't you see if you can google anything up on it?

Good luck with your gast-icantspellit :P, next thursday. You're a bit ahead of me, i guess you will get a date after the results on the test is in. Its all so scary/exciting/nervewracking (there must be a one-word for that feeling!?).

Bell
Back to top Go down
Pinkchick
Pinkchick

Female

PostSubject: Back Again   Brand New yet to be sleeved from perth! EmptyWed 05 Nov 2008, 9:51 pm

Hi,
Thanks for your well wishes yesterday. Okay had my appointment with Dr Ahmad yesterday and all went well. He is really nice and down to earth and says it like it is. I have to admit I am am a little freaked out about all of the risks etc. I know it is a major surgery and not to be taken lightly. Maybe its just that fat person in my self concious that keeps saying "what are you doing to yourself you don't need this you want to be able to eat as much food as you like forever"
But I know deep down that this is what I need to do. Did anyone else feel like this?
Any I am booked in for the gastroscopy on 13th Nov and have made dieticien/excercise guy appointments for early december so I guess is all systems go. Dr A did say that if I wanted another baby it would be classed as a high risk pregnancy and he hasn't had any other patients be pregnant with the sleeve. Plenty with the band but not the sleeve. But I really don't want the band and now I feel selfish. But the reality is I may not be around to see my kids grow up if I don't do this.

Pinkchic
Back to top Go down
Tamara
Part of the furniture
Tamara

Female

PostSubject: Re: Brand New yet to be sleeved from perth!   Brand New yet to be sleeved from perth! EmptyTue 04 Nov 2008, 11:36 pm

Good luck today!!!!
Back to top Go down
Donna-lee
Part of the furniture
Donna-lee

Female

PostSubject: Re: Brand New yet to be sleeved from perth!   Brand New yet to be sleeved from perth! EmptyTue 04 Nov 2008, 11:12 pm

Hi Pinkchic,

hope everything goes ok with your drs appointment

Donna-lee
Back to top Go down
Pinkchick
Pinkchick

Female

PostSubject: Care plan   Brand New yet to be sleeved from perth! EmptyTue 04 Nov 2008, 6:56 am

Hi Everyone,
Just letting you know that I got my care plan today from my GP and I'm off to see Dr Ahmad in the morning I am so excited!!

Pinkchic
Back to top Go down
kalgirl
Part of the furniture
kalgirl

Female
Number of posts : 343
Registration date : 2008-10-09

PostSubject: Re: Brand New yet to be sleeved from perth!   Brand New yet to be sleeved from perth! EmptyFri 31 Oct 2008, 11:30 am

KALGIRL...diary

pink times two!

girls, you might be interested in the link to my diary that i have pasted above.
i have just finished giving an overview of my time so far with mr ahmad and his team.
it might give you a rough idea of what to expect over the next few months.
Back to top Go down
Tamara
Part of the furniture
Tamara

Female

PostSubject: Re: Brand New yet to be sleeved from perth!   Brand New yet to be sleeved from perth! EmptyFri 31 Oct 2008, 10:41 am

No, he never gave me a date as such. But did say that all the pre-op appointments (with the dietician, physician, and exercise guy) would take about 4-6 weeks, so I guess that would take us into December. But I am sure that he will be taking holidays around Christmas, so I dont expect to have the op until January sometime.
Back to top Go down
Pinkchick
Pinkchick

Female

PostSubject: Thanks Tickled Pink   Brand New yet to be sleeved from perth! EmptyFri 31 Oct 2008, 9:17 am

Maybe us two pinkies will be getting sleeved around the same time!!! My hubby has family coming over for christmas as I am not telling them so I hope not over chrissy. Did Dr A give you any indication how soon he would operate?

Pinkchic
Back to top Go down
Tamara
Part of the furniture
Tamara

Female

PostSubject: Re: Brand New yet to be sleeved from perth!   Brand New yet to be sleeved from perth! EmptyFri 31 Oct 2008, 8:57 am

HI PinkChick

Im from Perth also, and also seeing Mr Ahmad (I saw him on Monday for my first appointment).

Good luck with your appointment next week, and make sure you let us know how you go
Back to top Go down
Pinkchick
Pinkchick

Female

PostSubject: Thanks Kalgirl   Brand New yet to be sleeved from perth! EmptyFri 31 Oct 2008, 8:52 am

Thanks for your kind works Kalgirl! 5 sleeps till I see Dr A. I grew up in Kalgoorlie and my folks still live there. Its a small world.

Pinkchic
Back to top Go down
kalgirl
Part of the furniture
kalgirl

Female
Number of posts : 343
Registration date : 2008-10-09

PostSubject: Re: Brand New yet to be sleeved from perth!   Brand New yet to be sleeved from perth! EmptyThu 30 Oct 2008, 9:21 am

hi pinkchic

i too am seeing mr ahmad and will be sleeved on novemebr 12th at SJOGM.

he's a total sweetie, as is his dietician nikki and her sports physio hubby simon.

today i had the gastroscopy and it was a breeze. you're in good hands!

welcome to the site...i know you'll love all the wealth of support and info from the members here.
Back to top Go down
Kaili
Part of the furniture
Kaili

Female
Number of posts : 340
Registration date : 2008-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Brand New yet to be sleeved from perth!   Brand New yet to be sleeved from perth! EmptyThu 30 Oct 2008, 3:10 am

Welcome Pinkchic.

Good luck with your appointment next week.

Most peope are advised not to do any heavy lifting/pulling/pushing for the first 6 weeks post op while your body is healing.

I went into hospital at Monday lunchtime and came out at Thursday lunchtime.

Like you, I was worried about having my stomach sleeved. My thought was 'What if I need my stomach for some reason later on in life?' My dietician told me that if for some reason something did go wrong in the future (ie. cancer) and I did need to be able to consume additional calories etc, that there were other ways to be fed. This made me feel a lot better and was what made me change from saying 'if' to 'when' I have surgery.

There's a Perth get together coming up later this month (see the Perth Get Together board for more information) which you're welcome to come along to. I know speaking to applesauce and the bad applesauce before my surgery really helped me.

Good luck!

Kaili.
Back to top Go down
Pinkchick
Pinkchick

Female

PostSubject: Thanks Heaps!   Brand New yet to be sleeved from perth! EmptyThu 30 Oct 2008, 1:45 am

Thanks heaps guys that's just what I needed to hear. Tell me Shadowmumma is it true that you can't lift anything heavier than a phonebook after your op? My mum will be coming to stay for a few days after and hubby will help out but I won't be able to not pick up my boy for 6 weeks!!! Also how long was everyone's stay in hosp?

Pinkchic
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female
Number of posts : 7036
Registration date : 2008-06-02

PostSubject: Re: Brand New yet to be sleeved from perth!   Brand New yet to be sleeved from perth! EmptyThu 30 Oct 2008, 12:02 am

Hi Pinkchick and welcome to the forum
There are a lot of people in similar positions, and if you look around the forum you will find lots of reassuring words of wisdom.
Most of us looked at the band and said no for whatever reason, but there are a lot on here who tried the band first and are now converting, too.
Take a look around, and I'm sure you'll be reassured.
Chris
Back to top Go down
Donna-lee
Part of the furniture
Donna-lee

Female

PostSubject: Re: Brand New yet to be sleeved from perth!   Brand New yet to be sleeved from perth! EmptyWed 29 Oct 2008, 11:51 pm

Hi pinkchic,

welcome to the forum. I had Dr Hairul Ahmad and the man is my god..Like you I have been overweight all my life BUT no longer thankyou to Hairul. Because of him I have already lost roughly 20kg (5 weeks out)..He advised me to think about what I wanted not anyone else. To me the sleeve was the better of the 2 options as it didnt involve fills etc and after alot of research decided that more seems to go wrong with the band (my opinion) and with 3 kids wanted to be able to set and forget..

my decision to have the sleeve HAD every thing to do with wanting to be around to watch them grow and for me to have a better quality of life...the op its self wasn't so bad a bit of shoulder pain, no leaks( dr A) checks this by ct before you leave hospital.
He is a very straight forward doctor so if you have any doubts/questions he will tell you as honestly as he can..

Goodluck
Donna-lee
Back to top Go down
Pinkchick
Pinkchick

Female

PostSubject: Brand New yet to be sleeved from perth!   Brand New yet to be sleeved from perth! EmptyWed 29 Oct 2008, 11:36 pm

Hi everyone, I am still yet to be sleeved, I have my first appointment with Dr Hairul Ahmad at SJOG next wednesday. Originally I wanted the lap band but I am really leaning towards to sleeve instead. I don't want the hassle of having to get fills and getting food stuck etc. But I'm really scared about the thought of having my stomach stapled and leakages etc. Can anyone who has been here give me some wise words or reassurance? I have spent my whole life being overweight and I have a 7mnth old little boy who I absolutely adore and I don't want him to know me like I am I just want to be good role model for him and to not pass on any weight issues to him.Sorry for the whinge! Brand New yet to be sleeved from perth! 32773
Any help at all would be greatly appreciated!!

Pinkchic in Perth
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Brand New yet to be sleeved from perth!   Brand New yet to be sleeved from perth! Empty

Back to top Go down

Brand New yet to be sleeved from perth!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: Welcome! :: Welcomes, Introductions & General Chit Chat :: Introductions!-
Jump to: